Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
~Fatema

English translation Holy Quran

Rate this topic

Salaam aleekum,

I have the following question. Which English translation of the Holy Quran is the most accurate to use? I see many different English translators but unsure which one is the best.

Hope to receive answers as soon as possible. insha’Allah. Thank you very much. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reward you. Wa’salam 

1 hour ago, ~Fatema said:

Salaam aleekum,

I have the following question. Which English translation of the Holy Quran is the most accurate to use? I see many different English translators but unsure which one is the best.

Hope to receive answers as soon as possible. insha’Allah. Thank you very much. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reward you. Wa’salam 

wa 'alaykum assalam,

The Ali Quli Qarai phrase by phrase translation is a good one, it also has the odd bit of commentary and notes about the different readings here and there.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

3 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

wa 'alaykum assalam,

The Ali Quli Qarai phrase by phrase translation is a good one, it also has the odd bit of commentary and notes about the different readings here and there.

Thank you brother for the quick reply. So Sahih International is not preferred? Where can I find phrase translation?

3 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

wa 'alaykum assalam,

Or can I also use Shakir? Yusuf Ali?

4 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

wa 'alaykum assalam,

Since I will be writing articles including Quranic translated verses and read by Sunnis as well, I would prefer a translator somewhere in the middle. Therefore not sure which translation is accepted by both Shia and Sunni. Hope for responses. Thank you.  

41 minutes ago, ~Fatema said:

Thank you brother for the quick reply. So Sahih International is not preferred? Where can I find phrase translation?

Well from a Shi'a point of view people would argue that certain verses should be translated in a certain way, but we are talking about a small number of verses so ultimately it shouldn't make a big difference.

But Shakir is also fine, Yusuf Ali too I guess, Arberry has a good style.

You can read phrases by phrase translations here

http://tanzil.net/#19:1

The Quli Qarai printed version is phrase by phrase.

3 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Well from a Shi'a point of view people would argue that certain verses should be translated in a certain way, but we are talking about a small number of verses so ultimately it shouldn't make a big difference.

But Shakir is also fine, Yusuf Ali too I guess, Arberry has a good style.

You can read phrases by phrase translations here

http://tanzil.net/#19:1

The Quli Qarai printed version is phrase by phrase.

Thank you brother for all these great suggestions. 

Is Shakir and Yusuf Ali also accepted by the Sunnis? Since I will be writing articles including Quranic translated verses and read by Sunnis as well, I would prefer a translator somewhere in the middle. Therefore not sure which translation is accepted by both Shia and Sunni? Hope to hear from you, so I can start writing. insha'Allah. Thank you very much again.

27 minutes ago, ~Fatema said:

Thank you brother for all these great suggestions. 

Is Shakir and Yusuf Ali also accepted by the Sunnis? Since I will be writing articles including Quranic translated verses and read by Sunnis as well, I would prefer a translator somewhere in the middle. Therefore not sure which translation is accepted by both Shia and Sunni? Hope to hear from you, so I can start writing. insha'Allah. Thank you very much again.

You're welcome.

Yusuf Ali is, Arberry would be, Shakir is also fine I think (I'm not really an expert in the intricacies of the different translations)

Perhaps for your purpose you should post a few different translations, the site that I posted a link to further up has a number of different ones.

Edited by Ali_Hussain