Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Zakaat, Sadeqa and Khoms - Please Help

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I am bit confused about them and how to calculate them. Especially growing in the Western Country, where we don't own sheep or wheat or whatever.

I understand Sadeqa is voluntary charity - I get it that.  I earn Around $62000 a year but I have house mortgage too which I pay by 1400 every two weeks.  Plus I have other costs too e.g. mobile plan, pertol, car insurance etc... so how am I suppose to calculate how much I have to pay.  Apparently one of these is like 1/5th of earning or something.

For Zakat and Khoms - Does it matter who you or where to pay too.

Can some one please in simple language explain it to me and the importance of where or who to pay to.

THanks

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salaam brother, may Allah bless you for being concerned about your religious obligations this way.

Watch this 2 part Khums seminar by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, a very well known and qualified scholar here in the West. It should perfectly answer your questions. He covers a lot of issues Muslims in the West may face:

Part 1: 

Part 2: 

As for Zakat, I think for most Muslims nowadays, especially in the West, Zakat doesn't apply, unless they're farmers or something. However, I haven't learned too much about zakat so you should check with a scholar or your marja. Also, maybe search about it on this website: https://www.al-islam.org/

Edited by AStruggler
  • Basic Members
Posted (edited)

@AStruggler

Sallam Brother. Allah Bless you for the kind and informative response.

I think some of us (including myself) only get taught the basic of religion but I suppose its difficult for a lot of people if they are moving countries around because of war and poverty etc.  Therefore some end up growing up not knowing some of the essential of the religious duties and may not seek to enhance their knowledge of religion. So it ends up being neglected or the fact maybe, there is more pressure on youth to focus on success, getting job etc.

Edited by Hameedeh
tag