Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Haji family Gallery/Museum Tour 2020 - you can come too!

• Forum Administrators

OK so this year, over the school summer holidays we're going on a tour of major galleries and museums. I'll be posting here about what we see in art galleries along the way. 

Itinerary is week beginning: 

20th July - France

27th July - Italy

3rd August - Spain

10th August - Netherlands

17th August - Germany

24th August - United States

Links to galleries and museums along the way, so you can post links to images that you like. But do please keep to the schedule above. Halal images only.

• Haji 2003 changed the title to Haji family Gallery/Museum Tour 2020 - you can come too!
  • Advanced Member

What a great idea

Today I went to the Louvre in Paris and saw

The Lacemaker is a painting by the Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer (1632–1675), completed around 1669–1670 and held in the Louvre,

What wonderful detail and attention - The lady is so absorbed in her work.

The lacemaker.jpg

• Advanced Member

HI I'm off to Italy

Visted the Fine Art Gallary in Positano south of Naples

Really liked the colours and textures in the paintings by Roberto Di Viccaro. The deep blue of the sea and the reflections.

Picture.jpeg

• Advanced Member

Looks like I'm the only one on this journey.  Anyone want to join me???

Anyway I'm enjoying it - some interesting and beautiful pictures on the way here is one I found in Spain.  The Sorolla Museum in Madrid is dedicated to the life of Spanish artist Joaquín Sorolla.

I am someone who enjoys drawing with pencil this caught my attention.

Boats on the Beach by Sorolla

Barca en la playa

1903-1904 With three simple horizontal strokes, Sorolla is able to suggest an empty seascape, from which emerges a sail inflated by the wind on a boat. It is a drawing of great purity with agile and spontaneous lines. He gives life to iconic elements inside of his work such as the sails, the boats and the sea.

• Veteran Member

Halal Drolls:

On 7/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Vermeer

l thought this was a furniture finish.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:47 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

in the paintings by Roberto Di

Paintings like this always make me think the paint-smearer drew lines with a ruler and then smeared inside the lines.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Boats on the Beach

A drunken sailor allowed himself to be wind blown up onto the beach?

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Any pictures you like?

What would you recomend?  -  Do you have a favourate painter?

Yurii Annenkov, the Russian cubist.

l checked the images on the Net. There is one "nude" but the remainder are okay.

Too bad Stalin had his works purged.

• Forum Administrators

This is one of a series, I saw one of them at the Tate in London, the image here is from MOMA. It's called 0 through 9.

W1siZiIsIjcwMzExIl0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIs

• Forum Administrators
On 7/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

What a great idea

Today I went to the Louvre in Paris and saw

The Lacemaker is a painting by the Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer (1632–1675), completed around 1669–1670 and held in the Louvre,

What wonderful detail and attention - The lady is so absorbed in her work.

The lacemaker.jpg

Here's a gallery talk from the UK's National Gallery on Vermeer:

• Forum Administrators

^ I assume you've seen this movie about Vermeer it's an absolute must see if you want to know about his technique.

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Here's a gallery talk from the UK's National Gallery on Vermeer:

She got so excited about the pictures.  Interesting that we only have 30 pictures by Vermeer but each one so perfect.

• Advanced Member
On 8/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, hasanhh said:

Yurii Annenkov

Yes what a collection of different styles.  I like his pencil sketches - "The Cockroaches" and the "The Alexander Column"

His pictures of Paris and the portraits of different people  have so much atmosphere

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Yes what a collection of different styles.  I like his pencil sketches - "The Cockroaches" and the "The Alexander Column"

His pictures of Paris and the portraits of different people  have so much atmosphere

Before the lnternet, the only Annenkov l saw was one of the two surviving portfolios of Lenin he did.

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

atmosphere

l do not personally think this is the 'correct' word. Annenkov accentuated a subject's characteristics.

The head and shoulders of Lenin portrait shows how intense Lenin was, yet his Stalin-determined-incorrect pictures of Lenin thinking, standing with his hands in his pockets.

• Advanced Member

I love Amsterdam - maybe one of my favorate cities.  Walking the streets and seeing all the art shops and gallaries is amazing.

But I suppose Van Gogh is the one we should go to.

Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Sunflowers.jpg

• Advanced Member

@hasanhh Yes I agree with you it's not really my thing.  Van Gogh did some better ones but I prefer something more realistic.  I took this picture in my friend's garden last weekend.

sunflower small.JPG

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Mamluk inkwell, click link to see the whole:

Wow! what skill and dexterity!

PS.  Interesting to see that you have made links to places in the UK, but on the original list you weren't planning on going there!

• Advanced Member

clours.jpg.174a7ebb5996efbec51fe3429b7097f9.jpgI came to Birlin and had a look around - I love the city.  So much open space and also history both sad and liberating.

I thought I would go for contempory art this week

https://cfa-berlin.de/exhibitions/29379/die-unschuldigen/works/  If you go here you can take a virtual tour.

I didn't really like these. I couldn't work out what the guy wanted to say.  The colours though go well together, so I was disapointed with his black, grey and white offerings.

This was maybe my favourate (of a bad bunch) or am I too old and stick in the mud?

• Advanced Member

1878458107_Americanart.jpg.c8361fc37465387d641963b9428d2773.jpgSo we've got to the USA.  Lots of Native American designs and pictures of/by Black people.

I chose this one in the end

by a Native American artist Helen Hardin.  The website says "It is a work of exceptional drafting skills, and one that reflects her style of abstract composition drawing on her Native heritage."  I just liked the colours and the shapes!  What about you?