Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Hadi5

Certainty : Imam Sadiq as

Rate this topic

Certainty

Certainty will take the bondsman to every sublime state and every wondrous station; thus did the Messenger of Allah make known the immensity of certainty when he mentioned that ‘Isa (‘a) walked on water. He said, 'If he had had more certainty, he could have walked on air.' By this he indicated that in spite of the majesty of the place which the prophets have with Allah, they also have different ranks according to their certainty.

Certainty is ever increasing, and remains so throughout eternity. Believers also vary in the strength and weakness of their certainty. A person whose certainty is strong may be recognised by the fact that he finds himself stripped of all ability and power other than what Allah has given him, and by his keeping to Allah's command and worship both outwardly and inwardly.

He considers the states of having and not having, increase and decrease, praise and blame, might and abasement, all to be the same because he considers them all on an equal level. However, a person who weakens his certainty attaches himself to external matters, and allows his self free rein therein. He follows the customs and sayings of people without substantiating them, and strives in the affairs of this world, accumulating its wealth and holding on to it, acknowledging and affirming it with his tongue.

There is no withholder or giver except Allah, and the slave can only obtain what he is provided with and allotted. Effort will not increase provision, but he disavows that by his action and his heart. In Allah's words,

يَقُولُونَ بِأَفْوَاهِهِم مَّا لَيْسَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ وَاللّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يَكْتُمُونَ

They say with their mouths what is not in their hearts; and Allah best knows what they conceal. (3:167)

Allah was compassionate to His bondsmen when He gave them permission to earn money however they might as long as they do not exceed the limits of Allah or abandon their obligations to Him and the behaviour of His Prophet in any of their actions, or abandon the spirit of trust or become caught in the field of greed. But when they forget this, attaching themselves to the opposite of what has been delineated for them, they are counted among the destroyed, who at the end have nothing but false claims. Not everyone who earns is necessarily trustful: from his earnings he brings for himself only what is forbidden or doubtful. He may be recognized by the effect his gains have upon him, by his insatiable hunger, and how he spends for this world without let.

He who is given permission to earn is one whose self gains while his heart trusts in Allah. If he has a lot of money, he is like a trustee who knows that having property and not having it is the same thing. If he withholds it, he withholds for Allah; and if he spends it, he does so in the way Allah has commanded. Both are for Allah.

From the Book: Lantern of the Path 
https://www.al-islam.org/lantern-path-imam-jafar-al-sadiq/

On 7/9/2020 at 6:39 AM, Hadi5 said:

Believers also vary in the strength and weakness of their certainty.

I've read this through and I'm not quite "certain" what the author means by "certainty".  Is he using the word for "faith?"

However, a person who weakens his certainty attaches himself to external matters, and allows his self free rein therein.

What is the "certainty" in/of?

I have certainty in the promises of God.  What he says will happen.  When he says "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (A word from God to his people revealed through the prophet Isaiah chapter 41:10) I am certain of this promise and trust God to help me in all situations as I journey with him.

My faith / certainty in God is something that inspires me and gives me confidence to face whatever the world throws at me.

8 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I've read this through and I'm not quite "certain" what the author means by "certainty".  Is he using the word for "faith?"

Faith is belief.

Certainty is firmness on belief.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, Hadi5 said:

Faith is belief.

Certainty is firmness on belief.

When I am waiting at a bus stop and see a bus going to the town center - I believe that is true.

But it is only when I get on the bus and pay my fair that I show I have faith that the sign on the front is true.  I am certain that what the bus company say is true and I act on it.

So in this case faith and belief are different.  Certainty is showing that you put your faith in your belief.

He gave them permission to earn money however they might as long as they do not exceed the limits of Allah or abandon their obligations to Him

The essay seems to see two things before people - trust in wealth or trust in God.  Is our certainty in our ability to provide for ourselves, or are we certain that what ever happens whether we are poor or rich God will provide for us?

In his teaching about not worrying Jesus the Messiah says Matthew Chapter 6

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Our first priority must be seeking to let God rule in our lives If we are certain of that then we need not worry about other things, we can be certain that God will provide for us.

In my own life I have seen God provide in many ways and each new situation I face I am certain he will continue to provide.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:32 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

When I am waiting at a bus stop and see a bus going to the town center - I believe that is true.

But it is only when I get on the bus and pay my fair that I show I have faith that the sign on the front is true.  I am certain that what the bus company say is true and I act on it.

So in this case faith and belief are different.  Certainty is showing that you put your faith in your belief.

The essay seems to see two things before people - trust in wealth or trust in God.  Is our certainty in our ability to provide for ourselves, or are we certain that what ever happens whether we are poor or rich God will provide for us?

In his teaching about not worrying Jesus the Messiah says Matthew Chapter 6

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Our first priority must be seeking to let God rule in our lives If we are certain of that then we need not worry about other things, we can be certain that God will provide for us.

In my own life I have seen God provide in many ways and each new situation I face I am certain he will continue to provide.

Is there hereafter after we die and Allah will Judge us. That is belief.

How firm we are on this belief is certianity.

Definitely our all actions and motives and gaols depend how firm and certain we are on this belief.

If you and we were able to see life of hereafter before death.

And we were told that we are going to die after 5 days.

How we would use those 5 days.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:54 PM, Hadi5 said:

And we were told that we are going to die after 5 days.

How we would use those 5 days.

Thank you for your explanation and the question you ask.  It helps us to understand certainty.

That there will be a day of judgment is a statement which we believe based on the words of the prophets.  We could say it was a 'fact' because we have ultimate certainty in the words of the prophets but as it hasn't happened yet it is still an area of belief.

As you say our actions reflect the degree of certainty we have in the statement.  If we are completely certain that there will be a day of judgment we will live according to the criteria by which we will be judged.  If we don't live a life like that it shows we don't realy believe - we don't have certainty - or we are irresponsible.

So your question reflects the degree of certainty we have.  My answer to your question is I would live no different from the way I am living now. 

I believe that God will judge all people and that he has provided a way to be acquitted at that judgment.  I have accepted the way that God offers and am certain because of my daily relationship with God that he will accept me at the judgment because he has made me clean and gives me power to live a life that pleases him.

How would you answer the question you ask?