Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What does it mean that "God is in me"?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Hypothetically, if our bones suddenly became metal, then we'd all be cyborgs, but we would not be "cybernetic organisms" because we'd still be 'me' -ourselves.

You would be what you are right now.  At every moment you are not the same as you were the in prior moment.    

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

At every moment you are not the same as you were the in prior moment.   

This would be 'true' only if you equate the body with your  what-makes-myself 'me.'

Ref: We get a new body every seven years.

• Advanced Member
22 hours ago, Cool said:

So how it happens that nafs leaves this material body at the time of death & during our sleep?

Surely you cannot say the knower was absent during sleep but the world disappear. The experience of things and thoughts was not there, that is all. Continuity of life disrupted, memory creates the illusion of continuity. Sleep is merely a lapse in memory. Life goes on.

I do not know anything about death. But surely "i am" not going to die. "I am" going to face the consequences of what my Nafs earn in this lifetime if it becomes nafs e mutmainnah "i am"will merge into nothingness otherwise "i am" continue to exist in hell.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hasanhh said:

This would be 'true' only if you equate the body with your  what-makes-myself 'me.'

Ref: We get a new body every seven years.

No,  not just the body, everything you think is yourself, Including your “soul” it is constantly in influx.  It is constantly transforming.  Think of your thoughts, your feelings, your sensations, and how frequently they change.  Tell me one thing about your nafs (your soul) that doesn’t change.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member
On 8/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, Greenthumb said:

How can you qualify the question using the "non-spiritual sense?" Isn't God by nature and definition spiritual? 

God is greater than can be conceived

https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-1-sermons/sermon-186-he-who-assigns-him-different-conditions-does-not-believe

• Advanced Member

On 8/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, eThErEaL said:

The idea of the body and the soul being two separate entities is a dualistic idea that crept into Christianity from Gnostic Dualism.  This is where the notions of the body being evil, or the body needing to be deprived (came about).  

@Mohammad313Ali

My reading of the Genesis account of creation and I think the Qur'anic account too is that God made our bodies and then 'breathed' into them to make them live

• Genesis chapter 2 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
  • Qur'an Sura Saad 38:71  [So mention] when your Lord said to the angels, "Indeed, I am going to create a human being from clay.  72  So when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My [created] soul, then fall down to him in prostration."

It would seem that in order for human beings to live we need to have something from God breathed into us.  I see this as the body being in some way a container for the spirit/soul.  When we die our bodies rot and go back to dust but the spirit/soul bit lives on.

I don't see this as necessaraly dualistic nor gnostic and it definatly doesn't mean that the body is bad/depraved and the soul/spirit needs to be rescuded from it.  God made the body and he made it good.  Our bodies are something to rejoice about and enjoy .  As a Follower of Jesus, I see the fact that Jesus the Messiah, as God himself, came to live in a human body shows that the body is in no way deprived it is something worthy of being the dwelling place of God.  In fact, getting back to the topic of the post, the New Testament talks about Followers of Jesus as being the Temple of God.  The dwelling place of God.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

• Advanced Member
On 8/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, Mohammad313Ali said:

Mashallah brothers, thank you for educating me on this topic, as I am quite new to it. I hope to inshallah read more about the nafs and soul in an attempt to pose better questions and reach inshallah a sound conclusion. 

@eThErEaL are there any books you recommend on this topic brother?

Salam,

If you want an overview in Islamic Cosmological and Anthropological Doctrines I recommend reading anything you can find by:

William C. Chittick,

Sachiko Murata 

Seyyed Hossein Nasr

Toshihiko Izutsu

I would also recommend:  Wolfgang Smith (But this is not Islamic per se, more like Traditional Christianity), but definitely something you will most definitely be able to relate to and something you will find very helpful. 

There are probably more, but these names stick out the most!

They are essential reading material if you want to get started in having a very general overview of such subjects.