Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did you find your religion or did you inherit it?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Are you following your religion because your forefathers followed it or did you come to the truth through thorough research and understanding?

• Advanced Member

I'm sure we all have a journey of faith or to faith or towards faith.  Being born in a garage doesn't make me a car!  At some point we all have to make a choice.  Is the religion or way of life of my parents something I want to own for myself.

My family were people who Followed Jesus and I naturally joined them.  When I went to university and was away from home influences I stopped and asked "Is this faith real, true, worth following?"

I became convinced of the existance of God through logical discussion and through reading the Bible.  I also experienced a living encounter with God through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  This relationship has continued, grown and matures each passing day.  I think God found me, as I looked in the darkness.

• Veteran Member
22 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I also experienced a living encounter with God through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, Guest Satiabaner said:

It found me

Peace my brothers in humanity.

Please expand on your spiritual experiences if you don’t mind and have time.

• Advanced Member
On 8/20/2020 at 2:53 PM, Ejaz said:

Please expand on your spiritual experiences if you don’t mind and have time.

Hi Ejaz

Thanks for asking this! - Wow what a big question; how do you describe the core of your being or talk about the energy source of your life?

I begin and end each day resting in God's presence, knowing he is there beside me.  At these times as I read the Bible and think about the meaning, I sense God directing, teaching, challenging or comforting me.  I find guidance and a framework for my daily living. 

During the day, I recognise God is there with me in my journey and I talk with him about the thoughts and experiences of the day.  He often draws my attention to an object through which he passes on a truth about life.  When people come into my mind, I share their situation with God; listening to his desires for them and asking that he will intervene in their situations.

When I am faced with doubts, fears and temptations, I know God is within me to give me the power I need to respond in a way that reflects his character.

I would sum up my "spiritual experiences" as living a normal life in a close intimate relationship with the God of the universe.  I experience the loving arms of God the Father, the friendly guidance of Jesus the Son and the comforting purification of the Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps

Allah facilitates guidance for souls that are worthy of it. That is why in many instances He places worthy souls in Muslim families, with Muslim parents, in a Muslim society, etc. Don't forget that a large number of people who convert to Islam sadly end up leaving the Faith after a short period or eventually. Did they convert to Islam because they were convinced it was the Truth, or because they were looking for validation?

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, BritMuslimah said:

For me I came to Islam and eventually to Shia Islam by my own choice. 

I was raised nominally Christian, and whilst religion wasn't an active part of my life, I believed in Allah strongly (alhamdulillah!). I eventually became an active and strong believer. Then, for reasons which are numerous and complicated, I ended up falling away from Christianity. So I began to wonder if I'd chosen Christianity simply for familiarity, and whether there was truth out there that I needed to find. It was around this time I discovered Islam and began to read the Qur'an. Eventually I converted to Sunni Islam. 

Eventually, after reading a LOT of anti-Shia propaganda, I got curious and began to read actual Shia material. I quickly realised that far from being a deviant, anti-Islamic sect, Shia Islam actually made far more sense to me than Sunni Islam. So I then became a Shia Muslim. 

For me my religion was a gradual process and one which if I'm truthful I wouldn't change. Every bit of it added to my connection to Allah. 

MashaAllah sister welcome to Islam and the ShiaChat forums! :sign_welcome:

Your journey is very inspirational for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 8/28/2020 at 1:18 AM, BritMuslimah said:

For me my religion was a gradual process and one which if I'm truthful I wouldn't change. Every bit of it added to my connection to Allah. 

Thank you for sharing your story.  I love your comment "Connection to Allah".  I wonder if you could talk a abit about what that means to you in your every day life.

I would use the word relationship with Allah but maybe in your perspective connection and relationship are the same.

• Veteran Member

I would have been an agnostic barbarian on the inside and inherited nothing but otherwise meaningless rituals of listening to speakers, praying jummah with my father or observing religious events, all but soullessly. Just like my children right now only know the arabic of the salaat and not the meaning of what they say. I could have remained at that level easily. Since early in life I did a lot of thinking. The first answer ever to all the atheist thought reaching my juvenile brain was an intuition, when I thought "is there really a Creator?" the answer very shortly appeared on the canvas of my mind "Who created the perpetually constant laws of science you study in school? Why heat always flows from hot to cold? How can it be that all such overwhelming reality I observe all around can come into existence on its own?". Thankfully that took care of the whispers. I have come a long way studying and researching so many things but still feel ignorant. Like a child sitting at the beach playing with sea shells but oblivious of things inside the ocean. Disbelief and oblivious stories can not satiate any mind except the ones wanting to be deceived and believe in those fairy tales, otherwise the proof is all around us and if we are honest then from the most Merciful comes the intuition that gives clarity. If we are dishonest then it does not come.

I think it all rests with the human being's choice. Some of us choose the clothes we like, we choose the food we eat, the life style we adopt and even the belief which fits our likes. Some of us want just the truth and tailor ourselves accordingly.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, The Green Knight said:

I would have been an agnostic barbarian on the inside and inherited nothing but otherwise meaningless rituals of listening to speakers, praying jummah with my father or observing religious events, all but soullessly. Just like my children right now only know the arabic of the salaat and not the meaning of what they say. I could have remained at that level easily. Since early in life I did a lot of thinking. The first answer ever to all the atheist thought reaching my juvenile brain was an intuition, when I thought "is there really a Creator?" the answer very shortly appeared on the canvas of my mind "Who created the perpetually constant laws of science you study in school? Why heat always flows from hot to cold? How can it be that all such overwhelming reality I observe all around can come into existence on its own?". Thankfully that took care of the whispers. I have come a long way studying and researching so many things but still feel ignorant. Like a child sitting at the beach playing with sea shells but oblivious of things inside the ocean. Disbelief and oblivious stories can not satiate any mind except the ones wanting to be deceived and believe in those fairy tales, otherwise the proof is all around us and if we are honest then from the most Merciful comes the intuition that gives clarity. If we are dishonest then it does not come.

I think it all rests with the human being's choice. Some of us choose the clothes we like, we choose the food we eat, the life style we adopt and even the belief which fits our likes. Some of us want just the truth and tailor ourselves accordingly.

MashaAllah Brother, your journey is similar to mine, except I’m still in my premature stages.

What you said reminded me of this from Imam Zayn al Abidin:

My God! Tongues are incapable of access to Your praise to suit Your Magnificence.
And intellects are unable to grasp the essence of Your Beauty.
Eyes are blinded by the nearness of Your radiant glories.
You have not provided to Your creatures any way of cognizance of Your Self except incapacity to know You.
My God! Place us among your lovers whose warmth of love has seized all their hearts.
The curtains have been removed from their eyes and the darkness of doubt expelled from their convictions and conscience.
And the obsession of suspicion has been negated from their hearts and from their secret thoughts. And their breast broadened by the truth of Your Cognizance.
Their heroism has heightened through antecedent bliss in abstinence (asceticism).
Their drinking is sweet from the springs of benevolence.
Their secret thoughts are pleasant in the sittings of intimacy.
Their assembling is secure in the places of fear.
Their souls are serene and satisfied for returning to the Lord of lords.
Their eyes have brightened by beholding* (with heart) their Beloved One (God).
My God! How delicious for the hearts are the thoughts which inspire Your remembrance!
How sweet is the way towards You through utopian roads of the unseen (worlds)!
How delightful is the relish of Your love.
How pleasant the drink of Your nearness!
So give us refuge from Your expulsion and Your Banishment.
and place us among the choicest of those , (who have Your Cognizance) and Your most righteous servants, Your most truthful followers and Your most sincere worshippers.

Aameen :)

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Advanced Member

we are born muslims, we are all born after we have already witnessed to Gods oneness and him being wali, the last prophet(SAWS) being the seal of the prophets and a wali, and as well the wilayat of Imam Ali(عليه السلام). however we are born on earth as a test for our sincerity to this truth. those who only say it on their tongues yet believe otherwise in their hearts vs. those who say it and believe it in their hearts. God wants to bring out those in hiding into the open. the only one who is Hidden is Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). that is why shaytans story is so relevant and the first thing you read and learn in the Quran

Edited by Ralvi
  • Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Ralvi said:

we are all born after we have already witnessed to Gods oneness and him being wali, the last prophet(SAWS) being the seal of the prophets and a wali, and as well the wilayat of Imam Ali(عليه السلام)

I have heard of it in the Quran that Allah says “am I not your lord” but did he tell us about the prophet and imam Ali as well?

Also, what was the point of wiping our memories? 

On 9/22/2020 at 2:10 AM, Ralvi said:

we are born muslims

Technically this is not true. We are born upon the fitrah, meaning a natural disposition to believe in and worship Allah alone. That doesn’t mean we are born Muslim, because Muslim has a broader meaning than simply one who has a disposition to believe in God.

This silly phenomenon of describing converts to Islam as “reverts” is based on this common misunderstanding.

• Advanced Member
On 9/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, The Green Knight said:

I have come a long way studying and researching so many things but still feel ignorant. Like a child sitting at the beach playing with sea shells but oblivious of things inside the ocean.

I love these pictures you paint!  Yes belief in God and following his truth and his straight path is infinite - like the sea compared to the shells on the beach.  I rejoice in knowing a God who is in some ways is unknowable.  The more I seek to learn about him and engage with him the more I realise there is to know and the more I realise I need to worship and stand in awe in his presence.

Isn't it amazing that he has chosen to reveal himself and open a door that we may find him and journey with him each step of our lives!

On 9/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, The Green Knight said:

Some of us want just the truth and tailor ourselves accordingly.

I think your other comment about what we chose is so relevant to the title of this thread.  Did you find your religion?  When we discover truth whatever our background or family ties are we must be prepared to give them up to follow.  If we don't we are denying that we have found the truth and the right way.  Our lives must reflect the truth we have found.

Jesus the Messiah told a story about finding God's Kingdom Matthew chapter 13:44

The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.

Is the religion - faith - we have found worthy of giving up everything for?

Jesus goes on to tell another story which in some ways is similar and in some ways opposite

45 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant on the lookout for choice pearls. 46 When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!

This shows that God too is on the look out - searching for people to include in his kingdom.  When he finds someone with an open searching heart he gives up everything to bring that person from darkness to light.

• Advanced Member
On 9/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, Cherub786 said:

We are born upon the fitrah, meaning a natural disposition to believe in and worship Allah alone.

Hi there Cherub

Thanks for your comment and explanation.  This natural disposition in all people seems to be something that the secular 21st century modernists are speaking against yet at the same time they are looking for something to fill that God hole.  So often it seems to be 'science' or 'individualism' but it doesn't satisfy and produces nasty consequences.

May God lead us to an encounter with him they we cannot deny.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Did you find your religion?

I am still finding it, slowly but steadily. There is always something new to learn and plenty of things in the self to improve.