Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Strong Foundation

What can I do in order for all my major sins of all my life to be forgiven?

Rate this topic

Salaam brother,

Sincere repentance is the most important.

The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said,

He who repents for his sin is like one who has no sin.

Kanz al-`Ummal, no. 10174; Mizan ul Hikmah page No. 784

God's pleasure with a penitent person weighs over that of a thirsty man who arrives at water or a barren woman who begets a child or a loser who finds his lost one. Verily He will make the guardian angels, his limbs and all the points on the earth to forget the sins and faults of the one who repents and turns to God sincerely.

Nahj al Fasahah; Tradition No. 803; Page No. 114&115

Imam Saadiq (عليه السلام) said,

Imam Ja'far Saadiq (عليه السلام) narrates from his predecessors that the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s.) said, "Allah gives abundant sustenance to whomsoever He desires. Similarly the mercy of Allah is spread far and wide for the sinners day and night waiting for the person to repent and be forgiven. The mercy of Allah waits at sunset for the people who committed sins during the day to repent and get themselves forgiven."

Sawab al-A`amal, Page 232

He who repents is like unto a sinless person, and he who asks God for forgiveness but insists in committing sins is like unto the one who ridicules Him, and he who annoys Muslims is sinful to the extent of palm groves.

Nahj al Fasahah; Tradition No. 881; Page No. 125

See what is repentance according to Masoomeen (عليه السلام)

Imam Ameer-ul-Mu'mineen Ali (عليه السلام)] said

Repentance stands on four pillars: remorse with the heart, asking for forgiveness with the tongue, work with the limbs, and resolve not to repeat [the offense].

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 81, no. 74; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 787

You can also pray this namaz know as, Namaz of Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

Imam Jafar Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said that whoso prays the 4 Rakat Namaz of Ameerul Momineen (عليه السلام), comes out of evil whirlpool of sins, as baby comes out from the womb. The Holy Prophet (saws) said that whoso prays this Namaz and recites the Dua'a at the end, is absolved from the accountability of all his sins (provided no more sins are committed). Pray this 4 rakat Namaz exactly like any 4 rakat obligatory Namaz (Zuhr, Asr or Ishaa) on Friday or during the night of Friday, with the following adjustments:

(i) In each Rakat, after recitation of Suratul Faatihah, recite suratul Ikhlaas 50 times.

(ii) After Salaam, recite the following Tasbih of Ameerul Momineen ((عليه السلام).):

Allahumma salli alaa Muhammadinw wa aali Muhammad Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem Subhaana mal laa tabeedu Ma-a'alimuhoo Subh'aana mal la Tanqus'u Khazaaa-inuhoo, Subhaana mal laa iz “mih'laala li-fakhrihee Subhaana mal laa yanfadu maa indahoo Subhaana mal laa inqitaa-a' Limuddatihee Subhaana mal laa Yushaariku Ah'dan fee Amrihee Subhaana mal laa ilaaha Ghayruhoo

for the ones who would like to read it in arabic, I've attached a pic at the end of the post.

Thereafter, say the following supplicatory prayer.

Yaa man a'faaa anis sayyi aati wa lam yujaazi bihar Ham abdaka yaa allahu nafsee nafsee Anaa abduka Yaa sayyidaahu Anaa Abduka Bayna yadayka Ayaaa Rabbaahu Ilaahee bi-kaynoo natika Yaa amalaahu Yaa Rahmaanaahu Yaa Ghiyaathaahu

A'bduka A'bduka laa heelata lahoo. YAA MUNTAHA RAGHBATAHU. Yaa mujriyad dami fee u'rooqee Yaa sayyidaahu Yaa Maalikaahu Ayaa huwa, Ayaa huwa Yaa Rabbaahu Abduka Abduka LAA HEELATALI Wa laa ghinaa bee an nafsee Wa laa astateeu lahaa zarran. Wa laa naf-an wa laa ajidu man usaani-uhoo Taqattaat Asbaabul khadaa-I Annee wa azmahalla kullu Maznoonin annee afradanid dahru ilayka Faqumtu Bayna Yadayka Haad'al Maqaama. Yaa ilaahee Bi-ilmika kaana Haad'aa kulluhoo Fakayfa anta saani un bee Wa layta shia'-ree Kayfa taqoolu Lidu-a'aa-ee. ATAQULO NA-'AM Amtaqoolu laa Fa-in Qulta laa Fayaa waylee Yaa waylee, Yaa waylee Yaa A'wlee, Yaa A'wlee Yaa A'wlee Yaa Shiqwatee, Yaa Shiqwatee, Yaa Shiqwatee, Yaa d'ullee Yaa d'ullee, Yaa d'ullee Ilaa man wa mimman Aw inda man aw Kayfa aw maa d'aa Aw ila ayyi shay-in Aljaa-u wa man Arjoo wa man Yajoodu a'layya Bi-faz lihee heena Tar fuz unee Yaa waasial Maghfirati Wa in qulta Na-a'm kamaa Huwaz zannu bika War rajaaa-u laka Fat'oobaa lee anas Sa-e'edu wa anal Mas-o'odu fat'oobaa lee Wa anal marhoomU Yaa mutarahhimU Yaa mutara-ifu Yaa muta-attifu Yaa mutajbirru Yaa mutamalliku Yaa muqsitu Laa amala lee ablughu bihee Najaaha haajatee aS-a-luka bismikal ladee ja-altahoo fee maknooni ghaybika was taqarra indaka falaa yakhruju minka ilaa shay in siwaaka as-a-luka bihee wa bika wa bihee fa-innahoo ajallu wa ashrafu Asmaa-ika laashay-a lee ghayru haadaa wa laa ahada aa wadu alayya minka Yaa kaynoonu,Yaa mukawwinu Yah man arrafanee nafsahoo Yaa man amaranee bitaa-atihee. Yaa man nahaanee an maa siyatee. Wa yaa mad uwwu. Yaa masoolu Yaa matlooban ilayhi Rafaz tuwa- Siyyatakal latee aw saytanee. Wa lam utia-ka. Wa law ata tuka. Feemaa amartanee lakafaytanee maa Qumtu ilayka feehi wa anaa maa maa siyatee laka raajin falaa tahul baynee wa bayna maa rajAVtu. Yaa mutarah imman lee a-idnee min bayni yadayya wa min khalfee wa min fawqee wa min tahtee wa min kulli jihaatil ihaatati bee Allahumma biMuhammadin sayyidee wa bi-alliyyin waliyyee wa bil-aa-imatir Raashideena Alayhimus Salaamuj- alalaynaa

Salawaatika wa raafataka wa Rahmataka, Wa awsia alaynaa min rizqika Waqzi annaD DAYNA wa jamee-a Hawaaaijinaa, aa Allahu Yaa Allahu Yaa Allahu Innaka alaa kulli shayin qadeer.

IMG_20200713_100542.jpg

Edited by randomly curious

I have been to a similar position as you.

Do your Daily Prayers including Fajr. If you missed a pray today or yesterday, pray the qada prayer. - If possible calculate the number of prayers you missed and plan on doing them whenever possible. Check if your method of prayer and wudu is correct

How many Surah of Quran have you memorised ? - Work on that, have a goal like this month is to memorise this surah or to understand this surah.

Read Duas including daily duas and whenever it is possible e.g. set a date, this tues I read dua tawsul, next thurs, I read dua kumayl, on my day off i read dua tawba.

Try and learn more islam. e.g. Salat Al Layal, how its done and 40 muslims that you ask God to forgive

Self Reflect, what u have done in life, have you unintentionally or intentionally hurt someone. ask God for forgiveness. find out your weakness and strength. how to over come it.

Know this, if you end up repeating the same sins, still don't give up on pray and mercy of Allah, just focus on finding ways to overcome.

Believe in Allah

Do Good deeds e.g. giving blood, charity, helping community etc.

see this narration regarding surah qadr

Ibn Babuwayh, by his chain, from Al-Husayn Bin Abu Al-A’la, 

(It has been narrated) from Abu Abdullah (عليه السلام), said: ‘One who recites: Surely We Revealed it during the Night of Pre-determination [97:1] (Surah Al-Qadr) in his Obligatory (Salats) from the Obligations of Allah (عزّ وجلّ) (Salats), a Caller calls out: ‘O servant of Allah (عزّ وجلّ)! Allah (عزّ وجلّ) has Forgiven those deeds which you had appealed for in the past, so you can resume the deeds (anew)!’’

ref-

sawaab-ul A'amaal

lastly I'd say, if we Have these Narrations, this doesn't mean we should sin during the day and then come back Home and start repenting at night. always remember this Hadeeth of Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

Imam Ameer-ul-Mu'mineen Ali (عليه السلام)] said

Repentance stands on four pillars: remorse with the heart, asking for forgiveness with the tongue, work with the limbs, and resolve not to repeat [the offense].

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 81, no. 74; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 787

Edited by randomly curious

FIFTH CHAPTER: ZILQAD

ZILQAD

The month of Dhu’l-Qa’dah is the first of the Sacred Months to which Almighty Allah has referred in the Holy Qur’an. Sayyid Ibn Tawus defines this month as the month of responding to the prayers in hardships. The Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) is reported as having mentioned a great reward for those who offer a special prayer on Sundays in Dhu’l-Qa’dah, adding that their repentance would be accepted, their sins forgiven, their rivals made pleased with them on the Resurrection Day, caused to die on true faith, given the true religion, granted expansion and light in the grave, the parents made pleased with them, their parents and offspring had their sins forgiven, provided with expansive sustenance, and granted lenience of the Angel of Death and easiness of their souls leaving their bodies.

The method of this prayer is that one should bathe oneself on Sunday, do the ritual ablution (wudu’), and offer a four-unit prayer in each unit of which Surah al-Faatehah is recited once, Surah al-Tawheed repeated three times, and Surahs al-Falaq and al-Nas recited once each. After that, the statement of imploring for forgiveness (Istighfar: saying, astaghfirullah) is repeated one hundred times, and, finally, the following statement is said:

لا حَوْلَ وَ لا قُوَّةَ اِلا بِاللّٰهِ الْعَلِيِّ الْعَظِيمِ

After that, the following supplicatory prayer is said:

يَا عَزِيزُ يَا غَفَّارُ اغْفِرْ لِي ذُنُوبِي وَ ذُنُوبَ جَمِيعِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَ الْمُؤْمِنَاتِ فَاِنَّهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ اِلا اَنْتَ .

It is worth mentioning that a Hadith reads that to observe fasting on three consecutive days in a sacred month; namely, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, brings about the reward of nine hundred year worship.

The lofty Shaykh Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi says, “The rewards of good deeds, as well as the punishments for evil deeds, are doubled in the sacred months.”

http://alhassanain.org/english/?com=book&id=928

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

19 hours ago, Strong Foundation said:

I'd like to know how can my major sins be forgiven

The title of the post caught my attention

ALL my Major sins (what about minor ones? - is there a difference in the sight of a pure and holy God?)

in ALL my life (This means both past and future - its a big ask even if I only do one sin a day and I live till 70 thats 25,550 sins.  I'm sure I do more than one sin a day - gulp)

Then you say what can I do.  Are you able through your own work and strength and piety to remove the effect and consiquence of all your sins (even if we only think of major ones)  Are you able to earn enough merit even with 100% observence of the Sharia (whatever that means) to make God willing to forgive you?

I'm sorry to be so negative.  .

I believe that

18 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Sincere repentance

Is part of the key.  After that we must throw ourselves on the mercy of God and trust in the forgiveness and new life he provides.  If you are weighed down with the burden of these sins Jesus the Messiah said in Matthew chapter 11

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

This is where real and complete forgiveness is found.

22 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

ALL my Major sins (what about minor ones? - is there a difference in the sight of a pure and holy God?)

Presumably yes, since in the Old Testament God allows certain sins to be atoned for with repentance and perhaps some type of offering, while for other (major) sins, the penalty is death. If all sins are the same in the sight of God, then why the difference?

in ALL my life (This means both past and future - its a big ask even if I only do one sin a day and I live till 70 thats 25,550 sins.  I'm sure I do more than one sin a day - gulp)

Then you say what can I do.  Are you able through your own work and strength and piety to remove the effect and consiquence of all your sins (even if we only think of major ones)  Are you able to earn enough merit even with 100% observence of the Sharia (whatever that means) to make God willing to forgive you?

I'm sorry to be so negative.  .

I believe that

We don’t believe that we earn forgiveness though strict observance of the Sharia. We believe that God forgives those who sincerely turn towards Him in repentance.

And whoever does evil or acts unjustly to his soul, then asks forgiveness of Allah, he shall find Allah Forgiving, Merciful. [4:110]

Say: O my servants! who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether; surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful. [39:53]

I would argue that this is line with texts such as:

Ezekiel

21 “But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, that person will surely live; they will not die. 22 None of the offenses they have committed will be remembered against them. Because of the righteous things they have done, they will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

You have to be careful when studying other religions to not superimpose the categories from your own religion. What Paul days about Jewish Law, sin, or the nature of God is not necessarily relevant to what Muslims believe.

Is part of the key.  After that we must throw ourselves on the mercy of God and trust in the forgiveness and new life he provides.  If you are weighed down with the burden of these sins Jesus the Messiah said in Matthew chapter 11

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

This is where real and complete forgiveness is found.

I appreciate that this is what you believe, but there is no compelling reason for us to do so.