Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Umar and the torah

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Al-Tirmidhi HadithHadith 194 Narrated by jabir Ibn Abdullah

Umar ibn al-Khattab brought to Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) a copy of the torah and said: Allah's Messenger, this is a copy of the Torah. He (Allah's Messenger) kept quite and he (Umar) began to read it. The (colour) of the face of Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) underwent a change, whereupon AbuBakr said: Would that your mother morn you, don't you see the face of Allah's Messenger? Umar saw the face of Allah Messenger (peace be upon him and said: I seek refuge with Allah from the wrath of Allah and the wrath of his Messenger. We are well pleased with Allah as Lord, with islam as religion, and with Muhammad as Prophet. Whereupon Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: By him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, even if Moses were to appear before you and you were to follow him, leaving me aside, you would certainly stray into error; for if (Moses) were alive (now), and he found my prophetical ministry, he would have definitely followed me.

Transmitted by Darimi.

Is this hadith authentic???

• Advanced Member

The came exact Hadith is in Mishkat al-Masabih by Muhammad ibn Abdullah Al Tabrizi,

Jabir told how ‘Umar b. al-Khattab brought God’s messenger a copy of the Torah saying, “Messenger of God, this is a copy of the Torah.” When he received no reply he began to read to the obvious displeasure of God’s messenger, so Abu Bakr said, “Confound you 1 do you not see how God’s messenger is looking?” So ‘Umar looked at God’s messenger’s face and said, “I seek refuge in God from the anger of God and His messenger. We are satisfied with God as Lord, with Islam as religion, and with Muhammad as Prophet.” Then God’s messenger said, “By Him in whose hand Muhammad’s soul is, were Moses to appear to you and you were to follow him and abandon me, you would error from the right way. Were he alive and came in touch with my prophetic mission he would follow me.”

Darimi transmitted it.

https://sunnah.com/mishkat/1/185

According to the Sunnis it is Weak