Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Moalfas

US Protests - Latest News & Updates

Rate this topic

Please share the latest / breaking news & opinions on the protests for those interested as I felt bad derailing other threads.

Live feeds 

Multiple fires set near the White House as protests escalate after curfew

https://twitter.com/i/events/1266831718729670657

Any members in or around DC? There's some scary reports of blackout, signal jamming, CCTVs turned off etc 

Can anyone confirm?

I've seen videos of more and more police laying down their military gear and joining in the protest marches. One can certainly question their sincerity, but it's a good development nonetheless - either they are admitting that police actions have been wrong, or they are acknowledging that they can't win. I hope to see a lot more of it. 

If I were still in the military, I would refuse to follow the illegal order to harass and fire upon US civilians. I hope most members of the military know that following illegal orders is a crime punishable by imprisonment in a military prison along with dishonorable discharge. 

10 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Any members in or around DC? There's some scary reports of blackout, signal jamming, CCTVs turned off etc 

Can anyone confirm?

I heard this was misinformation spread by bots on twitter butttt wee dont know

Trump is threatening to deploy the military..

May Allah Ta'ala protect innocent lives everywhere.

"Trump said he would use his entire presidential prerogative to ensure violent protests end, declaring he would deploy "thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel and law enforcement officers" to bring order."

https://us.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/donald-trump-national-address-race/index.html

It is illegal for members of the US military to obey illegal orders. If they are given an order, even if by the Commander in Chief, and it violates national, state, or local law, or UCMJ, they are obligated to refuse to obey. If a servicemember obeys an illegal order, he or she is accountable under UCMJ. 

Of course enforcement depends on who wins the civil war. 

The president just gassed a group of peaceful protesters so that he could pose for a picture holding a bible in front of a church. That would be an example of following an illegal order. 

0300 News

The "iconic" Macy's store in Manhatten was looted during rioting last night.

Terence Monahan, Chief of Departments, NYPD "takes a knee with protesters" as an act of "solidarity".

Other police departments do as well:  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/06/02/nypd-officers-take-knee-in-solidarity-with-protesters-de-blasio-praises-them-for-listening-working-with-community/     (OPINE: Your Demoncratic Party at work)

China is now haw-hawing US "police brutality allegations" after it was so criticized about Hong Kong.

ADDED: Voters in 8 states and the District of Columbia go to the polls today. OPINE: Demoncrats and ANTIFA pushed these riots as a political strategem.

Edited by hasanhh
Added

Coup Warning ?

Or just her pompus, pseudo-intellectual mouth ?

Before getting the TV channel changed, l heard the opening remarks by C. Amanpour & Co.

She said in near-quote, "that like with the Berlin Wall, South Africa (protests), and Cairo and the 'Arab Spring' overturning gov'ts, we are witnessing the same here in America."

9 hours ago, notme said:

It is illegal for members of the US military to obey illegal orders. If they are given an order, even if by the Commander in Chief, and it violates national, state, or local law, or UCMJ, they are obligated to refuse to obey. If a servicemember obeys an illegal order, he or she is accountable under UCMJ. 

Political commentators had noted that Trump could rely on the 'civil unrest/ insurgence law' to use the military domestically. This hadn't been done since the 'LA riots' which were sparked by very similar circumstances.

It's also been noted that these protests are the most widespread across the States since Martin Luther King Jr's assassination in 1968.  

Of course enforcement depends on who wins the civil war. 

The president just gassed a group of peaceful protesters so that he could pose for a picture holding a bible in front of a church. That would be an example of following an illegal order. 

This was done right before he'd said he will protect the rights of peaceful protesters!!

I found him alluding to 'upholding the 2nd amendment' and then holding the bible extremely disturbing. Such rhetoric and photo op stunt at this sensitive time could lay the groundwork for civil discord.    

19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Coup Warning ?

Or just her pompus, pseudo-intellectual mouth ?

Before getting the TV channel changed, l heard the opening remarks by C. Amanpour & Co.

She said in near-quote, "that like with the Berlin Wall, South Africa (protests), and Cairo and the 'Arab Spring' overturning gov'ts, we are witnessing the same here in America."

I think It's easier said than done. I'm doubtful of a change in the status quo, but hopeful these protests could at the very least start holding authorities to account on their excessive use of force. 

American establishment is getting a little lesson in humility.

On the same day the American people were threatened with military action by their own government, the POTUS stood in his vast gardens to announce a new raft of sanctions against China for its treatment of protesters in Hong Kong.

The irony, I'm sure, is lost on the Americans.

5 hours ago, Moalfas said:

I think It's easier said than done. I'm doubtful of a change in the status quo, but hopeful these protests could at the very least start holding authorities to account on their excessive use of force. 

"holding authorities to account"

This is a nothing platatude. Yes, seriously.

By what measure?

What is better is:  Where are the inadequacies in public safety procedures?

l heard over the weekend some police departments train their officers to knee-on-neck people. Non-violent included.

American racists in positions of authority are scared seriously scared - hence threats of a military invasion of major cities - curfews etc. ... this is June ... wait till hotter than july rolls around - and unemployment begins to hover around 50% (it's only 30% now overall ...although likely 50% for Black and Latinx) . Trump is toast - his chances are now down to 30% he couldn't come up with a coherent narrative against a cognitively deficient opponent. 

2 hours ago, starlight said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd8aW4ae6MfPDVAza_OV_

Trump raising bible. Reminds you of something? ;)

Hint:Siffeen

He is said to have used tear gas to clear a path to the church, and was then criticised by a lead bishop for not praying and being vocal on black rights.

I really think has chances of winning re-election are crushed. I'm hearing many across the board speaking out against his administration.

Edited by iCenozoic

6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

"holding authorities to account"

This is a nothing platatude. Yes, seriously.

By what measure?

What is better is:  Where are the inadequacies in public safety procedures?

l heard over the weekend some police departments train their officers to knee-on-neck people. Non-violent included.

Some are already being held to account:

Six Atlanta Police officers are being charged after allegedly using excessive force at protest

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/atlanta-police-charged-protest/index.html

Denver police officer fired for social media post captioned “Let’s start a riot”

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/02/denver-police-officer-fired-lets-start-a-riot-george-floyd-protest/

Louisville police chief fired after Kentucky man was shot and killed during protests over death of Breonna Taylor

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-louisville-shooting-police-chief-fired-20200601-24k4ssfh3verfa37gl7iw7hi5q-story.html

Also, the officers involved in George Floyd's murder will certainly be held to account as the postmortem suggested that it wasn't only the neck compression that resulted in his suffocation but also pressure on his back involving 2 more officers. Only one has so far been charged and the rest have been fired.

It's not justice but a step towards it.

I would argue that authorities all over the 'democratic' world will now think twice before using excessive force. I also think police forces will have no choice but to review their training and procedures once the dust settles as they need to rebuild the public's confidence in them.

6 hours ago, skylight2 said:

American racists in positions of authority are scared seriously scared - hence threats of a military invasion of major cities - curfews etc. ... this is June ... wait till hotter than july rolls around - and unemployment begins to hover around 50% (it's only 30% now overall ...although likely 50% for Black and Latinx) . Trump is toast - his chances are now down to 30% he couldn't come up with a coherent narrative against a cognitively deficient opponent. 

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. W was supposedly going to be "crushed" by Kerry in 2004 & we all remember how "dOnALd TrUmP WiLL NeVaR bE pReSiDeNt" because our Queen and savior, Hillary Ramrod Clinton was going to beat him with 300 electoral votes in 2016; but keep trusting those polls & the American MSM-- they're super trustworthy and never lied about Iraq having WMD to gin up support for an invasion, right?

Also, there's no such thing as "latinx" because not only does Spanish already have gender neutral terms in it's language (Latino), but there's no such thing as "gender neutral". Adam & eve. Male & female. xx & xy. You can't change your gender & there are only two of them.

2 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. W was supposedly going to be "crushed" by Kerry in 2004 & we all remember how "dOnALd TrUmP WiLL NeVaR bE pReSiDeNt" because our Queen and savior, Hillary Ramrod Clinton was going to beat him with 300 electoral votes in 2016; but keep trusting those polls & the American MSM-- they're super trustworthy and never lied about Iraq having WMD to gin up support for an invasion, right?

Also, there's no such thing as "latinx" because not only does Spanish already have gender neutral terms in it's language (Latino), but there's no such thing as "gender neutral". Adam & eve. Male & female. xx & xy. You can't change your gender & there are only two of them.

OK 

5 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Some are already being held to account:

You are now using the word "account" -a narrative leading to criminal charges- with the word "accountability" -who is fundamentably reponsible- for the lack of responsible policies/proceedures; such as the municipal pulic safety director.

To use the G.Floyd example, Chauvin did knee-on-neck because it was either permitted or a departmental procedure. Either way, the public safety director must be held accountable.

12 hours ago, skylight2 said:

OK 

Hey, I'm sorry if I seem angry about it, but now Americans are killing each other because they are mad about election results from four years ago. The attempted murder of the police chief outside the pawn shop in St. Louis and the violence taking place has NOTHING to do with George Floyd... I don't want to see my countrymen killing each other and fighting amongst themselves; it makes me feel absolutely horrible, just like I'm sure we all feel horrible when we see Sunni & Shia fighting  and killing one another.

There's so much violence and killing in this world, and I already feel bad that a lot of it is done in the name of my country & my flag... and there's absolutely nothing that I can do to stop it because I wield absolutely zero power or influence in my country & I'm willing to bet that my vote isn't even counted in any elections (that's why the two party monopoly continues: the third party votes are thrown in the trash and the media just "guesses" how many vote for the libertarians, constitution party, or greens, which of course is never enough to get them serious coverage from the media or establishment).

As for the gender neutral thing: this is an Islamic forum. As per my knowledge, Islam isn't exactly cool with alternative lifestyles or the movement to render all people genderless. I'm also taking Spanish right now and my teacher (a native Spanish speaker) has informed us that "Latinx" is a made-up word by people with a very clear political agenda & that the gender-neutral terms in Spanish would be the same as the masculine terms (Latino is both "male" and can be used to refer to both men and women, thereby being gender neutral).

3 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

The attempted murder of the police chief outside the pawn shop in St. Louis

Correction:

David Dorn, 77, retired police captain was shot and killed at the pawn shop. He was also black.

Sick-in-the-head scat.

ADDED: After AbduI-Hadi emoto-conned

He was a 38 year veteran. 

Also, 4 other St. Louie police were shot the days before.

Edited by hasanhh

5 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Hey, I'm sorry if I seem angry about it, but now Americans are killing each other because they are mad about election results from four years ago. The attempted murder of the police chief outside the pawn shop in St. Louis and the violence taking place has NOTHING to do with George Floyd... I don't want to see my countrymen killing each other and fighting amongst themselves; it makes me feel absolutely horrible, just like I'm sure we all feel horrible when we see Sunni & Shia fighting  and killing one another.

There's so much violence and killing in this world, and I already feel bad that a lot of it is done in the name of my country & my flag... and there's absolutely nothing that I can do to stop it because I wield absolutely zero power or influence in my country & I'm willing to bet that my vote isn't even counted in any elections (that's why the two party monopoly continues: the third party votes are thrown in the trash and the media just "guesses" how many vote for the libertarians, constitution party, or greens, which of course is never enough to get them serious coverage from the media or establishment).

As for the gender neutral thing: this is an Islamic forum. As per my knowledge, Islam isn't exactly cool with alternative lifestyles or the movement to render all people genderless. I'm also taking Spanish right now and my teacher (a native Spanish speaker) has informed us that "Latinx" is a made-up word by people with a very clear political agenda & that the gender-neutral terms in Spanish would be the same as the masculine terms (Latino is both "male" and can be used to refer to both men and women, thereby being gender neutral).

ok

Posted June 2, 2020, 6:30 PM (GMT-4 Eastern Daylight Time), Dearborn, MI, USA:
https://www.imams.us/statement-from-the-council-of-shia-muslim-scholars-of-north-america-on-the-killing-of-george-floyd-and-the-importance-of-confronting-racism/
https://imam-us.org/statement-council-shia-muslim-scholars-north-america-killing-george-floyd-importance-confronting-racism/
https://connect.imam-us.org/acton/ct/26493/s-018e-2006/Bct/l-sf-lead-0008/l-sf-lead-0008:4370/ct0_0/1?sid=TV2%3A2xgJub42v

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

image.jpg

In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Statement from the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America on the Killing of George Floyd and the Importance of Confronting Racism

With hearts filled with sadness, and a voice that still echoes in each of our minds, “I can't breathe,” the killing of George Floyd adds yet another soul to the already long list of victims of racism and hatred. 

The diversity in the human family on the basis of language, color, and culture should be celebrated and should not be the basis of preferring one over others except by virtue of piety. “People, We have created you all male and female and have made you nations and tribes so that you would recognize each other. The most honorable among you in the sight of God is the most pious of you. God is All-knowing and All-aware.” (The Quran 49:13) During this age when there are no limits to knowledge and virtue, and where the culture of peace and harmony is preached globally, it is very frustrating to witness persistent injustice against fellow human beings, and particularly African Americans. This tragedy has reminded us that the novel coronavirus is not the only challenge facing the American community but also the underlying disease of racism. George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and many other names of human beings, are all incidents that demonstrate how racism destroys human life. Almighty God has equated the killing of an innocent soul to the killing of all people. (The Quran 5:32)

On behalf of all the oppressed, regardless of race or creed, the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America strongly condemns the senseless murder of our fellow citizens and asks all responsible authorities without exception to bear their humanitarian responsibility by taking the necessary measures to stop this ongoing aggression and disregard for innocent lives. We appeal to our fellow Americans not to let a select few who are emboldened by racism and bigotry trample true American ideals.

We all have a responsibility to stand up against all forms of injustice whether it be fueled by racism or any other evil through peaceful and constructive means. We ask God Almighty to bring solace and patience to the families of all the victims and to enlighten us to work together to bring forth the change that earns His pleasure and mercy. 

- The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America

Facebook transpix.gif Twitter transpix.gif Forward to Friend transpix.gif

Copyright © 2020. All Rights Reserved.
The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America
www.imams.us  info@imams.us

Supported by I.M.A.M.
22000 Garrison St, Dearborn, MI 48124, USA
www.imam-us.org  info@imam-us.org

If you do not wish to receive future emails, click here.

This seemed like an interesting developmen:t

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/03/868910542/chauvin-and-3-former-officers-face-new-charges-over-george-floyds-death

Chauvin and 3 former officers face new charges over George Floyd's death.

My sister friend is black Muslim who lives in Ohio. She said yesterday her mother was walking from supermarket to home, she noticed a white man following her, she got panicked and starting walking fast, he start walking fast as well, when she reached her house, she immediately closed the door, he start banging the door loudly, but after few minutes he went. They were crying and scared at the same time.