Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is "listening to music" or "singing" granted as unlawful by all the scholar?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Most of the scholars like Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Sistani, Ayatollah al-Khoei and many other Sunni and Shia scholars believe and claim " Music " to be a strictly unlawful act in Islam. I want to know if there is any scholar or jurist who believes and claims "Music" to be lawful. Here, I meant by the word "scholar" is a " Twelver Marja' " or a " Sunni Grand Mufti ".      

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, آريان عالي ميشكن said:

Most of the scholars like Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Sistani, Ayatollah al-Khoei and many other Sunni and Shia scholars believe and claim " Music " to be a strictly unlawful act in Islam. I want to know if there is any scholar or jurist who believes and claims "Music" to be lawful. Here, I meant by the word "scholar" is a " Twelver Marja' " or a " Sunni Grand Mufti ".      

Sayyid Ali Khamenei ruled music permissible as long as it’s Persian classical, folk or pop music. He also admires Western music. On the other hand, during the revolution, Ayatollah Khomeini told the "Keyhan", Iran's major conservative daily newspaper:  "...music is like a drug, whoever acquires the habit can no longer devote himself to important activities. We must completely eliminate it." He also pointed out in 1979: “If you want independence for your country, you must suppress music and not fear to be called old‐fashioned. Music is a betrayal of the nation and of youth.” Among the maraji’, only a tiny minority allows some or any form of music.

As for the Sunnis, Sufis allow music. Wahhabis and non-Sufi Sunnis traditionally considered it haram. How far was and is prohibition enforced by the Sunnis, is another subject. Nowadays you can find music in all Islamic countries. 

• Advanced Member

The stance of the maraji is unanimous in that lawahi or ghina music (music suitable for amusement gatherings) (or misguiding from the way of Allah, or distracting from the way of Allah) is Haram.

Mainstream Sunni positions:

Usually it is ruled that only vocals and percussion are allowed, and that musical instruments are Haram. But there are alternative opinions. There was a good video on it, but I can no longer find it.

Sufi position: