Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Raising Maryam - Star Trek

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators

She's been watching the original series.

I asked her if she noticed anything about the difference between the leadership of the ship and the crew.

She hadn't.

Kirk, Bones, Scotty and Spock - all white men

Crew = rest of the United Nations

It gets worse. 

The evil Klingons = brown men.

We've previously discussed how the series was supposed to be an anti Soviet propaganda piece.

Guest Skeptical
55 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

She's been watching the original series.

I asked her if she noticed anything about the difference between the leadership of the ship and the crew.

She hadn't.

Kirk, Bones, Scotty and Spock - all white men

Crew = rest of the United Nations

It gets worse. 

The evil Klingons = brown men.

We've previously discussed how the series was supposed to be an anti Soviet propaganda piece.

Spock - Alien

Uhura - Black woman

Sulu - Japanese

Chekov - Russian

4 out of 7 of the primary officers NOT white human men. This for a television series for pubescent teenager dweebs created in 1966.

Methinks you doth protest too much.

• Moderators

Every Star Trek series has been a product of its time, stuffed to bursting with thinly veiled political commentary. It is optimistic and progressive, but the writers could only fathom what was fathomable to them in their time. 

Besides, the main cast was pretty international for the sixties. Kirk and McCoy were the only white Americans in the primary cast. It might have been intended as anti-Soviet, but it still has value as anti-authoritarian yet still anti-anarchy entertainment. 

• Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, Guest Skeptical said:

4 out of 7 of the primary officers NOT white human men.

What's a primary officer?

Let's focus on who has the majority of the screen time.

Yep it's the white male dudes.

And attractive aliens?

Blonde women.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

And attractive aliens?

Blonde women.

That bothers me too. It continued even into the later series, tapering off some over time. Target audience, you know.

1960s America was predominantly White. It's only natural the cast of any television series will be predominantly White. Even then, it was progressive for its time in including many non-White characters. As Skeptical pointed out, Spock was played by a Jewish actor, Uhura a Black actress, and Sulu a Japanese actor. Deep Space Nine of the 1990s had a Black commander and later captain (Benjamin Sisko). In Voyager, a Native American played the role of a Native American commander (Chakotay)

• Veteran Member

1960's America was nearly 90% White, so this doesn't seem that surprising somehow. In fact, as other have pointed out it seems like they were doing quite well from a diversity standpoint.

I'd be more concerned with the liberal secular undercurrents in Star Trek than racism.

• Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Even then, it was progressive for its time in including many non-White characters.

I pointed out the diversity in the OP. 

But whereas you see diversity, I see a message to the rest of the world of the U.S. leading a coalition of assorted nations to promote various 'freedoms' and challenge cultures that have other ideologies.

I think there was very much an eye towards an international audience, especially in developing countries that may have been susceptible to Soviet influence.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

What's a primary officer?

Let's focus on who has the majority of the screen time.

Yep it's the white male dudes.

And attractive aliens?

Blonde women.

I’m getting a little tired of Muslims pandering to BLM and postmodernist identity politics.