Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Reflecting on Abraham's sacrifice

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

At this time of year we are thinking about Abraham’s obedience in being willing to sacrifice his son.  This is an important story for both Muslims and Christians and Jews.  Let’s not get into a debate about whether it was Isaac or Ishmael but think about the message of the story.

The story in Genesis 22 includes Abraham’s son asking where the sacrifice was and Abraham replies “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

Later after God had provided the ram in the place of Abraham’s son the story records 14 So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”

One of the important names of God to both Jews and Christians is Jehovah Jireh, meaning “the Lord will provide,”

The story in the Qur’an ends with these verses As-saffat 37:104-107

We called to him, "O Abraham, You have fulfilled the vision." Indeed, We thus reward the doers of good. Indeed, this was the clear trial. And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice,

When I read these verses I ask myself why was this a great sacrifice?

What does God want us to learn from this story? How does it affect our faith?

Guest SuperBatSpiderIronMan
11 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

“God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

11 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Indeed, this was the clear trial.

Something is inconsistent. 

How is it a trial if Abraham (عليه السلام) knew God would provide lamb instead of Ismael (عليه السلام). 

12 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

What does God want us to learn from this story? How does it affect our faith?

There is success in following God's commands. 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

• Advanced Member
On 7/31/2020 at 8:10 PM, Guest SuperBatSpiderIronMan said:

Something is inconsistent. 

How is it a trial if Abraham (عليه السلام) knew God would provide lamb instead of Ismael (عليه السلام). 

I think this shows the different emphasis in the story in Genesis and the story in the Qur'an. 

Genesis sees this as part of the on going story of God's Salvation.  Although it is a test, the Bible focuses on Abraham's great faith in God.  Abraham holds on to God's promise that the whole world will be blessed through this son.  So although he goes to sacrifice his son he tells the servents to wait and "WE will return".  Expressing a faith that God can even raise the dead.

He is known through the rest of the Bible as the father of faith.  An example to those who believe in God to trust God dispite imposible situations.

• Advanced Member
On 8/1/2020 at 5:34 AM, shia farm girl said:

Great question..For me, i believe the whole point of him sacrificing his son was that he needed to free himself of the most beloved thing he had in this world, being his son, and to in turn, fill his heart with love for only God.

I like this understanding of the story - it is a challenge for all of us isn't it?  Are we prepared to give up everything, even the things we love the most, to serve and live for God?  It's my prayer that I would be among those people.

The story in the Qur'an and the Bible both talk about an animal being sacrificed in the place of Abraham's son.  I am intrigued that the Qur'an talks about it as a great sacrifice (Thibhin atheem وَفَدَيْنَاهُ بِذِبْحٍ عَظِيمٍ) and uses the word for redeem.

For me this story points forward to God's ultimate sacrifice.  I often wonder too what was the son thinking when he saw the animal die.  - Something was dying in his place - a ransom, as the Qur'an puts it.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

The story in the Qur'an and the Bible both talk about an animal being sacrificed in the place of Abraham's son.  I am intrigued that the Qur'an talks about it as a great sacrifice (Thibhin atheem وَفَدَيْنَاهُ بِذِبْحٍ عَظِيمٍ) and uses the word for redeem.

This is interesting. Ive never thought about this particular aspect of the account. 

We called to him, "O Abraham, You have fulfilled the vision." Indeed, We thus reward the doers of good. Indeed, this was the clear trial. And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice.

I need to refer to a few different tafseer as well as do some other reading. I cant say for sure if the Quranic account mentions a literal animal sacrifice or not. (Sometimes i get the Biblical and Quranic accounts confused:/ ) Its possible the "sacrifice" mentioned in tne ayatt quoted isnt a literal animal/ram, but rather refers to something else,  but i need to do some more research before going further.

Thanks for the response!

Im going to look into this further!

Edited by shia farm girl
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 2:56 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

What does God want us to learn from this story?

Obey God's/Allah(stw) commandment even if he orders you to commit suicide.

How does it affect our faith?

Learn to not question God's/Allah(stw) commands if you know it to be true, besically we become more aware of our relationship with God/Allah(stw).

Edited by HusseinAbbas
  • Advanced Member
On 8/4/2020 at 2:59 AM, HusseinAbbas said:

Obey God's/Allah(stw) commandment even if he orders you to commit suicide.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure our loving God would ask us to commit suicide.  He may ask us to be prepared to witness to the truth about him in the face of strong opposition which my lead to death.  But I don't think I asks us to seek out situations where we might die or kill ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 8/1/2020 at 12:34 AM, shia farm girl said:

Sacrificing his son was a means of detaching and purging his heart from love of other than God. In doing so, the prophet is able to ascend to a higher spiritual rank. The same for us, if we are to free ourselves from worldly attachments that cause us to be distracted and distanced from God, we too can ascend spiritually.

The more love of worldly things we fill our hearts with, to that same degree we become more and more distant from God.

I agree with this, and appreciate your insight. I believe that we must love God above all else, and it's easy to become distracted by worldly pleasures. And I agree that Abraham's obedience showed that his love and devotion to God was greater than even his love for his only son.

Thanks for sharing! God bless you!