Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Jesus in the Qur'an

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Tony M said:

Hello, my friends! My name is Tony, and I am new to this site. I am a follower of the teachings of Isa, and I am not here to convince you my religion is better than yours. I am here for friendly, open, and honest dialogue. I do believe the media and social media has created many false representations of both Christians and Muslims. I have many Muslim and Christian friends, and their character is different than the portrayal in the media. I am a lifelong learner, hence my reason for joining this site. I want to continue to learn more about my Muslim friends, beliefs, and culture.

I believe the most significant divide between followers of Isa al Masih and Muslims, is the person of Jesus. According to Wikipedia (Jesus in Islam), “He is one of the most mentioned people in the Qur'an by reference; 25 times by the name Isa, third-person 48 times, first-person 35 times, and the rest as titles and attributes.”

So back to the title of the post. I only know a few of the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and I am looking at that from a biblical perspective. So, to learn, what are the ways the Qur'an mentions Jesus, and what does it mean to you? 

Blessings to you!

Welcome Tony M. I'm am also somewhat new to this site. I am a Sunni Muslim, but this forum, as evident by its title, is a Shi'ah forum, and you will largely get a Shi'ah perspective here. You should know that not all Muslims agree regarding Jesus of Nazareth عليه السلام.

According to my interpretation of the Quran, admittedly a minority view, Jesus is deceased, though majority of Muslims believe he is alive, and that he physically ascended, with his corporal body into Heaven.

The Quran states several facts about Jesus, that he was born of the virgin Mary (virgin birth), that he was the Messiah, that he displayed many heavenly Signs like curing the blind, leprosy and raising the dead back to life. I interpret raising dead back to life to mean those who were in the throes of death, and not literally coming out of graves, but again, that is a minority view among Muslims.

The Quran affirms he was the Messiah and a Messenger of God sent to Israel.

The Quran states that "they did not crucify him, but it was made to appear to them (that they crucified him)". There is considerable difference of opinion on the interpretation of this. The mainstream position is that Jesus wasn't put on the cross at all, but God saved him and someone else was crucified in his place whom the Jews or Romans mistakenly thought was Jesus. I consider this interpretation absurd and reject it.

Another view is that Jesus was put on the cross, but he survived the crucifixion without dying. This is known as the swoon theory, and is accepted by a good number of more educated Muslims.

A third view, which I am inclined to accept, is that Jesus was put on the cross, and he died on the cross, but the Quran denies the act of killing him to "them" (Jews). This interpretation is closest to the Biblical account that Jesus "gave up the ghost" while he was on the cross, so it was ultimately God Who caused him to die without the Jews or Romans, and the act of crucifying him, being the means of his death. This was a view that is a minority view among Muslims, but was apparently expressed by some early Muslim exegetes and scholars.

Contrary to Christianity, the Quran denies the divinity of Jesus, and affirms his humanity and mortality.

In my next posts I will discuss more about the Quranic perspective of Jesus, specifically regarding the nature of his ministry and his message. I also hope to discuss the Quranic perspective on John the Baptist, or Yahya Yuhanna as we call him

The methodology of Islam is that we generally accept the Biblical narrative, until and unless it clearly contradicts the Quran. This is certainly my position.

By Biblical narrative, however, I mean the Old Testament, and the four Canonical Gospels. The consensus among Muslims is that we do not recognize Paul as an authorized Apostle of Jesus. Our narrative is that he more or less distorted the Gospel, and presented a false Gospel, centered on the idea of Jesus being a sacrificial lamb who died for the sins of humanity (the doctrine of redemption), and that the Mosaic Law was abrogated, and that the Gospel was meant to be evangelized to all humanity, Jew and Gentile alike. These three aspects of Paul's teaching are contrary to the Quranic/Islamic narrative, which is why we do not regard his epistles.

Coming back to Jesus Christ, the Quran does not give a detailed account of his biography. Some of the more problematic narratives in the Canonical Gospels, like the Census of Quirinius and other things from the Nativity account, are notably omitted from the Quran.

The Quran also devotes considerable content to refuting the concept of the divinity of Christ, and the doctrine of the Trinity.

With respect to Jesus, the Quran particularly mentions him in conjunction with the Holy Spirit. The term "Holy Spirit" is repeated four times in the Quran, and three of those instances it says that God strengthened Jesus with the Holy Spirit. In only one instance does the term Holy Spirit appear without specific mention of Jesus, there it is stated that God sends down the Holy Spirit to strengthen and give resolve to the Believers in general (Surah 16:102)

Most Muslims believe the Holy Spirit is synonymous with Angel Gabriel, but I am skeptical of this view, as that is never explicitly stated in the Quran or even by the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم

At the same time, we certainly do not believe the Holy Spirit is a Person of the triune Godhead.

So the Quran has devoted significant content to the subject of Christology, but I hope to also discuss the Quranic perspective on the nature of Jesus's ministry and message.

The basic idea of Islam regarding Jesus was that he was an apocalyptic prophet, in the same prophetic tradition as his cousin and contemporary John the Baptist (Yahya Yuhanna).

Interestingly, the Quran does not explicitly mention the martyrdom of John the Baptist, although his martyrdom is a historical fact, as it is corroborated by Josephus. But the Quran does have general statements that Prophets were murdered by the Jews.

Another interesting omission, the Quran never explicitly speaks of baptism, which was a key feature of John the Baptist's ministry, again corroborated by Josephus in his brief account of him in Antiquities of the Jews.

The Quran does speak of the disciples of Jesus, termed Hawariyyin. No specific names are ever mentioned, nor is their number ever fixed. The infamous Judas Iscariot and how he betrayed Jesus Christ is also omitted from the Quran.

A critical passage of the Quran where the teachings of Jesus are spelled out:

And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me. (Surah 3:50)

This summarizes the ministry of Jesus as essentially a revivalist effort to bring Israel back to the Torah.

Interestingly, among the various Signs and Miracles of Jesus mentioned in the Quran, his ministry of exorcism - exorcising possessed people of demons - is not explicitly mentioned in the Quran. This is interesting because exorcism is frequently mentioned in connection with Jesus in the Canonical Gospels. Muslims are divided over the reality of demonic possession, some are of the opinion there is no such thing, but I believe there is, partially because it is so strongly affirmed in connection with Jesus in the Canonical Gospels that there must be historical truth to it. There are also accounts of our Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم performing exorcism on demon-possessed individuals.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member

hi
https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-9/section-2-mary-and-jesus

3. It is reported that Abu ‘Abd Allah (‘a) said, “… as for the occultation of Jesus, the Jews and the Christians are agreed that he was killed, so Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, belied them by His saying, 

They did not kill nor crucify him, but it appeared to them so (4:157). 

Likewise, the occultation of al-Qa’im (‘a), then the community will deny it.”3

15. It is reported that Abu al-Hasan Al-Ridha’ (‘a) said: “…And all of the [eleven] Imams after the prophet were killed, some by the sword, the Commander of the Faithful and Husayn, peace be with them, and the rest by poison. The tyrants of their times killed every one of them, and indeed this was done to them, truly, not like anything the extremists (ghulah) or the delegators (mufawidah), may Allah curse them. They say, ‘They (the Imams) were not really killed, and it was only a likeness of their affair that appeared to them.’ 

So, they lied, may the wrath of Allah be upon them. Indeed, the affair of none of the prophets of Allah and His authorities, peace be with them, appeared doubtful to the people, except the affair of Jesus the son of Mary (‘a) alone, for he was raised from the earth alive and his soul was taken between heaven and earth, then he was raised to heaven and his soul was returned to him, and that is what the saying of Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, is about: 

When Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take you to Me, and I will raise you to Me (3:55),

https://www.al-islam.org/jesus-through-shiite-narrations-mahdi-muntazir-qaim

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
11 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

3. It is reported that Abu ‘Abd Allah (‘a) said, “… as for the occultation of Jesus, the Jews and the Christians are agreed that he was killed, so Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, belied them by His saying, 

They did not kill nor crucify him, but it appeared to them so (4:157). 

That isn't a falsification of the claim "Jesus was killed". There's a crucial distinction between saying "Jesus wasn't killed" and "they (xyz) didn't kill Jesus". One is categorical denial that Jesus was killed, while the second statement does not necessarily deny Jesus was killed, only that xyz group killed him.

then he was raised to heaven and his soul was returned to him

Where does the Quran say Jesus was raised to Heaven with his body?

I will raise you to Me (3:55),

Heaven is not mentioned. Allah says He will raise Jesus up to Himself. Unless you believe Allah is in Heaven?

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Allah is in Heaven?

Allah definetly is everywhere .

That isn't a falsification of the claim "Jesus was killed". There's a crucial distinction between saying "Jesus wasn't killed" and "they (xyz) didn't kill Jesus". One is categorical denial that Jesus was killed, while the second statement does not necessarily deny Jesus was killed, only that xyz group killed him.

you are interpreting holy Quran on your wrong understanding & Jewish books .

Where does the Quran say Jesus was raised to Heaven with his body?

instead of Torah read holy Quran because you call yourself a muslim but you have no idea about holy Quran except a wrong jewish (Wahabi) interpretation from it  

43 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Allah definetly is everywhere .

you are interpreting holy Quran on your wrong understanding & Jewish books .

instead of Torah read holy Quran because you call yourself a muslim but you have no idea about holy Quran except a wrong jewish (Wahabi) interpretation from it  

I see you are dodging my challenge to prove the belief that Jesus Christ was raised to Heaven with his Earthly body

• Advanced Member

@Cherub786 this is from your own books 

That the Prophet (ﷺ) talked to them about the night of his Ascension to the Heavens. He said, "(Then Gabriel took me) and ascended up till he reached the second heaven where he asked for the gate to be opened, but it was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel replied, 'I am Gabriel.' It was asked, 'Who is accompanying you?' He replied, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has he been called?' He said, 'Yes.' When we reached over the second heaven, I saw Yahya (i.e. John) and Jesus who were cousins. Gabriel said, 'These are John (Yahya) and Jesus, so greet them.' I greeted them and they returned the greeting saying, 'Welcome, O Pious Brother and Pious Prophet!;' "

حَدَّثَنَا هُدْبَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا هَمَّامُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مَالِكِ بْنِ صَعْصَعَةَ، أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَدَّثَهُمْ عَنْ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ ‏ "‏ ثُمَّ صَعِدَ حَتَّى أَتَى السَّمَاءَ الثَّانِيَةَ فَاسْتَفْتَحَ، قِيلَ مَنْ هَذَا قَالَ جِبْرِيلُ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَمَنْ مَعَكَ قَالَ مُحَمَّدٌ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَقَدْ أُرْسِلَ إِلَيْهِ قَالَ نَعَمْ‏.‏ فَلَمَّا خَلَصْتُ، فَإِذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى وَهُمَا ابْنَا خَالَةٍ‏.‏ قَالَ هَذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى فَسَلِّمْ عَلَيْهِمَا‏.‏ فَسَلَّمْتُ فَرَدَّا ثُمَّ قَالاَ مَرْحَبًا بِالأَخِ الصَّالِحِ وَالنَّبِيِّ الصَّالِحِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3430
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 101
USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 640

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/109

وَلَقِيتُ عِيسَى ـ فَنَعَتَهُ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ ـ رَبْعَةٌ أَحْمَرُ كَأَنَّمَا خَرَجَ مِنْ دِيمَاسٍ ـ يَعْنِي الْحَمَّامَ ـ

The Prophet (ﷺ) further said, "I met Jesus." The Prophet (ﷺ) described him saying, "He was one of moderate height and was red-faced as if he had just come out of a bathroom. 

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/108

That the Prophet (ﷺ) talked to them about the night of his Ascension to the Heavens. He said, "(Then Gabriel took me) and ascended up till he reached the second heaven where he asked for the gate to be opened, but it was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel replied, 'I am Gabriel.' It was asked, 'Who is accompanying you?' He replied, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has he been called?' He said, 'Yes.' When we reached over the second heaven, I saw Yahya (i.e. John) and Jesus who were cousins. Gabriel said, 'These are John (Yahya) and Jesus, so greet them.' I greeted them and they returned the greeting saying, 'Welcome, O Pious Brother and Pious Prophet!;' "

حَدَّثَنَا هُدْبَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا هَمَّامُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مَالِكِ بْنِ صَعْصَعَةَ، أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَدَّثَهُمْ عَنْ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ ‏ "‏ ثُمَّ صَعِدَ حَتَّى أَتَى السَّمَاءَ الثَّانِيَةَ فَاسْتَفْتَحَ، قِيلَ مَنْ هَذَا قَالَ جِبْرِيلُ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَمَنْ مَعَكَ قَالَ مُحَمَّدٌ‏.‏ قِيلَ وَقَدْ أُرْسِلَ إِلَيْهِ قَالَ نَعَمْ‏.‏ فَلَمَّا خَلَصْتُ، فَإِذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى وَهُمَا ابْنَا خَالَةٍ‏.‏ قَالَ هَذَا يَحْيَى وَعِيسَى فَسَلِّمْ عَلَيْهِمَا‏.‏ فَسَلَّمْتُ فَرَدَّا ثُمَّ قَالاَ مَرْحَبًا بِالأَخِ الصَّالِحِ وَالنَّبِيِّ الصَّالِحِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3430
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 101
USC-MSA web (English) reference

: Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 640

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/101

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said "How will you be when the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you and your imam is among you."

حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ بُكَيْرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا اللَّيْثُ، عَنْ يُونُسَ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، مَوْلَى أَبِي قَتَادَةَ الأَنْصَارِيِّ أَنَّ أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ كَيْفَ أَنْتُمْ إِذَا نَزَلَ ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ فِيكُمْ وَإِمَامُكُمْ مِنْكُمْ ‏"‏‏.‏ تَابَعَهُ عُقَيْلٌ وَالأَوْزَاعِيُّ‏.‏
Reference  : Sahih al-Bukhari 3449
In-book reference  : Book 60, Hadith 119
USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 658
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

https://sunnah.com/search?q=jesus

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

@Cherub786 this is from your own books 

How is it relevant to my question: Where does the Quran state that Jesus Christ was raised to Heaven in his Earthly, corporal body?

I've already explained elsewhere that the Mi'raj was a spiritual ascension and mystical vision of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم but that's a different topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

@Cherub786 Thank you for your very insightful comments about Jesus the Messiah in the Qur'an and Islam thought.  You have been quite bold in expressing your view which might be different from other Muslim people.

It is interesting that the issue that has raised discussion is about Jesus' death and beimg taken to heaven.  Of course the real death, physical resurrection and bodily assension to heaven of Jesus the Messiah is key to Christian salvation theology.

For me when I read about Jesus in the Qur'an the things that strike me are some of the titles he is given which seem to me to be unique not given to any other prophet or person.  I often wonder what they mean.

3:45  [And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah].

4:171  O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him.

Jesus is called Messiah, A word from God, God's word and a spirit from God.  He is also seen as a messenger/apostle and someone distinguished.

31 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

For me when I read about Jesus in the Qur'an the things that strike me are some of the titles he is given which seem to me to be unique not given to any other prophet or person.  I often wonder what they mean.

3:45  [And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah].

4:171  O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him.

Jesus is called Messiah, A word from God, God's word and a spirit from God.  He is also seen as a messenger/apostle and someone distinguished.

Indeed this is true, Jesus is singled out in several ways which makes him unique among the Apostles of God. But then again, other Prophets and figures mentioned in the Quran have been distinguished too with particular virtues and titles. Moses son of Amram, for example, is distinguished:

وَ رُسُلًا قَدۡ قَصَصۡنٰہُمۡ عَلَیۡکَ مِنۡ قَبۡلُ وَ رُسُلًا لَّمۡ نَقۡصُصۡہُمۡ عَلَیۡکَ ؕ وَ کَلَّمَ اللّٰہُ مُوۡسٰی تَکۡلِیۡمًا

And We sent some Messengers whom We have already mentioned to thee and some Messengers whom We have not mentioned to thee — and Allah spoke to Moses particularly

(Surah 4:164)

The idea in mainstream Islamic thought is that Moses was singled out as someone who spoke directly with God, without any intermediary like an Angel, etc., hearing His actual Voice, unlike any other Prophet. I believe the Hebrew Bible mentions something similar: “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face” (Deut. 34:10)

Likewise, our Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم has been distinguished in the Quran with such titles as ‘Mercy for the worlds’ and ‘Seal of the Prophets’, etc.

Nevertheless, the uniqueness of Jesus is definitely there in the Quran. This may have been the reason for a certain Muslim sect, no longer in existence but whose ideas may still be influential, known as the Khabitiyya (a Mu’tazilite group) named after their founding theologian Ahmad bin Khabit, who believed: “They assign to the Messiah one of the divine prerogatives, agreeing with the Christians in their belief that he is the one who will call mankind to a reckoning in the next life. He is the one meant by God’s words: ‘Your Lord comes with angels in their ranks.’ He is also the one who will come in shadowing clouds, and who is referred to by the words of God: ‘Until your Lord comes.’ Again, he is the one of whom the Prophet spoke when he said, ‘God created Adam in the image of the Most Merciful.’ Also when he said, ‘The Most Powerful will put his foot in the fire.’ Ahmad b. Khabit maintained that the Messiah put on a body of flesh.”

To me, one of the possible reasons why the Quran has distinguished Jesus with the specific titles ‘Word of God’ and ‘Spirit of God’ was because these titles are especially attributed to him by the Christians and he became well known by them. Otherwise, every true Prophet is theoretically the ‘Word of God’ and the ‘Spirit of God’. I believe the Quran has specifically mentioned these terms with respect to Jesus to also clarify what we mean by them in opposition to Trinitarian doctrine. So for example, the Quran explains that by ‘Word of God’ what is meant is that Jesus was created by a Word of God ‘Be, and it is!’ and not the incarnation of the Logos as taught in John 1:1. Likewise, Jesus being the ‘Spirit of God’ means he was possessed and inspired by the Holy Spirit, which God breathed into him, and that he was himself the possessor of a pure, created spirit that is attributed to God in the possessive sense - similar to the terms 'House of God' or 'Messenger of God' etc.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member
32 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Jesus is called Messiah

Hi, yes the Quran takes up the major trinitarian themes and labels associated to Jesus. It then recasts them in a monotheistic, unitarian perspective. In addition to the relevant information already presented, see this:

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Who is the Quranic messiah?

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Quranic massih same as Jewish messiah?

CIRA International trinity dilemma; Jesus rejected for his messianic claims?

38 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

A word from God

Acts17apologetics looks for logos; Jesus is the kalima of Allah?

40 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

a spirit from God

CIRA International find trinity in Quran; The eternal RUH/spirit of Allah?

45 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

He is also seen as a messenger/apostle

Yes Jesus was a human prophet, who identified himself as a prophet, and who was similarily recognized by the multitudes as a prophet Matt21:11,Mk6:3-5Lk13:32-4

57 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

someone distinguished.

You might be referring to Al-Wijahah in 3:45. It means esteem, prestige, eminence and acceptability. He was also a man of great compassion, and empathy as reflected through his healing miracles, kindness towards many and this quality was transmitted to his followers 57:27. Isa's eminence and acceptability in this world is not a secret; and the Quran confers this position to him in the hereafter too.

Guest Jeramiah
On 9/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Cherub786 said:

How is it relevant to my question: Where does the Quran state that Jesus Christ was raised to Heaven in his Earthly, corporal body?

I've already explained elsewhere that the Mi'raj was a spiritual ascension and mystical vision of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم but that's a different topic

What would you say about gospel of barnabus? It agrees with Quran that Jesus was raised up with body and soul and someone else replaced him on the cross.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Surah 19:20 (Born of a virgin)

Surah 3:46 (spoke from the cradle)

Surah 3:49 (created life)

Surah 3:49 (healed the blind, the lame, raised the dead)

Surah 19:19 "..a pure, (sinless) righteous son (Jesus)."

Muslims don't deny any of these things. All were done with Allah(s.w.a)'s  permission. 

• Veteran Member
8 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

Muslims don't deny any of these things. All were done with Allah(s.w.a)'s  permission. 

Same in New Testament:  John 5:19 and 8:26

lsa -(عليه السلام). does what he sees and says what he hears; nothing of or by himself.

• Basic Members

You quote John in 5:19 and 8:26.  Have you considered John 10:33 "We are not stoning you for any good work,"they replied, "but for blashemy, because you, a mere man claim to be God." verse 36:.. "I am God's Son."

Then there is John 8:57 "Before Abraham was I AM."

• Veteran Member

Hi Tony,

Quote from your post: Hello, my friends! My name is Tony, and I am new to this site. I am a follower of the teachings of Isa, and I am not here to convince you my religion is better than yours. I am here for friendly, open, and honest dialogue. I do believe the media and social media has created many false representations of both Christians and Muslims. I have many Muslim and Christian friends, and their character is different than the portrayal in the media. I am a lifelong learner, hence my reason for joining this site. I want to continue to learn more about my Muslim friends, beliefs, and culture.

One of the important things I see in the Quran is that it usually compliments Christianity. And Surah 5 shows the importance of the former Scriptures. 

It gives this in Surah 5:44 It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was ‘guidance and light.’ By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed to God’s will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of God’s book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear Me, and sell not My signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers.

46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was ‘guidance and light,’ and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear God.

47. Let the people of the Gospel judge by what God hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

--- I marked the statement ‘guidance and light’ for the Jews under Moses’ Law, and again under the new covenant with Jesus. It says in Jeremiah 31:33  But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LordI will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

This writing of the law on their minds and hearts deals with the ‘guidance and light’ that God gives believing Christians, that guides them by their right heart attitudes, rather than by written laws.

These are indicated in Mathew 5:1-16, called the Beatitudes. Some have called them the ‘Be-Attitudes.’  

Blessings

• 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member

Hi Tony M,

I wonder if you are still around and searching the some 25 places where Jesus is mentioned in the Quran.

In addition to the above, there is a good description of God and His provision from the creation through the Prophethood with Noah, Abraham and Moses, preceding Jesus and Muhammad, in these verses in this beautiful Surah 57:

1 Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, - let it declare the Praises and Glory of God: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

2 To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: It is He Who gives Life and Death; and He has Power over all things.

3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Immanent: and He has full knowledge of all things.

4 He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and is moreover firmly established on the Throne (of Authority). He knows what enters within the earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And God sees well all that ye do.

5 To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: and all affairs are referred back to God.

6 He merges Night into Day, and He merges Day into Night; and He has full knowledge of the secrets of (all) hearts.

7 Believe in God and His apostle (Muhammad), and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity),- for them is a great Reward.

8 What cause have ye why ye should not believe in God?- and the Apostle invites you to believe in your Lord, and has indeed taken your Covenant, if ye are men of Faith.

9 He is the One Who sends to His Servant Manifest Signs, that He may lead you from the depths of Darkness into the Light and verily God is to you most kind and Merciful.

10 And what cause have ye why ye should not spend in the cause of God?- For to God belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are those who spent (freely) and fought, before the Victory, (with those who did so later). Those are higher in rank than those who spent (freely) and fought afterwards. But to all has God promised a goodly (reward). And God is well acquainted with all that ye do.

11 Who is he that will Loan to God a beautiful loan? for (God) will increase it manifold to his credit, and he will have (besides) a liberal Reward.

12 One Day shalt thou see the believing men and the believing women- how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands: (their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! to dwell therein for aye! This is indeed the highest Achievement!"

13 One Day will the Hypocrites- men and women - say to the Believers: "Wait for us! Let us borrow (a Light) from your Light!" It will be said: "Turn ye back to your rear! then seek a Light (where ye can)!" So a wall will be put up betwixt them, with a gate therein. Within it will be Mercy throughout, and without it, all alongside, will be (Wrath and) Punishment!

14 (Those without) will call out, "Were we not with you?" (The others) will reply, "True! but ye led yourselves into temptation; ye looked forward (to our ruin); ye doubted (God's Promise); and (your false) desires deceived you; until there issued the Command of God. And the Deceiver deceived you in respect of God.

15 "This Day shall no ransom be accepted of you, nor of those who rejected God." Your abode is the Fire: that is the proper place to claim you: and an evil refuge it is!"

16 Has not the Time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of God and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them), and that they should not become like those to whom was given Revelation aforetime, but long ages passed over them and their hearts grew hard? For many among them are rebellious transgressors.

17 Know ye (all) that God giveth life to the earth after its death! already have We shown the Signs plainly to you, that ye may learn wisdom.

18 For those who give in Charity, men and women, and loan to God a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit), and they shall have (besides) a liberal reward.

19 And those who believe in God and His apostles- they are the Sincere (lovers of Truth), and the witnesses (who testify), in the eyes of their Lord: They shall have their Reward and their Light. But those who reject God and deny Our Signs,- they are the Companions of Hell-Fire.

20 Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from God and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of God). And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception?

21  Be ye foremost (in seeking) Forgiveness from your Lord, and a Garden (of Bliss), the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in God and His apostles: that is the Grace of God, which He bestows on whom he pleases: and God is the Lord of Grace abounding.

22 No misfortune can happen on earth or in your souls but is recorded in a decree before We bring it into existence: That is truly easy for God:

23 In order that ye may not despair over matters that pass you by, nor exult over favours bestowed upon you. For God loveth not any vainglorious boaster,-

24 Such persons as are covetous and commend covetousness to men. And if any turn back (from God's Way), verily God is Free of all Needs, Worthy of all Praise.

25 We sent aforetime our apostles with Clear Signs and sent down with them the Book and the Balance (of Right and Wrong), that men may stand forth in justice; and We sent down Iron, in which is (material for) mighty war, as well as many benefits for mankind, that God may test who it is that will help, Unseen, Him and His apostles: For God is Full of Strength, Exalted in Might (and able to enforce His Will).

26 And We sent Noah and Abraham, and established in their line Prophethood and Revelation: and some of them were on right guidance. But many of them became rebellious transgressors.

27 Then, in their wake, We followed them up with (others of) Our apostles: We sent after them Jesus the son of Mary, and bestowed on him the Gospel; and We ordained in the hearts of those who followed him Compassion and Mercy. But the Monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them: (We commanded) only the seeking for the Good Pleasure of God; but that they did not foster as they should have done. Yet We bestowed, on those among them who believed, their (due) reward, but many of them are rebellious transgressors.

28 O ye that believe! Fear God, and believe in His Apostle (Muhammad), and He (God) will bestow on you a double portion of His Mercy: He will provide for you a Light by which ye shall walk (straight in your path), and He will forgive you (your past): for God is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

29 That the People of the Book may know that they have no power whatever over the Grace of God, that (His) Grace is (entirely) in His Hand, to bestow it on whomsoever He wills. For God is the Lord of Grace abounding.

• Veteran Member

Surah 57 outlines the whole Ministry of Muhammad and we see the beginning in these first verses:

1 Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, - let it declare the Praises and Glory of God: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

2 To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: It is He Who gives Life and Death; and He has Power over all things.

3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Immanent: and He has full knowledge of all things.

--- First it expresses the greatness and glory of God who is ALL IN ALL.

4 He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and is moreover firmly established on the Throne (of Authority). He knows what enters within the earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And God sees well all that ye do.

5 To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: and all affairs are referred back to God.

6 He merges Night into Day, and He merges Day into Night; and He has full knowledge of the secrets of (all) hearts.

--- God is the Creator and Sustainer of all elements and His angels are ever present to hear our prayers.

7 Believe in God and His apostle (Muhammad), and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity), - for them is a great Reward.

--- In giving to God, we only return part of what He has given to us, and His rewards are generous. --- If we are selfish or stingy, we are the losers because God has all of the riches and will give to us according to our attitude toward Him, and the work of benevolence that He would have us support.

8 What cause have ye why ye should not believe in God? - and the Apostle invites you to believe in your Lord, and has indeed taken your Covenant, if ye are men of Faith.

9 He is the One Who sends to His Servant Manifest Signs, that He may lead you from the depths of Darkness into the 'Light' and verily God is to you most kind and Merciful.

--- God sends many signs through His servants that will lead us out of the darkness  into the 'Light of God’s Guidance,' to become ‘men of faith.’ --- Not only to know His mercy and kindness, but to show it to others.

Surah 5:46 “We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was ‘guidance and light,’ and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear God."

• Veteran Member

To continue in Surah 57:

10 And what cause have ye why ye should not spend in the cause of God?- For to God belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are those who spent (freely) and fought, before the Victory, (with those who did so later). Those are higher in rank than those who spent (freely) and fought afterwards. But to all has God promised a goodly (reward). And God is well acquainted with all that ye do.

--- When one gives to God’s work with the right attitude, God rewards in unexpected blessings. --- And a comparison is made in Surah 9 to those who serve on a job to show benevolence, and those who sacrifice, as it says in 9:

19 Do ye make the giving of drink to pilgrims, or the maintenance of the Sacred Mosque, equal to (the pious service of) those who believe in God and the Last Day, and strive with might and main in the cause of God? They are not comparable in the sight of God: and God guides not those who do wrong.

20 Those who believe, and suffer exile and strive with might and main, in God's cause, with their goods and their persons, have the highest rank in the sight of God: they are the people who will achieve (salvation).

21 Their Lord doth give them glad tidings of a Mercy from Himself, of His good pleasure, and of gardens for them, wherein are delights that endure:

22They will dwell therein for ever. Verily in God's presence is a reward, the greatest (of all).

--- You would think this would be the highest priority for everyone, as it is for some. There are some believers who are wealthy and share the wealth that God has allowed them to accumulate.

--- The wealthy of the world today could feed the hungry, but if their priorities are to accumulate goods, and spend billions on things like space travel, which doesn’t help their fellow man, --- then in that sense, it is a waste of their life as well as their wealth. --- Hopefully there  are many who are spending their fortunes to help others during this world wide pandemic.

11 Who is he that will Loan to God a beautiful loan? For (God) will increase it manifold to his credit, and he will have (besides) a liberal Reward.

--- This is an interesting thought that some would have an abundance so they could Loan it to God as a business venture. --- But it would seem to mean lending of whatever is not needed for oneself, thus being a willing giver, who will receive it back with a liberal reward.

• Basic Members

they study all religions and I try to open their hidden messages and in my opinion the keys are somewhere and it is possible to make out the outer (what we see) and the inner what we do not see the message and there the truth about everything is hidden

all the prophets said that the books were sealed or that one man was sealed in a scroll

it is in all religions

there is none far from the truth, for in the crucifixion one will say, I will lay down my life for you

and go again, friends, and do their service

so maybe all the riots didn't give us the keys of the prophets

• Veteran Member

To continue in Surah 57 with reference to the Gospel of Matthew:

57:12 One Day shalt thou see the believing men and the believing women- how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands: (their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! to dwell therein for aye! This is indeed the highest Achievement!"

--- The Light with a capital L refers to the light of Life. The New Life of the Holy Spirit, which leads on to eternal life.

It says in Surah 5:46 “We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel (Good News): therein was ‘guidance and light,’ and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear God.”

--- And it says in Matthew 5:16 “Let your ‘light’ so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”

57:13 One Day will the Hypocrites- men and women - say to the Believers: "Wait for us! Let us borrow (a Light) from your Light!" It will be said: "Turn ye back to your rear! then seek a Light (where ye can)!" So a wall will be put up betwixt them, with a gate therein. Within it will be Mercy throughout, and without it, all alongside, will be (Wrath and) Punishment!

--- This refers to Matthew 25:1 “Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

• Veteran Member

To continue in Surah 57: From the story in Matthew:

The wise ones, whose Light was burning bright went into the marriage supper, but the foolish ones whose lights went out were left outside, and it said:

57:13 " So a wall will be put up betwixt them, with a gate therein. Within it will be Mercy throughout, and without it, all alongside, will be (Wrath and) Punishment!

14 (Those without) will call out, "Were we not with you?" (The others) will reply, "True! but ye led yourselves into temptation; ye looked forward (to our ruin); ye doubted (God's Promise); and (your false) desires deceived you; until there issued the Command of God. And the Deceiver deceived you in respect of God.

15 "This Day shall no ransom be accepted of you, nor of those who rejected God." Your abode is the Fire: that is the proper place to claim you: and an evil refuge it is!"

--- Those who have a chance of salvation and turn back from the Straight Path, open themselves to the temptations of the devil and are deceived into thinking they are okay, when they are not.

--- The teaching of having ‘oil in your lamp’ refers to the Holy Spirit who comes in to guide us so that we do not follow the temptations that lead us astray. --- And the next warning speaks loudly, as the time for all people (whenever this is read) to examine their relationship with God, and to follow His ‘light and guidance.’

16 Has not the Time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of God and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them),

and that they should not become like those to whom was given Revelation aforetime, but long ages passed over them and their hearts grew hard? For many among them are rebellious transgressors.

17 Know ye (all) that God giveth life to the earth after its death! already have We shown the Signs plainly to you, that ye may learn wisdom.

--- And God will give ‘renewed life’ to those who rededicate themselves to Him.

• Veteran Member

Again comparisons are made in Surah 57:

18 For those who give in Charity, men and women, and loan to God a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit), and they shall have (besides) a liberal reward.

19 And those who believe in God and His apostles - they are the Sincere (lovers of Truth), and the witnesses (who testify), in the eyes of their Lord: They shall have their Reward and their Light.

But those who reject God and deny Our Signs, - they are the Companions of Hell-Fire.

20 Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away.

But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from God and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of God).

--- And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception?

Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 2:4  I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards. 5 I made myself gardens and orchards, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made myself water pools from which to water the growing trees of the grove. 7 I acquired male and female servants, and had servants born in my house. Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me. 8 I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces. I acquired male and female singers, the delights of the sons of men, and musical instruments of all kinds.

9 So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me.

10 Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart rejoiced in all my labor; and this was my reward from all my labor.
11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind.

There was no profit under the sun.

• Advanced Member
On 8/31/2020 at 3:58 AM, Cherub786 said:

According to my interpretation of the Quran, admittedly a minority view, Jesus is deceased, 

This is the majority Zaidi view as well.

What madhab of Sunni are you ?

Edited by Warilla
  • Veteran Member

To continue in Surah 57:

57:21 Be ye foremost (in seeking) Forgiveness from your Lord, and a Garden (of Bliss), the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in God and His apostles: that is the Grace of God, which He bestows on whom he pleases: and God is the Lord of Grace abounding.

--- Prepared for those who believe in God and His Apostles. --- This refers to the Apostles of Jesus that spread the Gospel to the world, and who are honored in the Quran, as it says in Surah 61:14 O ye who believe! Be ye helpers of God: As said Jesus the son of Mary to the Disciples, "Who will be my helpers to (the work of) God?" Said the disciples, "We are God's helpers!" then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved: But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed.

And the call of an ‘Apostle’ came to Muhammad to continue the same ministry of Faith, Love, Grace and Forgiveness, --- as a Messenger to his own people, as Jesus was to the Jews.

--- And the same reward and rejection is written in the Surah 47, called Muhammad:

47:1Those who reject God and hinder (men) from the Path of God, - their deeds will God render astray (from their mark).

2 But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad - for it is the Truth from their Lord, - He will remove from them their ills and improve their condition.

3 This because those who reject God follow vanities, while those who believe follow the Truth from their Lord: Thus does God set forth for men their lessons by similitudes.

57:22 No misfortune can happen on earth or in your souls but is recorded in a decree before We bring it into existence: That is truly easy for God:

23 In order that ye may not despair over matters that pass you by, nor exult over favors bestowed upon you. For God loveth not any vainglorious boaster,-

24 Such persons as are covetous and commend covetousness to men. And if any turn back (from God's Way), verily God is Free of all Needs, Worthy of all Praise.

--- God knows the way of us all and guides those who believe, --- but those who are self seeking and boasters and who turn back from God’s way, they are on their own. --- In the new life of Faith, God is no longer obligated to the disbelievers. --- (And again from Surah 47.)

47:7 O ye who believe! If ye will aid (the cause of) God, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly.

8 But those who reject (God), - for them is destruction, and (God) will render their deeds astray (from their mark).

9 That is because they hate the Revelation of God; so He has made their deeds fruitless.

10 Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them (who did evil)? God brought utter destruction on them, and similar (fates await) those who reject God.

11 That is because God is the Protector of those who believe, but those who reject God have no protector.

12 Verily God will admit those who believe and do righteous deeds, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; while those who reject God will enjoy (this world) and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode.

• Veteran Member

To continue in Surah 57 which leads to the prophets and Messengers through to Muhammad.

25 We sent aforetime our apostles with Clear Signs and sent down with them the Book and the Balance (of Right and Wrong), that men may stand forth in justice; --- (The criterion of right and wrong was given to Moses, which was basically the Ten Commandments.)

And We sent down Iron, in which is (material for) mighty war, as well as many benefits for mankind, that God may test who it is that will help, Unseen, Him and His apostles: For God is Full of Strength, Exalted in Might (and able to enforce His Will).

--- From the OT we know that when God revealed the uses for metals like gold, silver, bronze and iron, He also gave the skill to men as to how to use them for their benefit. However, throughout the ages of history they began to use their skill to make idols to worship instead of God.

--- When Muhammad was called of God to speak against idolatry there were some 360 idols in the Kabah, the house of prayer, so God gave Muhammad wisdom and power to overcome the enemies of God and eventually destroy all of the idols. --- By the end of his life he had brought his people back again to worshiping God.

26 And We sent Noah and Abraham, and established in their line Prophethood and Revelation: and some of them were on right guidance. But many of them became rebellious transgressors.

--- Each generation had its believers and its wrong doers

• Veteran Member

After Noah and Abraham and the Prophets it says in Surah 57:

27 Then, in their wake, We followed them up with (others of) Our apostles: We sent after them Jesus the son of Mary, and bestowed on him the Gospel; and We ordained in the hearts of those who followed him Compassion and Mercy.

But the Monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them: (We commanded) only the seeking for the Good Pleasure of God; but that they did not foster as they should have done. Yet We bestowed, on those among them who believed, their (due) reward, but many of them are rebellious transgressors.

--- I understand that Muslims recognize 5 Prophets, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad. And they are all listed here in 57 in the continuation of God’s one religion. They are not three religions, but one, and the interesting thing is that there were people that failed and were disobedient to God in the times of Noah, Abraham and Moses.

--- But it said, “We sent Noah and Abraham, and established in their line Prophethood and Revelation. The reason for prophets was that God could speak to them hidden messages in Scripture, or predict future events. --- The Jewish people became so ungodly and idolatrous that in the time of the Prophet Jeremiah, they were taken as captives to Babylon for 70 years, where the old generation died. By the end of the 70 years their children and grandchildren were revived and sent back to Israel to rebuild the temple and Jerusalem. --- But some years later in the days of the Prophet Malachi, the Jews again failed and Israel was left without a messenger from God for four hundred years. --- But the promise was made of a coming Messiah.

So Jesus Christ came and restored the people to faith in God, and commissioning Apostles (ones sent forth) to carry the message of the Gospel to the world.

For some 300 years the Gospel was spread among the people and countries establishing local Churches that often became the center of the community. --- But then under Emperor Constantine of Rome, there was a change from the local independent Churches to a ‘mother Church’ that sought to control all the others. --- It was Satan’s attack on the Evangelical Church, and this is the setting of the second part of this verse that says:

27 Then, in their wake, We followed them up with (others of) Our apostles: We sent after them Jesus the son of Mary, and bestowed on him the Gospel; and We ordained in the hearts of those who followed him Compassion and Mercy.

--- So the message and ministry of the Gospel was Compassion (love for others), and Mercy. Also the ministry of healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out evil spirits, destroying idolatry and devil worship.

But in the process of establishing the new ‘mother Church’ they wrote new doctrines and trained new ministers, --- but not according to the Scriptures. --- They built Monasteries and housed the men, old and young together, to teach and learn the new doctrines. --- And this is what the Lord said:

But the Monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them:

(We commanded) only the seeking for the Good Pleasure of God; but that they did not foster as they should have done. Yet We bestowed, on those among them who believed, their (due) reward, but many of them are rebellious transgressors.

--- So these were the ones that hindered the going forth of the Gospel for many years through the dark ages. There were evil doers and 'rebellious transgressors' in the alternate Church, --- that God did not ordain.

• Veteran Member

In Surah 57 we come to the last Prophet, Muhammad.

28 O ye that believe! Fear God, and believe in His Apostle (Muhammad), and He (God) will bestow on you a double portion of His Mercy: He will provide for you a Light by which ye shall walk (straight in your path), and He will forgive you (your past): for God is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

--- This says almost the same for the ministry of Muhammad as it said for Jesus in Surah 5:46

We gave him the Gospel, containing guidance and light, and confirming the previous scriptures, the Torah, and augmenting its guidance and light, and to enlighten the righteous. 

--- (See how similar they are), He will provide for you a Light by which ye shall walk (straight in your path),

We gave him the Gospel, containing guidance and light, --- to enlighten the righteous.

The Light, which is capitalized in 28 refers to the Holy Spirit that gives Light and guidance, and reveals the Scriptures, as Jesus said to the disciples in John 14:26   But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

--- So Muhammad had the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and the same ministry as Jesus and the Apostles had, as it says in 28 and He (God) will bestow on you a double portion of His Mercy: He will provide for you a Light by which ye shall walk (straight in your path), and He will forgive you (your past): for God is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

--- Verse 29 seems to be a message to the ‘People of the Book’ which usually refers to the Jews who felt they were the religious leaders in Medina. --- For the Jews not to think that they were the only recipients of God’s grace.

29 That the People of the Book may know that they have no power whatever over the Grace of God, that (His) Grace is (entirely) in His Hand, to bestow it on whomsoever He wills. For God is the Lord of Grace abounding.

• Veteran Member

To try to understand the ministry of Muhammad we can see what it says in Surah 57 about the other ministries leading up to his, and what was given to him.

--- God is exalted in praise and glory in the heavens and should be praised and glorified on earth by His followers, as He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.

7 Believe in God and His apostle (Muhammad), and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity), - for them is a great Reward.

--- Charity is the sense of ‘giving without expecting anything in return,’ and in fact, giving to those who have nothing to give in return. God wants his people to be generous in their love and compassion for others. In so doing there is a great reward, as God restores more than is given.

8 What cause have ye why ye should not believe in God? - and the Apostle invites you to believe in your Lord, and has indeed taken your Covenant, if ye are men of Faith.

--- Muhammad invited the people to believe in the Lord and to be men of Faith. --- (Hebrews 11:6 "Without Faith it is impossible to please God.")

9 He is the One Who sends to His Servant Manifest Signs, that He may lead you from the depths of Darkness into the Light and verily God is to you most kind and Merciful.

--- And by faith we come into the realm of receiving God’s gifts. --- He takes us out of darkness and into the Light of the Holy Spirit. --- And God is most kind and merciful.

--- Muhammad showed exceptional mercy to others. --- With the incident of chastising some renegade Jews, a Jewess prepared food for them and served poison meat, to take vengeance. --- One man took a portion of meat and died immediately. Muhammad, who had put a portion in his mouth, stopped in time, but he did suffer from it.

However, when the Jewess was exposed as the one who did it, Muhammad forgave her.

12 One Day shalt thou see the believing men and the believing women- how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands: (their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! to dwell therein for aye! This is indeed the highest Achievement!"

--- The reward of people of Faith, their Light that guided them through life will convey them to their heavenly reward.

16 Has not the Time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of God and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them)?

--- (This is a question for today as well.)

19 And those who believe in God and His apostles- they are the Sincere (lovers of Truth), and the witnesses (who testify), in the eyes of their Lord: They shall have their Reward and their Light.

21  Be ye foremost (in seeking) Forgiveness from your Lord, and a Garden (of Bliss), the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in God and His apostles: that is the Grace of God, which He bestows on whom he pleases: and God is the Lord of Grace abounding.

--- The examples are all in the Truth that was revealed to Muhammad showing God’s grace, mercy and forgiveness.

25 We sent aforetime our apostles with Clear Signs and sent down with them the Book and the Balance (of Right and Wrong), that men may stand forth in justice; --- (The Ten Commandments to Moses. --- In other places called 'the Criterion of right and wrong.')

26 And We sent Noah and Abraham, and established in their line Prophethood and Revelation: and some of them were on right guidance.

--- So this was the ministry of Muhammad, --- which continued with the same teaching as Jesus. --- With the Light, the guidance of the Holy Spirit. --- And God’s teaching of grace, mercy, love and forgiveness to believers.

• Veteran Member

Muhammad received the call from God when he was about 40 years old. His custom was to retire for prayer and meditation each year to a cave named Hira. --- On this occasion the angel Gabriel spoke to him and called him to preach “One God” to the people of Mecca.  --- (This was the same angel Gabriel that had appeared to Zechariah, the Father of John the Baptist, and to Mary, the mother of Jesus, in Luke 1.)

Comments from online: In his teens, Muhammad accompanied his uncle on Syrian trading journeys to gain experience in commercial trade. Islamic tradition states that when Muhammad was either nine or twelve while accompanying the Meccans' caravan to Syria, he met a Christian monk or hermit named Bahira who is said to have foreseen Muhammad's career as a prophet of God.

It is known that he became a merchant and "was involved in trade between the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. Due to his upright character he acquired the nickname "al-Amin" (Arabic: الامين), meaning "faithful, trustworthy" and "al-Sadiq" meaning "truthful” and was sought out as an impartial arbitrator. His reputation attracted a proposal in 595 from Khadijah, a successful businesswoman, (whose husband had died, but who Muhammad had previously worked for). Muhammad consented to the marriage, which by all accounts was a happy one.

According to Muslim tradition, Muhammad's wife Khadija, who was a believer, was the first to believe he was a prophet. She was followed by Muhammad's ten-year-old cousin Ali ibn Abi Talib, 

According to Ibn Saad, opposition in Mecca started when Muhammad delivered verses that condemned idol worship and the polytheism practiced by the Meccan forefathers. However, the Quranic exegesis maintains that it began as Muhammad started public preaching. As his followers increased, Muhammad became a threat to the local tribes and rulers of the city, whose wealth rested upon the Ka'aba, the focal point of Meccan religious life that Muhammad threatened to overthrow. Muhammad's denunciation of the Meccan traditional religion was especially offensive to his own tribe, the Quraysh, as they were the guardians of the Ka'aba. Powerful merchants attempted to convince Muhammad to abandon his preaching; he was offered admission to the inner circle of merchants, as well as an advantageous marriage. --- He refused both of these offers

The people were given over to idolatry as there were some 360 idols in the Ka’aba the house of prayer, or ‘house of God,’ --- So Muhammad’s beginning was with much opposition. --- However his followers continued to multiply.

In 615, some of Muhammad's followers emigrated to the Ethiopian Kingdom of Aksum and founded a small colony under the protection of the Christian Ethiopian emperor Aṣḥama ibn Abjar. --- Meccan persecution played a major role in Muhammad's decision to suggest that a number of his followers seek refuge among the Christians in Abyssinia. --- They later joined the growing number of Muslims in Medina.

On His return to Mecca, with a general surrender to Muhammad and his followers, most of the people became Muslims. --- And as time went on in dealing with the enemies among them, Muhammad gave them three choices. --- Become a believer, ---leave the country, --- or run the risk of being killed as an enemy of God. --- At His Farewell Pilgrimage, shortly before he died, he declared that he had kept his obligation to God, and at that time most of Arabia believed in One God.

--- When I read the Quran years ago I was fascinated with the story of God’s calling, as it was similar to the calling of other Prophets. --- And when God called one to be a Prophet, He supported them through to the completion of their ministry. --- Muhammad’s 23 year ministry from 609 – 632 brought the people back to Faith in God. --- And as it says in Surah 57:28 O ye that believe! Fear God, and believe in His Apostle (Muhammad), and He (God) will bestow on you a double portion of His Mercy: He will provide for you a Light by which ye shall walk (straight in your path), and He will forgive you (your past): for God is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

--- So this was the ministry of Muhammad.