Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Who/What is the Holy Spirit?

Rate this topic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't the prophet Isa (عليه السلام) sometimes mentioned in the Holy Quran as روح الله (Ruho-Lah), meaning the spirit of Allah? Maybe he is the Holy spirit but not in the Trinitarian sense.

The fact that it’s not gospel “of” Jesus shows that it’s not gospel of Christ rather the 4 gospels contain some truthful accounts of Jesus’ life. 

We don't know. Maybe it's Jibraeel,maybe not. In surah Qadr Angels and Holy spirt are mentioned separately so it can't be an angel. It is said in a tradition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) th

• Advanced Member
On 8/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, THREE1THREE said:

3. here’s a long answer to that.

Now history, Christian traditions the Clementine of Homolies, Majority of the scholars agree that it dates back within the 2nd century some say mid and say very early. And Recognitions majority of the scholars agree it dates back to the early 2nd century some say 3rd (its a tie between the two).

The homollies was quoted in the year 200ad so its clear that it existed much earlier then 200 but the fact still remains it went through alterations.

All Scholars agree that the Homollies was a copy of a original one(now lost) which was in Greek which dated back to the time of Simon peter. All Scholars agree that Recognitions the current Latin one, was a copy of a Greek version(now lost) which was a copy of another Greek version(now lost) which was the original Homollies.  

Scholars are in agreement that alterations forgery’s have taken place on the Homollies for political and theological reasons and also parts of it have been taken out for the same reasons but those parts are perserved In the Recognitions. Scholars also agree that Recognitions has been through alterations and forgery’s and parts taken out but these parts have been persevered in the Homollies. Homollies didn’t suffer much from Forgery’s and alterations like Recognitions did since Recognitions went through that twice while Homollies went through that once.

the Truth in both of them is a lot, All scholars agree that for the most part between Homollies and Recognitions are word for word. 

Simon peter hints out to us a certain criteria to distinguish truth from falsehood and displays an example for us. So we will be using that criteria which God persevered out of mercy and grace. 

I hadn't ever heard of the Clementine Homilies so thank you for telling me about them.  They sound very interesting.  I'll be sure to look into them.

One concern I have, though, is that I do not believe those Homilies are the Word of God.  I do believe the Gospels to be the Word of God.  What, in your view, makes the Homilies authoritative enough to take precedence over the Gospels?

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

I hadn't ever heard of the Clementine Homilies

One section, "Test of ldoIs", is a paragraph about serpents' breathe, sparrows and maggots.

You ain't missing anything.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

is that I do not believe those Homilies are the Word of God

The homollies are historical accounts like the book of acts.

do believe the Gospels to be the Word of God. 

The gospel is not the word of God. Rather it’s a biography which highlights accounts that have principles or a theology behind them. 

if the Gospel was the word of God

1. We would I have only 1 Gospel not over God knows how much. Before the 2nd canonised Bible, the Christians used to differ on gospel, one had mark the other had Mathew the other had John and the other Luke and the other had Peter’s and so on, different sects had different gospels they disagreed with each other on certain things and agreed with each other on others, hence why when the second canonised bible came in it had the 4 gospels were people agreed on the many accounts in them and disagreed in some in them.

2. their wouldn’t be contradictions within the Gospel and misquotations regarding the OT verses, and 4 the gospels wouldn’t contradict each other on certain accounts and timing and the footnotes wouldn’t  say “some manuscripts say....” 

3. it would be like some of the OT books were God would be speaking and sometimes the prophet is speaking 

4. It wouldn’t have Hellenistic/pagan beliefs mixed with truth. I can show very basic examples. 

the Gospels contains the true words of God’s messenger, once it is reconstructed it will be at the very least reliable so it would be considered the word of God conveyed artificially. 

• Advanced Member

What, in your view, makes the Homilies authoritative enough to take precedence over the Gospels?

They are due to the law strengthening them while the gospels as they are have no basis for some the greco beliefs contained within them. 

Matthew 5:17 is your criterion.

so this what makes up your measuring Rod.

Deuteronomy 4:15-19

Exodus 20:2-5

Isaiah 45:6

Isaiah 46:5

Isaiah 40:25

Isaiah 46:9

Isaiah 40:18

Exodus 8:10

Numbers 23:19

2 chronicles 2:5 (Tanakh; Christian version verse 6)

2 Chronicles 6:18

Mathew 5:19-20

Mathew 7:24-27

John 15:10

Deuteronomy 30:10-20

Judge by these and the truth will be distinguished from falsehood, remember Deuteronomy 13:1(Tanakh)

• 3 weeks later...