Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Playing Chess Is Sinful

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Chess seems to be an issue which many contemporary and late scholars differ on to this day, however, I simply cannot seem to wrap my head around it being Haram as it will evidently cause us to fall into much contradiction. Oftentimes when viewing the opinions of those who believe that chess is Haram they would simply state that it is a strategy game which was used by Yazid to plot against Imam Hussain, with all honesty this is preposterous, because swords were also used, horses were ridden, and many other tools/instruments were used during, before, and after the battle. Are all such instruments Haram to use as well? And then we have these strange narrations from the Ahlulbayt supposedly, where Imam Jaf'ar Al-Sadiq said that playing chess is equivalent to looking at the private part of one's own mother, such a claim is truly ridiculous and I believe extremely disrespectful to the Imams. The only way I can rationalize this saying is if the Imam has actually said it which I highly doubt it to be the case of there being a very particular instance that I or many are unaware of where the Imam sought to communicate to the general public in refraining from this game, due to particular reasons and circumstances pertaining to that era. And finally you have those who say, 'Well chess is an instrument of gambling, therefore it is Haram'. In reality such a statement cannot be farther from the truth, as it is very clear that chess is most definitely a game which is not designed for gambling, unlike many others which are seen within the casino. Do our scholars prefer that we abstain from chess prohibiting this excellent strategical from us to learn and play, while deeming other mindless games which serve no true benefit, nor cultivate any real skills to be a more 'Halal' substitute. The benefits that come with learning and playing chess are ample, not to mention that it improves critical thinking skills and enhances the prefrontal cortex within the brain. Within this post I not only hope to seek to derive a conclusion pertaining to the permissibility of chess, but also seek to understand the conclusions of our scholars which are blatantly erroneous, even to the layman.

The positions in regards to chess are as follows:

  • It is Haram in itself based on some narrations, this is the view of Sayed Khoei
  • It is Haram because it is a 'gambling tool', this is the view of most scholars.
  • It is Haram as a precaution this is the view of Sayed Sistani
  • It is Permissible as long as it is no longer a tool of gambling anymore. This is the view of Imam Khomeini, Khamenai, Sayed Fadhlullah, Sheikh Jawad Amouli, et al.

Of course I, and am sure many others would fall under the opinion of the fourth category, however, within this discussion I not only seek to understand why some scholars deem it Haram, but how could they deem its impermissibility over a great misconception? that being chess is an 'instrument of gambling' Within a matter of seconds anyone can easily deduce through a google search or cracking open a fundamental book on chess that it is indeed far from being such.

Why do so many of our scholars, especially those of such grand status deem chess to be Haram in many cases relying on weak Hadiths, misconceptions, and other trivial matters?

 @Mahdavist @notme @Haydar Husayn @shia farm girl @Muhammed Ali @Ali_Hussain @Abu Hadi @hasanhh @AmirioTheMuzzy

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

Salam,

There are reliable narrations prohibiting 'chess' 

http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/chess-is-haraam.html?m=1

However I agree that the reasons behind the prohibition of the modern game are a bit hard to understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
2 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Salam,

There are reliable narrations prohibiting 'chess' 

http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/chess-is-haraam.html?m=1

However I agree that the reasons behind the prohibition of the modern game are a bit hard to understand.

Glossing over the PDF it is critical to note that chess is not a game of chance. Also in regards to this supposed Chess which was outlawed in those Hadiths, brother @Ya Aba 3abdillah gave an excellent explanation. 

Quote

You realize terms that describe something are just that, terms, they're not descriptions. For example, if i was to say the definition of 'A' in the year 1000 is 'B C D E F' and 'A' is haram, it's written in hadith. Today, the definition of 'A' is 'W X Y Z'. Now a person that doesn't use their brain, takes it literal. A is A it's haram till qiyamat. A person that does have a brain would say 'B C D E F' is haram, however 'W X Y Z' is halal.

To take it another step:

As described here: http://en.wikipedia....istory_of_chess

These were the early 'Chatarangu' pieces

Lewis_Chessmen_Overview.jpg

to me, they certainly look like idols. Also "the uncheckered 8×8 board served as the main board for playing Chaturanga" and "Scholars in areas to which the game subsequently spread, for example the Arab Abu al-Hasan 'Alī al-Mas'ūdī, detailed the Indian use of chess as a tool for military strategy, mathematics, gambling and even its vague association with astronomy." which it is no longer used for, which demonstrates evolution.

Now this is where it gets real funny. Virtually no one that's banned chess, had banned checkers, not even (from what i recall, anyone's plz feel free correct me if i'm mistaken) Modarassi. Now, let's place letters on the white and black pieces to distinguish them (e.g. horse = H) and put them into place. The rules played are the same. Is it still haram? If yes, ok, move the pieces now back to how checkers is played (and leave the letters on the pieces) and play checkers. Is it now haram? No.

So what's the difference here? Because the horse (H) can jump over any piece, it's haram? But if i changed the rules to be the rules of checkers, it's now halal? What if i slightly modified the rules, i made it that the bishop can move twice in one go in a zig-zag manner instead of straight diagonal using the lettered checkers pieces. It's no longer "Chess", now it's called Ya Aba Banganess. Is that halal or haram?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

It's an interesting topic. I don't have any firm conclusions on it, but I have some questions.

If the Imams say that shatranj is haram, and then the rules of the game change, but it retains the same name, is it still haram? What if the name changes as well as the rules? How much do the rules have to change for it to no longer be considered the same game? Are Xiangqi and Shogi (Chinese and Japanese 'chess')  haram? Is Go haram? What about checkers/draughts?

My understanding is that the Imams (عليه السلام) allowed or prohibited things based on the halal and haram of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), but I don't think he ever encountered the game of chess. So is there some higher principle upon which this particular game was banned? If it was gambling, then clearly the problem would be solved by removing the gambling. If it's not gambling, then my view is the most likely other explanation is that it is haram due to being a waste of time. It's a legitimate question to ask whether a Muslim should be spending their time playing games like chess. These games can be very addictive, and take away from more worthwhile pursuits like acquiring knowledge, spending time with the family, or engaging in acts of worship. But of course, if we open that door, then we need to look at many other games (for example, video games), and other activities like watching TV. Nobody really seems to want to go there, so you are left in my opinion with this rather superficial ruling of 'chess' being haram, but many other possibly more damaging activities being allowed, simply because there are no narrations on them. But logically, how would the Imams (a) rule on games they hadn't encountered, or games that hadn't been invented yet, such as video games?

Personally, I think it's one or the other. Either all non-gambling games are allowed, or all are forbidden. The rational side of me inclines towards the latter option, since if I'm being honest with myself I don't think we were created to waste time with this kind of stuff. My baser instincts would probably pull me towards the first option.

Of course, you could just say that we don't know why chess was singled out, and rather than ask ourselves all these questions, let's just err on the side of caution, and not play it. As for the other games, we have no proof that they are haram, so they are halal. That's a sensible approach I suppose, but seems a little bit unsatisfactory to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

@Haydar Husayn Thank you for your insightful input brother, as you listed beautifully there are many nuanced instances in which an individual must be very considerate of, Indeed the era and time has changed and it is very plausible to denote that rulings which pertained to a game at a certain time and era, may not hold if said game was evolved or changed. The reason I believe or would even encourage the playing of Chess is because unlike all these Mubah activities of leisure which a person may engage themselves in, chess without a doubt serves great benefits to the health of the brain and to the strategic and critical flourishing of the intellect. For example the Prophet advised the believers to engage in physical sports and activities to enhance their physical strength, conversely the game of chess serves the same benefit and is consistent with the advice of the Prophet, but instead of benefitting the body it benefits the intellect. 

Any type of game like chess can be played in excess, therefore it is left for the individual and their self-control to be reliable in their us of chess as with any other sport, game, or activity of leisure. Personally I am seeking to learn chess so that I may not only benefit from the scientifically proven benefits it gives to the practitioner, but also use it as a substitute for other meaningless activities that are Halal, but pointless. Such as playing Call of Duty, engaging in small talk, or watching movies/shows. In reality we cannot always be engaging in activities such as reading, praying, etc because eventually such persistence will result in us burning out.

I believe that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) sought to also teach us a lesson when creating the heavens and earth in six days then resting for a day on the throne that within this is an example for mankind to dedicate a large portion of their time to pursuing their goals, but to also leave another small portion for resting and leisure, now do we use this leisure to play video games, look at birds, or write poetry this is up to the individual and their interests as long as what they're doing is fundamentally not Haram. I personally believe that a game such as Chess would be great to learn in the period in which a Muslim is seeking to rest from the strenuous labor they've undergone at work and or the lengthy periods of worship which they've engaged in.

If we really seek to delve into addiction and all these matters which are imperative for us to be weary of then truly it all goes back to our own discipline as Muslims, we choose our habits and our habits then become a means which influence our lives. If we have built a habit of reading daily, praying on time, engaging in all of one's own obligations as a Muslim, then what is the issue of setting a portion of your time to a habit of learning and playing chess which will undoubtedly benefit you in other important avenues and above all such time will not be squandered. 

I understand that Chess can be very addictive, but really if we try to be consistent with that reasoning as I stated in my OP then it will simply result in much contradiction within our lives, a more consistent ruling would be that any game or activity irrespective of what it is which causes a Muslim to neglect their obligations is impermissible. In the end we need to be very frank and say any games or activities that are highly addictive are Haram either due to precaution or for similar reasons, or such games which are apparently Halal remain to be Halal, until they result in addiction,

Although I want to learn and play chess my main goal is to reach a consistent answer and conclusion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
13 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

@Haydar Husayn Thank you for your insightful input brother, as you listed beautifully there are many nuanced instances in which an individual must be very considerate of, Indeed the era and time has changed and it is very plausible to denote that rulings which pertained to a game at a certain time and era, may not hold if said game was evolved or changed. The reason I believe or would even encourage the playing of Chess is because unlike all these Mubah activities of leisure which a person may engage themselves in, chess without a doubt serves great benefits to the health of the brain and to the strategic and critical flourishing of the intellect. For example the Prophet advised the believers to engage in physical sports and activities to enhance their physical strength, conversely the game of chess serves the same benefit and is consistent with the advice of the Prophet, but instead of benefitting the body it benefits the intellect. 

Speaking as someone who has wasted more time on chess than I'd care to admit, I'd advise against. I don't deny that there are benefits, but the harms outweigh them. To play at any kind of decent level, so that you can actually be said to be using your intellect, you need to devote hours and hours of your time to it. And that time could be far better spent on other things. Learning Arabic, or some other language, would also develop your intellect, and would be a far better use of your time.

They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they should spend. Say, "The excess [beyond needs]." Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought. [Qur'an 2:219]

 

13 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Any type of game like chess can be played in excess, therefore it is left for the individual and their self-control to be reliable in their us of chess as with any other sport, game, or activity of leisure. Personally I am seeking to learn chess so that I may not only benefit from the scientifically proven benefits it gives to the practitioner, but also use it as a substitute for other meaningless activities that are Halal, but pointless. Such as playing Call of Duty, engaging in small talk, or watching movies/shows. In reality we cannot always be engaging in activities such as reading, praying, etc because eventually such persistence will result in us burning out.

I agree that to some extent, and certainly chess is probably better on all fronts than Call of Duty, but it's still highly addictive (just ask any serious chess player), and overall a waste of time. If you are tired from reading, then watch or listen to something worthwhile, exercise, or learn a new skill. There is so much to learn in life, and we have so little time on earth, that it is a shame to waste it on a game.

 

13 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I believe that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) sought to also teach us a lesson when creating the heavens and earth in six days then resting for a day on the throne that within this is an example for mankind to dedicate a large portion of their time to pursuing their goals, but to also leave another small portion for resting and leisure, now do we use this leisure to play video games, look at birds, or write poetry this is up to the individual and their interests as long as what they're doing is fundamentally not Haram. I personally believe that a game such as Chess would be great to learn in the period in which a Muslim is seeking to rest from the strenuous labor they've undergone at work and or the lengthy periods of worship which they've engaged in.

I'm not against relaxation, but it would probably be better to look at the example of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) for examples of how we should spend that time.

13 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

If we really seek to delve into addiction and all these matters which are imperative for us to be weary of then truly it all goes back to our own discipline as Muslims, we choose our habits and our habits then become a means which influence our lives. If we have built a habit of reading daily, praying on time, engaging in all of one's own obligations as a Muslim, then what is the issue of setting a portion of your time to a habit of learning and playing chess which will undoubtedly benefit you in other important avenues and above all such time will not be squandered. 

I think you are seriously overestimating the benefits learning chess will bring you. Trust me, it's nothing that spectacular, and to obtain those benefits you will need to make a significant investment in time. Dabbling in it here and there isn't going to work, and it's once you get serious about the game that you are most at risk of becoming addicted. It's easy to think in advance that it won't happen, but you don't know until you are in that position.

13 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I understand that Chess can be very addictive, but really if we try to be consistent with that reasoning as I stated in my OP then it will simply result in much contradiction within our lives, a more consistent ruling would be that any game or activity irrespective of what it is which causes a Muslim to neglect their obligations is impermissible. In the end we need to be very frank and say any games or activities that are highly addictive are Haram either due to precaution or for similar reasons, or such games which are apparently Halal remain to be Halal, until they result in addiction,

Although I want to learn and play chess my main goal is to reach a consistent answer and conclusion. 

It's not just an addiction issue, or neglecting your obligations, it's about whether what you are doing is worthwhile, compared to the thousands of other things you could be doing instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

@Haydar Husayn Your points are excellent and I will certainly consider them, I did go over some chess forums and saw that as you said nearly all advanced players were suffering from an addiction to the game, and one article says that in order for an individual to become an expert at the game they would need to dedicate at least 10,000 hours of gameplay. As a scale of comparison on average it takes only 480 hours to reach a basic level of fluency within a language. So in this case it would be best to refrain from the game of chess as an obligatory precaution? 

Also what is your take on Sudoku and do you think it will fall under the same or similar category. Should we take it as a general rule to refrain from although intellectually engaging yet time consuming games in order to pursue greater conjectures with such time?

Many do not seek to pursue a lifestyle based on knowledge and would instead love to dedicate their time to chess as it is a hobby which they are passionate about, taking that case into consideration chess or other similar games/activities are discouraged for the seeker of knowledge, but for the layman it would be consistent to say that it is permissible?

Therefore, on a personal level it is best to not spend time on this activity, but as a general rule it is Haram if it causes a Muslim to neglect their obligations with consideration that it is best, as with any other Halal activity to spend that time in greater pursuits. For the sake of consistency this would be a reasonable and sound conclusion?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

And then we have these strange narrations from the Ahlulbayt supposedly, where Imam Jaf'ar Al-Sadiq said that playing chess is equivalent to looking at the private part of one's own mother, such a claim is truly ridiculous and I believe extremely disrespectful to the Imams.

Quote

امام صادق -علیه السلام :بیع الشطرنج حرام و أکل ثمنه سحت واتخاذها کفر واللعب بها شرک والسلام علی اللاهی بها معصیة وکبیرة موبقة والخائض فیها یده کالخائض یده فی لحم الخنزیر لاصلاة له حتی یغسل یده کما یغسلها من مَس لحما الخنزیر

۷۹.    ↑ وسائل الشیعه، ج۱۲، ص۲۴۱.

Wasa'il al-Shi'a , v 12 , p 241 (book of trade)

Chess is forbidden and its money is filthy, and taking chess is blasphemy and playing with it is polytheism and 

Greetings to the chess player  is a great sin that has  punishment of the Hereafter, and whoever touches it, as if he has touched pork, so that if he does not wash his hand , his prayer is not correct as ones  that touches meat of pig  .

however    

The hadith is not accepted; Because no jurist has said that if someone plays chess, he should wash his hand and it  becomes najis. This distorts the argument for this hadith that even you accept the hadith so it just talks about gambling  type of chess playing .

http://wikifeqh.ir/مباحث_شطرنج#روایت امام صادق

http://lib.eshia.ir/11025/17/323/بیع_الشطرنج_حرام

http://www.imam-khomeini.ir/fa/c76_15188/پرسش_و_پاسخ/امام/با_توجه_به_حرمت_شطرنج_از_دیدگاه_بسیاری_از_علما_و_احادیثی_که_در_این_مورد_وجود_دارد_امام_خمینی_چگونه_حکم_حلال_بودن_شطرنج_ر ...

http://fa.wikishia.net/view/شطرنج

https://article.tebyan.net/211466/حکم-شطرنج-و-آلات-موسیقی

http://lib.eshia.ir/search/11025/بیع_الشطرنج_حرام?http://lib.eshia.ir/11025/12/241

http://lib.eshia.ir/11025/17/323/بیع_الشطرنج_حرام

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest nope!Monad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chess

In Sanskrit, "chaturanga" (चतुरङ्ग) literally means "having four limbs (or parts)" and in epic poetry often means "army" (the four parts are elephants, chariots, horsemen, foot soldiers).[6] The name came from a battle formation mentioned in the Indian epic Mahabharata.[9] The game chaturanga was a battle-simulation game[6] which rendered Indian military strategy of the time.[20]

Chess is based on war. The idea of conquering another. Using a particular mind set to out maneuver your enemy using particular strategies and tactics. It is a learned skill that even seduces the unintelligent to become intelligent. The learned can then apply this to other various areas of life as the mind is now conditioned to think in favour of themselves before acting. This goes against the tenants of religiousity as religions prefer quiet subordinates who agree the premise of life based on natural selection, also known as the disposition one is given by God.  

We can also doubt that chess wasn't the only type of game that was being played during the times of old, considering humans always needed a form entertainment. Apparently rousing with poetry was legitimate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
5 hours ago, Guest nope!Monad said:

It is a learned skill that even seduces the unintelligent to become intelligent.

I don't see why this motivation is inherently bad?

5 hours ago, Guest nope!Monad said:

The learned can then apply this to other various areas of life as the mind is now conditioned to think in favour of themselves before acting. This goes against the tenants of religiousity as religions prefer quiet subordinates who agree the premise of life based on natural selection, also known as the disposition one is given by God.  

This is hyperbole, a person can use these strategical skills to think in favor of their group or community, because essentially victory with chess can only be reached through a collective effort of strategy between all board members or chess pieces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
23 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

It is Haram because it is a 'gambling tool', this is the view of most scholars.

Well, Sayed al Sistani (may Allah keep him with us) says that using playing cards is Halal as long as you are not gambling. 

I really don't want to get into if building or make a sculpture is Halal or Haram, but as long as you are not worshiping it (astghfirallah) than its okay.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Just now, Ansur Shiat Ali said:

playing cards is Halal as long as you are not gambling. 

Could you share the ruling brother, it is interesting that he would deem cards as Halal, since unlike chess they are a very common instrument of gambling. I am perplexed over why his position when it comes to chess differs, there is definitely a deeper issue as brother Haydar alluded to when it comes to playing chess. Allah knows best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Could you share the ruling brother, it is interesting that he would deem cards as Halal, since unlike chess they are a very common instrument of gambling. I am perplexed over why his position when it comes to chess differs, there is definitely a deeper issue as brother Haydar alluded to when it comes to playing chess. Allah knows best.

Question: Is it permissible to play games without betting, with those games which are not known as gambling games, such as Snakes & Ladders, Monopoly, and others which a dice is used?

Answer: There is no problem in playing with those games which are not known for gambling, even with the use of a dice.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01202/

Say I'm using plain cards to play my own game, that's not known for betting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
1 minute ago, Ansur Shiat Ali said:

Say I'm using plain cards to play my own game, that's not known for betting.

I believe this would pertain to a game like UNO

image.jpeg.5fe4ff3a97d2138cc6e78d9ee10c6228.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I believe this would pertain to a game like UNO

image.jpeg.5fe4ff3a97d2138cc6e78d9ee10c6228.jpeg

I love UNO, and it's origin really isn't for betting. So its Halal. <------ I'm going off my own knowledge because I have seen any Marjas talk about UNO

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Why do Muslims make everything haram out of their own volition? Chess and any other game, be it a board game or an electronic game can involve gambling but what should matter is the intention behind the player. We don't play chess to worship the pieces we are playing with, we (or at least I) have never played it with the intent of gambling, so what possible faulty rationale can an obnoxious Muslim come to me with, telling me it's haram. These are the same type of people that say oh, A and B are haram therefore C must be haram, when everything haram must be explicitly stated by none other than God Himself.  

At this point, we are becoming no different to Christians. Maybe another 200 years... a truly depressing state of affairs. 

Edited by A_A
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Guest Monad
13 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

This is hyperbole, a person can use these strategical skills to think in favor of their group or community,

you did manage to answer this correctly, A society consists of many persons that determines many type of minds which will support personal goals. Your wrote based on a personal idea which were responded by personal opinions.

Ashvazdanghe

Good reminder, however the religious text should have been explict with their reasonings instead of giving ambigious authoritative responses that cause more confusion. If we were told, that this game is based on a particular type of occult, idolatry theme with evidence, then the human mind could step away from it without dissenion. At the same time these occultist are just deluded, but follow this delusions due to economic prosperity.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Alhamdulilah, 

Very good question, Astaghfir’Allah I played chess in my teenager years and early twenties. I became very good and well known in my city where ranked chess players frequently went to play. For me it was Islam, School, and chess. Chess took a lot of my time but compared to all the trouble other kids my age were getting into maybe chess also kept my mind focused on something that I thought at the time was more constructive? 

I stopped playing once I found out it was not halal to play. I wasn’t sad because I had already made a transition of not playing anymore due to the ego of the game. I have defeated many men at chess and watching the ego of losing at this mental strategy game which is not handled well by many. This ego made me not like the game. 

As a African American Muslim I played a white guy one time who intentionally knocked the pieces of the board over because I was beating him. He tried not to be blatant about it, but it was evident he was bothered about losing to a black guy. At this time I was my height of being very knowledgeable of the game, so when he knocked over the pieces each time I knew exactly where each piece went on the board prior to him knocking over pieces. 

Before I give some opinions I will say that when Allah created the earth he didn’t need rest on the 6th day. Allah is not one who needs rest or gets tired or needs sustenance. He is free of human needs and doesn’t even need our prayers. Our prayers are for our sake. 

As for chess playing, I have seen the hadiths pertaining to it on Sunni side and Shia side. I use to have the same logical questions seen in most of this thread dealing with chess. I also use to look at chess in a training of the mind sort of way like that of physical training. As a youth I thought it helped me to improve being more strategic not just in chess but in life. 

I guess if you look at when two players sit down to play chess those players believe they are better at planning and being strategic and therefore a person can get caught into the ego mindset of believing that they are master planners. Allah says in the Quran that there are those who plot and plan but it is Allah who is the best of planners. So if one is playing chess thinking he is the best of planners he is definitely putting himself on a not worthy pedestal which would make this haram. Many men go on to use chess strategy in life thinking they are master planners in general and specifically against Allah and his creation. 

Chess can be deemed a game of chance like any other game. The destiny of winning is not really in our hands. Honestly any game can become a game of chance and gambling and chess is no different. I have read hadiths about Muslim horse racers being allowed to race and bet amongst each other based on the fact that they may improve in being a better soldier for the pleasure of Allah on the battle field. One may argue that chess is the same way in training for the battlefield. I guess only Allah knows the heart of the one training rather it be in chess or at horse racing. 

I don’t know the history of chess amongst pagan worshippers but I would imagine creating pieces derived from so called pagan gods would also Make this game haram. 

Alhamdulilah, some can make a case as to why it’s halal and why it’s haraam. I use to enjoy a good game amongst my Muslim friends outside  of my competitive circle, but I don’t play any more and have gotten rid of my boards and pieces.  Do I miss it? Not really. Allah has already removed the passion of the game from my heart. We have to remember to not let a passion for something over take the passion we should have for glorifying Allah. Anything that gets in way of us glorifying The Most High becomes haram. Worldly things that take us away from the path should be limited and worldly things that makes us neglectful of our duties to Allah should be eliminated from our lives all together. To me chess is no different than any other worldly activity. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, Guest Monad said:

Good reminder, however the religious text should have been explict with their reasonings instead of giving ambigious authoritative responses that cause more confusion. If we were told, that this game is based on a particular type of occult, idolatry theme with evidence, then the human mind could step away from it without dissenion. At the same time these occultist are just deluded, but follow this delusions due to economic prosperity.

Salam as you said , it's  a reminder but these type of occult & occultists being known in  our era after leaking their information that still categories  as conspiracy theory that majority of people  don't  know  or don't care about them that in era of writing  religious texts they were completely  unknown  to people & explaining of it to people was useless   but gambling & it's sin was known by them also at that era chess playing  was tradition  of gamblers like rich people of royal courts & monarchs .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 7/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, Mohammad313Ali said:

Such as playing Call of Duty, engaging in small talk, or watching movies/shows.

It’s okay to have some good time my friend, I recall a hadith of an imam ((عليه السلام)) who rebuked those who were extreme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
9 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

It’s okay to have some good time my friend, I recall a hadith of an imam ((عليه السلام)) who rebuked those who were extreme. 

Could you share the Hadith brother

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Doctor problemo de soluti
11 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Could you share the Hadith brother

It is haram because at the time when Imam Sajad ((عليه السلام)) arrived in the court of yazeed, he was playing that game. So whenever Imam sajjad saw someone, it reminded him of his great tragedy. Seeing this, all of his generation and followers disliked it too, for it hurts and reminds the cries of Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام). Sometimes, even a lawful things becomes a source of agony like Bani Israel left eating meat of camel, because Prophet Yaqoob (عليه السلام), did not eat it. And, like mention of wahshi who become muslim but killed Hazrat hamza (عليه السلام), hurt prophet (pbuhhp). Though his sins were forgiven, but prophet said him don't ever show me your face. 

I hope you will now understand that merely being game is not the problem. But, you will prove yourself to Allah that like Imam sajjad was aggrieved on chess, you feel his pain by grasping the situation that your father's head is on spear and your mother's and sisters without chador infront of an alcoholic [Edited Out] and he is playing chess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Guest Doctor problemo de soluti said:

It is haram because at the time when Imam Sajad ((عليه السلام)) arrived in the court of yazeed, he was playing that game. So whenever Imam sajjad saw someone, it reminded him of his great tragedy. Seeing this, all of his generation and followers disliked it too, for it hurts and reminds the cries of Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام). Sometimes, even a lawful things becomes a source of agony like Bani Israel left eating meat of camel, because Prophet Yaqoob (عليه السلام), did not eat it. And, like mention of wahshi who become muslim but killed Hazrat hamza (عليه السلام), hurt prophet (pbuhhp). Though his sins were forgiven, but prophet said him don't ever show me your face. 

I hope you will now understand that merely being game is not the problem. But, you will prove yourself to Allah that like Imam sajjad was aggrieved on chess, you feel his pain by grasping the situation that your father's head is on spear and your mother's and sisters without chador infront of an alcoholic [Edited Out] and he is playing chess. 

By that logic how do you justify wearing black clothes since the Prophet (s) hated them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Administrators

I have a photo of my niece Zahra, in a similar pose. But I've held off buying it for chess related reasons.

tmpQueen-Lewis-Chess-piece-cmcr38580_pro

https://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/lewis-chessmen-queen-replica.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
On 8/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, Guest Doctor problemo de soluti said:

It is haram because at the time when Imam Sajad ((عليه السلام)) arrived in the court of yazeed, he was playing that game. So whenever Imam sajjad saw someone, it reminded him of his great tragedy. Seeing this, all of his generation and followers disliked it too, for it hurts and reminds the cries of Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام). Sometimes, even a lawful things becomes a source of agony like Bani Israel left eating meat of camel, because Prophet Yaqoob (عليه السلام), did not eat it. And, like mention of wahshi who become muslim but killed Hazrat hamza (عليه السلام), hurt prophet (pbuhhp). Though his sins were forgiven, but prophet said him don't ever show me your face. 

I hope you will now understand that merely being game is not the problem. But, you will prove yourself to Allah that like Imam sajjad was aggrieved on chess, you feel his pain by grasping the situation that your father's head is on spear and your mother's and sisters without chador infront of an alcoholic [Edited Out] and he is playing chess. 

This can’t be right because the halal and haram of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) remain so until the Day of Judgment. So at most you could say it was makruh based on this, since it was something disliked by the Imams. But again, we are still left with the issue as to whether or not this is still the same game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
23 hours ago, Strange Samurai said:

Prophet hated them for wearing it as a normal dress because it might have ill-effects on your health and it was recommended to be worn in sad days. 

What is your source for that?

The narration is quite specific that he liked wearing a black turban, cloak and slippers.

Either way, I know what you are saying isn't true, I was just trying to make a point that the argument the brother used was based on faulty logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...