Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How do hard times strengthen your faith?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello friends,

I have been thinking a lot about how it's the hard times and the struggles in this life, that help me to depend on Allah and trust in Him to take care of me and provide for me. I think that the hard things I have experienced help to grow my faith in him and help me see that He is good in spite of my circumstances.

Has anyone else found this to be true? How do you deal with hard times? I would love to hear your thoughts.

May Allah bless you with grace and peace!

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

For me, it's much easier to feel closer to God when life is easy. During hard times, I tend to give up and lose all my hope. Forget about 40 days, what if bad things are happening after every 2 or 3 days? I can deal with illness, or some degree of abuse, but last year, I dealt with spiritual abuse and it really damaged my faith. For the first time in my life, I felt so empty and I felt like people were killing my soul. I didn't have anything which would at least keep me busy and divert my attention. I am done with hardships, and I need some success and happiness in my life. Until the time I turned 30, I had relatively easy life and I was more religious then. In fact I was the most religious person in my family and now I am the least religious. 

Edited by rkazmi33
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Part of this loss of hope is the shaitaan trying to force this idea on you, that there is no more hope for me. I feel like you have to realise that the one person that suffered most hardships is the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), but isn't he the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))?, why would God put him through hardships. The more God loves someone, the more hardships he puts them through. And God loved the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) the most so he put him through the most hardships. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows the rewards someone gets when having gone through these hardships and so Allah puts you through them because he knows the value of these hardships.  The believer is always put through some sort of hardship because there is a certain wisdom behind them, if we are patient with them, then the rewards for this are unimaginable. Try also to remember that the world is temporary so nothing here is permanent, rather our belief, faith and aamal are the only thing accompanying us to the hereafter. Surah 2 Ayah 155 "And we will most certainly try with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of poverty and lives and fruits, and give good news to the patient". 

There was some advice given by a Scholar, he said that if you want to start your religious journey you have start slowly as opposed to forcing a lot of things on you, after all consistency through out a long term is better than one year of intense worship and then stopping. First take it slow, start of with a few basic things, for example maybe 10 mins of quran reading and then slowly start incrementally adding some extra minutes when you feel like you are capable, maybe add one dua to your schedule or a ziyarat ashura. Maybe do some taqibaat. But don't too much that you don't want to do anymore and start tiring yourself out. Once you feel like you its apart of your regular schedule then you can start adding more mustahabat. InshAllah it becomes easier for you.

Edited by ShiaofAli12
  • Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

@ShiaofAli12 last year I was listening to a very different kind of message from scholars. They were constantly saying that Prophets and AhlylBayt were all successful people. If you are miserable, that's because of your sins and that makes you a kafir. Because if you are a good momin, you will live a good life both in this world and next. All the blessings in this world are created for momins and momins enjoy them, while lazy people cannot obtain those blessings and use religion as an excuse. People, who are lazy in worldly affairs, they are also lazy in religious affairs. This is what I call spiritual abuse and it's happening a lot. It's easier to deal with hardships when you believe it's a test from God but when people constantly tell you that it's a punishment for your sins, it becomes hard to deal with it. 

My sister has recently become religious and she is very competitive. She has made religion a competition also. She is working, doing house work, doing all sorts of worship and also helping people in community. There are people cheering for her and discouraging me. For example, when I fast on my days off, people actually become mad. Unwillingly, I have become part of this competition with her and it's exhausting. It's also surprising for me because mostly when people become religious, they also want others to excel in spiritual journey. But when competitive people become religious, it seems like they want all others to stop practising. 

Scholars have lost the compassion. They have turned into motivational speakers and they insist on over dosing you with the bitter truth. 

Edited by rkazmi33
  • Advanced Member

I personally become closer to Allah if things are normal and ease. I know I should remember Allah and Ahlulbait during hard times. I try to control myself, but at the same time I try to control the situation, so that it wouldn't get worse. 

It's very hard to control my thoughts during hard times. Please do dua for me to forgive myself and being patient and forgiving to others.

• Advanced Member

@rkazmi33 i understand what you mean, but let us look into the life of Imam Musa al Kadhim (عليه السلام), he was kept in prison for a very long time and the conditions was dreadful, he was repeatedly moved from prison to prison and each one worse than the other. The way people had to communicate with the Imam was to go to him whilst he was in prison. The Imam in order to get the ruler at the time to consider his actions was to get his companion Bahlool to act insane but send a very deep message to Harun. Not to mention the latter imams were actually kept under house arrest for a bulk of their lives. Imam Al Hadi (عليه السلام) was kept under house arrest in Sammarra, and Mutawakil, the ruler at the time, in short words, at every night would wake the Imam at midnight every week, possible everyday, he would get no sleep. Because of the people at the time, the Imams were under great hardships and tribulations and this is just two of the Imams, imagine hardships the rest had to deal with.

54 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

They were constantly saying that Prophets and AhlylBayt were all successful people.

They were successful of course but most definitely dealt with hardships.

If you are miserable, that's because of your sins and that makes you a kafir. Because if you are a good momin, you will live a good life both in this world and next. All the blessings in this world are created for momins and momins enjoy them, while lazy people cannot obtain those blessings and use religion as an excuse. People, who are lazy in worldly affairs, they are also lazy in religious affairs. This is what I call spiritual abuse and it's happening a lot. It's easier to deal with hardships when you believe it's a test from God but when people constantly tell you that it's a punishment for your sins, it becomes hard to deal with it. 

Yeah maybe you'll afflicted with some sort of hardship for sins but it doesn't make you a kafir. The Ahlulbayt were the best of believers and they lived a good life in terms of their stance for God, in the way of God to protect his religion but they were confronted with many hardships the likes we probably would never understand. We were created for the hereafter and everything here is temporary, this world is nothing compared to the akhira. Not all hardships are because of sins, because the Prophet and the Ahlulbayt are infallibles so they never sinned, but were also dealing with hardships. So it comes to show not all hardships come from our sins. They are test from God to see whether we will remain steadfast on the path of God, will be patient or look to haram means to gain leverage over these hardships.

For example, when I fast on my days off, people actually become mad

Wait why?

Unwillingly, I have become part of this competition with her and it's exhausting. 

Try to keep in mind that this religious journey we are on is for Allah and Allah alone and not to make people proud of us. Don't worry about competing with your sister. You are competing with yourself, to see whether or not you are going to better than you were before. You always to improve yourself slowly.

It's also surprising for me because mostly when people become religious, they also want others to excel in spiritual journey. But when competitive people become religious, it seems like they want all others to stop practising. 

People that are worshipping God for Allah's pleasure are always going to want people to become better, the community to grow to. But people who are competing for this usually want it for the community, to make it seem that they are better than the rest. They want to stand out, to seem better than the other kids and so intentions may be for the wrong purpose. You should probably tell your sister about this, to focus on gaining Allah's pleasure and not the people (im not trying to judge anyone).

May Allah make it easy for you.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Birth Anniversary of 10th Holy Shia Imam 'Ali al-Naqi al-Hadi' / Biography

By: Baqir Shareef al-Qurashi

AhlulBayt News Agency (ABNA): Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) was a pure branch from the tree of prophethood, and a shiny bough from the tree of Imamate. By him and his fathers Allah has consolidated Islam and exalted monotheism. Before talking about the aspects of his great personality, we will discuss his pure origin, birth, upbringing and martyrdom. 

The Origin And The Birth

His Father

The father of Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) was Imam Muhammad al-Jawad bin[1][2] Ali bin Musa bin Ja’far bin Muhammad bin Ali bin al-Husayn bin Ali bin Abu Talib (peace be upon them). It is the most exalted lineage in Islam. Humankind, throughout all its ages, has never had a lineage more honorable and more exalted than this lineage that has lit the world with the essence of Islam and faith. To this great, honorable family Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) was born. His father, Imam al-Jawad ((عليه السلام).), was the wonder of the world through his talents and intellectual abilities. After the death of his father, Imam ar-Ridha ((عليه السلام).), he assumed the general religious authority and leadership of the nation while he was only seven years and some months old.

His Mother

Before we talk about the mother of Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) we would like to say, as we have said many times before, that Islam has adopted the unity of society and struggled against all the means that might lead to disagreement or break that unity. The Imams of the Ahlul Bayt ((عليه السلام).) always acted in light of this fact.

They did not differentiate between the White and the Black. They got married to bondmaids in order to do away with all kinds of racial segregation. Imam Ali bin al-Husayn Zaynul Aabidin (as-Sajjad) ((عليه السلام).) married a bondmaid who gave birth to Zayd the eternal martyr, and Imam Muhammad al-Jawad ((عليه السلام).) got married to a bondmaid who gave birth to Imam Ali al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).).

Martyrdom of Imam Ali-un-Naqi al-Hadi((عليه السلام).)

Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) suffered pressing misfortunes and distresses from the Abbasid tyrants. They spared no effort in oppressing and harming him. Al-Mutawakkil was the most spiteful towards Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) from among all the Abbasid caliphs. He oppressed him too much. He moved the Imam from Yathrib to Samarra' and imposed on him house arrest, and surrounded his house with policemen who watched even his breaths.

Al-Mutawakkil prevented ulama', jurisprudents, and narrators from meeting him, taking from his knowledge and narrating his fatwas and opinions. Doing this, al-Mutawakkil committed a terrible crime against knowledge. He imposed economical blockade against the Imam and prevented people from taking the legal dues, which came from the different Islamic countries, to him. He left the Imam in a pressing neediness. He ordered his men to search the house of the Imam from time to time that they might find arms or books objecting to the Abbasid rule so that al-Mutawakkil might find an excuse to kill the Imam but nothing was found.

Sometimes, he ordered his men to bring him the Imam in whatever state he was. Once, the Imam was brought while al-Mutawakkil was drunk and before him there were vessels and cups of wine and he was surrounded by groups of male and female singers, but the Imam was sharp with him and began advising him, reminding him of the afterlife, and scolding him for the corruption he was in. When al-Mutawakkil saw the Imam insist on keeping away from him, refuse to associate with him, and devote himself to Allah, he ordered his men to arrest and put him into prison.

Narrators said that some man heard Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) saying from inside the prison, 'I am more exalted near Allah than the she-camel of (Prophet) Salih.' Then he recited this Qur'anic verse, (Enjoy yourselves in your abode for three days, that is a promise not to be belied).[1241][698]After three days, the tyrant was killed by his son al-Muntasir.[1242][699]

After the death of al-Mutawakkil, the distress of Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) did not end. The Abbasid government kept on watching him and plotting day and night to do away with him. The Abbasids bore malice towards him because he was highly regarded and sanctified by all the nation, whereas the Abbasids got no respect or regard like that. Besides that there was a big part of the nation believing in the Imamate of Imam al-Hadi ((عليه السلام).) and believing that he was worthier of the Islamic caliphate than the Abbasids who indulged in pleasures and lusts and governed the nation, like the Umayyads, with violence, oppression, and haughtiness.

https://en.abna24.com/news//birth-anniversary-of-10th-holy-shia-imam-ali-al-naqi-al-hadi-biography_1060370.html

• Advanced Member
On 8/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, Mariam17 said:

100% agree. My life is far from perfect and my childhood wasn’t great however, I am very privileged compared to others around the world. For me my experiences allowed me to be very observant and spiritual. I was able to work on my inner self and learn to love Allah through supplicating to Him in times of pain. Only later did I combine this with fearing Allah. However, I made mistakes in which I wasn’t grateful and was ignorant. Grenfell happened and my brother’s friend died, he jumped in a burning building to try and save his family and we watched the tower burn from our window. That was my turning point that made me question “If I died right now, would I be in heaven?”, especially that my brother’s friend who died had a sister who was my age who passed away. My hardships expanded and that made me closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). I wore the hijab at 17 and took islam serious and became a Shia at 18. However I’m not trying to paint this like it was easy and I didn’t go back and forth in dealing with pressures. But eventually you become stronger if you seek Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) constantly. But it’s key to note that people deal with hardships differently. Each of my family members deal with their pain differently. When I was younger I dealt with it in a combination of spirituality and also anger as to “why me?”. Dealing with hardship is not linear. All we can do is to wish that we are guided as Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) only guides those who have the intention. During my pain when I was younger I always asked to be guided on the straight path... I never in a million years knew I would become Shia haha. Alhamdulilah I’m glad Allah has chosen me to be His slave.

Please make Du’a that my brothers become Shia Insha’Allah.

Thank you so much for sharing! I am so sorry about what happened to your brother's friend and his family. There is so much tragedy in this world. When things are difficult, my only hope is in Allah. But I also agree that there are different ways that people respond to hardships. There have certainly been times when my struggles have caused me to question "why" and to doubt Allah's plan. But I believe that He works all things together for good, and I pray that both good times and bad will help me walk more closely with him.

One other thought...You say that you are glad Allah has chosen you to be his slave. I think in a way, I serve him as a slave because he is my master, but I also believe that we can be God's friends. I believe He loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. I pray that you will know his love and mercy for you!

Blessings to you, my friend!

• Advanced Member
On 8/5/2020 at 9:07 PM, ShiaofAli12 said:

This does happen to me as well and you feel very grateful that it does. They're sort of like reminders to turn back to God regularly.

@Mariam17 MashAllah a beautiful journey, I ask Allah to put the love of Ahlulbayt in your brothers hearts and to give you happiness in this life and the next.

Yes, exactly! My pain reminds me that I need to turn to Allah and receive His help and strength.

• Advanced Member
On 8/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, rkazmi33 said:

For me, it's much easier to feel closer to God when life is easy. During hard times, I tend to give up and lose all my hope. Forget about 40 days, what if bad things are happening after every 2 or 3 days? I can deal with illness, or some degree of abuse, but last year, I dealt with spiritual abuse and it really damaged my faith. For the first time in my life, I felt so empty and I felt like people were killing my soul. I didn't have anything which would at least keep me busy and divert my attention. I am done with hardships, and I need some success and happiness in my life. Until the time I turned 30, I had relatively easy life and I was more religious then. In fact I was the most religious person in my family and now I am the least religious. 

Wow, it sounds like you have been through a lot of hardship. I am so sorry for your pain, my friend. I can understand how those struggles make you feel further away from God. I believe that God wants us to give us abundant life, but that Satan wants to steal, kill and destroy. I think that is why my pain and difficulty drives me to seek Allah more fervently, because I know that the hardships don't come from him (even though he allows them) and that He is able to give me hope and peace. I pray that you will find hope and peace as well. Blessings to you!!

• Advanced Member
On 8/5/2020 at 10:58 PM, rkazmi33 said:

@ShiaofAli12 last year I was listening to a very different kind of message from scholars. They were constantly saying that Prophets and AhlylBayt were all successful people. If you are miserable, that's because of your sins and that makes you a kafir. Because if you are a good momin, you will live a good life both in this world and next. All the blessings in this world are created for momins and momins enjoy them, while lazy people cannot obtain those blessings and use religion as an excuse. People, who are lazy in worldly affairs, they are also lazy in religious affairs. This is what I call spiritual abuse and it's happening a lot. It's easier to deal with hardships when you believe it's a test from God but when people constantly tell you that it's a punishment for your sins, it becomes hard to deal with it. 

My sister has recently become religious and she is very competitive. She has made religion a competition also. She is working, doing house work, doing all sorts of worship and also helping people in community. There are people cheering for her and discouraging me. For example, when I fast on my days off, people actually become mad. Unwillingly, I have become part of this competition with her and it's exhausting. It's also surprising for me because mostly when people become religious, they also want others to excel in spiritual journey. But when competitive people become religious, it seems like they want all others to stop practising. 

Scholars have lost the compassion. They have turned into motivational speakers and they insist on over dosing you with the bitter truth. 

I have experienced some of this kind of spiritual abuse as well. And I don't believe that religion should be about a competition.  I believe we each have to be allowed to have our own spiritual journeys, and be allowed to develop a relationship with Allah in our own time and in our own way. That will look differently for different people, and that's okay. I also believe it is important to have compassion on others, as we can't know the reason for their suffering.

• Advanced Member
On 8/5/2020 at 11:23 PM, Quran313 said:

I personally become closer to Allah if things are normal and ease. I know I should remember Allah and Ahlulbait during hard times. I try to control myself, but at the same time I try to control the situation, so that it wouldn't get worse. 

It's very hard to control my thoughts during hard times. Please do dua for me to forgive myself and being patient and forgiving to others.

I can understand how it's difficult to trust and seek Allah during hard times. And I think we can all do better at growing in forgiveness and patients for ourselves and others...I know I need to! Prayers for you, my friend. God bless!!

• Advanced Member
44 minutes ago, sfayew said:

Thank you so much for sharing! I am so sorry about what happened to your brother's friend and his family. There is so much tragedy in this world. When things are difficult, my only hope is in Allah. But I also agree that there are different ways that people respond to hardships. There have certainly been times when my struggles have caused me to question "why" and to doubt Allah's plan. But I believe that He works all things together for good, and I pray that both good times and bad will help me walk more closely with him.

One other thought...You say that you are glad Allah has chosen you to be his slave. I think in a way, I serve him as a slave because he is my master, but I also believe that we can be God's friends. I believe He loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. I pray that you will know his love and mercy for you!

Blessings to you, my friend!

Thank you sister for your kind words. Alhamdulilah I learnt to love Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) before I learnt to fear Him, now I’m just trying to balance the two in building that relationship you speak of.

Blessings to you too sister!

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I constantly do Dua. But when you are going through a hard time it makes you do Dua more, it makes you to closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). So thank and praise Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for everything, because that horrible thing that happens to you could make you closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and might be your key to Jannah

Edited by Ansur Shiat Ali
  • Advanced Member
34 minutes ago, Mariam17 said:

Thank you sister for your kind words. Alhamdulilah I learnt to love Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) before I learnt to fear Him, now I’m just trying to balance the two in building that relationship you speak of.

Blessings to you too sister!

That is a hard balance to find. But a relationship with Allah is worth the journey, no matter how difficult at times.

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Ansur Shiat Ali said:

I constantly do Dua. But when you are going through a hard time it makes you do Dua more, it makes you to closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). So thank and praise Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for everything, because that horrible thing that happens to you could make you closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and might be your key to Jannah

Yes, I do praise Allah for everything that brings me closer to Him, even the hard times. But I don't believe that I you can get to Paradise through dua or any other religious work, but only through faith in Isa al Masih.