Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is downloading online pdfs for textbooks haram?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Check the risalah of your marja, or send in an inquiry. Generally, copyright laws are not treated seriously.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

@Mahdavist @AmirioTheMuzzy

1. Question: What is the ruling on copying computer software, movies, audio CDs and other such things, which bear the wording “All Rights Reserved” or “Copyright”?

Answer: Copyrights must be respected; it is not permissible, if it is against the law (obligatory precaution).

2. Question: A lot of books, DVD and software have copyright on them. What is the ruling if I photocopy a book or duplicate a DVD or software for my personal use?

Answer: It is permissible, per se, to make personal use of such copyrighted books and software.

3. Question: Can I use cracked apps , which I have not done myself?

Answer: If someone else has cracked the app, you can use it.

4. Question: Is it permissible to sell pirated programs, DVDS, and software?

Answer: If it is against the law, it is not permissible but you can use them.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01153/

So is it permissible? Isn’t the first ruling contradicting the bottom 2?

Are we to follow the law of the land if the law is neglected by 90% of students who share pdfs with each other?

Edited by Ejaz
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

Are we to follow the law of the land if the law is neglected by 90% of students who share pdfs with each other?

What I understood is that yes it is permissible to use only for personal use. I personally would not anymore do so.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

It depends on the copyright laws of your country, and they should be followed regardless of whether other people are following them or not. 

If it's legal in your country, then apparently it's permissible. If not, then it's forbidden.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
5 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Are we to follow the law of the land if the law

What concerns me is how "follow the law of the land" is a secondary principle that didn't exist prior to the rise of nation-states.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

What concerns me is how "follow the law of the land" is a secondary principle that didn't exist prior to the rise of nation-states.

It's not much different to the concept of treaties that were established between tribes in earlier times. Refer to the treaty of Hudaibiyyah as an example. If you want to coexist under a certain tribe or today under a nation then you should remain within the boundaries of their laws. If these laws are incompatible with your religion then you need to migrate, as the earliest believers did. 

• Advanced Member

What about downloading Islamic pdfs? Like not in terms of uni but to study. I feel like we shouldn’t put a price on learning about Islam but at the same time I do understand brother @Mahdavist point.

Also, what if you wanted to set up a website like al-Islam.org. They have loads of pdfs that you would otherwise need to buy. Does anyone know how they operate in dealing with such an issue?

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

If we don’t follow law of the land then wouldn’t it be like Daesh (l.a) where we see everything as Dar ul Harb. This would then result in some very questionable consequences to say the least.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

What about downloading Islamic pdfs? Like not in terms of uni but to study. I feel like we shouldn’t put a price on learning about Islam but at the same time I do understand brother @Mahdavist point.

Also, what if you wanted to set up a website like al-Islam.org. They have loads of pdfs that you would otherwise need to buy. Does anyone know how they operate in dealing with such an issue?

I believe that permission has been obtained for the Islamic publications that are available for free online.