Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

I'm excited about my new life as a (shia) Muslim, so I naturally do a lot of digging on the internet for any info I can find that might help me perfect my prayer & perfect my submission to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Last night, I found a site called "NewMuslims . com" and I went to look around, figuring I could get some information on "next steps" for Shia reverts. I searched the term "shia" and was directed to a section called "Introduction to Sects (part 2 of 2). The constant talk of the Sunnah should have tipped me off from the get go, but here is what they had to say about us:

(4. Shias[3]

Also spelled “Shi’ites.” The “Twelver Shias” believe that, after the death of the Prophet, the Imamate (the political and religious leadership of the Muslim community) should have gone to 'Ali - the cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet - and his descendants as a divine right.

Unlike the Sunnis, who perform prayers five times a day, the Shi'ites pray three times a day. The Twelver Shias population in 1980 was estimated to be 73,000,000. They are dominant in Iran, but are also found in Pakistan, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Syria. There are also small Shia communities in the West, one of the largest in Dearborn, Michigan.)

Isn't that fascinating? I never knew that I only prayed 3 times a day! I could have sworn that I learned how to count as a child from repeated viewings of the Bela Lugosi-type "vampire" on Sesame Street, but I guess I was wrong. Those five alarms I have on my phone are apparently only three alarms! Did anyone know that we had been counting completely wrong our entire lives? :ko:

(yes, the above is very snarky sarcasm)

Seriously though, how can it be argued that we only "pray three times a day"? My guess is that this has something to do with the OPTION to combine prayers (which correct me if I am wrong, but only two prayers can be combined per day... either Dhur & Asr or Maghrib & Isha.)

I do not combine my prayers right now because I don't know the proper way to do so, but I don't really think that I would if I had the knowledge on how to properly do so anyway. I enjoy prayer, at the risk of sounding like a piety-signaler, I actually look forward to prayer because I am very much motivated to become perfect at offering it. Not only that, but I get more of a rejuvenation out of the five daily prayers than I ever did going to "rock concert church" where everyone is dancing, crying, and waving their hands around in the air. I never in my life saw myself as being someone who would eagerly anticipate having to perform religious duties, but Islam has done that for me in the short three week period or so that I have officially considered myself as a Muslim.

What do you think brothers & sisters? Is this a salafi site sponsored by Saudi Arabia and if so, what is the Saudi compulsion to denigrate and undermine their brothers and sisters in Islam at any and all opportunities simply because we believe (correctly) that The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) chose his family to continue as his successors?

I can confirm that this is a Saudi funded, Saudi run websites among many. What is the Saudi compulsion? Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn al Qayyim. They simply follow what they gave and what they gave: shias are worst than kuffar, do not discuss anything with them, rather best to get rid of them.

Be careful brother, Last year before May 2019, I was planning to leave Shi’ism because I was getting manipulated from Anti-Shi’a. But of course, when I start learning about Shi’ism I found out that we have the best religion in the world. They always lie about us, it’s not a new thing. 

3 hours ago, Diaz said:

Be careful brother, Last year before May 2019, I was planning to leave Shi’ism because I was getting manipulated from Anti-Shi’a. But of course, when I start learning about Shi’ism I found out that we have the best religion in the world. They always lie about us, it’s not a new thing. 

I might be arrogant & wrong in doing this, so correct me if that is the case.

When I look for information re: Islam, if I see the word "Sunnah" frequently, I feel like I'm about to read misinformation that is going to make Islam seem complicated & overly demanding, which from what I've read, neither the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) or His Family (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) wanted it to be for believers (to paraphrase: we don't want to burden the ummah).

I'm in the middle of looking for a school+teacher to follow, so it seems like the majority of websites out there about Islam are teaching things from a Saudi perspective; Al-Islam.org obviously not (what I'm quickly realizing to be the only good source of information on Islam that I know of). This brings me back to my experiences as a liturgical Christian wherein a lot of the information I would seek out about the Christian faith came from Evangelical Protestant sources was remarkably different from what I had been taught by my family and at church... and always seemed to have a real nasty anti-Catholic/Orthodox streak to it while making straw men to knock down that were similar to what this site did. [ex: "Catholics believe that you should pray to statues/Catholics worship the pope/etc"] and this always struck me as very disingenuous and then made me feel like "Why would I want to go to this person's church when they're lying about what I and my family believe?"

I found another video site called "Halaltube" and have enjoyed some of the lectures by people like Bilal Phillips and Ingrid Mattson, but then upon closer inspection I find that there don't seem to be any videos by Shia presenters or scholars on the site, and eventually I come around to videos by guys like Yusuf Estes & realize that more than likely the entire site is Sunni/being sponsored by Saud. It's hard to find good content when you don't exactly know what you're looking for, but I'll manage.

2 hours ago, GD41586 said:

I never knew that I only prayed 3 times a day!

As l understand it, you only combine prayers if you missed one.

Additionally, you can only pray 11 raka at any one time.

l'm Sunni.

Salam,

With respect brother, my advice to you as a new revert is to forget about the arguements between the different schools of islam for now, there will be time for that later and at this point I think it would be better if you mainly focused on yourself and your relationship to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Guest Quran and Itrah

According to our ulema, it is actually better for Shias to separate and not combine their prayers.

I recall several well respected members on here, from Admins to Moderators mentioning how they often separate their prayers as a norm.

I combine and separate because of the nature of what i do, but i and many other Shias much prefer to separate the Salah, we feel we can properly focus more on the one.

7 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Salam,

With respect brother, my advice to you as a new revert is to forget about the arguements between the different schools of islam for now, there will be time for that later and at this point I think it would be better if you mainly focused on yourself and your relationship to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Salam,

Brother, I think that you're definitely right about that. I have a tendency to focus on extraneous details rather than the main picture & what's most important. Every now and then I need a reminder to "take it easy" and not put so much pressure on myself to do things the way I see other people doing them. That and I get overly enthusiastic about things that I really take an interest in or that which I enjoy, and I want to throw myself super-deep into them right away.

I think that has to do with my history as a "people-pleaser" in that I don't necessarily want admiration or respect from others, but I want them to see that I'm serious. Like you said, there will be time for that later and if my number comes up before I reach that point, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) willed for me to only make it that far.

Thanks for your input, you always seem to come off as really genuine and honest. :)