Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Heather Gilbert

Obsessed with 72 virgin

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Heather Gilbert said:

Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven

Lol,you won't see Shia scholars talking about 72 virgins like some others do.

15 hours ago, Heather Gilbert said:

why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ?

Most men would love the idea of beautiful women fawning over him, no?? It's natural. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s hilarious how limited our understanding is of heaven. We think of it as a never ending party with hoors, drinks, pleasures etc. 

Heaven is nothing but the proximity to Allah. Humans souls can only be satisfied when it goes back to its Original source. The purpose of creating soul was to be the reflection of Allah, than how can it ever be at peace with hoors/palaces/food and drinks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Genes
19 minutes ago, starlight said:

Lol,you won't see Shia scholars talking about 72 virgins like some others do.

Most men would love the idea of beautiful women fawning over him, no?? It's natural. 

It's basic biology.  The top twenty or thirty percent of men have 80 , or 90 percent access to women, and opportunities if unregulated to pass on their genes. Therefore there is a dopamine reward response , as well as a seretonin one (regulates self-worth, mood etc) inbuilt when a man is shown desire and feels wanted.

The majority of men aren't desired by women, who go after the genetic upper few deciles (top 20-30%). There have been studies based on dating website data , looking at this from a scientific view point and analysing that data with what we know about biology. The term is 'Female hypergamy'.

Most men might love the idea, but put aside even the idea of beautiful woman fawning over them, the majority will struggle to find a beautiful wom(a)n (singular) because of how Allah has created us. Very few men are genetically gifted on the level of Prophet Yusuf, to the extent they could have any mate they wished to select. 

So the test for most men is not to avoid attention of women, but to work on themselves and make up for genetic short comings.

Which is why the idea of 72 virgins might be far removed from the experience men get on earth, though some men get far more than that on account of their genes on Dunya and their test must be like that of Nabi Yusuf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, starlight said:

Lol,you won't see Shia scholars talking about 72 virgins like some others do.

Didn't shia believe in virgin Hoors.

I too have heared of virgin hoors and red in books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hadi5 said:

Didn't shia believe in virgin Hoors.

I too have heared of virgin hoors and red in books.

No, we do. It's in the Quran. What I meant was it isn't mentioned as often by our scholars as some other other schools. 

The term '72 virgins' gained popularity during the uprising of ISIS and suicide bombing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, starlight said:

No, we do. It's in the Quran. What I meant was it isn't mentioned as often by our scholars as some other other schools. 

The term '72 virgins' gained popularity during the uprising of ISIS and suicide bombing.

I am not concerned with number of 72.

But yes, it is fact that every Muslim believe that will get Virgin huris in hereafter.So I to believe it too.Whather they are more or less than 72, that doesn't matter.

But we should not kill innocents to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard any shia mention 72 virgins. I have only heard it from more extreme sunni sects to spread their proganda to young teenage boys and brainwash them.

makes no sense.

72 virgins, is that why we want paradise? and why 72? why not 73 or 71 or 1 or 1000000000. isn't it that what you ask for, you get in paradise?

so where did the number 72 come from?

isn't there also a hadith that says that 72 sects will go to hell?

tbh I don't see the point of discussing this, it's more of an insult to both men and woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to Shiachat. The hadith that says that is inauthentic according to both Shias and Sunnis. It's only a minority that believes in it and they're often terrorists. Why are they obsessed with it? Everyone has their motivation

"Imam As-Sadiq [as] said about the meaning of worship: “Worship is of three kinds: some people worship Allah, because they fear Him – so it is the worship of slaves; and a group worships Allah, Blessed and High is He, to seek reward – so it is the worship of hirelings; and a group worships Allah, Mighty and Great is He, because of (His) love – and this is the worship of the free, and it is the most excellent worship.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Heather Gilbert said:

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

It’s a Sunni belief, not a Shia one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, Heather Gilbert said:

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

If u haven’t notice in past couple genrations, men are going crazy over girls and likewise the same with girls go crazy over men in the past two generations. 

So im not surprised the “Moulana”’s heart is burning over 72 virgins. we twelvers don’t believe in this nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, starlight said:

No, we do. It's in the Quran. What I meant was it isn't mentioned as often by our scholars as some other other schools. 

The term '72 virgins' gained popularity during the uprising of ISIS and suicide bombing.

This Sufi based, anti-lslamic rhetoric began after 9-11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

and why 72? why not 73 or 71 or 1 or 1000000000.

Why not peace and quiet.

Heck, even in grade school we had a girl, R., who would talk to herself. And you want an eternity of mind-numbing chatter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

"Imam As-Sadiq [as] said about the meaning of worship: “Worship is of three kinds: some people worship Allah, because they fear Him – so it is the worship of slaves; and a group worships Allah, Blessed and High is He, to seek reward – so it is the worship of hirelings; and a group worships Allah, Mighty and Great is He, because of (His) love – and this is the worship of the free, and it is the most excellent worship.”

I heard something similar in a book if I remember correctly, that there are 3 types of worship.

1. the worship because of fear of Allah

2. the worship to seek reward (paradise)

3. the worship because Allah is worthy of all worship with no other motives.

something along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all of your reply and comment and now I know that some of you said it's not true and the practice of the Isis . I appreciate your comment . Thank you again to replied my post . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:
14 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

"Imam As-Sadiq [as] said about the meaning of worship: “Worship is of three kinds: some people worship Allah, because they fear Him – so it is the worship of slaves; and a group worships Allah, Blessed and High is He, to seek reward – so it is the worship of hirelings; and a group worships Allah, Mighty and Great is He, because of (His) love – and this is the worship of the free, and it is the most excellent worship.”

I heard something similar in a book if I remember correctly, that there are 3 types of worship.

1. the worship because of fear of Allah

2. the worship to seek reward (paradise)

3. the worship because Allah is worthy of all worship with no other motives.

something along those lines.

" الإمام علي (عليه السلام): " إن قوما عبدوا الله رغبة فتلك عبادة التجار، وإن قوما عبدوا الله رهبة فتلك عبادة العبيد، وإن قوما عبدوا الله شكرا فتلك عبادة الأحرار 

نهج البلاغة ٢٣٧

Imam Ali (عليه السلام): 

"A group of people worshiped Allah out of desire for reward, this is the worship of traders; another group worshiped Allah out of fear, this is the worship of slaves.; and another group worshiped Allah out of gratefulness, this is the worship of the free."

Nahj AlBalagha 237

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non-Muslims in the West were told about the "72 virgins" so much, they must think this obscurantism is an essential part of Islam. Out of all the things about Islam to know about, this is what they recollect the most about?

The power of media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brother Hassan said:

Non-Muslims in the West were told about the "72 virgins" so much, they must think this obscurantism is an essential part of Islam. Out of all the things about Islam to know about, this is what they recollect the most about?

The power of media. 

Well they might see the video clip of Muslim preaching to other men or boys about having 72 virgin after their death . I'm not surprise that Us non Muslim make mockery out of it and have jokes about 72 virgin in comedy show . Just watch Jeff Dunham and you get what I mean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

I never heard any shia mention 72 virgins. I have only heard it from more extreme sunni sects to spread their proganda to young teenage boys and brainwash them.

makes no sense.

72 virgins, is that why we want paradise? and why 72? why not 73 or 71 or 1 or 1000000000. isn't it that what you ask for, you get in paradise?

so where did the number 72 come from?

isn't there also a hadith that says that 72 sects will go to hell?

tbh I don't see the point of discussing this, it's more of an insult to both men and woman.

What do you think about the idea of there being no marriage in heaven...just a Holy God to worship forever and ever and to do His Holy will?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, Heather Gilbert said:

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

Revert from sunni islam to shia islam. I have literally never not even while i was sunni, heard someone saying that muslims get 72 virgins. In addition to this its widely accepted in sunni circles that such a thing does not exist. The only time ive ever heard of this concept mentioned is in satire lmao. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 1:26 AM, Heather Gilbert said:

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

Not an authentic Muslim belief at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Heather Gilbert said:

Well they might see the video clip of Muslim preaching to other men or boys about having 72 virgin after their death . I'm not surprise that Us non Muslim make mockery out of it and have jokes about 72 virgin in comedy show . Just watch Jeff Dunham and you get what I mean 

hi this idea of 72 virgins fabricated  after martyrf of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) & his companions  of by anti Shia people because number of martyred companions of Imam in majority of reports is reported as 72 person that because of that anti shia propaganda  forged it to 72 virgins to distract people  from reality of Karabal tragic incident & turns it to a joke for humilation of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) & his 72 martyred companions  in tragedy of Karbala.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LunaGal said:

What do you think about the idea of there being no marriage in heaven...just a Holy God to worship forever and ever and to do His Holy will?

I don't know much about heaven and hell. From what I read is that it will be beyond our imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salaam, even though the number 72 is not there are there not other numbers in Shiite thought?

E.g. I found this on a website if someone could fact check it that would be good:

"No believer will enter Paradise unless God Almighty gives him five hundred maidens (hur), with each maiden seventy slaves and seventy maidservants, each of whom is like the Manthoor lulu (pearl) and the maknoon lulu ".  

(Bihar al anwar, vol. 8, p. 205)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 6:26 PM, Heather Gilbert said:

Hello , 

I want to ask something and I'm a bit curious about why Muslim have obsession about 72 virgin ? In my country , Sunni Scholar always  remind the Muslim they will get 72 virgin in heaven . Eventhough I didn't believe in heaven and hell also afterlife . Its getting annoying and hilarious in the same time cuz my parents always listened to those type of scholar whether the scholar is female and male . 

I don't think that people have really understood what actually means by hurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Heather Gilbert said:

Well they might see the video clip of Muslim preaching to other men or boys about having 72 virgin after their death . I'm not surprise that Us non Muslim make mockery out of it and have jokes about 72 virgin in comedy show . Just watch Jeff Dunham and you get what I mean 

It is funny thought but it’s not part of true Islam’s Belief.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Salaam, even though the number 72 is not there are there not other numbers in Shiite thought?

E.g. I found this on a website if someone could fact check it that would be good:

"No believer will enter Paradise unless God Almighty gives him five hundred maidens (hur), with each maiden seventy slaves and seventy maidservants, each of whom is like the Manthoor lulu (pearl) and the maknoon lulu ".  

(Bihar al anwar, vol. 8, p. 205)

These are servants not lovers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...