Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
guest 2025

What projects are you guys working on?

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

It could be a shack, sweater, a teaching course,a game, a video, a goal, etc

I started doing Wim Hof Breathing Method and excercises, it's a 10 week course which has breathing exercises and cold showers... i'm in the first week, it's really amazing.

9 minutes ago, khamosh21 said:

I started doing Wim Hof Breathing Method and excercises, it's a 10 week course which has breathing exercises and cold showers... i'm in the first week, it's really amazing.

Do you live in a cold environment? The extreme temperature resistance is very attracting 

2 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

Do you live in a cold environment? The extreme temperature resistance is very attracting 

No, but we get freezing cold water in the shower...and i absolutely hate cold water, but have started enjoying the sensations after few times... 

also i feel no depression or stress since i started, it's a HUGE help in daily life

My continuing mission encompasses several projects in it with self sufficiency in its title. Energy and food independence and including sharing these technologies. Another is to share the light of knowledge. I have taught local younglings for free in my spare time with O and A levels / high school. My dear friend who had this field going and was a professional teacher died in his prime so this aspect is now beginning to suffer. I help people find careers and jobs for free. I am caretaker of the local Shia mosque committee, part of Imam bargah council and looking after, repairing and protecting the graveyard voluntarily. These days with the help of a rich and powerful like-minded person I am about to start a library adjacent to the mosque for which we have the oldest Islamic books in hard copy form as well as good secular books and I need only a desktop computer and a sizeable screen to complete its inventory. My dream is to make our small community produce good individuals known for something instead of producing ignorant garbage like all the rest. We want our people to receive all their rights. These days the social work has pretty much come to a screeching halt due to corona pandemic though and there is a sudden spike in crime too. Our community is comprised of Shia, Sunni, Wahabi and Christians. Except Wahabis the rest cooperate with each other admirably and it is joyful to witness. I hope I will be able to make my mark here before leaving this world. There is a little opposition, notably drug sellers whom I wish to remove from here somehow, another thing on my list of achievements before I die. Sadly the authorities are in bed with all sort of crime bosses at all levels in our country. Our provincial law minister for 5 years was recently arrested transporting narcotics. Our PM was convicted for extensive corruption among other crimes. Only two examples but this whole nation is like Sho'aib's nation, very corrupt, including our courts and lawl enforcement. So you can imagine.

1 hour ago, notme said:

I started a little garden. 

And then I volunteered a portion of our lawn to be used for a charity garden by a local mutual aid organization, and I've been helping with that a little. They plan to grow food and donate it to families in need through existing food distribution networks. 

I just hope something grows. 

hope we get pics

Guest ali_fatheroforphans

I'm working on something atm which I can't tell any of youse. It's in progress but can't wait to tell you all next year inshallah. This is something I can't even tell my best friend. Just be patient guys, when the time comes, you'll all be aware . 

Edited by notme
Language

Many things to do,

Bicycling with my wife (2.5 hrs..30km) on weekend. In the process of making electric fence to keep monkeys from attacking the garden. Making small tropical fish pond. Writing technical articles and share my experiences. Cleaning and repairing the house, and ensure the grass is cut nicely.  Give business strategies to coworkers during economic slow down,  and everything is online. Get in touch with clients.  Facilitate online workshops.  There are 4 monitors and two computer setups in my house computer room with good ergonomics.  Repair and do maintenance on my cars, motorcycles, bicycles, grass cutters, and electrical and electronic equipment.  Spend time on astronomy software and get update what is on the sky tonite.  Looking on way to get free water using ram pump and having a drone to monitor community area.  Ensure that body weight is under controlled, my aerobic fitness is high and not having acute or chronic musculoskeletal injuries.  Chose the tv programs to watch...all these Aalims are knowledgeable and speak with good English.  

The list can go on and on...

The fun part, everything is done by myself, alone.  Even cutting and trimming my own hair. No longer need to go to barber shop (no barber shops are opened).  If not due to lockdown, i will not able to do all these activities and enjoy it.

Alhamdulillah...

Edited by layman

4 hours ago, notme said:

I started a little garden. 

And then I volunteered a portion of our lawn to be used for a charity garden by a local mutual aid organization, and I've been helping with that a little. They plan to grow food and donate it to families in need through existing food distribution networks. 

I just hope something grows. 

- From my experience the most important thing is that either you create ridges of soil to plant seed in or use a raised bed. Drainage is very important and most seeds will need it.

- Of course you should read up on the species of the plant or seed you are sowing especially its specific tolerance of temperature range and soil pH above the rest.

- Treat them no different than babies. Water regularly at cool times. Do not let chicken, other birds or dogs or cats stay in the same area especially a while after sowing.

Edited by The Green Knight
typo

@The Green Knight thanks! I appreciate being able to learn from your expertise. 

I'm also starting a compost pile. Do you have any brief suggestions or links to good reputable instructive websites? I find contradictory information online and don't personally know anyone who composts. 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, GD41586 said:

preparing to burn this in.

I'm trying to build up a significant amount of pieces to offer for sale, so I can support myself.

WIN_20200527_10_38_32_Pro (2).jpg

Maybe you should try to trace the calligraphy/Arabic instead of writing it in freehand? 

Me, reading Nahjul Balagha and Tafsir cover to cover. That's all. I am actively trying not to do much. Lolz

On 5/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, starlight said:

Maybe you should try to trace the calligraphy/Arabic instead of writing it in freehand? 

Me, reading Nahjul Balagha and Tafsir cover to cover. That's all. I am actively trying not to do much. Lolz

I have no way to trace it. This is going on wood, so it has to be written freehand based on the tools I have at my disposal. I am not begging, but if you wanted to send me some tracing vellum (my stores do not have any & I do not know exactly what I am looking for), I would ship you a much better piece in return as a thank you for being a patron...j/k (or am I? haha)

Usually I make the calligraphy much bolder, but as this was a particularly small piece and a practice one at that, I wanted to see what results I'd get using the conical stylus tip to simply trace over the calligraphy (my actual calligraphy tip was lost by a child I used to live with, oh well).

the only problem therein, is filling in all of the "blank space" between the lettering without distorting the calligraphy. I'm looking at the finished piece right now, and I've noticed that the paint I used (a sort of sky blue) didn't fully take around the center, which is where I was encountering a lot of knot and fluid that made the smaller parts rather difficult. To be honest with you, I'm not terribly happy with how this one came out, so when I go to make another one, I'm going to select the next plaque size up and do the letters bold the way I had been doing them, it looks cleaner, more profound, and much more professional that way. But this will serve my personal decorative purposes in my bedroom.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, starlight said:

I've never tried to use transfer paper. I want to give it a shot, so I think I'll order some here

Transferring designs would make the work 100x easier and allow me to reproduce pieces quickly and easily as well as allow me to do more complex designs than I do now.

btw, I thought I was writing the Hujjat-Allah al-Mahdi (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). I didn't end up writing something offensive, did I :(?

4 hours ago, notme said:

I'm also starting a compost pile. Do you have any brief suggestions or links to good reputable instructive websites? I find contradictory information online and don't personally know anyone who composts. 

There are two types of composts. A kind created by aerobic bacteria and the other created by anaerobic bacteria. Some may take long (spanning months) to create. Others take weeks. Some smell of ammonia, some smell of earthly perfume (This is due to something called C:N (Carbon:Nitrogen) ratio). Now this C:N ratio is the key to the result. Each thing that can be aerobically composted has either a C or a N value (charts are on the internet). I made a lot while I was growing mushrooms. It can be made in 1 month roughly. The dry/non-green (saw dust, wheat chaff, soiled hay etc) constituents in a compost add C value to it. While the green/wet constituents (manures, peels, leaves, coffee/tea refuse, most kitchen waste) add N value. You might want to aim for a C:N ratio of 20-25. That is in the middle range and will give nice earthly aroma beside taking the least time.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I had a lot of wheat chaff from fields which was my Carbon giver constituent and for Nitrogen I simply used Urea fertilizer. I created a 5' high, 5' wide and 10' long pile of chaff and soaked it in water with a garden hose. It weight less than a ton (maybe 900 kg?). I soaked the pile once every two days until 10 days. It invites the bacteria present in the environment. Then I added 18 kg of Urea to water, dissolved it and poured it evenly over the compost pile without having water it a few days before so it absorbed all of it. I had this pile in a corner and one one side I erected a 10' long 6' high net, the front end was open. The net helps aerate the aerobic bacteria. The N is a food and protein for the bacteria to thrive and compost fast among other things. With enough N available the bacteria will digest proportional amounts of the C ( Carbon rich ) dry material too.

The C and N values of different possible constituents from those charts available online will help you determine the needed quantities of those materials to achieve your desired C:N ratio (21-27). Those charts will give you vast options for both. Since Urea fertilizer has an immense N ratio is why I used about 18 kg of it with the C ratio of wheat chaff (much smaller number than the N of Urea) weighing 900 kg to achieve a ratio within that desired range of 21 - 27. When you look at those charts you will figure it out.

Another rule of thumb is that we have to provide air circulation / oxygen for respiration to the aerobic bacteria eating the compost pile and to drive away the anaerobes by removing CO2. The bacteria will raise the temperature at the center of mass of the pile to a temperature up to 70 deg celcius with their respiration / energy production. For this we have to either "turn" the compost pile, or use a compost bin which can be rotated every few days so any trapped CO2 escapes and fresh air takes its place. If this isn't done then at the places where air does not reach there will be lumps of gooey compost which is produced by anaerobic bacteria and it will smell. Turning it manually is costly. I used some spare electrical fitting plastic pipes and perforated them and joined them together with duct tape and capped one end then I made a sort of pseudo-spiral pattern out of that pipe laying inside the compost pile by arranging it so as I placed compost in its place after a couple of turnings. Then at the open end I would just attach a leaf blower and let it supply air to the bacteria for a few minutes each day.

The heat inside the compost pile indicates that the manufacturing of compost is still in process. When it nears readiness you will notice small white specks all over the pile which are friendly and beneficial fungii. When the pile is composted then there will be little to no heat when you dig a few feet inside with your hand.

I also used around 40 kg of gypsum for giving the compost the desired pH and the texture I need to grow the specific type of mushroom (not necessary for you). I also added some potassium sulfate to it and some diammonium phosphate fertilizer for the mushrooms. Plants need N, P, K and S significantly more than all other nutrients and that is a different subject and can sometimes be added with things other than fertilizers in your compost, just like you will see a wide range of options available to you when you look at those C:N value charts of different compost materials.

I hope it helps. Let me know if there are any more questions.

Edited by The Green Knight

8 hours ago, layman said:

In the process of making electric fence to keep monkeys from attacking the garden. Making small tropical fish pond.

Oh wow mashaAllah, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a nice and fun place.

Edited by AStruggler

33 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Oh wow mashaAllah, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a nice and fun place.

I live in Malaysia, not too far from Putrajaya and Kuala Lumpur. There are more than 7 big universities (government and private) close to my place, many recreation places, good public transportation (MRT, LRT), few hospitals and public health centre, 30 minutes to International Airport (KLIA 1and 2), many Mosques, 1.5 drive to the beach, 15 min to one of the biggest shopping mall in Malaysia,  and peaceful....  i know majority of followers of Ahlulbayt in Malaysia, but I am a low profile person.  

I was offered a good job in the US (Koch Ind Inc, the largest private business in the US) after I graduated, but i turned down and happy to be in Malaysia.  That way a right decision.  But, nothing is better than walking from Najaf to Karbala for 72 km....

I am very grateful to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for all the Blessings.  

1 hour ago, layman said:

I live in Malaysia, not too far from Putrajaya and Kuala Lumpur. There are more than 7 big universities (government and private) close to my place, many recreation places, good public transportation (MRT, LRT), few hospitals and public health centre, 30 minutes to International Airport (KLIA 1and 2), many Mosques, 1.5 drive to the beach, 15 min to one of the biggest shopping mall in Malaysia,  and peaceful....  i know majority of followers of Ahlulbayt in Malaysia, but I am a low profile person.  

I was offered a good job in the US (Koch Ind Inc, the largest private business in the US) after I graduated, but i turned down and happy to be in Malaysia.  That way a right decision.  But, nothing is better than walking from Najaf to Karbala for 72 km....

Salam alaykum, fellow Malaysian here :bye:

3 hours ago, layman said:

Subhanallah, sounds wonderful.

3 hours ago, layman said:

was offered a good job in the US (Koch Ind Inc, the largest private business in the US) after I graduated, but i turned down and happy to be in Malaysia

Yes one really has hold tightly to his deen here if he doesn't want to end up losing it or have his kids lose it. This is everywhere to be honest but still, there's a lot of bombardment of haram and misguidance here that you may not find elsewhere. I speak from direct observation. 

Edited by AStruggler

On 5/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, GD41586 said:

tw, I thought I was writing the Hujjat-Allah al-Mahdi (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). I didn't end up writing something offensive, did I :(?

Salam / hi it's not offensive but because he is alive & we pray for hastening  his reappearance as Shias we use عجل الله تعالی فرجه الشریف  or shortened (عج) in end up writing his blessed name which you can see some example of it in below

image.png.0649784d85f31706d79291642887fdb4.pnghttp://moallaa.ir/?p=2045

فونت درود (سمبل) – Dorood font - shahregraphic | شهر گرافیک

http://shahregraphic.ir/download/dorood-font/

دانلود فونت مذهبی درود

https://nagsh.ir/دانلود-فونت-مذهبی-درود.html

On 5/28/2020 at 1:31 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam / hi it's not offensive but because he is alive & we pray for hastening  his reappearance as Shias we use عجل الله تعالی فرجه الشریف  or shortened (عج) in end up writing his blessed name which you can see some example of it in below

image.png.0649784d85f31706d79291642887fdb4.pnghttp://moallaa.ir/?p=2045

فونت درود (سمبل) – Dorood font - shahregraphic | شهر گرافیک

http://shahregraphic.ir/download/dorood-font/

دانلود فونت مذهبی درود

https://nagsh.ir/دانلود-فونت-مذهبی-درود.html

It's all so beautiful & this is one of the aspects of Islamic culture that made me really sit up and take notice years back (the calligraphy of names of prophets, etc rather than pictures). I wish I knew the language so I could create my own. I can obviously speak Arabic well enough to say my prayers five times a day, but I attempted to begin on Memrise and Arabic is unlike any language I have ever seen before.