Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Fasting on the day of Ashura - How Ummayads wanted to turn Ashura into a day of blessing?

Guest Syed Jawad Asghar Rizvi

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
33 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Regarding chicken, I quoted a Hadith from your literature in which sayyidina Ali كرم الله وجهه allegedly said chicken is the swine of birds, comparing chicken to pig.

any shia knew that chicken is halal also all Marjas agree on this but your conclusion is a literal comparing that is totally wrong anyway this hadith is about  position of hen (chicken) between birds not about being Halal or Haram .

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Cherub786 At first you were suggesting that the calendars no longer match because the the Jews changed it. Then when I asked you when this change occurred you tell me it happened before Islam and the

I had a similar topic 3 years ago. Here are 3 main problems on this issue: 1) Some narrations only mention "Ashura" which could be the 10th of any month. "Ashura" being associated with Muhar

l agree. His verbose diatribes border on the pontificating. He does appear to write from a pre-determined script. Pasting pre-writ paragraphs. l have also wonder if this is not a he, but 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ShiaMan14 said:

When did it begin and why?

Is it Muhammad the Prophet's sunnah or Muhammad the Administrator's sunnah?

It is his Prophetic Sunnah. It is established as Amal al-Tawatur.

It is also validated in the Shi’ah madhhab. It is mentioned in your literature that there is great virtue in fasting on Ashura, that it is an expiation for one’s sins of the entire year, and that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم himself fasted on Ashura.

According to a Shi’ah Hadith, the command to fast on Ashura began in the time of Noah, and it is the day when Allah accepted the repentance of Adam and Eve, the day when Allah split the sea for Bani Israel, drowned Pharaoh, and gave victory to Moses, the day Abraham was born, the Day Allah accepted the repentance of Nineveh at the hands of Jonas, the day Jesus was born, and the day the Qa’im (Mahdi) will rise up:

title.png.0d84b49b1b338ac4a051692f6e5fed40.png1823445546_VirtueofFastingonAshura(TahdhibalAhkamv_4p.375).png.e0d7577949a55d5813581666ca33dd49.png

3 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

It is also validated in the Shi’ah madhhab

4 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

the command to fast on Ashura began in the time of Noah, and it is the day when Allah accepted the repentance of Adam and Eve, the day when Allah split the sea for Bani Israel, drowned Pharaoh, and gave victory to Moses, the day Abraham was born, the Day Allah accepted the repentance of Nineveh at the hands of Jonas, the day Jesus was born, and the day the Qa’im (Mahdi) will rise up:

in footnote said that is said under Taqyia

image.png.fb3e0a62067a696b808dadd2596585b2.png

raw translation " it's clear that it's narrated on Taqyia although (sheikh ) Saduq -(ra)- narrated in his Amali & etc indeed happening of theses blessings in this day is from lies (falsifying) of common people (ie sunnis ) & their fellows ; that it proves from coming news (narrations)  too 

9 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

in footnote said that is said under Taqyia

image.png.fb3e0a62067a696b808dadd2596585b2.png

raw translation " it's clear that it's narrated on Taqyia although (sheikh ) Saduq -(ra)- narrated in his Amali & etc indeed happening of theses blessings in this day is from lies (falsifying) of common people (ie sunnis ) & their fellows ; that it proves from coming news (narrations)  too 

1. Who claimed it was narrated under Taqiyah?

2. How does one determine if a Hadith of an Imam or Prophet is Taqiyah or not?

3. Have not all of the akhbar of your Imams now become doubtful since there is the possibility that they were narrated under Taqiyah?

4. Is it permissible to lie about the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم under the pretext of Taqiyah, given that it is Mutawatir from the Prophet “whoever lies upon me let him take his seat in the Hellfire”

5. Under what circumstances is it allowed to do Taqiyah?

6. Why did your scholars write the narrations under Taqiyah in your literature?

Edited by Cherub786

@Cherub786 

1.the footnote of book is clear that it said under Taqyia

2.by researcher of book & knowledgeable people in science of Hadith.

3. no because we rely on ration & holy book of Quran not every text as hadith.

4.it's about narrating in name of prophet like Abuhuraira did it but Sahabi Ammar yasir did taqyia when he was tortured by Mushrikins that even sunni hadith books mentioned that prophet Muhammad (pbu) endosed his Taqyia

5.we only can do Taqyia when our life is under danger or our saying truth will lead to preserving shia community from danger of enemies 

Edited by Mahdavist
Insulting comment removed
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

I reported this personal insult, like last time, I think you want to be banned again.

1.the footnote of book is clear that it said under Taqyia

Who wrote the footnote? What is his name? What is his status? How does the footnote writer’s words overrule that of your infallible Imams?

2.by researcher of book & knowledgeable people in science of Hadith.

So a researcher has greater authority than your own infallible Imams? Do you have any proof from the infallible Imams themselves that they clarified to their followers that they should not act upon these narrations as they were said under Taqiyah?

3. no because we rely on ration & holy book of Quran not every text as hadith.

What does the Quran say about fasting on Ashura?

Now you have basically agreed that your entire Hadith corpus and literature of sayings and deeds of your infallible Imams are worthless because there is the doubt of taqiyah. The Quran is sufficient for you and you don’t need infallible Imams or their Ahadith, correct?

4.it's about narrating in name of prophet like Abuhuraira did it but Sahabi Ammar yasir did taqyia when he was tortured by Mushrikins that even sunni hadith books mentioned that prophet Muhammad (pbu) endosed his Taqyia

Who was torturing your infallible Imams to fabricate narrations about the virtues of Ashura?

5.we only can do Taqyia when our life is under danger or our saying truth will lead to preserving shia community from danger of enemies 

What is the proof your life is in danger from not fasting on Ashura, or that the Shi’ah community is in danger if they don’t believe it is Sunnah to fast on Ashura?

Edited by Mahdavist
Quoted statement has been removed
2 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Who wrote the footnote? What is his name? What is his status? How does the footnote writer’s words overrule that of your infallible Imams?

image.png.b0d0e2257698333d3813389a3aebafb4.png Ali Akbar al Ghafari

So a researcher has greater authority than your own infallible Imams? Do you have any proof from the infallible Imams themselves that they clarified to their followers that they should not act upon these narrations as they were said under Taqiyah?

your researchers like Albani also rejected many narrations in so called Sahih books , do yo consider him greater than Abuhanifa ?! even Abuhanifa didn't accept all sunni hadiths .

6 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

What does the Quran say about fasting on Ashura?

Now you have basically agreed that your entire Hadith corpus and literature of sayings and deeds of your infallible Imams are worthless because there is the doubt of taqiyah. The Quran is sufficient for you and you don’t need infallible Imams or their Ahadith, correct?

this is another false conclusion by you also you clearly don't belive to infability of our Imams also our Imams said that we must compre any hadith with holy Quran that we use both Quran & hadith from our Imams but hadiths that are verified by holy Quran &rational thinking , the bold part is slogan of Umar that has no validity for us but it's fundemental of your madhhab .

12 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Who was torturing your infallible Imams to fabricate narrations about the virtues of Ashura?

the Ummayyids and Abbasids 

13 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

What is the proof your life is in danger from not fasting on Ashura, or that the Shi’ah community is in danger if they don’t believe it is Sunnah to fast on Ashura

in time of Ummayid & Abbasids the shias were under danger from not fasting on Ashura & not beleiving to Sunnah to fast on Ashura even in time of Ummayids if name of one person was Ali then automatically without question he was a criminal.

4 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Ali Akbar al Ghafari

Okay, and how did this individual determine that your infallible Imams praised the virtue of fasting on Ashura to have been done under Taqiyah? Did he personally know those Imams? Does he have higher authority than your infallible Imams?

this is another false conclusion by you also you clearly don't belive to infability of our Imams also our Imams said that we must compre any hadith with holy Quran that we use both Quran & hadith from our Imams but hadiths that are verified by holy Quran &rational thinking

How do the Ahadith about the virtue of fasting on Ashura oppose the Quran? In other words, where does the Quran say fasting on Ashura is wrong or evil?

in time of Ummayid & Abbasids the shias were under danger from not fasting on Ashura & not beleiving to Sunnah to fast on Ashura even in time of Ummayids if name of one person was Ali then automatically without question he was a criminal.

What is the historical evidence that the Umayyads and Abbasids tortured your infallible Imams and forced them to narrate Ahadith about the virtues of fasting on Ashura?

5 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

How do the Ahadith about the virtue of fasting on Ashura oppose the Quran? In other words, where does the Quran say fasting on Ashura is wrong or evil?

because it is following Shaitan & his companions the Ummayyid dynasty the cursed tree in holy Quran.

6 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Okay, and how did this individual determine that your infallible Imams praised the virtue of fasting on Ashura to have been done under Taqiyah? Did he personally know those Imams? Does he have higher authority than your infallible Imams?

by doing research instead of blindly accepting everything 

7 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

What is the historical evidence that the Umayyads and Abbasids tortured your infallible Imams and forced them to narrate Ahadith about the virtues of fasting on Ashura?

read any sunni & Shia book about their life.

2 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

because it is following Shaitan & his companions the Ummayyid dynasty the cursed tree in holy Quran.

by doing research instead of blindly accepting everything 

read any sunni & Shia book about their life.

You didn’t answer any of my questions. Your first sentence is a circular argument, and your third sentence doesn’t answer the specific question I asked.

16 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Your first sentence is a circular argument

There are many traditions in its explanation that the cursed tree is the lineage of Bani Umayyah. That is why Ayyashi and other narrators with many chains of narrators have related from Amirul Momineen ((عليه السلام).), Imam Baqir ((عليه السلام).) and Imam Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) that the cursed tree is Bani Umayyah.

Ayyashi has also narrated through many chain of narrators in the explanation of this verse that the Holy Prophet (S) dreamt that a group of people are going on his pulpit and making people aloof from the religion, after that Jibraeel came with this verse that the unjust caliphs and Bani Umayyah would sit on your pulpit and make people aloof from religion.

Ayyashi has also narrated from Imam Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) that one day the Holy Prophet (S) emerged from his house in very aggrieved mood. The companions asked the reason for his grief. He said: Last night I saw a dream that the descendants of Bani Umayyah were mounting my pulpit. When I asked Allah whether this would happen in my lifetime, He said: It would occur after your passing away.

According to other traditions the Holy Prophet (S) said: I saw twelve persons from Bani Umayyah climbing my Pulpit.

Shaykh Tabarsi has related that the Prophet saw some people going up and down his pulpit. After this, till the Prophet was alive, no one saw him laughing.

https://www.al-islam.org/hayat-al-qulub-vol3-allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi/part-31-consecrated-tree-denotes-ahlul-bayt

“Muawiyyah” and Banu Umayyad the tree cursed in Quran

https://www.valiasr-aj.com/english/mobile_shownews.php?idnews=473

https://allaboutshias.com/the-cursed-tree/

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Al-Shajara_al-Mal'una

20 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

your third sentence doesn’t answer the specific question I asked.

https://www.al-islam.org/brief-history-fourteen-infallibles

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

It is his Prophetic Sunnah. It is established as Amal al-Tawatur.

I didn't ask about what it means in Shiah ahadith, I am interested in the Sunni narrative.

Okay, its amal-tawatur. What does that mean? When did it start? What were the reasons?

13 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I didn't ask about what it means in Shiah ahadith, I am interested in the Sunni narrative.

Why aren’t you interested in Shi’ah ahadith?

This debate is pretty much concluded after I quoted narrations from your own infallible Imams that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم fasted on Ashura, and that there is great virtue in doing so, such as expiation for the sins of the entire year. I’m not even sure this amazing virtue is mentioned in Sunni Ahadith. But hey, that’s just an added incentive to fast on Ashura, I am a very sinful person at the end of the day, if Allah forgives me for all my sins of the year what’s there to lose?

I also shattered to pieces Ash’s pathetic explanation of taqiyah. If you want to insist on the taqiyah argument, your entire madhhab becomes doubtful because every single narration of your infallible Imams becomes doubtful whether they really meant it or were saying it under Taqiyah.

13 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Okay, its amal-tawatur. What does that mean? When did it start? What were the reasons?

Amal al-Tawatur means it was mass practised by the Muslims, generation to generation, going back to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and his Sahabah رضى الله عنهم just like how Fajr being 2 raka’at is established as an Amal al-Tawatur. Even if there wasn’t a single Hadith regarding fasting on Ashura, it is still a part of our Religion since it is established through a superior source, namely, Amal al-Tawatur which we call Sunnat al-Ma’lumah.

As for when it started, that is an academic discussion, but it is immaterial to the discussion on the fasting itself being a part of the Religion.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Why aren’t you interested in Shi’ah ahadith?

I am not interested in shiah hadith because our scholars have recommended against this practice. 

Sunni scholars insist in it being valid so I am interested in why they think so.

This debate is pretty much concluded after I quoted narrations from your own infallible Imams that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم fasted on Ashura, and that there is great virtue in doing so, such as expiation for the sins of the entire year. I’m not even sure this amazing virtue is mentioned in Sunni Ahadith. But hey, that’s just an added incentive to fast on Ashura, I am a very sinful person at the end of the day, if Allah forgives me for all my sins of the year what’s there to lose?

I also shattered to pieces Ash’s pathetic explanation of taqiyah. If you want to insist on the taqiyah argument, your entire madhhab becomes doubtful because every single narration of your infallible Imams becomes doubtful whether they really meant it or were saying it under Taqiyah.

The debate actually concluded back when you couldn't explain when and how this practice started. 

I havent followed Ash's discuasion so i can't speak to it.

Amal al-Tawatur means it was mass practised by the Muslims, generation to generation, going back to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and his Sahabah رضى الله عنهم just like how Fajr being 2 raka’at is established as an Amal al-Tawatur. Even if there wasn’t a single Hadith regarding fasting on Ashura, it is still a part of our Religion since it is established through a superior source, namely, Amal al-Tawatur which we call Sunnat al-Ma’lumah.

I know what tawatur is. I am asking how is this tawatur. How many examples does it take to say something is tawatur and then show me examples of this. From my limited knowledge, other than a few narrations from when the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) arrived in Medina, are there narrations about this? I am looking for something like Salman was walking down Main St., Medina and Bilal asked him to go to Cafe Zatir; Salman politely declined saying that he was fasting as it was 'Ashura'. Then its tawatur. I also asked my speculative question that if this was so tawatur, why didnt it come up during the final conversation between Umar bin Saad and Imam Hussain (عليه السلام)?

As for when it started, that is an academic discussion, but it is immaterial to the discussion on the fasting itself being a part of the Religion.

Hmmm, here i thought we were having an academic discussion. It is very material to the discussion of being part of Islam. I need to know of this is a Jewish tradition or Islamic. Will you be celebrating Yom Kippur next year.

So academic discussion: when did this tradition start?

1 minute ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I am not interested in shiah hadith because our scholars have recommended against this practice. 

What kind of Shi’ite are you? Taking the verdict of your fallible scholars over your infallible Imams?

I know what tawatur is. I am asking how is this tawatur. How many examples does it take to say something is tawatur and then show me examples of this. From my limited knowledge, other than a few narrations from when the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) arrived in Medina, are there narrations about this? I am looking for something like Salman was walking down Main St., Medina and Bilal asked him to go to Cafe Zatir; Salman politely declined saying that he was fasting as it was 'Ashura'. Then its tawatur. 

You apparently don’t know what Amal al-Tawatur is. The key word is “Amal”. Amal al-Tawatur is not referring to riwayat (narrations) but the mass practise of Muslims generation to generation.

• Veteran Member

What kind of Shi’ite are you? Taking the verdict of your fallible scholars over your infallible Imams?

Yeah, I am a really bad shia but I don't follow Jewish customs so at least I have that going for me.

4 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

You apparently don’t know what Amal al-Tawatur is. The key word is “Amal”. Amal al-Tawatur is not referring to riwayat (narrations) but the mass practise of Muslims generation to generation.

Its quite simple. You said fasting on Ashura is amal-tawatur. How will you show that to be true all the way from the time of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) if you don't use narrations? 

I know this is practiced now. My contention is that this practice started post-Karbala due to Ummayya propaganda. Your arguement is that this started from the time of the Prophwt (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). My sime request is when did it start and show it was tawatur from 1AH to 61AH - so simple.

• Veteran Member
17 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

ہَاتُوۡا بُرۡہَانَکُمۡ اِنۡ کُنۡتُمۡ صٰدِقِیۡنَ

You are looking for proof?

The fact that there are no narrations about this occurring outside of the narrations about the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

On 9/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, ShiaMan14 said:

You are looking for proof?

The fact that there are no narrations about this occurring outside of the narrations about the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

Please prove your claim that the fasting of Ashura is a post-Karbala phenomenon due to Umayyad propaganda. You made a specific claim, I expect you to prove it with specific evidence.

I’ve already proven from your own Shi’ite literature that your Imams said the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to fast on Ashura, and there is great virtue in doing so. Is Shi’ite literature “Umayyad propaganda” too?

I even proved from the literature of a third party (Ibadi sect) that fasting on Ashura is prescribed and virtuous. The Ibadis are a Kharijite sect who, like the Shi'ites, hate the Umayyads.

So I have established the Sunnah of fasting on Ashura from 1. Sunni Hadith 2. Shi'ah Hadith and 3. Ibadi Hadith.

• Veteran Member
9 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Please prove your claim that the fasting of Ashura is a post-Karbala phenomenon due to Umayyad propaganda. You made a specific claim, I expect you to prove it with specific evidence.

I’ve already proven from your own Shi’ite literature that your Imams said the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to fast on Ashura, and there is great virtue in doing so. Is Shi’ite literature “Umayyad propaganda” too?

I even proved from the literature of a third party (Ibadi sect) that fasting on Ashura is prescribed and virtuous. The Ibadis are a Kharijite sect who, like the Shi'ites, hate the Umayyads.

So I have established the Sunnah of fasting on Ashura from 1. Sunni Hadith 2. Shi'ah Hadith and 3. Ibadi Hadith.

Simply show me examples of people fasting on Ashura during the lifetime of the Propet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and until Karbala.

The narrations you have from Sunni, Shiah and Ibadi sources do not add up. Just within Sunni folklore, you can determine if the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) fasted in solidarity with the kuffar of Mecca or the Jews of Medina.

3 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Simply show me examples of people fasting on Ashura during the lifetime of the Propet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and until Karbala.

The narrations you have from Sunni, Shiah and Ibadi sources do not add up. Just within Sunni folklore, you can determine if the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) fasted in solidarity with the kuffar of Mecca or the Jews of Medina.

You made the claim and are asking me for evidence to the contrary.

Anyways, that evidence has already been presented from your own books. I quoted four Ahadith from Tahdhib al-Ahkam, the first narrated by sayyidina Ali رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura is an expiation for the sins of the year, the second that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to fast on Ashura, the third narrated by Imam Zain al-Abidin رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura is expiation for the sins of the year, the fourth narrated by Imam Muhammad al-Baqir رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura began in the time of Noah, who was ordered to fast on that day along with all the people and jinn, and that Ashura is the day Adam and Eve’s repentance was accepted, the repentance of Nineveh was accepted, Abraham was born, Jesus was born, Bani Israel and Moses were victorious over Pharaoh, and the day the Qa’im shall rise up.

Put aside the Sunni and Ibadi Ahadith for the moment, what is your answer to these four Ahadith I presented from Tahdhib al-Ahkam?

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Cherub786 said:

You made the claim and are asking me for evidence to the contrary.

Anyways, that evidence has already been presented from your own books. I quoted four Ahadith from Tahdhib al-Ahkam, the first narrated by sayyidina Ali رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura is an expiation for the sins of the year, the second that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to fast on Ashura, the third narrated by Imam Zain al-Abidin رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura is expiation for the sins of the year, the fourth narrated by Imam Muhammad al-Baqir رضى الله عنه that fasting on Ashura began in the time of Noah, who was ordered to fast on that day along with all the people and jinn, and that Ashura is the day Adam and Eve’s repentance was accepted, the repentance of Nineveh was accepted, Abraham was born, Jesus was born, Bani Israel and Moses were victorious over Pharaoh, and the day the Qa’im shall rise up.

Put aside the Sunni and Ibadi Ahadith for the moment, what is your answer to these four Ahadith I presented from Tahdhib al-Ahkam?

Your track record of presenting fake or weak narrations is reaching legendary levels.

I didn't make a claim. You stated that fasting on Ashura was tawatur so I simply asked for narrations that prove it was such. I am only looking for something like, "Person X was fasting on Ashura and XYZ happened."

Between sunnis, you can't figure out if the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) fasted pre-hijra or post hijra or both.

Sunni narrative is that on Ashura, the Prophet fasted with the kuffar of mecca who fasted with the Jews of Medina and when the Prophet moved to Medina some time after moving to Medina the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) found out the Jews of Medina fasted and fasted again on Ashura. Did he double fast?

#SunniFolklore

4 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Your track record of presenting fake or weak narrations is reaching legendary levels.

Are you suggesting that some or all of these four narrations are weak? Please explain. I would like your answer to these narrations, we can put aside Sunni Ahadith for now for the simple reason that Ashura fasting is validated in your own Hadith literature. What is the reason you ignore your own Hadith?

• Veteran Member
55 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Are you suggesting that some or all of these four narrations are weak? Please explain. I would like your answer to these narrations, we can put aside Sunni Ahadith for now for the simple reason that Ashura fasting is validated in your own Hadith literature. What is the reason you ignore your own Hadith?

I would love to answer as I always to but first we must re-start the conversation where we left off (remember I have been asking this question for several weeks now)...

How long after moving to Medina did the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) start the fast of Ashura?

Edited by ShiaMan14
49 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I would love to answer as I always to but first we must re-start the conversation where we left off (remember I have been asking this question for several weeks now)...

How long after moving to Medina did the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) start the fast of Ashura?

I’ll say it again, I will answer that once you tell me the date of the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم arrival in Medina.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Cherub786 said:

I’ll say it again, I will answer that once you tell me the date of the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم arrival in Medina.

Why dont you tell me both?

Your premise is that fasting on Ashura was enjoined because of Jewish Id. What day exactly was that? What Id was it?