Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

https://obesity.procon.org/global-obesity-levels/

No Muslim country made it into the top 10, however between 10 and 20 we stole the show.

The overall numbers seem very high, I wonder how overweight you have to be to be considered obese.

Screenshot_20200823-164321_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ali_Hussain
Changed fat to overweight for political correctness
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

It says something about the "10-20" countries when you see that the top ten to be countries with very small populations.

I mean what's even going on?? 9 out of 10 are Arab countries...

Edited by Berber-Shia
  • Forum Administrators
40 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

No Muslim country made it into the top 10

Well the top 10 seem to be in Polynesia and if Gaugin's paintings are anything to go by (from the 19th century), their body shape is nothing new [warning: some can be unIslamic].

The Middle East I would guess is a result of a climate that discourages exercise and improved living standards have made that discouragement much easier. As for the Gulf countries that's even more the case.

Iran does well.

• Veteran Member
5 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Well the top 10 seem to be in Polynesia and if Gaugin's paintings are anything to go by (from the 19th century), their body shape is nothing new [warning: some can be unIslamic].

The Middle East I would guess is a result of a climate that discourages exercise and improved living standards have made that discouragement much easier. As for the Gulf countries that's even more the case.

Iran does well.

For the people in the middle east it is probably a mixture of gluttony on the one hand and on the other hand, like in the west, the body not reacting well to all the additives in modern food.

• Forum Administrators
5 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

gluttony

I think my formulation was better, sedentary lifestyle and improved living standards.

I get the impression that there are people around here who think their BMI is a non-mahram so they keep well away from looking at it, we don't want them reporting your post.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I think my formulation was better, sedentary lifestyle and improved living standards.

Most probably. Because when you see more industrial and agricultural countries like Morocco or Iran they are lower on the list.

6 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I don't know man. I wouldn't categorize Iraq or Libya as having improved living standards

• Forum Administrators
14 minutes ago, Berber-Shia said:

Iraq or Libya as having improved living standards

Before the West decided to cut them both down to size, I think they did have reasonably good living standards.

At one point Libya is cited as having about 20,000 government sponsored students overseas, in contrast Saudi has about 160,000 - for a population that is about 6 times larger.

https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20151208190817896

https://monitor.icef.com/2014/07/libya-struggling-to-meet-massive-demand-for-higher-education/

• Forum Administrators
11 minutes ago, notme said:

I don't know if it counts as "obesity" if that's just the body shape in those ethnicities, and they are otherwise healthy. 

That's why I added the bit about Gauguin, they've always been like that.

• Forum Administrators
30 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Some larger women are even considered more attractive. 

I think that's the voice of Satan when you look at @starlight pictures of cakes in Lahori cafes.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I think that's the voice of Satan when you look at @starlight pictures of cakes in Lahori cafes.

Do I smell envy? :shifty:

Brother, given the extreme weather, outdoor lifestyle and socioeconomic conditions it takes one considerable work over years to attain the rank of obese in Pakistan 

I had actually given some thought to this before. In GCC there is little fresh produce. Fast food is popular and cheap. People can afford air-conditioning 24x7 so they are hardly ever exposed to the natural climate. Their bodies never have to burn any calories to maintain body temperature. The result is obesity.

In contrast to that in Pakistan only a small population can afford to consume fast food on a daily basis. Most of the people live and function from temperature ranging from 47C to -5C without air-conditioning or heating which might turn us into whiny, cranky individuals on a day to day basis lolz but the blessing in disguise is better metabolism and less health issues.

• Forum Administrators
39 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

People stayed in during lockdown but their tummy didn't. 

Hula hooping is amazing for keeping the tummy in. Plus you can listen to podcasts etc.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, starlight said:

outdoor lifestyle and socioeconomic conditions it takes one considerable work over years to attain the rank of obese in Pakistan 

Women in North Africa have something they eat to get big, according to my ex.

Happily she didn't.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Happily she didn't.

Sub-Saharan Africans go to fat camps to get big, they are fed a lot of noodles.

North Africans women apparently just eat a lot of Nutella.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Veteran Member

About 3-4 years back, DeutscheWelle ran a program on the German gov't's investigation on why weight gain and explosive obesity rates began to occur in the early 1970s. They found it was do to the introduction of HFCS -High Fructose Corn Syrup (not traditional corn syrup).

This 2 minute video summarizes the info of that program with the exception of that HFCS creates diabetes "by other means", id est the liver.

Iso-glucose = HFCS in this film. Also, it is labeled as Dextrose and other misleading names.

https://www.dw.com/en/isoglucose-cheap-but-unhealthy/av-45089954

NOTE: Last Winter l was reading on artificial sweeteners. As the film says, HFCS is produced by mixing an enzyme with corn; but other, non-hazardous sweeteners are produced with different enzymes, such as aspartame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Development Team
On 8/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, hasanhh said:

Happily she didn't.

Leblouh, and apparently they drink 5.5 gallons of camel milk and eat 4 pounds of ground millet, mixed with two cups of butter every day.

• Veteran Member
10 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Leblouh, and apparently they drink 5.5 gallons of camel milk and eat 4 pounds of ground millet, mixed with two cups of butter every day.

Throw some eggs into the mix and you could have a mad pancake party

• Veteran Member
46 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

It would taste more savory and probably edible, compared to the millet-butter gruel I described.

For sure, add some whipped cream, some Nutella, some caramel perhaps, all of a sudden it turns into a fun holiday rather than slow torture

• Veteran Member
14 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Gaius and Ali are making me 'sick' with their culinary concoctions.

Me, l have lost another pound.

0f course, remembering this stuff may elp in further weight loss.

I ate a cheesecake for breakfast :coffee:

Edited by Ali_Hussain