Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest anonymousmuslim

Is it possible to not belong to a sect?

Rate this topic

Guest anonymousmuslim

Salam,

I'm in a position where I'm struggling with my identity as a muslim. Is it possible to not belong to a sect but rather just follow Quran and Hadith? And take practices from all schools of thought? There are parts of sunni islam that I agree with and there's parts of shia islam that I agree with too. I am confused and don't want to label myself as belonging to one side only. This is just one example but, I agree with Shia's using a turbah and praying with their hands by their side but also like the Sunni tashahud. Can't I combine both? I love the Ahlulbayt and believe in the 12 imams but also love the Sahabah. Surely this is just being a muslim and there's no need to divide yourselves into groups? Trivial matters like how you pray is up to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) at the end of the day and it's about your intentions.

I've asked similar questions because I know plenty of Christians who just say that they are "Christian" and don't belong to any specific sect and I was curious as to why Islam didn't have something similar to this.

If I ever find an answer that makes sense, I'll share it here

Guest Pschological Warfare

I'm in a position where I'm struggling with my identity as a muslim.

This usually, implies that you are very image conscious and would rather be seem/known/introduced as Just Muslim. Safe position to be in, saves you form judgments and you can we friendly, socialize and do business with ease. 

However, "They" are not the Masters of the Day of Judgement. So, you and others may want to keep this in mind.

I love the Ahlulbayt and believe in the 12 imams but also love the Sahabah

Let's for simplicity use Ahl-al-Kisa( The people of the Cloak). We all love the people who were with, supported, defended and stayed on the path of Muhammad al-Mustafa (peace be upon him and his pure progeny). 

However, you can't love the Truth and falsehood at the same time. Oppressed and the Oppressor at the same time. Unnatural.

Religion is not a Corporation- where we need to be Economically correct.

11 hours ago, 786:) said:

That’s it. The word Shia in the Quran must be the ultimate sign. Cmon, the Quran uses Shia in negative connotations too. Be objective.

The article that I posted presented both views negative and positive. Now, if you want to present a certain aspect of the article that you disagree with, then please go head and present your disagreement?

Guest muslim786

i’ve not got an answer to this but particularly curious to know if someone would be allowed to pray combining shia and sunni practices (i.e. as mentioned using a turbah and saying a sunni tashahud) ?

On 7/8/2020 at 12:48 PM, Guest anonymousmuslim said:

Salam,

I'm in a position where I'm struggling with my identity as a muslim. Is it possible to not belong to a sect but rather just follow Quran and Hadith? And take practices from all schools of thought? There are parts of sunni islam that I agree with and there's parts of shia islam that I agree with too. I am confused and don't want to label myself as belonging to one side only. This is just one example but, I agree with Shia's using a turbah and praying with their hands by their side but also like the Sunni tashahud. Can't I combine both? I love the Ahlulbayt and believe in the 12 imams but also love the Sahabah. Surely this is just being a muslim and there's no need to divide yourselves into groups? Trivial matters like how you pray is up to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) at the end of the day and it's about your intentions.

When you say "I like the Sunni Tashahhud", is this your personal liking?

If so, then you should stick with the Jaferi Madhhab.

But if you feel convinced that the Sunni Tashhaud is the way the Prophet Muhammad (S) prayed and you want to follow him (S), then you should definitely do the Sunni Tashhahud!  If you don't feel convinced about it but "you just like it", then you really shouldn;t follow your personal whims (hawaa) in these matters, you should follow God's Messenger.  

:)

Edited by eThErEaL

On 7/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, Guest anonymousmuslim said:

Is it possible to not belong to a sect but rather just follow Quran and Hadith?

Salam, 

Being a Muslim means you are willing to submit to the truth (Haqq), no matter where it comes from. You should submit to the truth and know that according to Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) the Truth is with Ali (عليه السلام) and Ali (عليه السلام) is with the Truth. You should follow your Imam e Mubeen in any case. 

Guest JustAGuest

You don't have to liable yourself but you have to follow Islam. If anything you do or believe contradicts the Quran or the Sunnah of the Prophet صَلَّىاللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ, that's a problem.

Definitely, no sunni scholar says it is acceptable for one to combine their practises with those of the Shias.