Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Guest

Hijab - no rude answers

Rate this topic

Cyberspace meeting entitled "Ifaf (Chastity) and Hijab, Symbol of Honor & Dignity" to be held (+Poster)

The detail of the meeting is as follow:

PRESENTER: Ms. Susan Khalil, Lebanese Journalist

DATE: Saturday 11 July 2020

TIME: 08:00 P.M. (Beirut Local Time)

You will need to install "Zoom Cloud Meetings" App on your PC or mobile phone and enter into the meeting through the following password: 275-085-8949.

You can also follow the meeting via the following link:

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/2750858949

23b9f96bfeb9db5ea4bf45f50c31ff16_587.jpg

Guest Gaith
3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Cyberspace meeting entitled "Ifaf (Chastity) and Hijab, Symbol of Honor & Dignity" to be held (+Poster)

The detail of the meeting is as follow:

PRESENTER: Ms. Susan Khalil, Lebanese Journalist

DATE: Saturday 11 July 2020

TIME: 08:00 P.M. (Beirut Local Time)

You will need to install "Zoom Cloud Meetings" App on your PC or mobile phone and enter into the meeting through the following password: 275-085-8949.

You can also follow the meeting via the following link:

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/2750858949

23b9f96bfeb9db5ea4bf45f50c31ff16_587.jpg

It’s very nice and all but the words ‘honor’ and ‘dignity’ is very strong words almost always used when talking about women with hijab. But honor and dignity should definitely also imply to women who doesn’t cover their hair. As hair is has nothing to do with honor nor dignity. When reading the words and looking at the drawing of the woman on the poster I come to think of a woman living in a closed society like in the Iraqi city Karabala or Qom in Iran. Never will I associate the words mentioned above with hair but rather with akhlaq. Because if that’s so, all men will be without honor and dignity. You can’t define a persons belief on his or hers outer garments yet still there is a lot of consensus about women's honor being held by her clothing. It’s a very conservative and old way of perceiving human beings because of a very primitive way of thinking, what you see is what you get - the same goes for not wearing anything at all. This is slowly changing because people are getting more knowledge and are questioning everything in sight to become true believers of the religion. You can’t follow blindly without reflecting as this will become culture and not religion to you. Clothing should be modest and not degrading, this goes for both nakedness and extreme covering.

Wa Alaykum al Salam

Guest Linda

Can someone tell me why the hair must be covered and not the whole head ? Why is only the back of the head covered and Who came up with this idea? Is it really pre-islamic? I’m 15 and would like to know this because i’m tired of wearing my headscarf!!! Pls help!

Made this same post in another thread, but thought to post it here as well:

This article may answer a lot of your questions:

https://www.al-islam.org/hijab-muslim-womens-dress-islamic-or-cultural-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/quran-and-hijab

But here is an except from it, however I strongly advise you to read the whole thing to get the full context:

After “hijab of the eyes” came the order describing the dress code for women:

وَ لاَ يُبْدِيْنَ زِيْنَتَهُنَّ إِلاَّ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَ لْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلىَ جُيُوْبِهِنَّ...

“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...”

There are two issues about this sentence.

(1) What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?

Khumur خُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head. See any Arabic dictionary like Lisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.”2

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

(2) Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?

According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also.3

This is confirmed by the way the Muslim women of the Prophet’s era understood this commandment of Almighty Allah. The Sunni sources quote Ummu ’l-mu’minin ‘A’isha, the Prophet’s wife, as follows: “I have not seen women better than those of al-Ansar (the inhabitants of Medina): when this verse was revealed, all of them got hold of their aprons, tore them apart, and used them to cover their heads...”4

The meaning of khimar and the context in which the verse was revealed clearly talks about concealing the head and then using the loose ends of the scarf to conceal the neck and the bosom. It is absurd to believe that the Qur’an would use the word khimar (which, by definition, means a cloth that covers the head) only to conceal the bosom with the exclusion of the head! It would be like saying to put on your shirt only around the belly or the waist without covering the chest!

Finally the verse goes on to give the list of the mahram – male family members in whose presence the hijab is not required, such as the husband, the father, the father-in-law, the son(s), and others.

---------

I found the part that I underlined above to be a brilliant analogy the author made!

Alright so this another amazing article I highly highly highly reccomend you to read, fully:

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/hijab-dress-modesty-islam-sayyid-saeed-akhtar-rizvi

There is obv more material you can find on this, but personally I think these above two articles are great and should be sufficient for the ordinary individual. inshaAllah you sincerely read both of them in full.