Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Dave follower of The Way

Abraham Khalilullah خَلِیْل‌ ٱلله‎

Rate this topic

In Islam, Judaism and Christianity and Abraham - Ibrahim is given the title “Friend of God”

Qur’an Al-Nisa 4:125  And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth? And Allah took Abraham as an intimate friend. 

Isaiah 41:8   "You, Israel, my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend”

James 2:23   "Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness," and he was called the friend of God.

This is a really special title and suggests a very close and intimate relationship.

Was this something only for Abraham or is it something we can all experience?

32 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

In Islam, Judaism and Christianity and Abraham - Ibrahim is given the title “Friend of God”

Qur’an Al-Nisa 4:125  And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth? And Allah took Abraham as an intimate friend. 

Isaiah 41:8   "You, Israel, my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend”

James 2:23   "Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness," and he was called the friend of God.

This is a really special title and suggests a very close and intimate relationship.

Hi,

I guess the best way to understand this is by seeing that each of these major Prophets are archetypal figures.  Each Prophet exemplifies a certain quality by which the rest of mankind partakes in various degrees.  

: from wiki on “Archetype”.

The concept of an archetype /ˈɑːrkɪtp/appears in areas relating to behavior, historical psychological theory, and literary analysis. An archetype can be:

1. a statement, pattern of behavior, a prototype, a "first" form or a main model which other statements, patterns of behavior, and objects copy, emulate or "merge" into. (Frequently used informal synonyms for this usage include "standard example", "basic example", and the longer form "archetypal example". Mathematical archetypes often appear as "canonical examples".)
  2. a Platonic philosophical idea referring to pure forms which embody the fundamental characteristics of a thing in Platonism
  3. a collectively-inherited unconscious idea, pattern of thought, image, etc., that is universally present, in individual psyches, as in Jungian psychology
  4. a constantly recurring symbol or motif in literature, painting, or mythology (this usage of the term draws from both comparative anthropology and from Jungian archetypal theory). In various seemingly unrelated cases in classic storytelling, media, etc., characters or ideas sharing similar traits recur.

Archetypes are also very close analogies to instincts in the sense that its impersonal and inherited traits that present and motivate human behavior long before any consciousness develops.[1] They also continue to influence feelings and behavior even after some degree of consciousness developed later on.[1]

9 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Yes it is something that all people can get it, but then there are the special ones who will get it by His Gifts and usually they are the prime example and highest one in love, friendship of God. These special ones are Prophets, Imams (divine leaders), Messengers etc. For others, we have following narration that describe them:

On the authority of Abu Huraira who said: The Messenger of Allah (upon whom be Allah’s blessings and peace) said: “Allah the Almighty has said, ‘Whoever has mutual animosity with a friend (wali) of Mine, I declare war upon him. My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the religious duties that I have imposed upon him; and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory work such that I love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his leg with which he walks. Were he to ask of Me, I would surely give him; and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.”

According to authentic traditions Ibrahim is the first person who hosted guests and got grey hair in his beard. He asked the Almighty as to what it was. The Almighty revealed, “It is the dignity of this world and the light (noor) of the hereafter.” In certain ayats the Almighty has referred to Ibrahim as his ‘Khalil’ (friend). ‘Khalil’ is one who does not allow any type of ‘Khalal’ (deficiency) in fulfilling the rights of friendship. In this way the Almighty appointed him as His friend. Many traditions have been mentioned in this regard. One of such traditions is related through reliable sources from Imam al-Ridha.

The Almighty Allah appointed Ibrahim as His friend because he did not spun the request of anyone and himself never asked anyone but Allah.

According to correct chains Imam Ja‘far as-Sadiq is reported to have said, “The Almighty Allah made Ibrahim His friend because he prostrated much (for Allah).”

Reliable sources report Imam ‘Ali al-Naqi said that Allah appointed Ibrahim as His friend because he frequently recited Salawaat on Muhammad and the family of Muhammad. According to the Holy Prophet Allah made Ibrahim His Khalil because he used to feed the people and pray at night when people were asleep.1

A reliable report from Imam Muhammad al-Baqir says, “When Allah the Almighty appointed Ibrahim as His Khalil, He sent a handsome youth in white garments - who was actually the angel of death - to convey the good news to Ibrahim..............

.........................‘No! The Almighty has appointed a certain person as His friend. I have come to convey this good news to him.’

‘Who is that fortunate person? May be I shall spend my life in his service,’ asked Ibrahim.

‘Ibrahim, you are that fortunate one.’ When Ibrahim heard this he was exhilarated. He rushed to Sarah and said, ‘Allah has appointed me as His Khalil.’”

Imam Ja‘far as-Sadiq is quoted in a reliable tradition that Ibrahim was the father of guests. That is, he was very fond of entertaining guests. Whenever he did not have any guest to join him for dinner he used to go out in search of a guest. One day when he returned home he saw a youth in his house.

“Who permitted you to enter my house, O creature of Allah?” asked Ibrahim. The youths repeated thrice, “The absolute Master of this house.” Ibrahim understood that it was Archangel Gabriel and there he recited the Praise of Allah.

Archangel Gabriel said, “Your Lord has sent me with glad tidings for a fortunate person whom He has appointed as His Khalil.” “Tell me, who it is. So that I can spent my life in his service,” requested Ibrahim. “You are that fortunate one. “said Archangel Gabriel

“Why am I appointed ‘Khalil?” asked Ibrahim.

“Because you neither request anyone of favors nor fail to fulfill the needs of others,” explained Archangel Gabriel.

https://www.al-islam.org/hayat-al-qulub-vol-1-allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi/account-ibrahim-and-his-righteous-sons

On 7/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, eThErEaL said:

Prophets are archetypal figures.  Each Prophet exemplifies a certain quality by which the rest of mankind partakes in various degrees.  

So Ibrahim was an archetype - an example that we can learn from and imitate.  This would imply that as He was a friend of God, we too can desire and seek after the same relationship.

My friendship with God involves enjoying spending time with him and including him in every aspect of my life. And because friendship is two way, I also hear God speak and comfort me.  I am asured that he travels my journey with me.

As God travelled and spoke with Ibrahim as his friend he is wanting to do that with us too.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Abu Nur said:

Yes it is something that all people can get it, but then there are the special ones who will get it by His Gifts and usually they are the prime example and highest one in love, friendship of God.

Does this mean that a normal person like me and you can't hope for a friendship with God?

On 7/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Abu Nur said:

And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his leg with which he walks. Were he to ask of Me, I would surely give him; and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.”

This is describing an extremely close and intimate relationship.

The New Testament teaches something along these lines.  It talks about the person who follows Jesus and says "Christ is in them" and also at the same time they are "in Christ" 

@Ashvazdanghe Thank you for the hadith you have included.  They are helpful in showing what a friend of God is like.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

“Because you neither request anyone of favors nor fail to fulfill the needs of others,”

On 7/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

The reference from James indicates that Abraham's friendship with God was something not just from what he did but what he beleived too and the ultimate trust he had in God's promises.

May we all put our trust in God in this way so that Abraham's friend becomes our friend.

1 hour ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Does this mean that a normal person like me and you can't hope for a friendship with God?

Normal person can hope and get friendship with God. But Prophets have highest degree of friendship of a God, because they are closest to Him. 

The New Testament teaches something along these lines.  It talks about the person who follows Jesus and says "Christ is in them" and also at the same time they are "in Christ" 

Yes, it means that the person have free himself from himself and he opened the door of his heart to God. So he will do and see everything trough what is approval to God and for love of God. It is like the state of:

Say, "Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. Quran 6:162

On 7/7/2020 at 2:56 PM, Abu Nur said:

Yes, it means that the person have free himself from himself and he opened the door of his heart to God.

I like the picture of opening our hearts to God.  It fits well with this topic - when my friend comes and knocks on my front door, I run and open it and let him in and we share life together.  What a beautiful picture of following God.  Jesus the Messiah gave this invitaion in New Testament Revelation chapter 3 verse 20

20 Here I am! I stand at the door (of their life/heart) and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "when a person has freed himself from himself".  When we think about friends, they accept us as we are and we rejoice together in who each person is.  It is the person's nature and character which draws us together.

I believe God loves us and values us as the person we are.  Although he works with us to change us to be more godly, I don't believe he wants us to be free from ourselves, Rather he wants us to be more perfectly who we were ment to be.

But then maybe I've misunderstood you - sorry!

I'm not sure what you mean by "when a person has freed himself from himself".  When we think about friends, they accept us as we are and we rejoice together in who each person is.  It is the person's nature and character which draws us together.

What I meant by it is that personality of selfless and not egoistic. A person who have submitted and follows the will of God instead of himself. A person who purify his heart from bad characters. How can a egoistic and selfish person who only think of himself and who is attached to this worldly life be a friend of God? Instead he is called an enemy of God:

You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. James 4:4

I believe God loves us and values us as the person we are.  Although he works with us to change us to be more godly, I don't believe he wants us to be free from ourselves, Rather he wants us to be more perfectly who we were ment to be.

There is different kind of loves. God loves His creations and shows this love being all‑Compassionate, the all‑Merciful. He gives care, food, air, shelter, health, life  etc for good and sinner person. This is why it is true that God love is unconditional. As for Special love, that is for those who love Him and have faith on Him.

You are right when you said he works with us to change us to be more godly, this is what I mean by freeing yourself from yourself, because human self represent the bad nature of human being and the opposite is the divine one that only God can guide and help us to become better people.

Edited by Abu Nur

Thanks for your reply - it is helpful

11 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

There is different kind of loves. God loves His creations and shows this love being all‑Compassionate, the all‑Merciful. He gives care, food, air, shelter, health, life  etc for good and sinner person. This is why it is true that God love is unconditional. As for Special love, that is for those who love Him and have faith on Him.

The special love you talk about here is that of God being our friend like he was to Abraham.  Close, intimate, walking the journey together, love.

I would suggest that God's uncondtional love is shown both in the things you mention - praise him for these things! But also in the way he invites and makes it possible for the sinner to become his friend.