Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What’s your thoughts on ‘Then I was guided’

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaykum everyone.

I’ve heard that the book Then I was guided by Muhammad al-Tijani is a good book especially for reverts to the Ahlulbayt school of thought. Has anyone read it? If so what’s your opinions of it?

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I have not read it (Inshallah I will and post my thoughts about it) the book is excellent in depicting the journey of the former Sunni scholar, within it he addresses many misconceptions/discrepancies between what was told about the Shia, as well as the inconsistencies with the Sunni school of thought respectively. I believe it is a book which is similar to Peshawar nights, but unlike that book which depicts a back and forth debate, 'Then I was Guided' addresses the anecdotal journey of the former Sunni scholar Al-Tijani with his consistent ratiocination until he was lead to the path of Ale-Muhammad. I definitely recommend reading this book, inshallah you will find it to be of benefit. After reading we can perhaps entertain the website which was created in 'refuting' the book I believe it will serve as a great way of exercising the material presented within the book and through its rebuttals towards the book we can use it as a means of reaching a more consistent and logical conclusion, after entertaining the opposing ideas posed towards the book and its author.

• Advanced Member

@Mohammad313Ali Thank you brother for the great explanation. My mother has actually read the book in Arabic and has said good things about it also. Insha’Allah I will read the pdf version of the book soon.

34 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I definitely recommend reading this book, inshallah you will find it to be of benefit. After reading we can perhaps entertain the website which was created in 'refuting' the book I believe it will serve as a great way of exercising the material presented within the book and through its rebuttals towards the book we can use it as a means of reaching a more consistent and logical conclusion, after entertaining the opposing ideas posed towards the book and its author.

Yes that sounds like a good idea. I’ve actually been trying to find a hard copy of the book so I can annotate and make notes on it but it seems to be out of stock or very expensive (at least on Amazon). I’ve heard that Muhammad al-Tijani uses a lot of hadiths and sources to back up his argument and was therefore planning to present my notes to my family as a source of evidence when I Insha’Allah make open that I am a practicing Shia. Starting online on the website you mentioned sounds like a great first step that we can do to spread awareness and knowledge.

Jazak’Allah brother.

@Mariam17 May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless and aid you sister in your endeavors. 

If you resort to using an online PDF version - https://www.al-islam.org/then-i-was-guided-muhammad-al-tijani-al-samawi

I recommend checking out this video by Jordan Peterson and implementing his tactics for retention which are better then highlighting/annotating. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless and aid you sister in your endeavors. 

If you resort to using an online PDF version - https://www.al-islam.org/then-i-was-guided-muhammad-al-tijani-al-samawi

I recommend checking out this video by Jordan Peterson and implementing his tactics for retention which are better then highlighting/annotating. 

Jazak’Allah brother, thank you for the resources. May Allah bless you.

• Veteran Member

Objectively it's not a great book, but it's somewhat of a rite of passage to read it (kind of like watching Nakshawani lectures). So enjoy it, but don't take everything in it as the absolute truth.

Other books somewhat in the same genre are:

https://www.al-islam.org/peshawar-nights-sayyid-muhammad-al-musawi-al-shirazi

https://www.al-islam.org/al-murajaat-abd-al-husayn-sharaf-al-din-al-musawi

7 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

I’ve heard that Muhammad al-Tijani uses a lot of hadiths and sources to back up his argument and was therefore planning to present my notes to my family as a source of evidence when I Insha’Allah make open that I am a practicing Shia.

Salam it's an easy  to read book that is mix of a self autobiography & journey book both spiritually & geographically of Dr. Tijani that he also mentioned  hadiths & sources further explanation of his experience in his journey  from Sunni Islam to Shia Islam.  

• Veteran Member
21 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

I've actually been trying to find a hard copy of the book so I can annotate and make notes on it but it seems to be out of stock or very expensive (at least on Amazon). I’ve heard that Muhammad al-Tijani uses a lot of hadiths and sources to back up his argument and was therefore planning to present my notes to my family as a source of evidence when I Insha’Allah make open that I am a practicing Shia.

What is your family's level of knowledge of Sunni Islam?

Please keep in mind that Tijani's book is not an academic one, and there is a lot of bad sourcing, and using sources that Sunnis don't consider reliable. That doesn't mean it's necessarily false, but it does mean that Sunnis won't feel compelled to accept it. So although like I said before there is no harm in reading it (and it will certainly give you an insight into the typical Shia view of Sunni Islam), it's not a book I personally would rely on if trying to convince anyone of the truth of Shia Islam. In fact, it might work on many Sunnis if they don't know much, or don't have the means of checking (which is harder in the internet age), but it could backfire otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Haydar Husayn said:

it's not a book I personally would rely on

What book(s) do you recommend brother?

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Haydar Husayn said:

What is your family's level of knowledge of Sunni Islam?

To be quite honest my brothers (at the time being) are simply born into the religion and are not formally practicing. However, my extended family are religious and have a lot of knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...