Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

URGENT About shabis/depictions

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Umm.. so we know trimming moustache is Sunnah but when we draw Shabis/depictions of Imams (ASWS) the moustache is seen so is this not in accurate ? Also I even seen a shabi of Holy Prophet (Maaz Allah, ik thats not even allowed only imams and ahlulbay men no holy women or the holy prophet can be depicited with face) anf the moustache was present this confounds me care to explain (thougroly) i WAS of opinion that shabi is okay after realising this im haviing 2nd thoughts

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, A_KazmiSayyid313 said:

Umm.. so we know trimming moustache is Sunnah but when we draw Shabis/depictions of Imams (ASWS) the moustache is seen so is this not in accurate ? Also I even seen a shabi of Holy Prophet (Maaz Allah, ik thats not even allowed only imams and ahlulbayt men no holy women or the holy prophet can be depicited with face) and the moustache was present this confounds me care to explain (thougroly) i WAS of opinion that shabi is okay after realising this im haviing 2nd thoughts

pls answer in context not "not paintings no" pls reply seriously with justification to this pr just admit its innacurate also the hair is depicted black or tinge green but we kniw it was a very light brown irl so again Imams are depicted with green turban but we know 5th-11th imam wore Black because if Karbala so yh again please gimme a reason for this and the short hair imams had zulfai (as im aware)

• Advanced Member

define what you mean by trimming the moustache

certainly, at the very least the tip of the moustache should be trimmed such that the hairs do not come down on the lips. As long as that is done, it's fine.

If you mean the entire moustache should be shaved, i don't know about that.

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, dragonxx said:

define what you mean by trimming the moustache

certainly, at the very least the tip of the moustache should be trimmed such that the hairs do not come down on the lips. As long as that is done, it's fine.

If you mean the entire moustache should be shaved, i don't know about that.

thank you but what about hair color/ beard color/ turban color after Karbala look at the beard depicted in my profile pic color is righ?t look close??

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, A_KazmiSayyid313 said:

thank you but what about hair color/ beard color/ turban color after Karbala look at the beard depicted in my profile pic color is righ?t look close??

i haven't seen any quotes but i often see descendants of the Prophet wearing green scarves and saying that this is the colour Ahlulbayt used to wear over their heads. You will have to find hadiths on the descriptions of their appearance in order to confirm the looks you have in mind if you are that curious.

But I assure you, nothing will do their appearance justice for surely they are of magnanimous appearance.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2020 at 8:14 AM, A_KazmiSayyid313 said:

Umm.. so we know trimming moustache is Sunnah but when we draw Shabis/depictions of Imams (ASWS) the moustache is seen so is this not in accurate ? Also I even seen a shabi of Holy Prophet (Maaz Allah, ik thats not even allowed only imams and ahlulbay men no holy women or the holy prophet can be depicited with face) anf the moustache was present this confounds me care to explain (thougroly) i WAS of opinion that shabi is okay after realising this im haviing 2nd thoughts

These are often Persianized depictions. Some of the middle to later Imams were even of the darker complexion, but they are never portrayed as such due to some intrinsic insecurity that Imams have to be of fair complexion for holiness. That is another topic in itself.

As for the beard/mustache part, I believe this fell victim to the Arab and Persian cultural clash as well. If you look at traditions at the appearance of the Holy Prophet, they state he had a beard as long as his fist (4-5 inch beard from the chin) and trimmed his mustache. Most of the depictions of the Imams depict them having rather short beards and full mustaches. The beard was part of the Arab culture and the mustache was part of the Persian culture. You can put two and two together.

Edited by 786:)
added second paragraph
  • Advanced Member
21 hours ago, dragonxx said:

i haven't seen any quotes but i often see descendants of the Prophet wearing green scarves and saying that this is the colour Ahlulbayt used to wear over their heads. You will have to find hadiths on the descriptions of their appearance in order to confirm the looks you have in mind if you are that curious.

But I assure you, nothing will do their appearance justice for surely they are of magnanimous appearance.

really? I'm a descendent of the Holy Prophet (SAWAWS) and I was never told I had to wear a green scarf? (Kaazmi btw) :curious: 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, A_KazmiSayyid313 said:

really? I'm a descendent of the Holy Prophet (SAWAWS) and I was never told I had to wear a green scarf? (Kaazmi btw) :curious: 

i never said they had to. I simply said a lot of them (from the small fraction i have seen) did in gatherings.

• Advanced Member

SOOoooo i remembered this, according to obligatory preacaution shaving the beard is haram and we also know Hazrat Ali Akbar (ASWS) was 27 in karbala (sunnis say 18 but thats incorect) now by 27 a beard is fully grown so someone explain the accuracy of this...

there is no beard. either i stop doing taqleed at all change my marja and have second thoughts about Khamenei or Someone justify the no beard???

image.jpeg.11f4139d97b9124877dbef25e4df0728.jpeg 

Or this is inaccurate ? which one SORRYY if the image isnt there go to google type in Hazrat Ali Akbar face and youll find there is no berad explain???

• Veteran Member

Brother... these are paintings. These are artistic interpretation by an artist who is neither a marji’ or a scholar. Artists paint from their imagination or with reference, neither are the actual Imams. It does not reflect how the Imams really looked.

You can’t stop doing taqleed because of a painting. Sayyid Khamenei is not the person who painted this, why are you blaming him?

What’s your question exactly? Is your question “Why doesn’t the painting look like the hadith?”? 

Because the painter was not aware of the ahadith and only painted based on what HE THOUGHT. Not was they ACTUALLY looked like.

• Advanced Member
On 8/23/2020 at 3:30 AM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Brother... these are paintings. These are artistic interpretation by an artist who is neither a marji’ or a scholar. Artists paint from their imagination or with reference, neither are the actual Imams. It does not reflect how the Imams really looked.

You can’t stop doing taqleed because of a painting. Sayyid Khamenei is not the person who painted this, why are you blaming him?

What’s your question exactly? Is your question “Why doesn’t the painting look like the hadith?”? 

Because the painter was not aware of the ahadith and only painted based on what HE THOUGHT. Not was they ACTUALLY looked like.

my question is how to detect if authentic painting or not plus why is the depitction on my profile for example Imam Hussein (ASWS) is depicted as having a very light tinge of green in the corner of the beard? explain pls i wanna know

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, A_KazmiSayyid313 said:

my question is how to detect if authentic painting or not plus why is the depitction on my profile for example Imam Hussein (ASWS) is depicted as having a very light tinge of green in the corner of the beard? explain pls i wanna know

There are no authentic paintings.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

There are no authentic paintings.

first of there are. secondly answer my 2 questions thirdly if you cant/don't wanna please dont reply thank you

• Moderators
On 8/22/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Yes, to be certain. 

@everyone Cutting or trimming the mustache does not mean shaving it off. It means keeping it short so it doesn't go inside your mouth. 

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235044963-cutting-mustache-and-keeping-beard/