Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Who/What is the Holy Spirit?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello, I am a Christian and I would like to know what Muslims believe about the Holy Spirit.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, one of the persons of the Trinity.  He was there before the world began (Gen. 1:1), participated in the work of creation, and came upon people in specific instances during the Old Testament covenant (Judges 3:10Exodus 31:3-6, Numbers 11:17, etc.).  He inspired the authors of Scripture to write the Word of God (2 Tim. 3:16-17).  Now after Christ's life, death, and resurrection, the Holy Spirit is given to all those who believe in Jesus, to dwell in the church and work in the life of the believer to comfort, heal, empower, intercede, and convict (John 14:16-26, 1 Cor. 6:19-20, Rom. 8:26, etc.).

How does the Holy Spirit work in the Muslim faith?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't the prophet Isa (عليه السلام) sometimes mentioned in the Holy Quran as روح الله (Ruho-Lah), meaning the spirit of Allah? Maybe he is the Holy spirit but not in the Trinitarian sense.

The fact that it’s not gospel “of” Jesus shows that it’s not gospel of Christ rather the 4 gospels contain some truthful accounts of Jesus’ life. 

We don't know. Maybe it's Jibraeel,maybe not. In surah Qadr Angels and Holy spirt are mentioned separately so it can't be an angel. It is said in a tradition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) th

• Moderators
12 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

How does the Holy Spirit work in the Muslim faith?

We don't exactly know. According to some traditions Holy Spirit is something higher up than angels. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

The Holy Spirit is actually not a part of a “Godhead” rather it’s an ability and a title for Gabriel. 

Luke 1:35

35The angel answered, “The holy spirit will come in you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.

over here the Holy Spirit is seen as God’s gift to strengthen and unlock an ability. 

Luke 24:

49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from the Most High.”

Acts 1:

6Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”

7He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority. 8But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes in you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Acts 2:

33Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised holy spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

Over here the Holy Spirit unlocks abilities from the get got. 

Pauline epistle 1 Thessalonians 4:8

“the very God who gives you His holy spirit.”

the Holy Spirit is a gift from God.

13 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

He was there before the world began (Gen. 1:1), participated in the work of creation,

That spirit is not the Holy Spirit nor does it say “the Holy spirit” rather that spirit is Wisdom, your church fathers like Always make up a bunch of rubbish while they accuse others before them when they are like them ! Read Matthew 15. 

Wisdom was created by Allah and she is soul that acts as the hand of Allah.

Quick footnote: the original passage calls “Saul”(Paul) Simon which is a fictional name for him in hopes to hide his harshness and heretical beliefs and opposition.

“And Saul said:  ‘Since I see that you frequently speak of the God who created you, learn from me how you are impious even to him.  For there are evidently two who created, as the Scripture says: ‘And God said, Let us make man in our attributes, after our attributes.’  Now ‘let us make,’ implies two or more; certainly not one only.’”

And Peter answered:  “One is He who said to His Wisdom, ‘Let us make a man.’ But His Wisdom was that with which He(God) Himself always delighted with His spirit.  It is seen as soul to God, but it is extended by Him, as a hand, fashioning the universe.  On this account I act rightly in offering up all the honour to one God”  And Saul said:  “What then?  Even if the Scriptures say that there are other gods, will you not accept the opinion?” (Homily XVI, ch.11-12) 

The debate is about the Unity of God. 

Proverbs 8:1-36

1Will not wisdom call out, and understanding give forth its voice?

2At the top of the heights upon the road; at the crossroads she stands.

3Beside the gates, at the entrance of the roof, at the entrance of the portals she cries,

4"To you, O men, I call, and my voice [is] to the children of man.

5O simpletons, understand cunning, and you fools, give understanding to your heart.

6Hearken for I will speak noble things, and the opening of my lips shall be right things.

7For my palate shall utter truth, and wickedness is an abomination of my lips.

8All the sayings of my lips are with righteousness; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.

9They are all true to the understanding one, and straight to those who find knowledge.

10Take my discipline and not silver; knowledge is chosen above gold.

11For wisdom is better than pearls; all desirable things cannot be compared to it.

12I am wisdom; I dwelt [beside] cunning, and the knowledge of devices I will find.

13Fear of the Lord is to hate evil, haughtiness, pride, the way of evil, and a perverse mouth; [these] I hate.

14I have counsel and sound wisdom; I am understanding; I have might.

15Kings reign with me, and rulers legislate righteousness.

16Through me princes govern, and nobles, yea, all judges of righteousness.

17I will love those who love me, and those who seek me eagerly will find me.

18Riches and honor are with me, powerful wealth and charity.

19My fruit is better than gold-yea than fine gold- and my produce [is better] than choice silver.

20In the way of righteousness I will go, in the midst of the paths of justice.

21There is substance to give inheritance to those who love me, and I will fill their treasuries.

22The Lord acquired me at the beginning of His way, before His works of old.

23From the distant past I was enthroned, from the beginning, of those that preceded the earth.

24I was created when there were yet no deeps, when there were no fountains replete with water.

25I was created before the mountains were sunk, before the hills;

26when He(God) had not yet made the land and the outsides and the beginning of the dust of the earth.

27When He(God) established the heavens, there I was, when He(God) drew a circle over the face of the deep;

28when He(God) made the skies above firm, when He(God) strengthened the fountains of the deep;

29when He(God) gave the sea its boundary, and the water shall not transgress His(God’s) command, when He (God) established the foundations of the earth

30I was a nursling beside(not be taken literally) Him(God), and I was [His] delight every day, playing before Him(God) at all times;

31playing in the habitable world of His(God’s) earth, and [having] my delights with the children of man.

32And now, my children, hearken to me, and fortunate are those who observe my ways.

33Hearken to discipline and become wise, and do not put it to naught.

34Fortunate is the man who listens to me to watch by my doors day by day, to watch the doorposts of my entrances.

35For he who has found me has found life, and he has obtained favor from the Lord.

36But he who sins against me robs his soul; all who hate me, love death."

Edited by THREE1THREE
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

The Holy Spirit is actually not a part of a “Godhead” rather it’s an ability and a title for Gabriel. 

We don't know. Maybe it's Jibraeel,maybe not.

In surah Qadr Angels and Holy spirt are mentioned separately so it can't be an angel.

It is said in a tradition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) that a person asked him whether 'Ruh' is the same as Gabriel and he replied:

"Gabriel is one of the Angels and Ruh (Spirit) is greater than angels. Has Allah, the Exalted, not said: 'the Angels and Spirit descend'?”

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, starlight said:

In surah Qadr Angels and Holy spirt are mentioned separately so it can't be an angel.

It is said in a tradition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) that a person asked him whether 'Ruh' is the same as Gabriel and he replied:

"Gabriel is one of the Angels and Ruh (Spirit) is greater than angels. Has Allah, the Exalted, not said: 'the Angels and Spirit descend'?”

Here's that Narration.

Saeed Bin Abdullah, from Ahmad Al-Husayn, from Al-Mukhtar Bin Ziyad Al-Basry, from Muhammad Bin Suleyman, from his father who said:

‘I was with Abu Abdullah (عليه السلام), and he (عليه السلام) mentioned something about the affair of the Imam (asws) when he is born. 

He (asws) said: ‘It obligates an increase with the Spirit during the Night of Predetermination (Laylat Al-Qadr).’

I said to him (asws), ‘May I be sacrificed for you! Is not the Spirit Jibraeel (عليه السلام)?’ 

He (عليه السلام) said: ‘Jibraeel (عليه السلام) is from the Angels, and the Spirit is a creation greater than the Angels, has not Allah (عزّ وجلّ) Said:

The Angels and the Spirit descend during it by Permission of their Lord, of every matter [97:4]?

Basiaar al darajaat vol.4 p.484.

• Veteran Member
16 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

what Muslims believe about the Holy Spirit.

Actually, a 'holy spirit' does not exist.

Ruh is an irregular noun -the singular and plural are the same.

The Ruh stand forth for Sentencing on the Last Day, Sura 78:38.

Ruh are not angels and are identified as separate, Sura 70:4.

Little knowledge about the Ruh was given, Sura 17:85

The rendition of "Ruh qudos" (a single Ruh) as 'holy spirit' is ignorant and Quranically incorrect. Ruh was sent to Muhammad -(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s. --Sura 16:102; "supports" lsa -(عليه السلام).  Sura 2:87, 2:253, 5:110.

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, starlight said:

What do you mean it doesn't exist?

Because it is an evilgelical contrivance, The word "Holy" only can be applied to the God of Noah -(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s. and to affix the word to anything else is shirk.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, HusseinAbbas said:

The holy spirit is the angel Gabriel(عليه السلام) in islam.

We qll know what this pure Angel does, he gives revelation to the prophets(عليه السلام) for example.

That's really interesting.  Why does the angel Gabriel talk about the Holy Spirit as if he is a different person?

"The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, starlight said:

So is the Spirit Allah's Spirit, or just a higher angel?

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Because it is an evilgelical contrivance, The word "Holy" only can be applied to the God of Noah -(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s. and to affix the word to anything else is shirk.

I totally agree.  That's why I believe that the Holy Spirit is God.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

the Holy Spirit is a gift from God.

“And Saul said:  ‘Since I see that you frequently speak of the God who created you, learn from me how you are impious even to him.  For there are evidently two who created, as the Scripture says: ‘And God said, Let us make man in our attributes, after our attributes.’  Now ‘let us make,’ implies two or more; certainly not one only.’”

And Peter answered:  “One is He who said to His Wisdom, ‘Let us make a man.’ But His Wisdom was that with which He(God) Himself always delighted with His spirit.  It is seen as soul to God, but it is extended by Him, as a hand, fashioning the universe.  On this account I act rightly in offering up all the honour to one God”  And Saul said:  “What then?  Even if the Scriptures say that there are other gods, will you not accept the opinion?” (Homily XVI, ch.11-12) 

The debate is about the Unity of God. 

I definitely agree that the Holy Spirit is a gift from God.  He is so gracious as to give us his Spirit when we put our faith in Christ.  I also agree that the Holy Spirit gives power and imparts strength to God's followers. 

I believe that Proverbs 8 is talking about the wisdom of God personified, and not the Spirit.  For evidence of the Spirit at work in creation, you just have to look at Genesis 1:1-2:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, modaoudi said:

Isn't the prophet Isa (عليه السلام) sometimes mentioned in the Holy Quran as روح الله (Ruho-Lah), meaning the spirit of Allah? Maybe he is the Holy spirit but not in the Trinitarian sense.

That's very interesting.  I guess the question would be then why Isa talks about the Holy Spirit as a person separate from himself:

"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

That's really interesting.  Why does the angel Gabriel talk about the Holy Spirit as if he is a different person?

"The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

You are quoting the bible, but I am talking about the holy spirit in islam not in christianity, I obviously don't refer to the bible when it comes to islam, I refer to the quran.

• Advanced Member
43 minutes ago, HusseinAbbas said:

You are quoting the bible, but I am talking about the holy spirit in islam not in christianity, I obviously don't refer to the bible when it comes to islam, I refer to the quran.

Qur’an 2:136 “Say ye: ‘We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma’il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam).’”

Qur'an 3:3-4 "He has sent down upon you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming what was before it.  And He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.  Before, as guidance for the people.  And He revealed the Qur'an.  Indeed, those who disbelieve in the verses of Allah will have a severe punishment, and Allah is exalted in Might, the Owner of Retribution."

Qur'an 5:47 "And let the People of the Gospel judge by what Allah has revealed therein. And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the defiantly disobedient."

Qur'an 5:68 "Say, 'O People of the Scripture, you are [standing] on nothing until you uphold [the law of] the Torah, the Gospel, and what has been revealed to you from your Lord.' And that which has been revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase many of them in transgression and disbelief. So do not grieve over the disbelieving people." 

My understanding of these verses is that the Qur'an teaches that the Injeel is also the Word of God.  I was citing it as a source because your Scripture says that we must also uphold the Gospels of Jesus (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

But I understand that you take the Qur'an as a higher authority.  My second question would be: How does the angel Gabriel have the authority to reveal the Word of God?

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

I believe that Proverbs 8 is talking about the wisdom of God personified, and not the Spirit. 

The verse is pretty clear. Wisdom is a person. Your opinion nothing but mere conjecture and wishful thinking. 

The spirit is Wisdom. It does not say the “Holy spirit” I’ve came to you with clear arguments and verses now and at this point this is where the mask drops and your true colours come out... nothing but arrogance it’s no surprise from Trinitarians. 

He is so gracious as to give us his Spirit when we put our faith in Christ. 

don’t give me that pagan nonsense. You know that is not true and I’ve shown it. 

I definitely agree that the Holy Spirit is a gift from God. 

To the prophets and disciples of the prophets not every Tom,dick and Harry. You haven’t understood what is the Holy Spirit. 

the Holy Spirit gives power by unlocking abilities from the get go and increases ones certainty.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

18 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

22The Lord acquired me at the beginning of His way, before His works of old.

23From the distant past I was enthroned, from the beginning, of those that preceded the earth.

24I was created when there were yet no deeps, when there were no fountains replete with water.

25I was created before the mountains were sunk, before the hills;

26when He(God) had not yet made the land and the outsides and the beginning of the dust of the earth.

27When He(God) established the heavens, there I was, when He(God) drew a circle over the face of the deep;

28when He(God) made the skies above firm, when He(God) strengthened the fountains of the deep;

29when He(God) gave the sea its boundary, and the water shall not transgress His(God’s) command, when He (God) established the foundations of the earth

30I was a nursling beside(not be taken literally) Him(God), and I was [His] delight every day, playing before Him(God) at all times;

31playing in the habitable world of His(God’s) earth, and [having] my delights with the children of man

18 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

And Saul said:  ‘Since I see that you frequently speak of the God who created you, learn from me how you are impious even to him.  For there are evidently two who created, as the Scripture says: ‘And God said, Let us make man in our attributes, after our attributes.’  Now ‘let us make,’ implies two or more; certainly not one only.’”

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, flyingeagle said:

Qur’an 2:136 “Say ye: ‘We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma’il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam).’”

Qur'an 3:3-4 "He has sent down upon you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming what was before it.  And He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.  Before, as guidance for the people.  And He revealed the Qur'an.  Indeed, those who disbelieve in the verses of Allah will have a severe punishment, and Allah is exalted in Might, the Owner of Retribution."

Qur'an 5:47 "And let the People of the Gospel judge by what Allah has revealed therein. And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the defiantly disobedient."

Qur'an 5:68 "Say, 'O People of the Scripture, you are [standing] on nothing until you uphold [the law of] the Torah, the Gospel, and what has been revealed to you from your Lord.' And that which has been revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase many of them in transgression and disbelief. So do not grieve over the disbelieving people." 

My understanding of these verses is that the Qur'an teaches that the Injeel is also the Word of God.  I was citing it as a source because your Scripture says that we must also uphold the Gospels of Jesus (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

But I understand that you take the Qur'an as a higher authority.  My second question would be: How does the angel Gabriel have the authority to reveal the Word of God?

By beliving in the quran, I am technically beleiving in what Isa(عليه السلام) and Musa(عليه السلام) came with from a muslim standpoint, if I was alive during Isa(عليه السلام) or Musa(عليه السلام) time, I would be beleiving in what they came with them, but we muslims also beleive that the torah and the gospels have been corrupted(obviously) as the torah and bible obviously have contradicting claims to the quran on the same subjects and the quran makes this clear by calling out such people who edit Allah(stw) word for their own gain:

So woe to those who write the "scripture" with their own hands, then say, "This is from Allah," in order to exchange it for a small price. Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they earn. quran 2:79

We don't beleive the gospels of Mark, Mathew, Luke, Jhon to be the gospels of Isa(عليه السلام), we beleive Isa(عليه السلام) came with revelation(gospel) which was lost over time, this especially isn't suprising since the gospel has been translated into multiple languages which means a lot of meanings were lost over time too, this is why a translation of the quran is not a quran and we insist it be in arabic for it to be a quran.

Edited by HusseinAbbas
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

Why does the angel Gabriel talk about the Holy Spirit as if he is a different person?

I’ve already told you that the Holy Spirit is simply an ability given by God to whom ever He choses to unlock certain abilities. 
The other is a title to Gabriel. 

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, HusseinAbbas said:

We don't beleive the gospels of Mark, Mathew, Luke, Jhon to be the gospels of Isa(عليه السلام),

The fact that it’s not gospel “of” Jesus shows that it’s not gospel of Christ rather the 4 gospels contain some truthful accounts of Jesus’ life. 

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

I totally agree.  That's why I believe that the Holy Spirit is God.

The evilgelical contrivance 'holy spook' is just that, a contrivance, so evilgelicals can trinitize religion (shirk).

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, flyingeagle said:

My second question would be: How does the angel Gabriel have the authority to reveal the Word of God?

He does what he is told to do. He says what he told to say.

Ayat 2:32

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

The verse is pretty clear. Wisdom is a person.

No.

"Wisdom" is the literary personification of an idea. Same as when Aesop personified animals in his fables.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

No.

"Wisdom" is the literary personification of an idea. Same as when Aesop personified animals in his fables.

Wisdom is a spirit, Imam Shimon ((عليه السلام)) makes that clear in his debate with Paul the imposter and proverbs 8 shows that the spirit of Alohim in genesis is Wisdom and so does Imam Shimon ((عليه السلام)). 

Edited by THREE1THREE
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Surat al Qadr:

تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِمْ مِنْ كُلِّ أَمْرٍ

The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter.

The angels (including Jibril as) and the Spirit. Is the Spirit a different entity then?

Edited by modaoudi
  • Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, modaoudi said:

Surat al Qadr:

تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِمْ مِنْ كُلِّ أَمْرٍ

The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter.

The angels (including Jibril as) and the Spirit. Is the Spirit a different entity then?

Ruh is our souls if i recall

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

Ruh is our souls if i recall

yes I know but in the aya he refers to the Spirit because there is the alif and lam  ال before the word so it must be one entity.

And aditionally why would "our souls" descend to us (the world) if our souls are already in this world?

Edited by modaoudi
  • Advanced Member
1 minute ago, modaoudi said:

And aditionally why would "our souls" descend to us (the world) if our souls are already in this world?

I think what the Quran is betraying is that in this month around that time our souls descended to the realm of Alam al-Darr, correct me if I’m wrong.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, THREE1THREE said:

Wisdom is a spirit,

No.

Do a Bible word search. From Job onwards the word is used two ways. The one l wrote above, a personification, you can find at Sirach 1:4 and 1:24.

The second is the word is used as a descriptive. These also have that "wisdom" is granted, deprived of, is opposed to folly, is added to; and is also used to describe knowing the minutae of superstitions.