Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Jesus in the Qur'an

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Hello, my friends! My name is Tony, and I am new to this site. I am a follower of the teachings of Isa, and I am not here to convince you my religion is better than yours. I am here for friendly, open, and honest dialogue. I do believe the media and social media has created many false representations of both Christians and Muslims. I have many Muslim and Christian friends, and their character is different than the portrayal in the media. I am a lifelong learner, hence my reason for joining this site. I want to continue to learn more about my Muslim friends, beliefs, and culture.

I believe the most significant divide between followers of Isa al Masih and Muslims, is the person of Jesus. According to Wikipedia (Jesus in Islam), “He is one of the most mentioned people in the Qur'an by reference; 25 times by the name Isa, third-person 48 times, first-person 35 times, and the rest as titles and attributes.”

So back to the title of the post. I only know a few of the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and I am looking at that from a biblical perspective. So, to learn, what are the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and what does it mean to you? 

Blessings to you!

6 hours ago, Tony M said:

Hello, my friends! My name is Tony, and I am new to this site. I am a follower of the teachings of Isa, and I am not here to convince you my religion is better than yours. I am here for friendly, open, and honest dialogue. I do believe the media and social media has created many false representations of both Christians and Muslims. I have many Muslim and Christian friends, and their character is different than the portrayal in the media. I am a lifelong learner, hence my reason for joining this site. I want to continue to learn more about my Muslim friends, beliefs, and culture.

I believe the most significant divide between followers of Isa al Masih and Muslims, is the person of Jesus. According to Wikipedia (Jesus in Islam), “He is one of the most mentioned people in the Qur'an by reference; 25 times by the name Isa, third-person 48 times, first-person 35 times, and the rest as titles and attributes.”

So back to the title of the post. I only know a few of the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and I am looking at that from a biblical perspective. So, to learn, what are the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and what does it mean to you? 

Blessings to you!

Welcome Tony M. I'm am also somewhat new to this site. I am a Sunni Muslim, but this forum, as evident by its title, is a Shi'ah forum, and you will largely get a Shi'ah perspective here. You should know that not all Muslims agree regarding Jesus of Nazareth عليه السلام.

According to my interpretation of the Quran, admittedly a minority view, Jesus is deceased, though majority of Muslims believe he is alive, and that he physically ascended, with his corporal body into Heaven.

The Quran states several facts about Jesus, that he was born of the virgin Mary (virgin birth), that he was the Messiah, that he displayed many heavenly Signs like curing the blind, leprosy and raising the dead back to life. I interpret raising dead back to life to mean those who were in the throes of death, and not literally coming out of graves, but again, that is a minority view among Muslims.

The Quran affirms he was the Messiah and a Messenger of God sent to Israel.

The Quran states that "they did not crucify him, but it was made to appear to them (that they crucified him)". There is considerable difference of opinion on the interpretation of this. The mainstream position is that Jesus wasn't put on the cross at all, but God saved him and someone else was crucified in his place whom the Jews or Romans mistakenly thought was Jesus. I consider this interpretation absurd and reject it.

Another view is that Jesus was put on the cross, but he survived the crucifixion without dying. This is known as the swoon theory, and is accepted by a good number of more educated Muslims.

A third view, which I am inclined to accept, is that Jesus was put on the cross, and he died on the cross, but the Quran denies the act of killing him to "them" (Jews). This interpretation is closest to the Biblical account that Jesus "gave up the ghost" while he was on the cross, so it was ultimately God Who caused him to die without the Jews or Romans, and the act of crucifying him, being the means of his death. This was a view that is a minority view among Muslims, but was apparently expressed by some early Muslim exegetes and scholars.

Contrary to Christianity, the Quran denies the divinity of Jesus, and affirms his humanity and mortality.

In my next posts I will discuss more about the Quranic perspective of Jesus, specifically regarding the nature of his ministry and his message. I also hope to discuss the Quranic perspective on John the Baptist, or Yahya Yuhanna as we call him

The methodology of Islam is that we generally accept the Biblical narrative, until and unless it clearly contradicts the Quran. This is certainly my position.

By Biblical narrative, however, I mean the Old Testament, and the four Canonical Gospels. The consensus among Muslims is that we do not recognize Paul as an authorized Apostle of Jesus. Our narrative is that he more or less distorted the Gospel, and presented a false Gospel, centered on the idea of Jesus being a sacrificial lamb who died for the sins of humanity (the doctrine of redemption), and that the Mosaic Law was abrogated, and that the Gospel was meant to be evangelized to all humanity, Jew and Gentile alike. These three aspects of Paul's teaching are contrary to the Quranic/Islamic narrative, which is why we do not regard his epistles.

Coming back to Jesus Christ, the Quran does not give a detailed account of his biography. Some of the more problematic narratives in the Canonical Gospels, like the Census of Quirinius and other things from the Nativity account, are notably omitted from the Quran.

The Quran also devotes considerable content to refuting the concept of the divinity of Christ, and the doctrine of the Trinity.

With respect to Jesus, the Quran particularly mentions him in conjunction with the Holy Spirit. The term "Holy Spirit" is repeated four times in the Quran, and three of those instances it says that God strengthened Jesus with the Holy Spirit. In only one instance does the term Holy Spirit appear without specific mention of Jesus, there it is stated that God sends down the Holy Spirit to strengthen and give resolve to the Believers in general (Surah 16:102)

Most Muslims believe the Holy Spirit is synonymous with Angel Gabriel, but I am skeptical of this view, as that is never explicitly stated in the Quran or even by the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم

At the same time, we certainly do not believe the Holy Spirit is a Person of the triune Godhead.

So the Quran has devoted significant content to the subject of Christology, but I hope to also discuss the Quranic perspective on the nature of Jesus's ministry and message.

The basic idea of Islam regarding Jesus was that he was an apocalyptic prophet, in the same prophetic tradition as his cousin and contemporary John the Baptist (Yahya Yuhanna).

Interestingly, the Quran does not explicitly mention the martyrdom of John the Baptist, although his martyrdom is a historical fact, as it is corroborated by Josephus. But the Quran does have general statements that Prophets were murdered by the Jews.

Another interesting omission, the Quran never explicitly speaks of baptism, which was a key feature of John the Baptist's ministry, again corroborated by Josephus in his brief account of him in Antiquities of the Jews.

The Quran does speak of the disciples of Jesus, termed Hawariyyin. No specific names are ever mentioned, nor is their number ever fixed. The infamous Judas Iscariot and how he betrayed Jesus Christ is also omitted from the Quran.

A critical passage of the Quran where the teachings of Jesus are spelled out:

And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me. (Surah 3:50)

This summarizes the ministry of Jesus as essentially a revivalist effort to bring Israel back to the Torah.

Interestingly, among the various Signs and Miracles of Jesus mentioned in the Quran, his ministry of exorcism - exorcising possessed people of demons - is not explicitly mentioned in the Quran. This is interesting because exorcism is frequently mentioned in connection with Jesus in the Canonical Gospels. Muslims are divided over the reality of demonic possession, some are of the opinion there is no such thing, but I believe there is, partially because it is so strongly affirmed in connection with Jesus in the Canonical Gospels that there must be historical truth to it. There are also accounts of our Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم performing exorcism on demon-possessed individuals.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)

hi
https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-9/section-2-mary-and-jesus

3. It is reported that Abu ‘Abd Allah (‘a) said, “… as for the occultation of Jesus, the Jews and the Christians are agreed that he was killed, so Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, belied them by His saying, 

They did not kill nor crucify him, but it appeared to them so (4:157). 

Likewise, the occultation of al-Qa’im (‘a), then the community will deny it.”3

15. It is reported that Abu al-Hasan Al-Ridha’ (‘a) said: “…And all of the [eleven] Imams after the prophet were killed, some by the sword, the Commander of the Faithful and Husayn, peace be with them, and the rest by poison. The tyrants of their times killed every one of them, and indeed this was done to them, truly, not like anything the extremists (ghulah) or the delegators (mufawidah), may Allah curse them. They say, ‘They (the Imams) were not really killed, and it was only a likeness of their affair that appeared to them.’ 

So, they lied, may the wrath of Allah be upon them. Indeed, the affair of none of the prophets of Allah and His authorities, peace be with them, appeared doubtful to the people, except the affair of Jesus the son of Mary (‘a) alone, for he was raised from the earth alive and his soul was taken between heaven and earth, then he was raised to heaven and his soul was returned to him, and that is what the saying of Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, is about: 

When Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take you to Me, and I will raise you to Me (3:55),

https://www.al-islam.org/jesus-through-shiite-narrations-mahdi-muntazir-qaim

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
11 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

3. It is reported that Abu ‘Abd Allah (‘a) said, “… as for the occultation of Jesus, the Jews and the Christians are agreed that he was killed, so Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, belied them by His saying, 

They did not kill nor crucify him, but it appeared to them so (4:157). 

That isn't a falsification of the claim "Jesus was killed". There's a crucial distinction between saying "Jesus wasn't killed" and "they (xyz) didn't kill Jesus". One is categorical denial that Jesus was killed, while the second statement does not necessarily deny Jesus was killed, only that xyz group killed him.

then he was raised to heaven and his soul was returned to him

Where does the Quran say Jesus was raised to Heaven with his body?

I will raise you to Me (3:55),

Heaven is not mentioned. Allah says He will raise Jesus up to Himself. Unless you believe Allah is in Heaven?

Edited by Cherub786
3 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Allah is in Heaven?

Allah definetly is everywhere .

That isn't a falsification of the claim "Jesus was killed". There's a crucial distinction between saying "Jesus wasn't killed" and "they (xyz) didn't kill Jesus". One is categorical denial that Jesus was killed, while the second statement does not necessarily deny Jesus was killed, only that xyz group killed him.

you are interpreting holy Quran on your wrong understanding & Jewish books .

Where does the Quran say Jesus was raised to Heaven with his body?

instead of Torah read holy Quran because you call yourself a muslim but you have no idea about holy Quran except a wrong jewish (Wahabi) interpretation from it  

43 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Allah definetly is everywhere .

you are interpreting holy Quran on your wrong understanding & Jewish books .

instead of Torah read holy Quran because you call yourself a muslim but you have no idea about holy Quran except a wrong jewish (Wahabi) interpretation from it  

I see you are dodging my challenge to prove the belief that Jesus Christ was raised to Heaven with his Earthly body

@Cherub786 this is from your own books 

That the Prophet (ﷺ) talked to them about the night of his Ascension to the Heavens. He said, "(Then Gabriel took me) and ascended up till he reached the second heaven where he asked for the gate to be opened, but it was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel replied, 'I am Gabriel.' It was asked, 'Who is accompanying you?' He replied, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has he been called?' He said, 'Yes.' When we reached over the second heaven, I saw Yahya (i.e. John) and Jesus who were cousins. Gabriel said, 'These are John (Yahya) and Jesus, so greet them.' I greeted them and they returned the greeting saying, 'Welcome, O Pious Brother and Pious Prophet!;' "

حَدَّثَنَا هُدْبَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا هَمَّامُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مَالِكِ بْنِ صَعْصَعَةَ، أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَدَّثَهُمْ عَنْ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ ‏ "‏ ثُمَّ صَعِدَ حَتَّى أَتَى السَّمَاءَ الثَّانِيَةَ فَاسْتَفْتَحَ، قِيلَ مَنْ هَذَا قَالَ جِبْرِيلُ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَمَنْ مَعَكَ قَالَ مُحَمَّدٌ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَقَدْ أُرْسِلَ إِلَيْهِ قَالَ نَعَمْ‏.‏ فَلَمَّا خَلَصْتُ، فَإِذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى وَهُمَا ابْنَا خَالَةٍ‏.‏ قَالَ هَذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى فَسَلِّمْ عَلَيْهِمَا‏.‏ فَسَلَّمْتُ فَرَدَّا ثُمَّ قَالاَ مَرْحَبًا بِالأَخِ الصَّالِحِ وَالنَّبِيِّ الصَّالِحِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3430
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 101
USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 640

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/109

وَلَقِيتُ عِيسَى ـ فَنَعَتَهُ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ ـ رَبْعَةٌ أَحْمَرُ كَأَنَّمَا خَرَجَ مِنْ دِيمَاسٍ ـ يَعْنِي الْحَمَّامَ ـ

The Prophet (ﷺ) further said, "I met Jesus." The Prophet (ﷺ) described him saying, "He was one of moderate height and was red-faced as if he had just come out of a bathroom. 

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/108

That the Prophet (ﷺ) talked to them about the night of his Ascension to the Heavens. He said, "(Then Gabriel took me) and ascended up till he reached the second heaven where he asked for the gate to be opened, but it was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel replied, 'I am Gabriel.' It was asked, 'Who is accompanying you?' He replied, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has he been called?' He said, 'Yes.' When we reached over the second heaven, I saw Yahya (i.e. John) and Jesus who were cousins. Gabriel said, 'These are John (Yahya) and Jesus, so greet them.' I greeted them and they returned the greeting saying, 'Welcome, O Pious Brother and Pious Prophet!;' "

حَدَّثَنَا هُدْبَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا هَمَّامُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مَالِكِ بْنِ صَعْصَعَةَ، أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَدَّثَهُمْ عَنْ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ ‏ "‏ ثُمَّ صَعِدَ حَتَّى أَتَى السَّمَاءَ الثَّانِيَةَ فَاسْتَفْتَحَ، قِيلَ مَنْ هَذَا قَالَ جِبْرِيلُ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَمَنْ مَعَكَ قَالَ مُحَمَّدٌ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَقَدْ أُرْسِلَ إِلَيْهِ قَالَ نَعَمْ‏.‏ فَلَمَّا خَلَصْتُ، فَإِذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى وَهُمَا ابْنَا خَالَةٍ‏.‏ قَالَ هَذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى فَسَلِّمْ عَلَيْهِمَا‏.‏ فَسَلَّمْتُ فَرَدَّا ثُمَّ قَالاَ مَرْحَبًا بِالأَخِ الصَّالِحِ وَالنَّبِيِّ الصَّالِحِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3430
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 101
USC-MSA web (English) reference

: Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 640

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/101

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said "How will you be when the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you and your imam is among you."

حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ بُكَيْرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا اللَّيْثُ، عَنْ يُونُسَ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، مَوْلَى أَبِي قَتَادَةَ الأَنْصَارِيِّ أَنَّ أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ كَيْفَ أَنْتُمْ إِذَا نَزَلَ ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ فِيكُمْ وَإِمَامُكُمْ مِنْكُمْ ‏"‏‏.‏ تَابَعَهُ عُقَيْلٌ وَالأَوْزَاعِيُّ‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3449
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 119
USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 658
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

https://sunnah.com/search?q=jesus

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

@Cherub786 this is from your own books 

How is it relevant to my question: Where does the Quran state that Jesus Christ was raised to Heaven in his Earthly, corporal body?

I've already explained elsewhere that the Mi'raj was a spiritual ascension and mystical vision of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم but that's a different topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

@Cherub786 Thank you for your very insightful comments about Jesus the Messiah in the Qur'an and Islam thought.  You have been quite bold in expressing your view which might be different from other Muslim people.

It is interesting that the issue that has raised discussion is about Jesus' death and beimg taken to heaven.  Of course the real death, physical resurrection and bodily assension to heaven of Jesus the Messiah is key to Christian salvation theology.

For me when I read about Jesus in the Qur'an the things that strike me are some of the titles he is given which seem to me to be unique not given to any other prophet or person.  I often wonder what they mean.

3:45  [And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah].

4:171  O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him.

Jesus is called Messiah, A word from God, God's word and a spirit from God.  He is also seen as a messenger/apostle and someone distinguished.

31 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

For me when I read about Jesus in the Qur'an the things that strike me are some of the titles he is given which seem to me to be unique not given to any other prophet or person.  I often wonder what they mean.

3:45  [And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah].

4:171  O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him.

Jesus is called Messiah, A word from God, God's word and a spirit from God.  He is also seen as a messenger/apostle and someone distinguished.

Indeed this is true, Jesus is singled out in several ways which makes him unique among the Apostles of God. But then again, other Prophets and figures mentioned in the Quran have been distinguished too with particular virtues and titles. Moses son of Amram, for example, is distinguished:

وَ رُسُلًا قَدۡ قَصَصۡنٰہُمۡ عَلَیۡکَ مِنۡ قَبۡلُ وَ رُسُلًا لَّمۡ نَقۡصُصۡہُمۡ عَلَیۡکَ ؕ وَ کَلَّمَ اللّٰہُ مُوۡسٰی تَکۡلِیۡمًا

And We sent some Messengers whom We have already mentioned to thee and some Messengers whom We have not mentioned to thee — and Allah spoke to Moses particularly

(Surah 4:164)

The idea in mainstream Islamic thought is that Moses was singled out as someone who spoke directly with God, without any intermediary like an Angel, etc., hearing His actual Voice, unlike any other Prophet. I believe the Hebrew Bible mentions something similar: “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face” (Deut. 34:10)

Likewise, our Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم has been distinguished in the Quran with such titles as ‘Mercy for the worlds’ and ‘Seal of the Prophets’, etc.

Nevertheless, the uniqueness of Jesus is definitely there in the Quran. This may have been the reason for a certain Muslim sect, no longer in existence but whose ideas may still be influential, known as the Khabitiyya (a Mu’tazilite group) named after their founding theologian Ahmad bin Khabit, who believed: “They assign to the Messiah one of the divine prerogatives, agreeing with the Christians in their belief that he is the one who will call mankind to a reckoning in the next life. He is the one meant by God’s words: ‘Your Lord comes with angels in their ranks.’ He is also the one who will come in shadowing clouds, and who is referred to by the words of God: ‘Until your Lord comes.’ Again, he is the one of whom the Prophet spoke when he said, ‘God created Adam in the image of the Most Merciful.’ Also when he said, ‘The Most Powerful will put his foot in the fire.’ Ahmad b. Khabit maintained that the Messiah put on a body of flesh.”

To me, one of the possible reasons why the Quran has distinguished Jesus with the specific titles ‘Word of God’ and ‘Spirit of God’ was because these titles are especially attributed to him by the Christians and he became well known by them. Otherwise, every true Prophet is theoretically the ‘Word of God’ and the ‘Spirit of God’. I believe the Quran has specifically mentioned these terms with respect to Jesus to also clarify what we mean by them in opposition to Trinitarian doctrine. So for example, the Quran explains that by ‘Word of God’ what is meant is that Jesus was created by a Word of God ‘Be, and it is!’ and not the incarnation of the Logos as taught in John 1:1. Likewise, Jesus being the ‘Spirit of God’ means he was possessed and inspired by the Holy Spirit, which God breathed into him, and that he was himself the possessor of a pure, created spirit that is attributed to God in the possessive sense - similar to the terms 'House of God' or 'Messenger of God' etc.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member
32 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Jesus is called Messiah

Hi, yes the Quran takes up the major trinitarian themes and labels associated to Jesus. It then recasts them in a monotheistic, unitarian perspective. In addition to the relevant information already presented, see this:

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Who is the Quranic messiah?

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Quranic massih same as Jewish messiah?

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Jesus rejected for his messianic claims?

38 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

A word from God

Acts17apologetics looks for logos; Jesus is the kalima of Allah?

40 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

a spirit from God

CIRA International find trinity in Quran; The eternal RUH/spirit of Allah?

45 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

He is also seen as a messenger/apostle

Yes Jesus was a human prophet, who identified himself as a prophet, and who was similarily recognized by the multitudes as a prophet Matt21:11,Mk6:3-5Lk13:32-4

57 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

someone distinguished.

You might be referring to Al-Wijahah in 3:45. It means esteem, prestige, eminence and acceptability. He was also a man of great compassion, and empathy as reflected through his healing miracles, kindness towards many and this quality was transmitted to his followers 57:27. Isa's eminence and acceptability in this world is not a secret; and the Quran confers this position to him in the hereafter too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Surah 19:20 (Born of a virgin)

Surah 3:46 (spoke from the cradle)

Surah 3:49 (created life)

Surah 3:49 (healed the blind, the lame, raised the dead)

Surah 19:19 "..a pure, (sinless) righteous son (Jesus)."

Muslims don't deny any of these things. All were done with Allah(s.w.a)'s  permission. 

• Veteran Member
8 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

Muslims don't deny any of these things. All were done with Allah(s.w.a)'s  permission. 

Same in New Testament:  John 5:19 and 8:26

lsa -(عليه السلام). does what he sees and says what he hears; nothing of or by himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Hi Tony,

Quote from your post: Hello, my friends! My name is Tony, and I am new to this site. I am a follower of the teachings of Isa, and I am not here to convince you my religion is better than yours. I am here for friendly, open, and honest dialogue. I do believe the media and social media has created many false representations of both Christians and Muslims. I have many Muslim and Christian friends, and their character is different than the portrayal in the media. I am a lifelong learner, hence my reason for joining this site. I want to continue to learn more about my Muslim friends, beliefs, and culture.

One of the important things I see in the Quran is that it usually compliments Christianity. And Surah 5 shows the importance of the former Scriptures. 

It gives this in Surah 5:44 It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was ‘guidance and light.’ By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed to God’s will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of God’s book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear Me, and sell not My signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers.

46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was ‘guidance and light,’ and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear God.

47. Let the people of the Gospel judge by what God hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

--- I marked the statement ‘guidance and light’ for the Jews under Moses’ Law, and again under the new covenant with Jesus. It says in Jeremiah 31:33  But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LordI will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

This writing of the law on their minds and hearts deals with the ‘guidance and light’ that God gives believing Christians, that guides them by their right heart attitudes, rather than by written laws.

These are indicated in Mathew 5:1-16, called the Beatitudes. Some have called them the ‘Be-Attitudes.’  

Blessings

• Veteran Member

Hi, --- I would like to make a correction on my Religion on the post above.

While I have studied Shia Islam to make comparisons to Christianity, my status should read:

RELIGION:  Christian