Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SoRoUsH

Definition of "Intoxicants"

Rate this topic

سلام،

Have the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) provided a definition of "intoxicant" for us? 

What is very clear is that all intoxicants are prohibited. What is not clear is what "intoxicant" means or implies. 

As I went through some narrations, it seems intoxication is almost always linked to a liquor or a liquid drink, whether it's raisins or grapes or ...

Would the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) have labelled non-liquid substances as intoxicants, too? 

As the scientific community is studying certain "drugs" such as psilocybin and MDMA and CBD, they're noticing significant health benefits of consuming these "drugs" under certain conditions. 

My question is, would these non-liquid substances be considered intoxicants, too? 

Are psychedelic "drugs" intoxicants? Clearly, the effects (عاقبة) of psychedelics and خمر (wine) are different, vastly. Are both considered مسکر (intoxicants)? 

Are there any acceptable narrations that may clarify these issues? 

Edited by SoRoUsH

If it's prescribed by a doctor for a health condition, I wouldn't see why a given substance would be considered an "intoxicant" even if it could be used as recreational.

I did see an ayat in a Surah in the first quarter of the Quran that said something along the lines of "We created for you strong drink from the date" which kind of took me by surprise because it seemed like it sanctioned the use of this "strong drink". I'll try to find it and post it if I can.

11 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

If it's prescribed by a doctor for a health condition, I wouldn't see why a given substance would be considered an "intoxicant" even if it could be used as recreational

Salam in other verses said that intoxicants like Alcohol  have pros & cons but their cons is more than their benefit also in shia narration said that you must not expect healing & benefit from medicine that made by mixing  wine with other ingredients  & about that Surah said that it revealed before total prohibition  of all alcoholic  drinks & also it states that from good fruit like date you can produce both bad & good things that in other translations instead of referring  to intoxicants  the other meaning like something  that cause strength & Joy mentioned  to avoid promoting using alcohol  by this translation.

From the fruits of date palms and vines you draw wine and goodly provision. There are indeed signs in that for people who exercise their reason. (67)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/16:67

And from the fruit of the date-palm and the vine, ye get out wholesome drink and food: behold, in this also is a sign for those who are wise. (67)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.yusufali/16:67

And also a lesson for you in the fruits of the date-palms and the grapes whereof ye take a liquor and a provision goodly; verily therein is a sign far a people who understand. (67)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.daryabadi/16:67

And of the fruits of the palms and the grapes-- you obtain from them intoxication and goodly provision; most surely there is a sign in this for a people who ponder. (67) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.shakir/16:67

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

And of the fruits of the palms and the grapes-- you obtain from them intoxication and goodly provision; most surely there is a sign in this for a people who ponder. (67) 

This was the one I was looking for, thanks