Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Please help me find pro-Militia arguments

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I need arguments for the need for militias and especially how they relate to the colonial struggle. I.e. I need to argue for the necessity of militias in the colonial struggle against a colonizer.

I am also looking for arguments specific to 2nd amendment, Hizbullah, Hamas, etc. I need some academic sources to use as a jumping point for each of these topics.

If any members are well-informed on the academic side of things, I would highly appreciate it if you linked me to relevant academic articles. I have University proxy access so I can bypass any paywalls.

Many thanks,
Wasalam

@Abu Hadi @Haji 2003 @Qa'im

• Development Team
9 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

am also looking for arguments specific to 2nd amendment, Hizbullah, Hamas, etc.

The Second Amendment as I understand it, is not a good comparison to Hezbollah or Hamas. They have their origins in two very different time periods, cultural and sociological mindsets. If anything, I would use the Second Amendment as a jumping point in discussing the mind set of a colonizer and how they used militias. If I wanted to stay relevant and improve continuity, I would stick with just discussing Hamas and Hezbollah in your essay. Best of luck to you.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

It sounds like you've chosen a stance without researching it and now you want people to find arguments that fit your position.

Normally one does their research first and it leads them to the stance that they find most consistent. 

Yeah, sort of. I have to write an OP-ED on Fanon & Cabral. So I have to advocate for something using their narrative of colonial struggle. It's essentially an opinion piece drawing from the knowledge/work of those authors. It's turning the 'abstract' into something more concrete. The scale of the issue can be anything, even local news.

If you have any suggestions for a better topic, please let me know.

Academic citations are not required, but I thought they could help me as a jumping off point.

However, I do need to ground my arguments in the texts that we read in-class.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, AStruggler said:

If this is for a uni class here in the West, I'd be careful about talking about topics that are too political or controversial...

Good luck though inshAllah.

Indeed. If you take it as an academic exercise you will probably be able to treat it in a more objective manner. If the topic is close to your heart then there's a risk of becoming subjective/emotional.

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

texts that we read in-class.

As some others commented above, BE  CAREFUL , because those self-righteous instructors of yours will shaft you if you do something politically incorrect, that doesn't share their views. AND it is not just one instructor because they hand together --just like criminals do as revealed in Quran.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mahdavist said:

Indeed. If you take it as an academic exercise you will probably be able to treat it in a more objective manner. If the topic is close to your heart then there's a risk of becoming subjective/emotional.

It's directly related to the course material. The topic is of political violence, revolution, marxism, national liberation, resistance, armed-struggle, and anti-colonialism. Frantz Fanon and Amilcar Cabral were marxist anti-colonial revolutionaries, freedom-fighters. So far, I was able to argue for militias in a colonial context with their readings (both authors were part of national liberation armed-struggles). The issue I'm having is with the real-world application in a seemingly post-colonial context, as it is an op-ed, and I would assume that this would be the main objection, so I would need to argue for the superiority of a militia over a state military in general (e.g. to argue a moral case for Hezbollah fighting against invaders rather than the Lebanese government). I would have to tie my rebuttal into power structure dynamics, considering the readings of Fanon and Cabral. Basically, my question is to say that Hezbollah for example, assuming that it is superior to the state military considering it is widely-accepted as such and elected by the people-- this must be due to a better structure inherent in militias and not simply chalked up to Lebanese government incompetence. In this instance, why are militias better at representing people's needs and fighting for the oppressed. Is it something about normal people banding up that is better than government forces? What is it.

I.e. A people's resistance is needed to overthrow a colonial structure/power, as grounded in the work of Fanon and Cabral. But what about post-colonialism, or even settler-colonialism? How do I extend such an argument? Should I say the power structures are the same. E.g. in Hezbollah's case, Israel is a potential colonizer? Still, why is the gov't not suited to handle it?

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
10 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I would use the Second Amendment as a jumping point in discussing the mind set of a colonizer and how they used militias

Indeed, this is what I was considering, though I decided to scrap it, since it was outside the scope of my essay. Since it is an op-ed, I wanted to use it as a way of convincing Western anti-Militia proponents. It's not related enough to include in my essay though, especially considering the word limit.

• Forum Administrators
11 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

I have to write an OP-ED on Fanon & Cabral. So I have to advocate for something using their narrative of colonial struggle.

This paper mentions Cabral & Fanon and its about Hiz:

Strindberg, A., & Wärn, M. (2005). Realities of Resistance: Hizballah, the Palestinian Rejectionists, and al-Qa'ida Compared. Journal of Palestine Studies, 34(3), 23-41. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

@AmirioTheMuzzy Salam brother. I’ll give you two recommendations that deal with or link to this subject and will give you a great understanding.

• “Orientalism” by Edward Said (I finished the book not to long ago and it’s great in giving a lil background as to why people eg Arabs created militias as a reaction to imperialism, domination and stereotypes. It’s also great in debunking myths about Islam and talks briefly about Shiasm, Lady Fatima (عليه السلام) which I was surprised coming from Edward Said).

• “Culture and imperialism” by Edward Said (... I know the same author but this book deals directly with your topic at hand. Although it analyses imperialism and literature, it examines the wider themes as to why Culture allowed imperialism and the talk of the West’s reaction to militias.) Btw I’m mid way through this book so it could talk more so of this point.

This vid links and it’s short, it shows the two opposing views in terms of militias and the imperialist West view in an interview with Ghassan Kanafani. Tell me what you think :) 

Edited by Mariam17
  • Advanced Member
11 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Yeah, sort of. I have to write an OP-ED on Fanon & Cabral. So I have to advocate for something using their narrative of colonial struggle. It's essentially an opinion piece drawing from the knowledge/work of those authors. It's turning the 'abstract' into something more concrete. The scale of the issue can be anything, even local news.

If you have any suggestions for a better topic, please let me know.

Academic citations are not required, but I thought they could help me as a jumping off point.

However, I do need to ground my arguments in the texts that we read in-class.

Taking a pro hezbollah stance in western countries is a bad idea, especially in Usa and Canada, one immam in Canada here was deported for supporting hezbollah if I remeber.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I mean they Hezbollah is considered a terrorist organisation in the U.K. so you can’t even say you like them let alone support them.

Edited by Mariam17
35 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Strindberg, A., & Wärn, M. (2005). Realities of Resistance: Hizballah, the Palestinian Rejectionists, and al-Qa'ida Compared. Journal of Palestine Studies, 34(3), 23-41. 

JazakAllah. This is exactly what I needed. Many thanks

Jazak Allahu Khayran for all the suggestions!

For those who are concerned, please don't worry. I am not publishing a paper or anything of the sort, this is simply homework. I am only using Hezb as an example to serve the authors' point. Fanon was literally part of the FLN (el-Moudjahid) in Algeria.

10 minutes ago, HusseinAbbas said:

Taking a pro hezbollah stance in western countries is a bad idea, especially in Usa and Canada, one immam in Canada here was deported for supporting hezbollah if I remeber.

Even in GCC, they even banned Al-Manar channel, you should change your satellite to watch it which many Hezbollah supporters I know did. 

20 minutes ago, Mariam17 said:

This vid links and it’s short, it shows the two opposing views in terms of militias and the imperialist West view in an interview with Ghassan Kanafani. Tell me what you think :)

JazakAllah. This very much helped my understanding.