Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Washing after urinating/defecating

Rate this topic

Guest Guest786

Guest Guest786

Salaam Alaikum

I've been going through a lot of waswasa for the last few months. Lately, it's become very difficult for me to use the washroom, as I'm scared the water used to clean myself doesn't reach the entire area. This causes me to spend.almost 20 minutes washing myself after urinating and more than 40 minutes after defecating. The problem is is that when I urinate, I wash the entire area (thighs + urinary outlet) by starting from one end and pouring all the way to the other end (sorry for the graphic imagery). However, I'm still scared the water doesn't reach the urinary outlet properly as the water bends when I pour it, hence leaving out some areas. I'm not sure if it's just my waswasa bothering me but it's becoming very difficult for me to use the washroom. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• Advanced Member

I once heard in a lecture that the person who doubts a lot, should just go with his doubts and move on and Allah is the most merciful.
And I can assure you, the water has reached your desired location 100%. No need to worry, inshallah everything will be okay. Try to do istighfar and try to say "a'udhu billahi min al-shaytaan al rajeem" to ward off shayateen and their waswasa. Trust Allah.

Guest Guest786

Thank you for the response

The problem is is that I use a jug to wash myself which is why I am doubting whether the water reaches everywhere or not. 

The other thing is that when I do number 2, I use my hand to wash myself. However, I keep on feeling stuff down there even as I continue to wash. I'm scared there is some poo left over, even though I keep on putting my hand and washing. This causes me to spend a really long time washing myself. What should I do?

• Advanced Member

Salams,

Waswasa was a huge problem for me as well. Most of this waswasa starts of by developing a bad habitat overtime which was influenced by the shaitaan which he then exploited. All these doubts you get are literally from the shaitaan. He wants you to stop caring about cleaning and purifying yourself.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, Guest Guest786 said:

as I'm scared the water used to clean myself doesn't reach the entire area

I was told with regards to my waswasa is that whenever these doubts come try to ignore them, I know it is really difficult to do but once you start doing so, it becomes much easier. As the fellow member above said, you can go on with it and rely on God. I was also told this hadith, that was along the lines of 'Everything is pure until you learn of it's impurity'. So basically, in your case you are tahir because you are 'unaware'. Allah won't hold something you didn't know against you, don't let the shaitaan instil this fear of impurity in you because he wants to you neglect this integral part.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, Guest Guest786 said:

This causes me to spend.almost 20 minutes washing myself after urinating and more than 40 minutes after defecating.

However, I keep on feeling stuff down there even as I continue to wash. I'm scared there is some poo left over, even though I keep on putting my hand and washing. This causes me to spend a really long time washing myself. What should I do?

After using the toilet, we need to clean the area and purify the area. I was taught as a child to just wash the area three times after urinating and after you do so, rely on God and leave. You want to minimise the time you spend in the toilet. Spending too much time in toilet may lead to other problems such as excessive use of water, so be careful of this. At first, it is going to be difficult to leave instantly but this has to built up, just like your waswasa wasn't developed overnight, it isn't going to be fixed overnight. It's a process, you need to strengthen your will which comes along the journey in getting rid of it. So after urinating, wash the area three times and say No more, and just leave. This is what you want. The shaitaan is going to keep telling you it isn't pure, don't listen to him, this thought is coming from the shaitaan so shut him down. He is your enemy, not your friend and God has told us not to take him as an ally. Will power plays a great role in getting rid of this. You need to say no more and stop it right then and there. With regards to defecating you should really just clean the area and once it is clean and there is no physical leftover, you need not worry about the the feeling that is there poo left over, this feeling really wouldn't mean anything because there is nothing left of it physically. Try to set a time limit for how long you can stay in the bathroom, maybe decrease the amount of time allowed gradually maybe by 1-5 mins, every week or if you want to every two days or something. Once the time limit is finished after purifying yourself just get up and leave, you need a lot of will to do this. Get up and leave and don't worry about it. Like I said before, you are tahir as you are unaware of any impurity, if you are hundred percent certain then it needs to be purified, but because you don't know, you are pure.

InshAllah this will help, if there are any questions you still have, don't be afraid to ask, we are here to help.

With Duas and Salams.

Guest Guest 786

Thank you for your response, it is really encouraging given my current situation

The problem is is that I keep on feeling poo down there and so I don't know when to stop - I usually just wash a couple of times and then just get out of the washroom. Is this okay?

Also, I don't have a spray in my washroom, so I have to use a jug. The problem is is that I continuously have to get up to refill the jug as I don't feel the water has reached everywhere. Then, I continuously have doubts whether this is my first or second wash, and it becomes an endless cycle.

The other issue right now is that I don't remember whether I used to wash myself once to twice before (like when I used to use the washroom before). What should I do?

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Since you are excessively doubtful, washing the urinary organ and the anus to the extent that a normal person would become certain that it has been purified, it is sufficient.

Ruling 223. If an obsessively doubtful person (muwaswis) who does not attain certainty in the washing of an impure object washes it in the same way that normal people wash it, his actions are sufficient to deem the object pure. https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2149/

Also, the qalil water used when purifying the urinary organ and anus (from the jug) has the same rulings as kurr water. The qalil water does not become impure upon contact with the najasat as long as the colour, taste or smell does not change and some other conditions are fulfilled.

Ruling 26. Qalīl water with which the urinary outlet or the anus are washed does not make anything it comes into contact with impure, provided that five conditions are met:

1. it does not acquire the smell, colour, or taste of the impurity;
2. another impurity has not come into contact with it;
3. another impurity, such as blood, has not come out with the urine or faeces;
4. particles of faeces do not appear in the water;
5. a more than usual amount of impurity has not spread around the urinary outlet or the anus. https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2118/

• Advanced Member
On 8/28/2020 at 12:04 PM, ShiaofAli12 said:

I was also told this hadith, that was along the lines of 'Everything is pure until you learn of it's impurity'. So basically, in your case you are tahir because you are 'unaware'.

That is not what the hadith means. The hadith states that everything is pure until you become certain that it is impure. In this case he is certain something is impure and does not know whether it has become pure. However excessive doubts must be ignored.