Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mohammad313Ali

Monk Self Immolation

Rate this topic

It is astounding the level of heightened spirituality and mental toughness this monk occupied in his protest against the injustice he and his people faced, I cannot come to terms as to how it is possible for someone to be able to face a painful death with such stillness, peace, and composure. Is this similar to what the Gnostics would reach in conviction as they pursued 'irfan? How can a man with no unitarian belief in Allah reach such a state to the similitude of he who was able to perceive the majesty of the creator in his actuality and not fear the pangs of death nor the departure of the soul.

Some have speculated that he (the monk) was heavily drugged and high on intoxicants, however, I doubt this to be the case and nonetheless the resolve he carried is quite remarkable. How can we as Muslims reach such a state where while living we see the world as dead and fear no moment in which we may spread our wings and soar to the arms of the creator.

There are many questions and remarks which arise when witnessing the feats that the monk displayed while protesting injustice and sacrificing himself, however, I will suffice with what has been currently stated and after watching the video(s) I hope that you may share your appreciated comments.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/news/burning-monk-vietnamese-monk-who-immolated-himself-against-ngo-dinh-diem/videoshow/69729654.cms

Yes, Ive thought about this monk many times. If a human like this monk has the ability to withstand fire in such a manner, then does it mean that we Muslims should also have similar ability? Should we train ourselves to become so strong, that we can sit in fire easily, for the sake of Islam? If a monk can become so strong, are we Muslims expected to become stronger, or at least at par with him. If a Muslim faces difficulties in life and he says he cannot bare these hardships, can Allah say in return that if a monk can sit quietly getting burnt, then we must also become as strong as him and should face fire easily.... and if we don't reach that level, is that a deficiency of imam? There is a hadith on the lines that following Islam is like holding a lighted coal in the hand. 

Edited by Maisam Haider

He wouldn't have been drunk or drugged, Buddhism doesn't allow (or at least recommends against) the use of substances.

I also don't see a value in killing yourself "for Islam" and I'm never going to. God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is the one who is going to choose when I die and under what circumstances because he already saved me from making that permanent decision prior to embracing Islam.

I don't see any value or wisdom behind killing yourself for any reason. Nor i don't see any special or value to tolerate the pain of fire in this world when the result is eternal fire in hereafter. 

sacrificing himself

That is a suicide, not sacrifice. 

Edited by Abu Nur