Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Marijuana in Shia Islam

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I live in an area where weed is normal and have grown around it my whole life. Alhamdulilah I’ve never smoked, not just because of iman reasons but I’ve seen what it does to people. I’m not talking about health reasons necessarily but the addiction, waste of money and time etc.

Its not worth it.

• Unregistered

It's funny how people condemn marijuana, yet the very same people have no issues with prescription drugs full of stimulants that affect certain parts of the brain, and all other types of drugs. As long as you have the prescription for it.........

Side note: I am not saying marijuana is halal.

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, AkhiraisReal said:

It's funny how people condemn marijuana, yet the very same people have no issues with prescription drugs full of stimulants that affect certain parts of the brain, and all other types of drugs. As long as you have the prescription for it.........

Salam brother. Like in the vid I linked it talks about marijuana being used for health reasons eg if someone suffers from fits etc. I have no problem with that. Likewise if necessary and not harmful I don’t have a problem with prescription drugs.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Anonymous71 said:

Is the growing and selling of marijuana for medicinal purposes haram?

Selling Marijuana and smoking it (to get high) is Absolutely Haram. Now if its for medical purposes than yes. For example, Gelatin can be Halal if used in medicine or transformed into another substance or if you don't know if its from Animals of Vegetables.

As for Marijuana, if you take it in medicine, than it must say when you take it and how much you take, and you must not take it whenever you want.

• Unregistered
2 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

Likewise if necessary and not harmful I don’t have a problem with prescription drugs.

There are very few situations were prescription drugs would really be necessary. In todays world if you get a small headache they give you  strong painkillers full of amphetamines. They are all harmful. It's just ignorance.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

Salam brother. Like in the vid I linked it talks about marijuana being used for health reasons eg if someone suffers from fits etc. I have no problem with that. Likewise if necessary and not harmful I don’t have a problem with prescription drugs.

It's haram to use marijuana unless it's a major life threatening emergency crisis moment just as eating pork in extremely deadly starvation is permissible . THC is an evil intoxicant . And Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) has said relaxants are haram . So we should avoid marijuana and not seek for benefits in intoxicants .

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Strong Foundation said:

It's haram to use marijuana unless it's a major life threatening emergency crisis moment just as eating pork in extremely deadly starvation is permissible . THC is an evil intoxicant . And Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) has said relaxants are haram . So we should avoid marijuana and not seek for benefits in intoxicants .

Salam brother. I know of someone who has his back broken badly and is unable to get surgery as it is small but significant area of his spine and would be very costly, thus he used to take marijuana as medicine. Likewise there are children who suffer from fits, epilepsy etc who have to take it (not in its traditional form). You can use marijuana medically without getting high, e.g having extractions of CBD.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:
5 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

There are very few situations were prescription drugs would really be necessary. In todays world if you get a small headache they give you  strong painkillers full of amphetamines. They are all harmful. It's just ignorance.

Salam brother. I mean I believe excessive and unnecessary use of prescriptions are bad. However, there were times in which I was prescribed and needed a course of antibiotics, in those cases I wouldn’t state it as being  obsolete.

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, Mariam17 said:

Salam brother. I know of someone who has his back broken badly and is unable to get surgery as it is small but significant area of his spine and would be very costly, thus he used to take marijuana as medicine. Likewise there are children who suffer from fits, epilepsy etc who have to take it (not in its traditional form). You can use marijuana medically without getting high, e.g having extractions of CBD.

Walaykum Asalam I agree

• Haji 2003 changed the title to Marijuana in Shia Islam
  • Basic Members

Salam,

If its absolutely necessary as a cure . Only the exact amount to cure what the ailment is and to not exceed that amount. Also if there are no other options as a cure.

As treatment from my personal opinion , it is not permissible

May Allah increase the Righteous in knowledge

• Advanced Member
On 8/13/2020 at 1:43 AM, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

I'm surprised nobody has stated the obvious yet. Any intoxicant is Haram full-stop. Thus, marijuana is haram.

I thought alcohol was the only classified intoxicant as specified in the Qur’an. I don’t doubt weed to be harmful but don’t we have some scholars who said even opium could be considered makrooh” but not haram, taking for the Qur’an? Or am I mistaken?