Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

"we" in the Quran

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Here is something I don't understand:

If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is One & only one, who is he talking about when he says "We..." to refer to himself in the Quran?

"We did..."

"We sent..."

I do not understand what's going on here, can someone please help me out?

• Advanced Member

Assalamu Alaikum,

I was also confused about this until it got clarified. There was a analogy that was use. Lets say you have someone of royalty giving an address to the people. Like a queen or king, although they would be standing alone, they would using the word 'we', for example, if they are thanking the people, they would say 'we thank you for so and so' for example, they use if for themselves and no one confuses them as more than one. This can be thought of as the expression of royalty or something along the lines of that. Like the Sirius_Bright said, its a style of speech of royalty. Likewise, you'll see that God uses this style in the Quran, for example Surah Qadr, Verse 1, ''Surely we revealed it on the grand night'', its almost as a way God is trying to respect and glorification, to show his power(maybe someone can correct me if this is wrong). You'll find that the only verse (maybe someone can correct me if its not the only one) that God doesn't use 'we' in the Quran, is in the verse regarding dua. And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided. (2:86) .

Sorry if my answer is incorrect, maybe the more knowledgeable on the forum can correct me. Got this from Sayed Ammar nakshawni, its not exactly as he worded it, he worded it better but cant remember where he said, it was in one of the q/as of his in this years ramadan

JazakAllah

Edited by ShiaofAli12
Mentioned the source of the answer

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Here is something I don't understand:

If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is One & only one, who is he talking about when he says "We..." to refer to himself in the Quran?

"We did..."

"We sent..."

I do not understand what's going on here, can someone please help me out?

Even in Urdu sometimes we is used for singular ist person.

It is a plural of majesty/royalty the same way in the Tanakh there are plural of majesty. An example is God’s name “ALAHIM” “Aleph lamed heh mim” the “mim” part is a plural but it is seen absolute singular since its “Alahim” which is a reference to the one true God and it’s God’s name thus it’s seen as a plural of majesty/royalty others it be translated as “the Gods” which is polytheism. 

elohim is translated as “gods” and it can also be a absolute singular, other Hebrew words have the same functions an example is the word “shimayim” which means heavens it can also be a absolutel singular meaning “heaven” which can be seen in the Tanakh. 

An example for u to understand is, when someone starts a small business and he is the only worker and the person that’s running and he introduces his in an event and he says “We offer the best quality and material” over here the business owner is using “We” as a plural of majesty/royalty/respect. Obviously he is the only worker and who is the business owner that’s introducing his business people would say who’s “We” if they didn’t understand what is meant by “We”

Edited by THREE1THREE