Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
KnowledgeSeeker36

Surah 11 Verses 45-47

Rate this topic

Salaam, verses 45-47 of Surah 11: 

Shakir 11:45 And Nuh cried out to his Lord and said: My Lord! surely my son is of my family, and Thy promise is surely true, and Thou art the most just of the judges.
Shakir 11:46 He said: O Nuh! surely he is not of your family; surely he is (the doer of) other than good deeds, therefore ask not of Me that of which you have no knowledge; surely I admonish you lest you may be of the ignorant
Shakir 11:47 He said: My Lord! I seek refuge in Thee from asking Thee that of which I have no knowledge; and if Thou shouldst not forgive me and have mercy on me, I should be of the losers.

How do I understand Noah’s (عليه السلام) concerns to his Lord? I don’t know if this seems like a silly or uneducated question, but I want to understand and learn. How do I read Noah’s (عليه السلام) concerns about his son and his statement about Allah’s promise? What do these verses mean exactly? I know Noah (عليه السلام) cannot be of those of the ignorant. How then, do we read his concerns to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)?

3 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

therefore ask not of Me that of which you have no knowledge; surely I admonish you lest you may be of the ignorant

Noah's (عليه السلام) son either does or thinks sinfully, Noah (عليه السلام) is either appealing on his behalf or asking why his son is how he is because "surely he is of my family"; while admitting that God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is a just judge and God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says to him (to paraphrase): "Hey, you know what your son's deal is because you raised him, so ask me about something that you don't know, because I Am God and I know about things that you don't. I'm telling you this so you won't waste this opportunity"

Noah (عليه السلام) is griping to God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) about his son, and God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) tells him to not waste the opportunity to talk with him with complaints.

At least that's what I got out of it.

2 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

I know Noah (عليه السلام) cannot be of those of the ignorant. How then, do we read his concerns to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)?

Salam I think it's about importance of intention & belief system which son of prophet Noah(عليه السلام) was his legitimate & biological son but because of following idol worshipers & standing against prophet Allah put him away of Noah family.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Abdul-Hadi said:

Noah's (عليه السلام) son either does or thinks sinfully, Noah (عليه السلام) is either appealing on his behalf or asking why his son is how he is because "surely he is of my family"; while admitting that God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is a just judge and God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says to him (to paraphrase): "Hey, you know what your son's deal is because you raised him, so ask me about something that you don't know, because I Am God and I know about things that you don't. I'm telling you this so you won't waste this opportunity"

Noah (عليه السلام) is griping to God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) about his son, and God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) tells him to not waste the opportunity to talk with him with complaints.

At least that's what I got out of it.

I think I actually kind of read it differently, I think reading the verses where Noah’s story begins in this Surah may also help with more context and I also read some commentary where I was kind of confused with after...I’m going to try to ponder more on these verses. 

13 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

I think I actually kind of read it differently, I think reading the verses where Noah’s story begins in this Surah may also help with more context and I also read some commentary where I was kind of confused with after...I’m going to try to ponder more on these verses. 

I'll read it right now & then get back to you. I'm interested to hear how you feel about it.

Ok, I'm using The Study Quran translation and it clearly states that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) told Noah (عليه السلام) NOT to ask him about things which Noah (عليه السلام) had no knowledge.

Granted this is not the original Arabic so I'm never going to be able to fully understand the passage until I can fluently read Arabic, but I was mistaken.