Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does Jesus still have a body?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Hi,

This question is aimed at Trinitarian Christians. Do you believe Jesus still has a physical body, and will have one for eternity?

If so, wouldn't this mean that God has changed, since pre-incarnation the Godhead was made up of 3 person, none of whom had a body, and post-incarnation one of the 3 persons now has a body?

And if not, what happened to the human part of Jesus?

• Advanced Member

First Let’s give them a measuring rod and considerations.

1. Measuring rod: Mathew 5:17 17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” 

2. Deuteronomy 4:15-19 

“15And you shall watch yourselves very well, for you did not see any form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire.

16Lest you become corrupt and make for yourselves a graven image, the representation of any form, the likeness of male or female,

17the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the heaven,

18the likeness of anything that crawls on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters, beneath the earth.

19And lest you lift up your eyes to heaven, and see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, which the Lord your God assigned to all peoples under the entire heaven, and be drawn away to prostrate yourselves before them and worship them.”

Exodus 20:4

“You shall not make for yourselves a graven image or any LIKENESS which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth.”

3. Exodus 20:2 

“I am the Lord, your God, who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the houses of bondage. You shall have no other gods upon My face.” 

4. John 17:3-4

“3Now this is eternal life(salvation): that they know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. 4I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work You gave me to do.”

John 20:17

17Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ”

5. Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, not a Son of Man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Before there was no God formed, And there will be none after me” -Isaiah 43:10

“I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me” - Isaiah 44:6

“ I am the Lord, and there is no other; Beside me there is no god” Isaiah 45:5 

“Surely God is with you and there is none else, No other God.” Isaiah 45:14

“Is it not I, The Lord? And there is No other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior,There is none except Me” Isaiah 45:21

“I am God, and there’s no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me” Isaiah 46:9 

Isaiah 40:25 “To whom will you compare Me? Or is my equal? Says the Holy One.

Isaiah 40:18 To whom will you liken God? To what image will you compare Him?

Isaiah 46:5 “With whom will you compare Me or count Me equal ? To whom will you compare Me so we are alike?” Says the Lord”

2 chronicles 6:18

18But will God indeed dwell with man on the earth? Behold the heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You; much less this House that I have built.

• Advanced Member

This is a great question.  Here are my initial thoughts.

My answer is yes, he does still have a physical body.  And I believe that before incarnation / birth on earth he had a physical body.

There are many references to the "Angel of the Lord" in the Old Testament and some Christian theologians suggest that this is a menifestation of the pre-incarnate physical Jesus.  For example the person who wrestled with Jacob (Genesis 32)

24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.

28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”

Jesus will always have a physical body but it will be different from what we understand from our physical body.  We see from the apperences of Jesus after the resurection that he was able to materilise in locked rooms Luke 24 36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians 15:35-49 (Its a long passage so I won't quote it but do go and read it

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+15&version=NIV )

The reserrection body is something different. Paul suggests that it is like sowing a seed.  The plant that grows doesn't look like the seed that is put in the ground.

God made the physical body, because everything that God made is good, the physical body is something to be honoured and enjoyed so in heven there will be some aspect of that physical body which those in heaven will share with Jesus.

On this note someone has said that the only human made thing in heaven will be the marks of the nails on the hands and feet of Jesus.  An Interesting thought!

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

And I believe that before incarnation

So you subscribe to separationist theology since you believe God took on a form.

he had a physical body.

Then that means ur God is not Omnipresent not Omnipotent nor omniscient and he had an abode...if you days his abode is heaven then you know very well yourself you are wrong. You didn’t put into consideration the verses i mentioned which refutes the idea of God having a “body”. If God has a body then his not unique, were like Him. The fact that He has a “body” shows that crystal clear. 

For example the person who wrestled with Jacob (Genesis 32)

24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.

28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”

Didn’t I refute this. How arrogant can you be. 

Another deception that the trinitarian bring up is an example they quote, Malachi 3:1

1“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before Me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to His temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty.”

the say since the passage says “Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to His temple;...”  and the messenger is John the Baptist then this shows that Jesus is God. Little do these trinitarians know these verses are not interpreted in a literal sense rather it is an expression meaning God’s representative, an example is Genesis 32:28 in the Christian bible 

“28Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God”  

but in Hosea 12:4 it says he struggled with an angel although in genesis it says Jacob struggled with God, the reason being it is because the interpretation of the Torah translates these kind of passages as God’s representative not God himself fighting Jacob, walking on earth and etc at first glance it would seem their is a contradiction but that’s because they haven’t understood the interpretation of certain idioms, when a verse says God will come and etc it means God’s representative not God Himself. 

So in Malachi when it says “Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to His temple;...”  it is saying God’s representative whom you are seeking will be in God’s temple. 

The Jewish Bible interprets genesis 32:28 correctly while the Christian bible misinterprets the passage here’s the Jewish bible interpretation, 

29And he said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, because you have commanding power with [an angel of] God and with men, and you have prevailed."

These kind of idioms are common and are all over the Tanakh these passages are not be taken in a literal sense. 

Another example is Judges 5:4

“4Lord, when You went forth out of Seir, when You marched out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, the heavens also dripped; also the clouds dripped water.”  

God didn’t literally went out of Seir rather it was God’s representative, these verses are not to be taken literally.

2. Pslams 82:6 the messengers of God are called “elohim” are the messengers of God gods ? Jesus Answers that for you when he got accused of claiming to be God. 

that he was able to materilise in locked rooms Luke 24 36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

Who do you think your are fooling while I’m around leading the sheep? 

No where does it show Jesus going through walls...your interpretation is just a mere conjecture and a desperate attempt. lets look at the context.

35Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.

Jesus Appears to the Disciples

36While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

37They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.

the disciples were shocked and in disbelief that Jesus was alive and not dead when they the saw him. So when Jesus came in and stood amongst them they thought they were seeing a ghost and not really Jesus until Jesus told them to touch him and see that is is really him whom they are seeing.

40When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 

Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians 15:35-49 (Its a long passage so I won't quote it but do go and read it

Paul was dualist who believed Jesus was the second God and manifested himself as a human I’ve already shown that but you decide to be arrogant like always instead. No such beliefs that your claiming which has no basis. 

some aspect of that physical body which those in heaven

Heaven is a physical place Just like earth and humans will be resurrected, so humans will be humans in heaven not partially humans. And clearly you haven’t read some parables otherwise you wouldn’t be making such ridiculous claims which are nonsense. 

• Advanced Member

Yes, I believe Jesus still has a physical body. When he appeared to his disciples after the He rose from the dead, they touched him and felt the wounds from when he was crucified. He also ate and drank with them, just like any other human.

Luke 20:36-43 says:

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost.He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?”They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.

John 20:26-27 says: A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”  Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, sfayew said:

Yes, I believe Jesus still has a physical body

On 8/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, THREE1THREE said:

Then that means ur God is not Omnipresent not Omnipotent nor omniscient and he had an abode...if you days his abode is heaven then you know very well yourself you are wrong. You didn’t put into consideration the verses i mentioned which refutes the idea of God having a “body”. If God has a body then his not unique, were like Him. The fact that He has a “body” shows that crystal clear. 

Put these verses into consideration.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:31 PM, THREE1THREE said:

1. Measuring rod: Mathew 5:17 17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” 

2. Deuteronomy 4:15-19 

“15And you shall watch yourselves very well, for you did not see any form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire.

16Lest you become corrupt and make for yourselves a graven image, the representation of any form, the likeness of male or female,

17the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the heaven,

18the likeness of anything that crawls on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters, beneath the earth.

19And lest you lift up your eyes to heaven, and see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, which the Lord your God assigned to all peoples under the entire heaven, and be drawn away to prostrate yourselves before them and worship them.”

Exodus 20:4

“You shall not make for yourselves a graven image or any LIKENESS which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth.”

3. Exodus 20:2 

“I am the Lord, your God, who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the houses of bondage. You shall have no other gods upon My face.” 

4. John 17:3-4

“3Now this is eternal life(salvation): that they know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. 4I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work You gave me to do.”

John 20:17

17Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ”

5. Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, not a Son of Man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Before there was no God formed, And there will be none after me” -Isaiah 43:10

“I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me” - Isaiah 44:6

“ I am the Lord, and there is no other; Beside me there is no god” Isaiah 45:5 

“Surely God is with you and there is none else, No other God.” Isaiah 45:14

“Is it not I, The Lord? And there is No other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior,There is none except Me” Isaiah 45:21

“I am God, and there’s no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me” Isaiah 46:9 

Isaiah 40:25 “To whom will you compare Me? Or is my equal? Says the Holy One.

Isaiah 40:18 To whom will you liken God? To what image will you compare Him?

Isaiah 46:5 “With whom will you compare Me or count Me equal ? To whom will you compare Me so we are alike?” Says the Lord”

2 chronicles 6:18

18But will God indeed dwell with man on the earth? Behold the heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You; much less this House that I have built.

• Veteran Member

@Dave follower of The Way

Thanks for your response. My question would then be what happened to the physical body Jesus had before incarnation? Because obviously that can’t be the same body he had on earth.

And should we understand that the second person of the trinity has and always will be limited in space?

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

@Dave follower of The Way

Thanks for your response. My question would then be what happened to the physical body Jesus had before incarnation? Because obviously that can’t be the same body he had on earth.

And should we understand that the second person of the trinity has and always will be limited in space?

These are really great points.  My response is that we have to becareful about trying to understand the Godhead with our human 3 dimentional time limited framework. God is outside of his creation.  I understand that both Islam and Christianity say that God is separate and different from his creation so we can not put him inside our boxes.

In his grace and mercy God has revealed himself to us through the physical human Jesus.  He did this so we could see and start to understand, within our 3 dimentional time frame, something of his infinite love, grace, power and righteousness.

I don't know how God 'manages' (!) the physical body of Jesus - neither pre incarnation nor now, post incarnation.  Much about faith is just that faith!  If we could understand God, we would be equal with God.  But I do know that God has chosen to reveal himself though a physical human Jesus and that the same Jesus who rose from the dead with a physical body will come back with a physical body at the end of time to judge the world.

Hope this helps???!!!

Hebrews Chapter 1

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven