Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eids Coincide with Tragedies of Ahl al Bayt (as)

Rate this topic

Message added by starlight

This thread is about Shia narrations on Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha. Please stay on topic. All off topic posts will be removed. 

• Veteran Member

Salam

I do not know what the Shia ahadith say about celebrating the two Eidain, probably the two are ordained? This one is right next to the martyrdom of Muslim bin Aqeel (رضي الله عنه) and the start of the journey to Kerbala of Al-Hussain (عليه السلام). While the Ramadhan eid comes 10 days after the shahadat of Ameer ul Momineen (عليه السلام). To be honest, I have not felt like actually celebrating either as far back as I remember. Probably in childhood. Something to do with the soul I think. Very few occasions actually feel joyous to me. I celebrated the birthday of Ameer ul Momineen (عليه السلام) in Rajab in a grand manner because happiness erupted from inside of me.

While on this page I should mention that the current affairs also take a hefty toll on my feelings of joy. I can't help but think of those poor malnutritioned or murdered little Muslim children in various places around the planet. The scars of such things remain deep enough mostly. Being unable to intervene, feeling helpless and fury. Allahuma Ajjil Faraj Aal e Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)).

• Moderators

@The Green Knight 

Islamically Eid celebration would be wearing new/clean clothes, Eid Namaz, slaughter your animal+ distribute meat,visit parents or relatives.

Feeling happiness isn't obligatory. You can keep that for 18th Zilhajj. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, starlight said:

Feeling happiness isn't obligatory. You can keep that for 18th Zilhajj. 

Love it. Let’s not be joyous on the eid the Messenger was joyous on. No problem in suppressing our joy on those eids. But let’s make up and Eid and title it the “greatest eid” to shift our happiness.

And you guys claim Nahjul Balagha sermon 127 isn’t referring to modern day Shias at all. Delusion at its finest.

• Veteran Member
6 minutes ago, 786:) said:

Love it. Let’s not be joyous on the eid the Messenger was joyous on. No problem in suppressing our joy on those eids. But let’s make up and Eid and title it the “greatest eid” to shift our happiness.

And you guys claim Nahjul Balagha sermon 127 isn’t referring to modern day Shias at all. Delusion at its finest.

You do realize we do not put much stock in Sunni hadiths, and I have addressed Shias by asking for (Shia) ahadith on the subject. If we believed in your version of things then your post may have been worth something.

Thank you.

• Veteran Member

Can anyone here present Imams' orders regarding this? I've seen people arguing against celebrating Eid, both of them, on the basis of proximity of dates to events of Karbala and 21st Ramadan.

Did our 4th Imam and onward celebrate Eid? That is the question..

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum, 

I've felt this way too. But again, as far as I'm aware (please do correct me if I'm wrong) the tragedies did not take place on the same year. Yes, the eids are close to the tragedies, but I always take up those days 'individually'. For example, on Eid-e-Ghadeer, I'm solely focused on the wilayah of Imam Ali. And that is enough to bring me joy and happiness. Mainly because I'm celebrating the "wilayah of Imam Ali" and not the day itself. Once the day comes close to its end, I divert my focus back to the tragedy of Karbala. 

• Advanced Member

@The Green Knight Eid e Ghadeer is 2 days after the demise of Bibi Zainab. Just to keep count we have:

Eid al Fitr (9-10 days after the death of Imam Ali)
Eid al Adha (2 days after the death of Muslim ibn Aqil)
Eid e Zahra (10-11 days after the death of the Holy Prophet Muhammad)
Eid e Ghadeer (2 days after the death of Lady Zainab)

Hmm and you only question happiness on the first two? Please explain

• Development Team
1 hour ago, Ansur Shiat Ali said:

The hadith for Eid al Zahra is weak.

4 minutes ago, 786:) said:

Oh I know lol. I’m sure the brother considers it an authentic eid so I was just showing the inconsistency of his position.

This is off-topic. 

For OP - You are not alone. There are many who feel like this for Eidain. The love for Aale Mohammad (عليهم اسلام) is strong that it keeps one from celebrating anything for few more days. It's all relative I guess. For shias, the happiness of Eid-e-Ghadeer and Eid-e-Zehra (sa) is much more than Eidain. Probably the reason why many of us somewhat feel like celebrating Eid-e-Ghadeer and Eid-e-Zehra but not that much on other Eid. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

The love for Aale Mohammad (عليهم اسلام) is strong that it keeps one from celebrating anything for few more days

Seems a bit selective though. 

Is the love for Muslim ibn Aqeel higher than the love for Imam al Askari (عليه السلام)? 

• Veteran Member
16 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

This is off-topic. 

For OP - You are not alone. There are many who feel like this for Eidain. The love for Aale Mohammad (عليهم اسلام) is strong that it keeps one from celebrating anything for few more days. It's all relative I guess. For shias, the happiness of Eid-e-Ghadeer and Eid-e-Zehra (sa) is much more than Eidain. Probably the reason why many of us somewhat feel like celebrating Eid-e-Ghadeer and Eid-e-Zehra but not that much on other Eid. 

Salaam brother,

Eid-e-Zehra is the day after  the martrydom of our 11th Imam (عليه السلام) so really it shouldn't be celebrated either, no?

@The Green Knight - salaam, I don't belive there are any records that the Ahlul-Bayt didn't celebrate Eid years after a tragedy. So perhaps eid wasn't celebrated the year Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was martyred or when Hz Muslim was martryed. But thereafter it was celerated.

Eid-e-Zehra is literally celebrated the day after the martrydom of our 11th Imam (عليه السلام).

So if the Ahlul Bayt celebrated eid, then so should we.

• Development Team
6 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Seems a bit selective though. 

Is the love for Muslim ibn Aqeel higher than the love for Imam al Askari (عليه السلام)? 

As I mentioned, it is relative. Technically, love for an Imam is higher than a companion of an Imam, even if they are righteous. With that being said, Shias are much more happy and rejoiced than in other two Eid. 

This is my observation. We should do as instructed by our Imam. Please let us know what were Imam's (عليه السلام) emotions on each of these days and we will follow accordingly. 

• Development Team
4 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Salaam brother,

Eid-e-Zehra is the day after  the martrydom of our 11th Imam (عليه السلام) so really it shouldn't be celebrated either, no?

If you know reports of Holy Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) celebrating Eid please post. Just Praying Namaz-e-Eid doesn't suffice. Whether they expressed joy or sadness matters. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sirius_Bright said:

This is my observation. We should do as instructed by our Imam. Please let us know what were Imam's (عليه السلام) emotions on each of these days and we will follow accordingly. 

@starlight has already brought forward narrations of the ahlulbayt (عليه السلام), if you scroll up you will see it.

Regarding eid al zahra, you're probably already aware of the lack of authentic/consistent reports over the eid itself, since it has already been discussed several times on this forum, let alone the emotions/instructions of the aimmah (عليه السلام)

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

If you know reports of Holy Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) celebrating Eid please post. Just Praying Namaz-e-Eid doesn't suffice. Whether they expressed joy or sadness matters. 

brother - you have to bring proof that they didnt celebrate eid. In the absence of such proof, we are okay to celebrate eidain.

• Veteran Member

In Arabic eid means:

Root: عود - Entry: عِيدٌSignification: A2

[And hence, A festival; or periodical festival;] a feast-day; (KL;) i. q. مَوْسِمٌ; (Mṣb;) any day on which is an assembling, or a congregating; (Ḳ;) [and particularly an anniversary festival:] so called because it returns every year with renewed joy: (IAạr, TA:) or, from عَادَ, because people return to it: or from عَادَةٌ, “a custom,” because they are accustomed to it

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/18_E/236_Ewd.html

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

In Arabic eid means:

Root: عود - Entry: عِيدٌSignification: A2

[And hence, A festival; or periodical festival;] a feast-day; (KL;) i. q. مَوْسِمٌ; (Mṣb;) any day on which is an assembling, or a congregating; (Ḳ;) [and particularly an anniversary festival:] so called because it returns every year with renewed joy: (IAạr, TA:) or, from عَادَ, because people return to it: or from عَادَةٌ, “a custom,” because they are accustomed to it

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/18_E/236_Ewd.html

In light of this definition it is sufficient for one to refer to the qunoot of salatul eid , as taught by the ahlulbayt (عليه السلام), and the discussion is pretty much closed.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

In light of this definition it is sufficient for one to refer to the qunoot of salatul eid , as taught by the ahlulbayt (عليه السلام), and the discussion is pretty much closed.

I was thinking exactly the same thing 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, 786:) said:

Oh I know lol. I’m sure the brother considers it an authentic eid so I was just showing the inconsistency of his position.

Salam this Eid considers authentic  by grouplets likee Shirazi grouplet mostly for hate of Umar not love of Ahlulbayt  (عليه السلام) specially  Lady Fatima Zahra (sa) & all narrations  about it is weak but according a hadith from Imam Ali (عليه السلام) ' everyday  that no sin commits then that day is Eid " & also he said make all of our days Eid (by not commiting  sins)  that the Eid Al Zaha mostly emphasized  during Safavid era :grin: in opposition of Ottomans  that were honoring three caliphs & nowadays whole of Shia marjas except shirazi grouplet  leader is against  celebration  of this vague & hateful celebration same as their standing doing  Tatbir in Muharram & endorsement of  it by Shirazi grouplet that people like you are accusing  whole of shias to doing it when you have no other word against  Shia Muslims to act like a troll here.

Killing of the Second Caliph
Main article: 'Umar b. al-Khattab
Ninth of Rabi' I is considered as the day in which 'Umar b. al-Khattab was killed. The reason for this attribution is a hadith known as Rufi' al-Qalam.[3] The history of this attribution dates back to the sixth/twelfth century, but after a period of silence, by the emergence of Safavids and spreading Shi'a Islam, it was introduced as the famous view and a part of Shi'a culture. Attributing the date of 'Umar's death to this day has had advocates and critics:

Opposition of Marja's
Holding celebrations for the death of 'Umar b. Khattab has always been opposed by many scholars and Marja's. Muhammad Husayn Kashif al-Ghita', among the scholars of Najaf banned holding such ceremonies. Ayatullah Khamenei considered doing some actions in the name of pleasing the heart of Lady Fatima al-Zahra (a), actually the same as pleasing her enemies and regarded it against the goals of the Islamic Revolution of Iran.

Ayatullah al-Sistani advised that Shi'a should emphasize on the common points and said that paying attention to controversial issues has no basis. To Ayatullah al-Sistani, being the trigger point for division, even as much as saying one word or less is not permissible and the provocative language shall be obligatorily abstained.

About holding gatherings for Lady Fatima al-Zahra (a), Ayatullah Mohammad Taqi Bahjat advised to mention the merits of the Ahl al-Bayt (a), especially Lady Fatima al-Zahra (a) and explaining hadith al-thaqalayn. According to him, the manner of Ayatullah Burujirdi was the same. Also, about some ceremonies called Eid al-Zahra (a), Ayatullah Bahjat said, "Such actions may lead to bothering, harassment and killing of the Shi'a who are the minorities in other countries and in that case, if one drop of their blood is spilled, we would be the blameworthy or accomplice." Ayatullah Mirza Javad Tabrizi and Ayatullah Safi Gulpayigani too declared that actions which are sins in other days of the year, are forbidden on Rabi' I too and there is no difference between that day and other days.[16]

'Umar b. Sa'd's Killing

In Zad al-ma'adal-Majlisi said that according to a report, 'Umar b. Sa'd was killed by al-Mukhtar b. Abi 'Ubayd al-Thaqafi on Rabi' I 9

Beginning of the Imamate of Imam al-Mahdi (a) (the only acceptable  reason for celebrating  this day)

On Rabi' I 8260/January 1874Imam Hasan al-'Askari (a) was martyred by al-Mu'tamid, the Abbasid caliph; and Imam's (a) son, al-Mahdi (a) became Imam.[1] For Shi'a, Rabi' I 9 has been considered the beginning of the Imamate of Imam al-Mahdi (a) and "Eid" (Islamic holiday) when celebrations are held.

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Ninth_of_Rabi'_I

http://www.duas.org/eidzehra.htm

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
  • Moderators

@Ashvazdanghe Going by the arguments you gave above Eid Ghadeer should also be cancelled since it's the day of death of Caliph Usman. 

9 Rabi awal is the day of killing of Umar in Saad. About Umar ibn Khattab's death there is a conflict with some narrations saying it happened towards the end of DhilHajj.

40 minutes ago, starlight said:

Going by the arguments you gave above Eid Ghadeer should also be cancelled since it's the day of death of Caliph Usman. 

Salam Sunnis don't care about day of death of Caliph Usman & it's a cheating of wahabists against Eid Ghadeer that declared by prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام) &  Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) as Eid but wsahabists are opposing Shias & command of prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام) like they are celebrating day of Muharam based innovation of cursed ummayids to oppose shia muslims.

@starlight Salam I don't  see that any Sunni takes care about death of any caliph but I only saw some random mournings by wahabists  about Umar b Khattab just for criticizing  Shias but in general Sunnis only care about birth of prophet  Muhammad  (pbu) but they don't  care about his demise & death of three caliphs except that wahabists & Salafists  find a point in mourning for criticizing  shias for their death anyway wahabists  are against celebrating birth of any revered Islamic figure like celebration  of birth of prophet  Muhammad (pbu) &  for them mourning  for any dead person is innovation  (Bid'a) so for them prophet  Muhammad  (pbu) & other revered figures after death are just dead ones that you must not mourn for them because in their belief prophet  Muhammad (pbu) after death has no affection  in their life except that they claim that they hold his memory & they don't  worship graves.

• Veteran Member

The special, inevitable thing about the two Eids is that 99% of the people, the media, the holidays system, the politicians internationally all signify them way, ways more than other events of ordained joy. And that is why I mentioned them.

Personally, my question was pretty clear I think and only required hadiths of the infallible, nothing more. Only to learn if being joyful on those days is ordered or not in our fiqh. There was no need to blow the discussion out of proportion.