Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mohammad313Ali

Reverse Racism

Rate this topic

Reverse Racism  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Reverse Racism

• White People Can Experience Racism
    • White People Can Only Experience Prejudice

A fundamental idea that seems to be circulating around the left in their campaigns and their stance against white privilege, is the belief that within western society (the U.S specifically) an individual cannot be racist towards a white person, but can only be prejudiced towards them. Stating that racism towards a person necessitates two components possessed by the individual - prejudice and power. Arguing that a white individual irrespective of their social status will always have the power principal i.e the government or the institutionalized bias. Therefore reverse racism is a myth and the only thing which a person of a Caucasian complexion can face is prejudice.

What are your thoughts in regards to this 'reasoning' and do you believe that reverse racism is indeed a myth or otherwise.

Please state your reasons why.

Edited by Mohammad313Ali

This might help inform the thread

DEFINITIONS

• Prejudice refers to irrational or unjustifiable negative emotions or evaluations toward persons from other social groups, and it is a primary determinant of discriminatory behavior (Friske, Gilbert, & Gardner, 2010).

• Discrimination refers to inappropriate treatment of people because of their actual or perceived group membership and may include both overt and covert behaviors, including microaggressions, or indirect or subtle behaviors (e.g., comments) that reflect negative attitudes or beliefs about a nonmajority group.

• Racism refers to prejudice or discrimination against individuals or groups based on beliefs about one’s own racial superiority or the belief that race reflects inherent differences in attributes and capabilities. Racism is the basis for social stratification and differential treatment that advantage the dominant group. It can take many forms, including explicit racial prejudice and discrimination by individuals and institutions (e.g., Jim Crow laws after the Reconstruction) as well as structural or environmental racism in policies or practices that foster discrimination and mutually reinforcing social inequalities (e.g., attendance policies that favor a majority group). Racism can also take the form of unconscious beliefs, stereotypes, and attitudes toward racial groups in the form of implicit bias (e.g., assuming limited ability when students speak non-standard English; fearful responses to verbal or physical behavior of non-White students; Staats, Capatosto, Wright, & Jackson, 2016). Other forms of racism are modern symbolic racism in which individuals deny the continued existence of racial inequality while contributing to discrimination and aversive racism through ingroup favoritism for the dominant racial group (Bailey et al., 2017; Friske et al., 2010).

Source: NASP (National Association of School psychologists)

Edited by Moalfas

5 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Discrimination

Discrimination is not necessarily a negative word because we do it all the time. Something pointed out in college.

We discriminate when we open the refrigerator, whom we marry, which car we buy, which sandwich we chose.

Without discrimination there is no choice.

3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Discrimination is not necessarily a negative word because we do it all the time. Something pointed out in college.

We discriminate when we open the refrigerator, whom we marry, which car we buy, which sandwich we chose.

Without discrimination there is no choice.

I believe the definition here is specifically about racial discrimination which doesn't usually occur in my fridge lol 

Re OP

When a US store owner employs a Latino over a white worker because he perceives the white person to be lazy and the Latio to be a hard worker, that's Racism. That's both the store owner's prejudice and power coming into play - being the store owner, he holds the 'power'.

So, yes white people can also experience racism even in white majority countries.  

Pretty sure we've had this conversation here before. Do a search. 

I have never been discriminated against because I'm white. I've had people not like me, but that's personal not systemic. 

Only "racism" I've experienced was for wearing hijab. The thing is, if I fear for my life I can take off hijab. A black person can't change his or her skin. 

The way things are moving and the hate the white male is receiving for being a descendant of colonizers and oppressors there may soon come a time when the white man will fear for being white, or will always be served last and ridiculed, because the system that is being established is one that is literally seeking to flip the tables instead of clear the scales.

58 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Racism is racism, doesn't matter who the perpetrator is and who the victim is. Anti white racism does exist, muslims should know this since many of them are guilty of it. 

This is so true, White reverts are almost never taken seriously in Muslim communities even if they try hard by learning Arabic, praying everyday etc. in the eyes of many born Muslims and Arabs, they will always be converted outsiders. Ignorance. 

@notme When it comes to certain matters in particular, in this case racism there are many important points that need to be considered such as the changing in variables to fit a specific narrative. The definition of racism has always been prejudice towards an individual due to their color, but modern translations have sought to amend the understanding in regards to racism to push their own agendas. Adding power as a necessary component to prejudice (racism) in order to fit the narrative that is being drawn out - that is a society which is founded on benefiting and favoring a man of white descent. Now irrespective of such a premise it is necessary to understand that although racism is undoubtedly projected much greater to a POC it is disingenuous to claim that an individual who is white cannot otherwise experience it, albeit to a much lesser degree or extent.  

@Mohammad313Ali why are you tagging me? Your comment is not related to mine. Perhaps you meant to tag someone else?

Or were you saying that islamophobia isn't racism? If that's what you're tagging me for, I agree. That's why I put it in quotation marks as the closest I've experienced.

Race and racism are both social constructs, but important ones due to the lived experiences of those who endure their very real consequences. Neither word has existed more than 500 years, and language is continually evolving. But if we have to define every word every time we speak, we will never communicate. 

However you define it, I've never suffered any difficulty as a result of being white. 

13 minutes ago, notme said:

Race and racism are both social constructs

This is incorrect. Islam clearly defines matters pertaining to racism and race, society is persistently drifting away from Godly values and as a result we must be very weary in not appeasing a society which is constantly swayed. The Quran is eternal and unchanging therefore we refer to definitions that are consistent with the Quran. That being racism is prejudice towards an individual irrespective of the power structure.

13 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Racism is racism, doesn't matter who the perpetrator is and who the victim is. Anti white racism does exist, muslims should know this since many of them are guilty of it. 

Brother can you please provide examples as the context is needed and essential for any progress in dialogue with individuals who claim otherwise.

18 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Yes, Islam is dealing with social constructs. 

Could you elaborate with some examples?

1 hour ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Could you elaborate with some examples?

Government is a social construct. So is money. Social construct means something that doesn't exist in nature that human societies came up with to make civilization manageable. 

Power is something all races can have irrespective of the social construct of the time/era/demographic and such power can be used in a prejudiced manner; therefore whites can experience racism.

Edited by Mohammad313Ali