Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
thegreenleaf

Is Religion Expanding Our Breasts?

Rate this topic

Assalamu alaykum. Eid Mubarak, brothers and sisters.

One of the recurring themes of the Quran is ‘expansion of the heart/breast (sadr). When God chose Moses, peace be upon him, as his messenger, Moses prayed:
Lord! Expand me my breast (20:25)

In another surah, God says:

Whomsoever God wishes to guide, He expands his breasts for submission; and whomsoever He wishes to lead astray, He makes his breast narrow and constricted, as if he were climbing to the sky. (6:125)

What I understand from these verses is that religion should expand our hearts. There should be enough room in our hearts for everyone. When the sun shines, it shines on everyone. When clouds rain, they rain on everyone. When a tree gives its shade to a passerby, it does not ask what his religion is.

I remember this story about the Sufi Abul Hassan Kharaqani. In his Sufi lodge, he would feed the homeless and the poor. He used to tell his disciples,

هرکه بدین سرای درآید نانش دهید و از ایمانش مپرسید؛ که هرکه به خوان خدای‌تعالی به جان ارزد، البته به خوان ابوالحسن به نان ارزد 
Anyone who enters this house, give him bread, and do not ask what his religion is; for whoever has deserved to receive life from God, deserves also to receive bread from Abul Hassan.

I wonder, why has this ‘expansion of the breast’ been forgotten? Why do so many religious people in our day seem so fretful? Christians think they are closer to God than all others; Muslims think they alone are God's chosen people. Even within the house of Islam, we see that there are Sunnis who hate and exclude Shias, and Shias who despise and exclude Sunnis. 

Why don’t we leave all judgement to God? God knows. We do not know. God knows who is close to Him and who is not. God knows who will be saved and who will be damned. Our job is not to judge other people. Our job is to worship and love God the best we can, and to be generous and kind to everyone. After all, we are all branches of the same tree. God is our Root.

Let me know your thoughts. 

Edited by thegreenleaf

Wa alaykum as salaam. Allah ibarak feekum. 

Perhaps because our religious identity is no longer purely religious. It has become tarnished by social, cultural, political and egoistical influences. 

This doesn't mean that islam doesn't include social/cultural/political considerations. It does. But rather than adapting our social/cultural/political views to Islam, we seem to go the other way around and twist our religion until it fits into our preconceived notions and preferences.

Islam says feed the poor (Imam Ali (عليه السلام) literally walked around the streets at night doing this) and visit the sick. We spend our nights gaming, watching silly videos or having repetitive 'dinner parties' where well fed people share more food than they can physically eat.

Islam says pay the khums, zakat and sadaqah, society says buy a house with more rooms than you need and a car with a large motor/lots of horsepower.

Islam says the best among you is the one with the most taqwa, society/culture says don't marry your children into other ethnicities and social classes from yourself, try and invite yourself into upper class circles and avoid people who are poor. 

Islam says please God, society says please your boss and please your friends. 

Islam says take care of your neighbour, society says build a wall or a fence so that they dont step on your property. 

The list could go on forever. 

Edited by Mahdavist

Tasawwuf is a very controversial thing among Shias and Sunnis. It is a dangerous path of self-realisation that misinterprets orthodoxy many times leading to heresy or apostasy, such as above where we are encouraged to engage in religious ecumenism. One thing is to help others regardless of their belief, another to abandon or undermine the fundamentals of Islamic beliefs such as that we aren’t on the only right path, that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is in every living thing, that we don’t have to pray because He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can we worshiped by appreciating His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creations like wind or mountains etc. Irfan has been condemned as dangerous by many of our classical scholars. On the other hand, others believed in mysticism like Ayatollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Khamenei, Ayatollah Tabataba'i and many from modern day Iranian ulama. 

Test yourself:

Do you associate with people who have less money than you? Do you attend their gatherings? Are you influenced by the wealth of a person when selecting a gift for them?

Have you ever washed and buried a muslim who wasn't related to you? Have you ever directly given food to a poor person? Did you ever spare a thought for the orphans in your region or other regions? 

How many of the people who you invite to your home are converts to islam? How many are from different ethnicities to yourself? 

Do you attend a masjid or religious center nearby? How often? Do you ever go early to help prepare or return late because you were cleaning up? 

How often do you go to care homes and hospitals to visit the sick? Do you volunteer over there? 

Have you paid khums this year? Did you consider paying zakat? Do you regularly pay sadaqah? Are you prepared to spend as much in charity as you do on an annual holiday? Are prepared to remove some options on your new car and pay the balance in charity? Is your house larger than your requirements?

Have you prepared a will and considered where you will be buried? Are you ready to move on? Hajj completed, debts paid, prayers completed and fasts completed? 

If you randomly select a surah from the Qur'an, do you know what it speaks about? If you randomly select any one Imam, do you know know enough about them to give a 5 minute presentation? Are you following the Qur'an and the ahlulbayt as instructed by the prophet((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))?

Salam it's just a Sufi viewpoint that we must leave  anything & wait for judgment of Allah but we must have love & hate because of Allah & rest of sects don't  have infallible  live Imam so they just are trying to stick to this good word to justify their wrongdoing  like Khawarij slogan that their slogan was " there is no rule except rule of Allah" that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said that is a true word but you have wrong intention from saying  it which now people like Suffis altered it to leaving everything  to Allah judgment  in hereafter anyway I don't this hatred between all followers of religion but I'm not neutral about their wrong doing for example wrong doing of some people in a part of world caused spread of Covid-19 but we can't be angry about a certain race for spreading disease but I'm angry about behavior  that caused spread of disease around the world but many people are judgmental about them and call it "China virus" & anti shia wahabist called it "Shia virus" while other people among haters were responsible for spreading  disease too but they called it a test for themselves & judgment of  Allah on nonbelievers (Shias , chinese & etc).

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

13 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

One of the recurring themes of the Quran is ‘expansion of the heart/breast (sadr). When God chose Moses, peace be upon him, as his messenger, Moses prayed:
Lord! Expand me my breast (20:25)

The other complete verse of Quran as mentioned in OP is given below:

فَمَن يُرِدِ اللَّهُ أَن يَهْدِيَهُ يَشْرَحْ صَدْرَهُ لِلْإِسْلَامِ ۖ وَمَن يُرِدْ أَن يُضِلَّهُ يَجْعَلْ صَدْرَهُ ضَيِّقًا حَرَجًا كَأَنَّمَا يَصَّعَّدُ فِي السَّمَاءِ ۚ كَذَٰلِكَ يَجْعَلُ اللَّهُ الرِّجْسَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Therefore (for) whomsoever Allah intends that He would guide him aright, He expands his breast for Islam, and (for) whomsoever He intends that He should cause him to err, He makes his breast strait and narrow as though he were ascending upwards; thus does Allah lay uncleanness on those who do not believe. (6:125)

The uncleanness is laid on those who do not believe. Thus non believers are uncleanliness ie Rijs.

وَمَا كَانَ لِنَفْسٍ أَن تُؤْمِنَ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ ۚ وَيَجْعَلُ الرِّجْسَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

And it is not for a soul to believe except by Allah's permission; and He casts uncleanness on those who will not understand. (10:100)

Now look at the following verse:

إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيُذْهِبَ عَنكُمُ الرِّجْسَ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَيُطَهِّرَكُمْ تَطْهِيرًا

Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a (thorough) purifying. (33:33)

As Rijs ie uncleanness is kept away from Ahl alabayt of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).  Thus making it clear that the believers are expanded their breast and lead towards pure Ahl alabayt as. of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). They (عليه السلام) are never separated from the verses of Quran according to the hadith thaqlyn. They are our leaders after the prophet towards the true path of islam.

Then from Sura Al Anam (6) very next verse is quoted:

وَهَٰذَا صِرَاطُ رَبِّكَ مُسْتَقِيمًا ۗ قَدْ فَصَّلْنَا الْآيَاتِ لِقَوْمٍ يَذَّكَّرُونَ

And this is the path of your Lord, (a) right (path); indeed We have made the communications clear for a people who mind. (6:126)

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010

2 hours ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

Tasawwuf is a very controversial thing among Shias and Sunnis. It is a dangerous path of self-realisation that misinterprets orthodoxy many times leading to heresy or apostasy...

I define tasawwuf as the inner dimension of Islam. No-one denies Islam has an inner dimension: much of the Quran and ahadith of the Prophet and Imams عليهم السلام address this inner dimension; therefore, one can be against some forms/expressions of tasawwuf, but not against tasawwuf as such. Some people just don't like the name tasawwuf : well, you can call it iman, ihsan, zuhd, irfan or any other name of such kind. We shouldn't argue over names. 

where we are encouraged to engage in religious ecumenism

I don't encourage religious ecumenism. I just think we should be less judgmental.

that we don’t have to pray because He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can we worshiped by appreciating His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creations like wind or mountains etc.

I never said this. We ought to pray.

1 hour ago, Muslim2010 said:

As Rijs ie uncleanness is kept away from Ahl alabayt of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

True, but this doesn't mean that all Shia are purified, while Sunnis are unclean (I hope this wasn't your interpretation of the verse!!)

The ahl-al-bayt عليهم السلام called us (all Muslims, and in fact, all humanity) to become better people: kind, patient, truthful, humble, charitable. A Sunni who has these virtues is a better follower of the Quran and the ahl-al-bayt than a Shia who is arrogant, unkind, dishonest, etc.

For men and women who are devoted to God, believing men and women, obedient men and women, truthful men and women, steadfast men and women, humble men and women, charitable men and women, fasting men and women, chaste men and women, men and women who remember God often; God has prepared forgiveness and a rich reward. [33:35]

Edited by thegreenleaf

15 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

The ahl-al-bayt عليهم السلام called us (all Muslims, and in fact, all humanity) to become better people: kind, patient, truthful, humble, charitable. A Sunni who has these virtues is a better follower of the Quran and the ahl-al-bayt than a Shia who is arrogant, unkind, dishonest, etc.

I have only quoted the verses of Quran to explain my view. There is no Shia or Sunni mentioned in this response. Please do not mix up the concept of Quran for  purified Ahl albayt (عليه السلام) of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

My view is based on the verses of Quran and hadith thaqlyn (two weighty things) that is present in both Shia and Sunni books. I hope this clarifies the statement  of OP about expanding the breast to Islam.

Edited by Muslim2010

10 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

One of the recurring themes of the Quran is ‘expansion of the heart/breast (sadr).

Thegreenleaf

I hope you don't mind me as a follower of Jesus contributing to this discussion.  I too find the phrase interesting.  As I read the Qur'an there are many references to breast

Qur'an 3:154  Allah might try what is in your breasts and prove what is in your hearts. Allah is Aware of what is hidden in the breasts

These verses seem to be linking hearts and breasts.  It is as if the Qur'an sees the breast and the heart as the place where our motives, emotions and desires are.  God is able to see these things though we may try and hide them from other people. (quite a challenge! How often do we hide our true self, which may not be very nice, and put on a religious face to others?)

Qur'an 6:125 So whoever Allah wants to guide - He expands his breast to Islam;

This idea of expanding the breast looks to me like it means to accept or help to understand.

Qur'an 10:57  O mankind, there has to come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers.

What an interesting verse coming in a passage that talks about God's actions.  How does God go about healing our breasts?  The emotions and motivations that so often hurt me and cause me to hurt others.  I long for them to be healed and transformed.  I believe that it is only God through the power of his Holy Spirit working in us that we can be changed.

10 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

Why don’t we leave all judgement to God? God knows. We do not know. God knows who is close to Him and who is not. God knows who will be saved and who will be damned. Our job is not to judge other people. Our job is to worship and love God the best we can, and to be generous and kind to everyone. After all, we are all branches of the same tree. God is our Root.

I found this a lovely plea - Thank you

The verses I mention call God "The One who knows what is in our breasts"

The Zebur (Psalms) of David has similar ideas

Psalm 44

20 If we had forgotten the name of our God
    or spread out our hands to a foreign god,
21 would not God have discovered it,
    since he knows the secrets of the heart?

Psalm 139

23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.

There is a prayer in the Injil - Ephesians Chapter 1 - here is part of it and I pray it for myself and for those reading this post!

18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Edited by Dave follower of The Way
wrong spelling

11 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I hope you don't mind me as a follower of Jesus contributing to this discussion. 

Not at all. Thank you. I learn from your insight.

11 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you

The Quran also attributes both "understanding" and "vision" to the heart:

Have these people not travelled through the land with hearts to understand and ears to hear? It is not people’s eyes that are blinded, but their hearts within their breasts. [22:46]

8 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Agree with all your views except this. God is sustainer of the gardener and its creator. Our roots are our beliefs.

What I meant was, just as a tree is dependent on its root for its existence and growth, we are dependent on God. Any metaphor fails if you push it too far.

Edited by thegreenleaf

On 5/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, thegreenleaf said:

What I meant was, just as a tree is dependent on its root for its existence and growth, we are dependent on God. Any metaphor fails if you push it too far.

Metaphor shall be in accordance with Quran. Roots are parts of self, that's why Quran calls beliefs as roots of Momin.

1 hour ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Metaphor shall be in accordance with Quran. Roots are parts of self, that's why Quran calls beliefs as roots of Momin.

As I said earlier, every metaphor has the potential to be misunderstood; which is why they shouldn't be taken literally. For example, if I say Zayd is like a lion, what I mean is that he is brave, not that he has a tail. 

9 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

As I said earlier, every metaphor has the potential to be misunderstood; which is why they shouldn't be taken literally. For example, if I say Zayd is like a lion, what I mean is that he is brave, not that he has a tail. 

Metaphor shall be according to the attributes of the entity spoken of. Saying roots makes it juzz. I differed on the basis of Tauheed as taught to us. You can keep your beliefs bro no offence. 

1 hour ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Metaphor shall be according to the attributes of the entity spoken of. Saying roots makes it juzz. I differed on the basis of Tauheed as taught to us. You can keep your beliefs bro no offence. 

I get what you are saying, brother. A root is part of a tree; but God is not part of His creation. I agree; but this is not what I meant. You could say that our belief in God is our Root, while God is our Origin. The main point still stands. 

Edited by thegreenleaf

9 hours ago, thegreenleaf said:

I get what you are saying, brother. A root is part of a tree; but God is not part of His creation. I agree; but this is not what I meant. You could say that our belief in God is our Root, while God is our Origin. The main point still stands. 

Hmmm ok bro. Now, I get it. :D

Thank you and I'm sorry for troubling you so much. 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:26 PM, thegreenleaf said:

define tasawwuf as the inner dimension of Islam.

Salam I define Tasawwuf as something by cover of good looking of Islamic appearance that filled with hinduism & other unIslamic belief like a Trojan horse to destroy Islam from within of itslef. 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, Mahdavist said:

Test yourself:

Do you associate with people who have less money than you? Do you attend their gatherings? Are you influenced by the wealth of a person when selecting a gift for them?

Have you ever washed and buried a muslim who wasn't related to you? Have you ever directly given food to a poor person? Did you ever spare a thought for the orphans in your region or other regions? 

How many of the people who you invite to your home are converts to islam? How many are from different ethnicities to yourself? 

Do you attend a masjid or religious center nearby? How often? Do you ever go early to help prepare or return late because you were cleaning up? 

How often do you go to care homes and hospitals to visit the sick? Do you volunteer over there? 

Have you paid khums this year? Did you consider paying zakat? Do you regularly pay sadaqah? Are you prepared to spend as much in charity as you do on an annual holiday? Are prepared to remove some options on your new car and pay the balance in charity? Is your house larger than your requirements?

Have you prepared a will and considered where you will be buried? Are you ready to move on? Hajj completed, debts paid, prayers completed and fasts completed? 

If you randomly select a surah from the Qur'an, do you know what it speaks about? If you randomly select any one Imam, do you know know enough about them to give a 5 minute presentation? Are you following the Qur'an and the ahlulbayt as instructed by the prophet((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))?

Thank you for your post.A lot of us need to ask ourselves these questions. 

@Ashvazdanghe
I haven't got through all of them. Sufism/Irfan is ultimately a name. So many things come under that name: some are genuine, some are corrupt and misleading. Anyway, this post is not about tasawwuf. I quoted a Sufi because I like what he says about loving all humanity. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says the same: "A person is either your brother in faith or your brother in humanity."

Edited by thegreenleaf

On 5/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, OrthodoxTruth said:

Tasawwuf is a very controversial thing among Shias and Sunnis. It is a dangerous path of self-realisation that misinterprets orthodoxy many times leading to heresy or apostasy, such as above where we are encouraged to engage in religious ecumenism. One thing is to help others regardless of their belief, another to abandon or undermine the fundamentals of Islamic beliefs such as that we aren’t on the only right path, that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is in every living thing, that we don’t have to pray because He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can we worshiped by appreciating His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creations like wind or mountains etc. Irfan has been condemned as dangerous by many of our classical scholars. On the other hand, others believed in mysticism like Ayatollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Khamenei, Ayatollah Tabataba'i and many from modern day Iranian ulama. 

Irfan and sofism is the core and crux of Islam.Religion without Irfan is corpse with soul.

58 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Some Scholar.

1 hour ago, islam25 said:

Irfan and sofism is the core and crux of Islam.Religion without Irfan is corpse with soul.

The core and crux of Islam is Wilaya, without which one cannot taste true 'Irfan'. 

7 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Don't waste time

Making a statement and then referencing it back to 'some scholar' when quizzed about it is wasting time. 

8 hours ago, Moalfas said:

The core and crux of Islam is Wilaya, without which one cannot taste true 'Irfan'. 

Did anybody told Irfan can be tasted without willayah, that you had to say like it.

What is the definition of wali and how a person becomes wali.

50 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Did anybody told Irfan can be tasted without willayah, that you had to say like it.

What is the definition of wali and how a person becomes wali.

al-Salaamu Alayikum wa Rahmatallahi wa Barakatohu

Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim.
Allah (S) has told us through the Ahl-al-Bayt (A) about the position of such people like those who follow Irfaniyyah (with practical, spiritual usage) and those who are Sufi.

Imam al-Ridha (A) has, indeed, been quoted to have said: "...Those who speak out against tasawwuf and its followers are like those who fought against the kuffar alongside Rasoolallah (S)." I will get the reference for this later, In sha Allah.

And wali means friend. In the context of the A'immah (A) (plural for Imam), it means guardian due to their role of guarding the truth. 

And what my friend here meant by saying:

9 hours ago, Moalfas said:

is that without the wilayah of Imam Ali (A) and the remaining 11 (A), you cannot taste true knowledge. And he's right whether anyone else likes it or not. 

Wudhu without wilayah is just playing with water. Dhikr without wilayah is just meaningless words. Salah without wilayah is just wasting your time. 

Ithna 'Ashariyyah is the only way to connect with Allah.

Wa Barakallahu feekum,
Allahumma salli ala Muhammad wa Aalih Muhammad wa 3jal farajahum wa la3n 3da'ihim wa qatilatihim ajma3in.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:09 AM, Moalfas said:

19 hours ago, Sayyid Ali Shah al-Hasani said:

Ithna 'Ashariyyah is the only way to connect with Allah.

Apparently, it’s one of the characteristics of SC that even a post about being kind and generous to all humanity (and in fact, all creation) can turn into a Sunni-Shia debate.

All this talk about ‘Group X is right’ and ‘Group Y is wrong’ is making me feel nauseous.

All Prophets عليهم السلام called us to be good. God, in the Quran, calls us to be good. The Imams عليهم السلام call us to be good people. Being good means being worshipping and loving God with all of one's heart. Being good means being truthful, trustworthy, humble, patient, kind, charitable. Being good means helping those in need. It means feeding the hungry, supporting orphans, being compassionate to the vulnerable. 

That's what the Prophets عليهم السلام focused on. That's what the Quran focuses on. That's what the Imams عليهم السلام focused on. This is the core and crux of Islam.

If you want, you can call it tasawwuf. You can call it Irfan. You can call it Iman. You can call it following the ahl-al-bayt. But regardless of what we call it, we should all try to be better servants of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) and to be more kind, more generous, more charitable to other human beings, and in fact, to all creations of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Let me quote again the verses that I also quoted in the beginning of this thread:

33_35.thumb.png.57d77ed55cdb4ad15fe914c2e031d952.png
For men and women who are devoted to God,
believing men and women,
obedient men and women,
truthful men and women,
patient men and women,
humble men and women,
charitable men and women,
fasting men and women,
chaste men and women,
men and women who remember God often;
God has prepared forgiveness and a rich reward. [33:35]

So, instead of arguing about which madhhab is better, let’s ask ourselves: do we worship and love God wholeheartedly? How sincere is our faith in Him? Are we patient when dealing with others? Do we always tell the truth to our fellow human beings? Are we humble? Are we charitable? Do we help those in need? Do we remember God often? 

Edited by thegreenleaf

Another reminder from the Book of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

90_12.png.c71e6934b694ffaaf3cd3bf8b15aa8b1.png

Do you know what the steep path is?

90_13.png.b5401d820a9a44e211edb493e723bfad.png

It is to free a slave,

90_14.png.4701f131243849ca2c642b27ca68b254.png

To feed on a day of severe hunger

90_15.png.92412635aca6559c504aa8ab336d1644.png

An orphaned relative

90_16.png.7cbe413e7f4ea4cc53f90705b05827e7.png

Or a poor person in distress

90_17.png.621bd5b88e5b21a12b70222c401c39d8.png

to be one of those who believe, who urge one another to patience and kindness

90_18.png.f4575abb1ae91de697271dfd9cd41cbf.png

Those who do this are the companions of the Right Hand. 

[Quran 90:12-18]

On 5/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Sayyid Ali Shah al-Hasani said:

Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim.
Allah (S) has told us through the Ahl-al-Bayt (A) about the position of such people like those who follow Irfaniyyah (with practical, spiritual usage) and those who are Sufi.

Imam al-Ridha (A) has, indeed, been quoted to have said: "...Those who speak out against tasawwuf and its followers are like those who fought against the kuffar alongside Rasoolallah (S)." I will get the reference for this later, In sha Allah.

And wali means friend. In the context of the A'immah (A) (plural for Imam), it means guardian due to their role of guarding the truth. 

I have heared scholars who have praised Irfan and Sofism. So definitely they might be knowing the hadith that posted to oppose Sofism.Those scholars have presented Irfan and sofism as real Islam that Prophet saw and Imams teach.

The definition of willayah you gave is ok.

But there is something more that we need to know.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, thegreenleaf said:

I define tasawwuf as the inner dimension of Islam. No-one denies Islam has an inner dimension: much of the Quran and ahadith of the Prophet and Imams عليهم السلام address this inner dimension; therefore, one can be against some forms/expressions of tasawwuf, but not against tasawwuf as such. Some people just don't like the name tasawwuf : well, you can call it iman, ihsan, zuhd, irfan or any other name of such kind. We shouldn't argue over names. 

You are absolutely right.Tassauf is understanding of Islam beyond the letter.You rightly termed it inner diamension of Islam.I have heared shia Scholar from Qum who are praising the Tassauf and say it is real understanding of Islam.

Definitely Tassauf means reaching Allah through zuhud,paiety and Inculcating nobel characters (love, mercy, forgiving, benevolence etc).