Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maryam

Is it permissible to make dua to Jesus?

Rate this topic

Brothers the question is not whether the martyrs can hear us or not. 

The point here is that every supplication that we find in the Qur'an and that has been transmitted to us from the aimmah (عليه السلام) is directly to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

Asking someone to pray for you or supplicate for you is not the same as praying or supplicating to them.

17 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Asking someone to pray for you or supplicate for you is not the same as praying or supplicating to them.

End of story. This is what I’ve been trying to say and people think intercession is praying to someone other than Allah. Amazing how people who don’t know the definition will just talk about anything.

6 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

1. I have proved the dead can hear. You have not proved anything. How is the burden on me?

2. Not really. But I have not seen any good argument from you ever so I’d doubt you’d know what it sounds like. You’ve posted on countless topics and have been shut down instantly because of your lack of knowledge.

3. Stop using linguistic gymnastics to attempt to win an argument and make others appear as a Mushrik. That is a very dirty tactic. No one is saying you pray to people, you are lying at this point. We said you use intercession. If you do not know the difference do not argue. No one says “Oh such and such grant me this and this”. That is shirk. 

Oh it's Mr. Rude guy! Is this the same voice inside you that tells you to propagate that people should pray to humans, which tells you that? Coming from from you that's a compliment. It was a mistake trying to talk to you like a civilized person! I am not surprised that your qareen is going crazy while you talk to me! Tell him he is going to hell from me! OK! Did you do that?

From now on you address me either with direct Quran verses or hadiths that show:

Allah or the prophet allowing or doing this way of seeking intercession. 

If you don't find me any of these, then you already lost this conversation, and no illusion of yours will change that.

Here is my proof you can't deny, no matter how much you insult or get rude like a total loser!

و أن المساجد لله فلا تدعوا مع الله أحدا

And that the mosques belong to Allah; so do not invoke (make duas to), along with Allah, anyone. 72:18

Did you go to dua tawasul last week at the mosque? 

In addition you should complain to Allah and tell Him to change those following verses. Say to Him that the answer is "Yes, I would call upon a servant of yours to call upon you for me, because he's closer to you" :D lol

قل أرأيتكم إن أتاكم عذاب الله أو أتتكم الساعة أغير الله تدعون إن كنتم صادقين

Say, "Have you considered: if there came to you the punishment of Allah or there came to you the Hour - is it other than Allah you would invoke (make duas to), if you should be truthful?" 6:40

بل إياه تدعون فيكشف ما تدعون إليه إن شاء و تنسون ما تشركون

No, it is Him you would invoke (make duas to)and He would remove that for which you invoked Him if He willedand you would forget what you associate. 6:41

Edited by Allah Seeker

2 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

End of story. This is what I’ve been trying to say and people think intercession is praying to someone other than Allah. Amazing how people who don’t know the definition will just talk about anything.

end of story for you and your qareen perhaps, who loves your approach and is tapping on your back right now telling you "bravo!"

فلولا نصرهم الذين اتخذوا من دون الله قربانا آلهة بل ضلوا عنهم و ذلك إفكهم و ما كانوا يفترون

Then why did those they took besides Allah as deities by which to approach [Him] ( min dooni Allahi qurbanan ) not aid them? But they had strayed from them. And that was their falsehood and what they were inventing. 46:28

You see, here are people using the same excuse. It seems that this truly is shirq, and association with Allah. How can it not be, when Allah is not enough for you and you act like those:

ذلكم بأنه إذا دعي الله وحده كفرتم و إن يشرك به تؤمنوا فالحكم لله العلي الكبير

"That is because, when Allah was called upon (made duas to) alone, you disbelieved; but if others were associated (shirq) with Him, you believed. So the judgement is with Allah , the Most High, the Grand." 40:12

Now we all know why some people have such a problem with the whole dua-to-Allah-exclusivity.

Did you tell your qareen what I asked you to tell him? 

3 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Brothers the question is not whether the martyrs can hear us or not. 

The point here is that every supplication that we find in the Qur'an and that has been transmitted to us from the aimmah (عليه السلام) is directly to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

making dua in form of supplication or spiritual requests, like we do in surat hamd during prayer, is definitely a form of worship. Prayers are reserved only for Allah.

I thought you understood that before

1 minute ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

http://www.hodaalquran.com/books.php?sec=10&mn=1

Enjoy. You have no clue about tafsir, obviously.

instead of getting links and running away, why don't you show us the basis of the tafsir. If you can't bring reliable narrations from ahlulbayt about the verse, then that doesn't count as "Islam".

8 minutes ago, Allah Seeker said:

instead of getting links and running away, why don't you show us the basis of the tafsir. If you can't bring reliable narrations from ahlulbayt about the verse, then that doesn't count as "Islam".

Why should I do your homework? This is the best book on tafsir available that will explain why you are wrong on every one of the Ayah you quoted. It contains narrations as well. Why copy and paste when you could go straight to the source?

Read. It will do you good, because right now your arguments are embarrassing. They show a clear lack of understand of intercession and how it differs from shirk.

1 minute ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Why should I do your homework? This is the best book on tafsir available that will explain why you are wrong on every one of the Ayah you quoted. It contains narrations as well. Why copy and paste when you could go straight to the source?

Read. It will do you good, because right now your arguments are embarrassing. They show a clear lack of understand of intercession and how it differs from shirk.

My arguments are clear verses of the Quran, I know for you that's embarrassing. You didn't even refute my arguments that I made against your advocating shirq in duas to Allah.

You are running away, and not addressing what I said. And if the hadiths really exist, you would actually bring them instead of posting a link. This is your link, your homework!

And address my points above, or do you acknowledge that you lost as I predicted?

17 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

What are you even on about? The brother asked if the dead can hear us, I gave him proof that they can.

Not the dead, you mean the martyrs correct? and if the martyrs can hear us, how far away can we be from them for them to hear us? can they hear us from any distance? or do i have to make ziyarat and be as close as possible.

Hey there to you all!!

This post caught my eye because it mentions Jesus the Messiah - who I follow!

Dua - as I have found out from my Muslim friends on this site - are private prayers in your own language making requests for your needs or those of others to Almighty God.

As this thread progressed you were talking about intercessors and whether we need an intercessor (whoever that may be -however great or holy) or whether we pray directly to God.

It then moved on to talking about intercessors having to be alive and whether martyers are still alive.

I want to suggest that it seems illigical to pray to a dead person, or to ask a dead person to interceed for us.

I want to suggest too that God is the "All hearer" why would he need anyone to relate my dua to him?  He has heard it already.  I am confident that Ipray directly to God, as I'm sure you are.

I see an intercessor as someone who doesn't pass on my prayer, but is someone who pleads my cause.  Who stands in my place and defends me before God because I am unable to do that because of my dirty heart and the shame that covers me.

Who would be worthy of being an intercessor in God's presence for me?  It would have to be someone different from me who unlike me doesn't have a dirty heart and has no shame so can stand there before God with complete confidence.  It would also have to be a person who can look on God and talk with him on equal terms.  I would also suggest that it has to be someone who has earnt the right to this role of intercessor.

An interesting claim made by Jesus the Messiah found recorded in John chapter 15:16

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit – fruit that will last – and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

And another comment found in the New Testament in 1 Timothy 2:5 (for mediator you could read intercessor)

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,

Now as we have stated it is important for an intercessor to be alive. So is Jesus alive?  Yes after his death on the cross, he rose again and ever lives on God's right hand).  See this verse talking about Jesus's role.  Hebrews 7:

24 but because Jesus lives for ever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

May we find the answer to our dua and may we have an effective intercessor to take our place in God's holy presence.

9 hours ago, Allah Seeker said:

making dua in form of supplication or spiritual requests, like we do in surat hamd during prayer, is definitely a form of worship. Prayers are reserved only for Allah.

I thought you understood that before

Not sure why this comment was addressed to me. 

On 6/4/2020 at 1:06 AM, Allah Seeker said:

Some Shia including myself don't pray to anybody other than Allah for anything, we even don't pray to anybody to intercede for us. We ask Allah for intercession if we want it, as He clearly indicated us to do in the QURAN, as well as the way of the Messenger ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)).

You, among few others, non-stop spread your personal views as orthodox Shia beliefs and teachings, you just mislead and confuse people here. This should be seriously addressed by the mods as it leads to religious misguidance. You are not qualified to issue verdicts on what constitutes religious belief, and what doesn’t, maraji’ are. Please, stop it. 

The tawassul is the use of a wasilah to arrive at or obtain favour of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it was always allowed and practiced by all sects, until the raise of literalist Wahhabis. We pray to and only to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but can request assistance from a spiritual intermediary when seeking divine help. The Holy Quran is clear on that in chapter 5, verse 35, where the word wasilah is clearly mentioned.  

14 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

You, among few others, non-stop spread your personal views as orthodox Shia beliefs and teachings, you just mislead and confuse people here. This should be seriously addressed by the mods as it leads to religious misguidance. You are not qualified to issue verdicts on what constitutes religious belief, and what doesn’t, maraji’ are. Please, stop it. 

The tawassul is the use of a wasilah to arrive at or obtain favour of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it was always allowed and practiced by all sects, until the raise of literalist Wahhabis. We pray to and only to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but can request assistance from a spiritual intermediary when seeking divine help. The Holy Quran is clear on that in chapter 5, verse 35, where the word wasilah is clearly mentioned.  

You're the one spreading misguidance, and have no basis for your claim. Just like the verse you mention, does it even talk about allowing this innovation?

What does "seeking a means" (ibtegh wasila) have to do with making dua to others than Allah?

Anybody with minimal intelligence can see that this verse doesn't even talk about the subject of Dua, but that you simple try to allegorically relate to it indirectly. (See verse 3:7 to see what you are doing)

You claim that it was accepted by all sects. How about the sect of the Shia of Ali. So you have a single instance where imam Ali advocated such practice?

People like you should be called out at every corner and at every turn! The world must see that Shia Islam does not have this innovation as one of its tenants! This innovation is not part of our shia books or heritage. It's pure innovation and an embarrassing thing that blocks the road to ahlulbayt for most Sunis. And rightfully so! Better to think Omar was good rather than praying to others than Allah!

10 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

Not the dead, you mean the martyrs correct? and if the martyrs can hear us, how far away can we be from them for them to hear us? can they hear us from any distance? or do i have to make ziyarat and be as close as possible.

All the dead can hear. I am not sure about the distance and such but it would obviously differ from a martyr to a person who isn’t. I will look into more narrations on this and update you. It will take some time.

16 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

All the dead can hear. I am not sure about the distance and such but it would obviously differ from a martyr to a person who isn’t. I will look into more narrations on this and update you. It will take some time.

yes, because I would really like to know. Thank you.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

On 6/5/2020 at 11:49 AM, Allah Seeker said:

end of story for you and your qareen perhaps, who loves your approach and is tapping on your back right now telling you "bravo!"

You see, here are people using the same excuse. It seems that this truly is shirq, and association with Allah. How can it not be, when Allah is not enough for you and you act like those:

Now we all know why some people have such a problem with the whole dua-to-Allah-exclusivity.

Did you tell your qareen what I asked you to tell him? 

The shirk would be exactly if people take them as same level than how these polytheist did, to level of worshiping them. This is why Qur'an is repeating it because God knows that human beings tends to attach their thankfulness for human beings and other creations and forget that God is the center and He is the one that we should thankful and ask for help. 

Then when (Solomon) saw it placed firmly before him, he said: "This is by the Grace of my Lord! - to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! and if any is grateful, truly his gratitude is (a gain) for his own soul; but if any is ungrateful, truly my Lord is Free of all Needs, Supreme in Honour!"

Everything is about being grateful or ungrateful. So everything is about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and should be about Him.

The tawassul is the use of a wasilah to arrive at or obtain favour of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 

The reason why I find the dua Tawassul as problematic is because we are doing in the form of Du'a where we ask for our Imams to settle our needs. In the form of Du'a, which is exactly the form of worshiping and calling only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) should be only seeking directly from Him.

Edited by Abu Nur

21 hours ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

I don't think I fully agree brother. Maybe in modern day Shi'i communities it's common to call upon awliyah (عليه السلام) and to address supplications to them, but this practice doesn't have any basis in the actual teachings of Shiism. It seems to have somehow crept in and is weakly defended by suggesting that the intention is to ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) even if the supplication is not being addressed to him. 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) protect us from such things

Edited by Mahdavist

2 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

I don't think I fully agree brother. Maybe in modern day Shi'i communities it's common to call upon awliyah (عليه السلام) and to address supplications to them, but this practice doesn't have any basis in the actual teachings of Shiism. It seems to have somehow crept in and is weakly defended by suggesting that the intention is to ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) even if the supplication is not being addressed to him. 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) protect us from such things

I can’t believe what I’m reading on this forum everyday, brother. To a reasonable degree, we as a laymen have no say in what constitutes religious rites, and what does not. Many people seem to pass their personal thoughts and judgments as religious truth. Seeking intercession has a long history in Islam, for all the sects. A’immah (عليه السلام) were infallible, purified beings that acted with the permission of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on all the matters. Nikah mutah, Khums, Azadari, now it’s tawassul... May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) protect us from people who change, alter and undermine (Shia) Islam unknowingly or knowingly. Amen.

32 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

The reason why I find the dua Tawassul as problematic is because we are doing in the form of Du'a where we ask for our Imams to settle our needs. In the form of Du'a, which is exactly the form of worshiping and calling only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) should be only seeking directly from Him.

Again, the Holy Quran is clear on the matter of seeking intercession in numerous verses; 5:35, 12:97-98 et al. A’immah (عليه السلام) are infallible, purified representatives of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on Earth, just as the Prophets ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), therefore addressing them and seeking their help is allowed because such help and relief comes by the Allah’s (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) mercy and allowance.

I don’t understand at all the doubt in some hearts. We all refer to our maraji’ on jurisprudential matters, if your marja’ doesn’t allow tawassul, then I would more than love to see arguments for such religious position. Otherwise, it’s mustahab or wajib. 

12 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

Again, the Holy Quran is clear on the matter of seeking intercession in numerous verses; 5:35, 12:97-98 et al. A’immah (عليه السلام) are infallible, purified representatives of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on Earth, just as the Prophets ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), therefore addressing them and seeking their help is allowed because such help and relief comes by the Allah’s (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) mercy and allowance.

I don’t understand at all the doubt in some hearts. We all refer to our maraji’ on jurisprudential matters, if your marja’ doesn’t allow tawassul, then I would more than love to see arguments for such religious position. Otherwise, it’s mustahab or wajib. 

Like I said not in form of Dua. Same with the our scholars, no one do duas to ask a marja for helping our needs. 

25 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading on this forum everyday, brother. To a reasonable degree, we as a laymen have no say in what constitutes religious rites, and what does not. Many people seem to pass their personal thoughts and judgments as religious truth. Seeking intercession has a long history in Islam, for all the sects. A’immah (عليه السلام) were infallible, purified beings that acted with the permission of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on all the matters. Nikah mutah, Khums, Azadari, now it’s tawassul... May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) protect us from people who change, alter and undermine (Shia) Islam unknowingly or knowingly. Amen.

I agree that religious rites are not determined by laymen, rather they are based on the Qur'an and on the hadith of the ma'soomeen (عليه السلام)

Regarding tawassul, I don't think anyone is contesting it. However, some people seem to have misunderstood what it actually is, which is why we must refer to our sources rather than what we believe tawassul to be.

Supplications as taught by the Qur'an and the aimmah are exclusively to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). If you have found instances of supplications to other than Allah from the Qur'an or from the aimmah then please share them.

Finally I agree that we must protect ourselves from changing the religion. Unfortunately too many deviations have crept in among the masses. Alhamdulillah we have the Qur'an and the hadith as references to distinguish between authentic Shiism and later deviations. 

Brother @Allah Seeker had already settled this debate in another topic a couple of months ago by quoting the following extract from a letter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) that has been included in Nahjul Balagha:

Develop the habit of patience against sufferings, calamities and adversities. This virtue of patience is one of the highest values of morality and nobility of character and it is the best habit which one can develop. Trust in Allah and let your mind seek His protection in every calamity and suffering because you will thus entrust yourself and your affairs to the Best Trustee and to the Mightiest Guardian. Do not seek help or protection from anybody but Allah. Reserve your prayers, your requests, your solicitations, your supplications, and your entreaties to Him and Him alone because to grant, to give, to confer and to bestow, as well as to withhold, to deprive, to refuse, and to debar, lies only in His Power. Ask as much of His Blessings and seek as much of His Guidance as you can.

Letter 31, Nahjul Balagha

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/letter-father-son-last-will-ali-ibn-abi-talib

Guest SB9

@Allah Seeker

I am Sunni convert to Shi’a Islam and I am also struggling with intercession.

Let me ask you a few questions brother?

1)Surah 9:99

But among the bedouins are some who believe in Allah and the Last Day and consider what they spend as means of nearness to Allah and of [obtaining] invocations of the Messenger. Unquestionably, it is a means of nearness for them. Allah will admit them to His mercy. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

In this verse we can see that spending money will not only bring bring a means of nearness to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but also obtain the invocations of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) as a means of closeness to the believers although this verse is relating to the Prophet during the dunya - important point.

If doing this act of Ibada is not shirk, then it shows that the Prophet Mohammed (who is a slave of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and not an equal) and his successors who are the protectors of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) law, then intercession May hold some weight in our school of thought. 

Look at the tafasir of this verse 9:99

http://www.alim.org/library/quran/AlQuran-tafsir/TIK/9/97

﴿وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ﴾

(And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.) Allah hears the invocation of His servants and knows who deserves victory, who deserve failure. Allah's said; 

﴿وَمِنَ الاٌّعْرَابِ مَن يُؤْمِنُ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الاٌّخِرِ وَيَتَّخِذُ مَا يُنفِقُ قُرُبَـتٍ عِندَ اللَّهِ وَصَلَوَتِ الرَّسُولِ﴾

(And of the bedouins there are some who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and look upon what they spend (in Allah's cause) as means of nearness to Allah, and a cause of receiving the Messenger's invocations.) This is the type of praiseworthy bedouins. They give charity in Allah's cause as way of achieving nearness to Allah and seeking the Messenger's invocation for their benefit, 

﴿أَلا إِنَّهَا قُرْبَةٌ لَّهُمْ﴾

(Indeed these are a means of nearness for them.) they will attain what they sought, 

﴿سَيُدْخِلُهُمُ اللَّهُ فِى رَحْمَتِهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ﴾

(Allah will admit them to His mercy. Certainly Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.)

Is this ayah not telling us to spend in the way of Prophet Mohammed SAW to gain the blessings of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)? Spending in the name of Islam is another act of worship no? 

So the way I view it is that God has granted the Prophet Mohammed (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) the power to intercede on behalf of the Bedouins even when the niyah is to spend to get the Prophets salawat. How is then du’a to gain the intercession of Imams impermissible?

So if we are to believe that the Spiritual successors of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) can’t intercede for us?

I hope you understand and look forward to hearing your response.

And of course I agree everything is done by the permission of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) alone. I don’t read Du’a Tawassul as I see it as a shady area, however this ayah has definitely given me a look on things. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us to the straight path.

Surah Al-Najm 53: 26

How many an angel there is in the heavens whose intercession is of no avail in any way EXCEPT after Allah grants permission to whomever He wishes and approves of!

Surah Al-Zukhruf 43:86

Those whom they invoke besides Him have no power of intercession, EXCEPT THOSE WHO ARE WITNESS TO THE TRUTH and who know [for whom to intercede].

Surah Saba  34:23

Intercession is of no avail with Him EXCEPT for those whom He permits. When fear is lifted from their hearts, they say, ‘What did your Lord say? They say ‘The truth, and He is the All-Exalted, All-great 

Surah al-Anbiya 21:28

He knows that which is before them and that which is behind them, AND THEY DO NOT INTERCEDE EXCEPT for someone He approves of, and they are apprehensive for the fear of Him.

Quran 33:33 case closed. 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:36 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,

You shot yourself in the foot on that one, you believe jesus is God, Paul is distinguishing jesus the man from God....

1 hour ago, THREE1THREE said:

Surah Al-Najm 53: 26

How many an angel there is in the heavens whose intercession is of no avail in any way EXCEPT after Allah grants permission to whomever He wishes and approves of!

Surah Al-Zukhruf 43:86

Those whom they invoke besides Him have no power of intercession, EXCEPT THOSE WHO ARE WITNESS TO THE TRUTH and who know [for whom to intercede].

Surah Saba  34:23

Intercession is of no avail with Him EXCEPT for those whom He permits. When fear is lifted from their hearts, they say, ‘What did your Lord say? They say ‘The truth, and He is the All-Exalted, All-great 

Surah al-Anbiya 21:28

He knows that which is before them and that which is behind them, AND THEY DO NOT INTERCEDE EXCEPT for someone He approves of, and they are apprehensive for the fear of Him.

Quran 33:33 case closed. 

Nothing was proved here anyway.