In the Name of God بسم الله

Skullcaps

Rate this topic

Why do the vast majority of Shi'ah males and Arabs in general not cover their head with a skullcap (kufi)? Majority of Shi'ah males and Arab men in general pray with their head uncovered. What is the reason for this? There was a time when virtually all Muslim men covered their head with a skullcap, especially at the mosque, but also in public. Why has this tradition that is so important for Muslims to visibly identify themselves vanished?

It’s not wajib and last time I checked it’s not Sunnah.  It’s just a mere Middle eastern tradition ( the style differes from one country to another in the Middle East), if you look at kids book Jewish stories you will see in the pictures the men would have an Arabian style dress code even in the Movie “passion of Christ”. 

2 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

It’s not wajib and last time I checked it’s not Sunnah.  It’s just a mere Middle eastern tradition ( the style differes from one country to another in the Middle East), if you look at kids book Jewish stories you will see in the pictures the men would have an Arabian style dress code even in the Movie “passion of Christ”. 

I agree it is not wajib, but covering the head is Sunnah, because the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم constantly covered his head. Going bareheaded is makruh in the Hanafi madhhab for this reason, especially while praying, reading the Quran, or any kind of worship.

There was a time when almost universally Muslim men covered their head with a skullcap (usually the white one). The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم also sometimes would wear a white skullcap known as a kummah in Arabic. Ancient Israelite Prophets would also cover their head.

In my observation, the reason most Muslim men no longer wear skullcaps is because they are ashamed to visibly identify as Muslims in public.

19 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

because the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم constantly covered his head

Not an justification bro, If the prophet wore gucci at that time, would it be Sunnah to were Gucci in my time ? No.  It has no purpose for the human. Having long hair once did back then (hence why it was Sunnah) now it doesn’t since Medicine has advanced so much. 

Styles differ from generation to generation from country to country, but their are sets of laws regarding modesty for men when grooming. 

Ancient Israelite Prophets would also cover their head.

Like i said it was middle eastern tradition so it is reasonable to see prophets to have that kind of style, other prophets sent to other countries (not mentioned in the Quran) didn’t have that kind of traditional dress code. Islam came for the whole of mankind, that means no one is expected to dress like Bedouin rather there are sets of laws that are to be observed when grooming. In short I person can dress according to their own culture if they wanted to but with the condition that it doesn’t violate the laws that are to be observed. 

In my observation, the reason most Muslim men no longer wear skullcaps is because they are ashamed to visibly identify as Muslims in public.

You are mistaken from my friend.  

7 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

Not an justification bro, If the prophet wore gucci at that time, would it be Sunnah to were Gucci in my time ? No.  It has no purpose for the human. Having long hair once did back then (hence why it was Sunnah) now it doesn’t since Medicine has advanced so much. 
Styles differ from generation to generation from country to country, but their are sets of laws regarding modesty for men when grooming. 

Like i said it was middle eastern tradition so it is reasonable to see prophets to have that kind of style, other prophets sent to other countries (not mentioned in the Quran) didn’t have that kind of traditional dress code. Islam came for the whole of mankind, that means no one is expected to dress like Bedouin rather there are sets of laws that are to be observed when grooming. In short I person can dress according to their own culture if they wanted to but with the condition that it doesn’t violate the laws that are to be observed. 

You are mistaken from my friend.  

What does medicine have to do with long or short hair? We keep a certain length of hair not for medical reason but for style, appearance or because we want to imitate someone. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم kept long hair down to his shoulders, but also a bit shorter down to ear lobes. If a Muslim wants to copy the Sunnah of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم with regard to hairstyle, it is Mustahhab and he will be rewarded for the intention and the act.

Likewise, if someone wants to dress like the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and cover his head, it is mustahhab and he will be rewarded for following the Sunnah. This is because the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم in general terms encouraged us to follow his Sunnah, even if he didn't specifically mention covering the head.

However, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did encourage us to wear white clothes, so at least you should not deny that Sunnah by saying it is merely Middle Eastern custom. If it is simply Middle Eastern custom to wear white, then why did the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم encourage all Muslims to wear white?

Similarly, the books of Hadith report which kind of clothes the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم preferred, he preferred the Qamis (long frock or tunic like garment that reached below the knees or to the shins). He also preferred the Hibarah, a kind of Yemeni shawl or cloak. Therefore, these articles of clothing are not simply Middle Eastern culture or custom, they are now part of our Religion, and all Muslim men are encouraged to wear them, whether they live in Alaska or Australia makes no difference.

And from another angle, Muslims should dress in such a way that they can visibly be identified as Muslims. I personally visibly dress like a Muslim, by wearing a skullcap and a qamis, and whenever I'm in public, other Muslims give me Salam because they are certain I'm a Muslim. But since most other Muslims dress like Americans/Europeans with jeans, shorts, t-shirt, etc., I cannot tell if they are Muslim, which is a shame.

18 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم kept long hair down to his shoulders, but also a bit shorter down to ear lobes. If a Muslim wants to copy the Sunnah of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم with regard to hairstyle, it is Mustahhab and he will be rewarded for the intention and the act.

Again my argument is the same, back then long hair would protect a person from throat infection hence why it was Sunnah. 

However, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did encourage us to wear white clothes, so at least you should not deny that Sunnah by saying it is merely Middle Eastern custom.

He encouraged us to dress nicely. Not following an Arabian tradition.  That’s According to your Sunnah not mine. We get our Sunnah from two completely different worlds that claim to be from the prophet (saws) 

Just remember. The Sahih Muslim, book 31, hadith 5920. It’s through them the Sunnah is acquired. 

5 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

Again my argument is the same, back then long hair would protect a person from throat infection hence why it was Sunnah. 

You seriously expect me to believe that 15 centuries ago people kept long hair to prevent throat infection? Give me a break, man.

You seriously expect me to believe that 15 centuries ago people kept long hair to prevent throat infection? Give me a break, man.

Yes it was that purpose. That infection would lead to serious sickness which would lead death. Hence why it was mustahab. 

If that sounds stupid then so do your imams regarding Arabian culture, it has nothing to do with Islam.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

How do you know the intention of most men is because they are ashamed? I have a cap i don’t wear it at during work cause it’s all dusty and sometimes require a hard hat but sometimes during salat. Barely go out and if I do and it’s sunny I just wear my Nike or Gucci hat you know to block the sun? Honestly I’d love to wear the skull cap and I really should get into it because I like it. 

bot sure about your country but in mine some people choose to wear it and some people don’t. As mentioned before I deal with 80% sunnis. At there mosque or Islamic centres only a little bit of people wear it but yes compared to the amount of Shia people that do is less I agree with that. That’s based on where I live and surrounding suburbs 

Now the photos I’ve posted at a Sunni mosque one of them is during a major day such as eid hence why people wear it more often. Now can you notice majority arnt wearing a skullcap and just either beanies or hoodies or just hair showing? 

3EAB74E6-CC80-4F8F-B505-CC90AC4B09DD.jpeg

B9F8041C-D400-4F2B-8ECA-9F13B938850F.jpeg

Edited by Ali2196

• Advanced Member

I've been thinking about wearing it lately, I even read this thread before yours coincidentally

Not so long ago everyone wore a hat, to not wear one was improper. People also always wore suits and placed more importance on looking presentable and professional

If you skip to about halfway through, you can even see the women wearing a hijab!

Edited by guest 2025

• Advanced Member

As per Shia fiqh, the only Mustahab head coverings are 1. Covering your head while on the toilet, 2. A turban with its final fold passed under the chin

Edit:

Ruling 75. When one is emptying his bowels and/or bladder, it is recommended for him to sit in a place where no one sees him; and when entering the lavatory, to enter with the left foot first; and when exiting, to exit with the right foot first. Furthermore, when one is emptying his bowels and/or bladder, it is recommended for him to cover his head and to place the weight of his body onto his left leg.

Ruling 851. The jurists (fuqahāʾ) – may Allah sanctify their souls – have known some things to be recommended for the clothing of someone performing prayers. These include: wearing a turban (ʿammāmah) with its final fold passing under the chin (taḥt al-ḥanak), wearing a cloak that rests on the shoulders (ʿabā), wearing white, wearing clothing that is very clean, applying perfume, and wearing an agate (ʿaqīq) ring.

As our knowledgeable brother @Ibn al-Hussain explains:

There is a difference between the istihbab (recommendation/mustahabb) of wearing a turban and istihbab of "covering the head". These are two separate things. If there was istihbab to cover the head, then it would be recommended to do so with anything. However, such an istihbab does not exist in Islamic law (except in one case I remember, which is when one enters the toilet).

As for the recommendation of wearing the turban, then that is an absolute recommendation (meaning at all times and places, including in Salat). However, there is a difference of opinion amongst the jurists whether there is a specific and extra recommendation to wear the turban during Salat - the majority opinion of the jurists is no, there is no specific istihbab of wearing the turban in Salat. Although all jurists agree that there is specific istihbab for wearing the 'aba in Salat.

History of Arab dress by our knowledgeable brother @Ibn Al-Ja'abi:

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

19 hours ago, Ali2196 said:

How do you know the intention of most men is because they are ashamed?

What other explanation is there for why they don't?

Your explanation is personal to you, it is by no means the same reason why hundreds of millions of other Muslims likewise do not consistently cover their head with a skullcap

Now the photos I’ve posted at a Sunni mosque one of them is during a major day such as eid hence why people wear it more often. Now can you notice majority arnt wearing a skullcap and just either beanies or hoodies or just hair showing? 

Yes, sadly even majority of Sunnis, especially Arabs and Africans, do not cover their head, including when they are in the Mosque or praying. This is a very bad trend and the Sunnah of head covering should be revived. Head covering is a sign of respect to Heaven as well as a means of visibly identifying as a Muslim. You could say it is our equivalent of the Christian crucifix, or the Hindu bindi (forehead dot).

From my observation, the regions where Muslim male head covering is most prevalent is in Afghanistan and the Indian subcontinent (though it is declining there too due to Westernization of lifestyle and values). Perhaps one of the reasons for that is the Muslims of Indian subcontinent lived in a mixed society with a Hindu majority. Therefore, there was a greater need for Muslims to distinguish themselves and visibly identify themselves, unlike in the Middle East where practically everyone is a Muslim.

This is also why the skullcap should especially be revived in the West where we Muslims are a minority and there is a pressing need for us to distinguish ourselves visibly from the general population.

• Advanced Member
On 8/15/2020 at 11:59 PM, Cherub786 said:

What other explanation is there for why they don't?

Your explanation is personal to you, it is by no means the same reason why hundreds of millions of other Muslims likewise do not consistently cover their head with a skullcap

To be honest I’m from Muslim majority suburbs in Australia. No ones scared everyone practices their religion safely and Comfortably. No one is scared to wear one including myself it’s more of a sunnah that needs to be revived as you said. I just never think to wear it or bothered putting it on. Not scared but just never crosses my Mind and would only remember to put it on sometimes during salat 

6 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

As per Shia fiqh, the only Mustahab head coverings are 1. Covering your head while on the toilet, 2. A turban with its final fold passed under the chin

I would like to know why covering the head is mustahhab while going to the toilet specifically. In our madhhab, it is known that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم covered his head most of the time (with obvious exceptions of sleeping and bathing). Where is the rationale for this ruling?

Why is only a turban mustahhab and not other forms of headgear that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wore, like a skullcap or hat?

According to our Hadith, it is narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wore a turban with the two ends hanging down the back of his shoulders

Imam Jalal ud-Din as-Suyuti رحمه الله has a work entitled al-Ahadith al-Hisan fi Fadl al-Taylasan, where he proves the virtue of covering the head with a Taylasan, a kind of shawl.

• Advanced Member
Just now, Cherub786 said:

I would like to know why covering the head is mustahhab while going to the toilet specifically. In our madhhab, it is known that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم covered his head most of the time (with obvious exceptions of sleeping and bathing). Where is the rationale for this ruling?

Why is only a turban mustahhab and not other forms of headgear that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wore, like a skullcap or hat?

According to our Hadith, it is narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wore a turban with the two ends hanging down the back of his shoulders

Imam Jalal ud-Din as-Suyuti رحمه الله has a work entitled al-Ahadith al-Hisan fi Fadl al-Taylasan, where he proves the virtue of covering the head with a Taylasan, a kind of shawl.

I was gonna say the same thing why the toilet! 
what benefit does it bring to wear one just in the toilet? 

26 minutes ago, Ali2196 said:

was gonna say the same thing why the toilet! 
what benefit does it bring to wear one just in the toilet? 

And he has the audacity to imply the Sunnah for having longer hair back then is stupid (I.e the real reason why it was Sunnah).  These wahabies remind me a lot about Dave and tdawg make me laugh. 

• Advanced Member

Obsession with “sunnah” while after 1400 years, four madahib can’t even agree on how the Prophet prayed. Wearing head covering is not wajib for men in Jafari fiqh.  Besides, we as a muqalids follow individual marja’ in regard to fiqh issues. 

• Advanced Member
On 8/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, THREE1THREE said:

To be abrogate like the longer hair Sunnah Cos it has no purpose. 

Never said it had a purpose. If the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) like it or did it why not follow the best of men and do the same? 

all I’m asking was what is the purpose of only wearing it when going toilet? So I can do my daily things and then go home wear a cap go toilet when I’m done take it off? I don’t understand 

50 minutes ago, Ali2196 said:

. If the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) like it

Just coz the prophet liked something that does not mean I have to do it or like it.

sunnah serves a purpose weather it’s wajib or recommended. 

Perhaps it was Sunnah back then to wear it but now time has changed, all the imams and prophet encouraged to dress nicely, this Sunnah is for all times not just for once upon a time. The laws surrounding modesty is our measuring rod for what is allowed and not Allowed for all generations. So while we are encouraged to look nice we are also to look nice in a modest way. 

Edited by THREE1THREE

• Veteran Member

@Cherub786

There is a Sunni hadith that the Prophet (s) covered his head and wore his slippers when relieving himself, but the chains to those narrations are weak, but you have authentic chains to members of the salaf like Abu Bakr who encouraged it, so some say it is recommended.

https://islamqa.info/ar/answers/198463/هل-من-السنة-تغطية-الراس-عند-دخول-الخلاء

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

Just coz the prophet liked something that does not mean I have to like do it or like it.

sunnah serves a purpose weather it’s wajib or recommended. 

Perhaps it was Sunnah back then to wear it but now time has changed, all the imams and prophet encouraged to dress nicely, this Sunnah is for all times not just for once upon a time. The laws surrounding modesty is out measuring rod for what is allowed and not Allowed for all generations. So while we are encouraged to look nice we are also to look nice in a modest way. 

No one is telling you to like it or not. Also no one if telling you it’s wajib. I said if he did it then why not follow best of men. Doesn’t make you a kafir if you choose to wear one or not. There is a Hadith that goes along the lines about dressing according the time your living in obviously modestly. Can’t remember where I heard or seen it but I’ll try find the source 

Edited by Ali2196

1 minute ago, Ali2196 said:

There is a Hadith that goes along the lines about dressing according the time your living in obviously modestly. 

If you can, can kindly bring it froth... if it’s authentic then this hadith abrogated the Hadith that I am speaking against (that’s if it’s sahih itself, which is not btw since I have proved through a logical point of view using the intention of the message of Islam as a basis for my argument (I.e being sent for all counties and generations) 

• Advanced Member
On 8/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, THREE1THREE said:

If you can, can kindly bring it froth... if it’s authentic then this hadith abrogated the Hadith that I am speaking against (that’s if it’s sahih itself, which is not btw since I have proved through a logical point of view using the intention of the message of Islam as a basis for my argument (I.e being sent for all counties and generations) 

https://en.shafaqna.com/49190/are-there-any-guidelines-in-the-islamic-sources-about-fashion-and-clothing/

number 4. That’s the same Hadith I heard from somewhere can’t remember but that’s it’s. Either way I still would wear a thobe out in public as it’s comfortable especially during summer as it’s light and it’s according to Islamic dress codes.