Jump to content
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member
On 8/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, Mariam17 said:

Also, that apparently one should start wearing hijab (khimar) at the age of 9/10 (correct me if I’m wrong).

Wasalaam:

Question: When is a girl considered adult from the viewpoint of Sharia?

Answer: She is considered adult at the completion of nine lunar years (equal to about eight years and eight months and twenty days of the solar calendar).
She should begin performing her religious duties when she attains the age of nine lunar years, the age of puberty.
 
 
 
MashaAllah, it's really inspiring to read about your journey. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) continue to bless you and continue to guide you to further strengthen yourself. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless and reward you for your patience and certainty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
23 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Wasalaam:

Question: When is a girl considered adult from the viewpoint of Sharia?

Answer: She is considered adult at the completion of nine lunar years (equal to about eight years and eight months and twenty days of the solar calendar).
She should begin performing her religious duties when she attains the age of nine lunar years, the age of puberty.
 
 
 
MashaAllah, it's really inspiring to read about your journey. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) continue to bless you and continue to guide you to further strengthen yourself. 

Thank you brother for the information, kind words and prayers.

I was just wondering since this information is still kind of new to me, would it not be more appropriate to consider a girl coming into womanhood once she’s begun her mensural cycle? Do you know perhaps why the age mentioned above is so specific?

Jazak’Allah for your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

I was just wondering since this information is still kind of new to me, would it not be more appropriate to consider a girl coming into womanhood once she’s begun her mensural cycle? Do you know perhaps why the age mentioned above is so specific?

Hmm, well because, once our top Islamic jurists study our religous sources (Quran & Ahadith of the Prophet and his Ahlal-Bayth), this is the conclusion they're led to / the ruling they're able to derive on this matter...

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to answer the specifics, but what I wrote above would ultimately be the answer to your question.

You may find the following articles useful as well (not directly about your question btw):

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/what-taqleed-shaykh-saleem-bhimji

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/taqlid-meaning-and-reality-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Hmm, well because, once our top Islamic jurists study our religous sources (Quran & Ahadith of the Prophet and his Ahlal-Bayth), this is the conclusion they're led to / the ruling they're able to derive on this matter...

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to answer the specifics, but what I wrote above would ultimately be the answer to your question.

You may find the following articles useful as well (not directly about your question btw):

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/what-taqleed-shaykh-saleem-bhimji

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/taqlid-meaning-and-reality-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi

Sorry to put you on the spot brother. Insha'Allah I'll check out the links you've provided in order to better my understanding on this topic.

Jazak'Allah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest whitemustang

Salam'aleykom sister. I've been wearing the hijab since the age of 12. I didn't knew the concept of hijab then, but my mum wanted me to put on hijab, so I did. She didn't pressure me or anything, but I just did it. I kinda regret it now, for wearing it so young (although it's obligatory). I was really uncomfortable in my hijab and throughout my teenage years I was held back from a lot of things because of my hijab and I couldn't fully develop myself. I wasn't hold back by other people, it was just me in my mind that was struggling. I grew up with white people and my schools were pretty white, in High school I was the only hijabi and I knew one other muslim, that was it. There is also this islamophobic party in my country, and I knew a lot of classmates liked him, so yeah. Because of my hijab they knew I was muslim. I wish I didn't wear hijab back then so they would not know I was muslim, not that I was ashamed of my religion, but just the struggles of it.

I've had couple experiences too, but not a lot though. But I'd rather have someone be openly racist than nice in your face but racist behind your back. Anyhow, one experience I remember is that a teacher said I should take off my hijab. I've also had classmates disrespecting the quran. 

Alhamdullilah, now I'm more and more comfortable in my hijab although I still struggle. I am not ashamed anymore of being visibly muslim. If you get any comments I would just ignore it, unless you know someone is willing to get educated, but a lot of these people are ignorant and why waste your time and energy on them? Unfortunately they don't know the truth, but time will tell. This life is temporary, so focus on yourself and the good things, trust me, you will find peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest whitemustang said:

Salam'aleykom sister. I've been wearing the hijab since the age of 12. I didn't knew the concept of hijab then, but my mum wanted me to put on hijab, so I did. She didn't pressure me or anything, but I just did it. I kinda regret it now, for wearing it so young (although it's obligatory). I was really uncomfortable in my hijab and throughout my teenage years I was held back from a lot of things because of my hijab and I couldn't fully develop myself. I wasn't hold back by other people, it was just me in my mind that was struggling. I grew up with white people and my schools were pretty white, in High school I was the only hijabi and I knew one other muslim, that was it. There is also this islamophobic party in my country, and I knew a lot of classmates liked him, so yeah. Because of my hijab they knew I was muslim. I wish I didn't wear hijab back then so they would not know I was muslim, not that I was ashamed of my religion, but just the struggles of it.

I've had couple experiences too, but not a lot though. But I'd rather have someone be openly racist than nice in your face but racist behind your back. Anyhow, one experience I remember is that a teacher said I should take off my hijab. I've also had classmates disrespecting the quran. 

Alhamdullilah, now I'm more and more comfortable in my hijab although I still struggle. I am not ashamed anymore of being visibly muslim. If you get any comments I would just ignore it, unless you know someone is willing to get educated, but a lot of these people are ignorant and why waste your time and energy on them? Unfortunately they don't know the truth, but time will tell. This life is temporary, so focus on yourself and the good things, trust me, you will find peace.

Walaikum salam sister,

I’m sorry to hear you had to face such an ordeal. My heart goes out to you for your strength. I have friends that put on the hijab at the same age as you and they’ve also complained about not really understanding it. I feel we need educate our sisters on why we wear the hijab first and grow the hijab internally before wearing it externally. Growing up I didn’t know the true requirements of hijab and was constantly told by guys to put it on. And it didn’t work. I reached the age of 17 and actually realised hijab in it’s entirety. We shouldn’t do it for culture, or because guys tell us to but because of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) tells us to whilst acknowledging our beauty internally and externally through such an act of obedience to Him. What is sad is that members of the community, particularly boys (emphasis on boys not true men) are so quick to judge. Like I’m all for constructive criticism and stuff but not when people become condescending. I.e on my first day wearing hijab this “Muslim” guy who I worked with condescendingly and teasingly said “oh your hair is showing” and basically told me to hurry up and cover. Basically, even thought I’ve gone off track, what I’m trying to say to whoever is reading this is that we don’t know how people are struggling, if it’s their first day wearing hijab etc and that there shouldn’t be some hierarchical  pedestal for judging people based solely on the external whilst forgetting the most important thing- our internal hijab.

Thanks again for sharing your story sister,

Jazak’Allah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...