Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Authentic narrations on du`a

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Authentic narrations from al-Kafi on du`a that in perfectly in accordance with what is in the Qur'an. I've given slightly modified versions of Muhammad Sarwar's translations out of laziness, even though I'm generally not a big fan of his translations. I've also given al-Majlisi's gradings from Mir'at al-`Uqul.

1 - علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن حماد بن عيسى، عن حريز، عن زرارة عن أبي جعفر (عليه السلام) قال: إن الله عز وجل يقول: " إن الذين يستكبرون عن عبادتي سيدخلون جهنم داخرين [1] " قال: هو الدعاء وأفضل العبادة الدعاء، قلت: إن " إبراهيم لاواه حليم  "؟ قال: الأواه هو الدعاء.
الحديث الأول : حسن كالصحيح

H 3047, CH 1, h 1
Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from Hammad ibn ‘Isa from Hariz from Zurara from abu Ja’far (عليه السلام) who has said the following:
“Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, ‘Those who consider themselves above the need to worship Me will soon go to hell in disgrace.’ (40:60)
“The Imam said, ‘This is a reference to du`a. The best form of worship is du`a.’ I (the narrator) then asked, ‘What is meant by: Ibrahim is la awwahu, prayerful and forbearing?’ The Imam said, ‘It means making du`a.’”

Grading: Hasan like Sahih

2 - محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن محمد بن إسماعيل وابن محبوب، جميعا عن حنان بن سدير، عن أبيه قال: قلت لأبي جعفر (عليه السلام): أي العبادة أفضل؟ فقال: ما من شئ أفضل عند الله عز وجل من أن يسئل ويطلب مما عنده وما أحد أبغض إلى الله عز وجل ممن يستكبر عن عبادته ولا يسأل ما عنده.
الحديث الثاني : حسن موثق

H 3048, CH 1, h 2
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from Muhammad ibn ‘Isma’il and ibn Mahbub all Hanan ibn Sadir from his father who has said the following:
“Once I asked abu Ja’far (عليه السلام), ‘Which form of worship is better?’ The Imam said, ‘There is nothing more excellent before Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, than to ask and request Him to grant one from things He owns. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, hates no one more than one who feels himself greater than to be in need of asking Allah for help, thus, he does not ask Him for help.’”

Grading: Hasan reliable

3 - أبو علي الأشعري، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار، عن صفوان، عن ميسر بن عبد العزيز، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: قال لي: يا ميسر ادع ولا تقل: إن الامر قد فرغ منه، إن عند الله عز وجل منزلة لا تنال إلا بمسألة، ولو أن عبدا سد فاه ولم يسأل لم يعط شيئا فسل تعط، يا ميسر إنه ليس من باب يقرع إلا يوشك أن يفتح لصاحبه 
الحديث الثالث : صحيح.

H 3049, CH 1, h 3
Abu Ali al-Ash’ari has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Jabbar from Safwan from Maysir ibn ‘Abd al-‘Aziz from Abu ‘Abd Allah (عليه السلام) who has said the following:
“Abu ‘Abd Allah (عليه السلام) once said to me, ‘O Maysir, make du`a and do not say that it is predetermined and it is all over. There is a position with Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious, that is not accessible without praying to Him. If a servant keeps his mouth closed and does not plead to receive help, he will not receive anything. O Maysir, there is no door that is knocked repeatedly but that sooner or later it will open up.’”
Grading: Sahih

5 - علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن حماد بن عيسى، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: سمعته يقول: ادع ولا تقل: قد فرغ من الامر فإن الدعاء هو العبادة إن الله عز وجل يقول: " إن الذين يستكبرون عن عبادتي سيدخلون جهنم داخرين " وقال: " ادعوني أستجب لكم ".
الحديث الخامس : حسن كالصحيح

H 3051, CH 1, h 5
Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from Hammad ibn ‘Isa who has said the following:
“I heard abu ‘Abd Allah (عليه السلام), saying, ‘Pray and do not say that it (belief in predetermination) is already determined and the matter is settled; du`a is worshipping. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, ‘Those who consider themselves above the need to worship Me will soon go to hell in disgrace,’ (40:60) ‘Call on me, and I will answer you (first part of the above verse).’”
Grading: Hasan like Sahih

6 - أبو علي الأشعري، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار، عن ابن أبي نجران، عن سيف التمار قال: سمعت أبا عبد الله (عليه السلام) يقول: عليكم بالدعاء فإنكم لا تقربون بمثله ولا تتركوا صغيرة لصغرها أن تدعوا بها، إن صاحب الصغار هو صاحب الكبار.
الحديث السادس : صحيح

H 3052, CH 1, h 6
Abu Ali al-Ash’ari has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Jabbar from ibn abu Najran from Sayf al-Tammar who has said the following:
“I heard abu ‘Abd Allah (عليه السلام), saying, ‘You must make du`a; you cannot seek nearness to Allah by any better means. Do not leave your small needs without making du`a, just because they are small; both small and large needs are in the hands of One and the same One.’”
Grading: Sahih

• Veteran Member

For #3 'prayer' isn't the best translation for مسالة

Lane's Lexicon:

مَسْأَلَةٌ, an inf. n. of 1, is tropically used in the sense of a pass. part. n. [with the noun qualified by it understood; meaning ‡ A thing asked; i. e. a question; a problem, or proposition; a matter, or an affair, proposed for decision or determination]: (TA:) and the pl. is مَسَائِلُ. (Mṣb, TA.) So in the saying, تَعَلَّمْتُ مَسْأَلَةً  [I learned a question, or problem,, &c.]. (TA.) The saying, in a trad., كَرِهَ المَسَائِلَ وَعَابَهَا means † [He (Moḥammad) disliked and discommended] subtile questions, such as are needless

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/12_s/007_sOl.html

[andسَأْلَةٌ↓ or سَأَلَةٌ, as will be shown by what follows;] andمَسْؤُولٌ↓; (Mṣb;) [andمَسْأَلَةٌ↓:] see 4: the first of these said by Z to be of the measure فُعْلٌ in the sense of the measure مَفْعُولٌ; like عُرْفٌ and نُكْرٌ. (TA.) Thus in the Ḳur [xx. 36], قَدْ أُوتِيتَ سُؤْلَكَ يَا مُوسَى Thou hast been granted thy petition, or the thing that thou hast asked, O Moses. (Ṣ, M, TA.) In the saying اَللّٰهُمَّ أَعْطِنَا سَأَلَاتِنَا↓ [O God, grant Thou us our petitions], mentioned by Aboo-ʼAlee on the authority of AZ, the inf. n. is used as a subst., properly so termed, and is therefore pluralized

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/12_s/007_sOl.html#suWolN

Guest Pschological Warfare

You must make du`a; you cannot seek nearness to Allah by any better means.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَابْتَغُوا إِلَيْهِ الْوَسِيلَةَ وَجَاهِدُوا فِي سَبِيلِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ {35}

[Shakir 5:35] O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and seek means of nearness to Him and strive hard in His way that you may be successful.
[Pickthal 5:35] O ye who believe! Be mindful of your duty to Allah, and seek the way of approach unto Him, and strive in His way in order that ye may succeed.
[Yusufali 5:35] O ye who believe! Do your duty to Allah, seek the means of approach unto Him, and strive with might and main in his cause: that ye may prosper.
[Pooya/Ali Commentary 5:35]

Wasilah is a means of access to a thing or a being.

If Allah had willed He could have guided mankind directly through inspiration, but in His infinite wisdom, He had not deemed it desirable. He selected and appointed His representatives to convey His message and laws to people and administer their affairs in every age. Please refer to pages 1 to 7, and the commentary of al Baqarah: 2 to 5, 30 to 38, 48, and 124 to know that the Holy Prophet and his Ahl ul Bayt are the only means of approach to Allah.

Thus wasilah or means of access to Allah is to faithfully follow the Holy Prophet and the holy Imams of his holy house, who have been thoroughly purified by Allah (Ahzab: 33).

The Holy Prophet said:

"I and Ali are from one divine light."

"I will soon be called back, so I will have to go away from you, but I leave behind, amid you, the thaqalayn (two weighty indispensable influential authorities), the book of Allah and my Ahl ul Bayt. Should you be attached to these two, never, never shall you go astray, after me, for verily these two will never be separated from each other; and, joined together, they shall meet me at the spring of Kawthar."

"My Ahl ul Bayt amongst you are like the ark of Nuh. He who sails on it will be safe; but he who holds back shall be drowned and lost.".

https://quran.al-islam.org/

---------------------------------------------------

I am a layman, do not have the knowledge of Hadith sciences. However, It may be that the words translated or concepts understood have many layers of meanings and we migth be just using one meaning in a silo instead to looking and understanding it in a holistic/360 degree way. This may be a problem of translation, or just literal meaning with out proper context and keeping in view the concepts presented in the qur'an. 

Waseela or seek or nearness in what way, may have many paths . 

Meaning of a dua, prayer, these things are technical words and concepts are very broad. So, we can use one hadith or verse to make one point while the someone else can use other hadith and verses to make another point. Technical and literal reading is probably the cause of this confusion. 

• Veteran Member

Are you contradicting the Imam (عليه السلام) with your speculative tafsir? The Imam is telling you that the best means of approach to Allah is through making dua. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is also quoted quite a bit in Nahj al-Balagha talking about seeking nearness to Allah:

It doesn't seem to back up your position.

Guest Pschological Warfare

Not going to get into what you perceive instead of what I wrote. 

So,

Define what is

1) Waseela? 

2) Dua 

2) Dua for what A) Seeking guidance B) Help C) Need a better job/car/career " ( once you start thinking along these lines you will get my drift).

3) your understanding of nearness. 

Your perception and my understanding might be different. 

اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ {6}

[Yusufali 1:6] Show us the straight way,

صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ {7}

[Yusufali 1:7] The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

Allah(عزّ وجلّ) is directing ALL MUslims to ask in this way, and HE(عزّ وجلّ) provides the answer.  To me, Dua/ prayer/ seeking help or nearness might have a different meaning. 

I hope we can have a dialogue, not a contest.