Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it discouraged to pursue marriage with a non-muslim?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Of course it would be discouraged. According to most scholars it would even be forbidden. Remember that this is potentially the person who needs to be the mother of your children. Do you think it is better for them to have a Muslim mother or non-Muslim one?

• Haji 2003 changed the title to Is it discouraged to pursue marriage with a non-muslim?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

While the Quran permits a man to get a married from the people of the book, some jurists have made it only temporary marriage since this person might be the mother of your kids (if you’re  permanent married) and might cause confusion in the householf or possible conflicts. 

I remember a while back, I’ve read on shiachat a Hadith which narrates Imam Ali saying, he perfers his shia to marry from the people of the book than from the opposition(I.e other sect). But he says (in the same narration) he also dis encourages marriage with people of Book since the kids will be confused and possibly go astray.  So in that context if you plan on having kids with of the people of the book then it is dis encouraged (atleast according to this narration that I could remember) but not prohibited though. 

Remember if she’s a Christian she has to be Unitarian. 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

I remember a while back, I’ve read on shiachat a Hadith which narrates Imam Ali saying, he perfers his shia to marry from the people of the book than from the opposition(I.e other sect). But he says (in the same narration) he also dis encourages marriage with people of Book since the kids will be confused and possibly go astray.  So in that context if you plan on having kids with of the people of the book then it is dis encouraged (atleast according to this narration that I could remember) but not prohibited though. 

I'm not an expert in the technicalities of this topic at hand, however, as supported by the hadith mentioned above usually what happens in most cases (speaking from personal observation) is that the children end up being confused and in a sense having to pick a side between mum or dad (that is in the case if the wife is not making developments in adopting Islam). Subsequently, a lot of the times the children get put off religion entirely and become atheist. Moving past the assumption within this post that the female may be a Christian, if she does not believe in the oneness of God then this will provide a conflict within your own beliefs and not to mention will be a haram relationship (correct me if I'm wrong). In extension to this (presuming she does not revert) speaking from a logical perspective, would you really want to be invested in someone who does not believe in one God after given information, and subsequently will be among the polytheists in Hell?

Hope this helped insha'Allah.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Mariam17 said:

In extension to this (presuming she does not revert) speaking from a logical perspective, would you really want to be invested in someone who does not believe in one God a

Our jurists are not aware of the trinity except a few, the ones that do know about it say they are not considered to be from the people of the book and are polytheists and corrupted. And that only a person Christian believes in the absolute Oneness of God is considered being of the people of the book and a man is allowed to marry her. 

What you said is true about if kids are involved. So in the context of this Hadith if a person decides to have kids with that non-Muslim person it is mukroh.