Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Justin Lee

Riches, Healing, & Liberty

Rate this topic

The book of Isaiah 61:1-4 says:

The Spirit of the Lord God is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and freedom to the prisoners; 2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of our God’s vengeance; to comfort all who mourn, 3 to provide for those who mourn in Zion; to give them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, festive oil instead of mourning, and splendid clothes instead of despair. And they will be called righteous trees, planted by the Lord to glorify him. 4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins; they will restore the former devastations; they will renew the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations.

I've meditated on this passage for the last couple of days and found multiple aspects of it very comforting. I often find that I'm so broken and captive by my sin and shame that I'm helpless to free myself.  However, this passage brings hope that God can do what I cannot!

Points that mean a lot to me:

• My soul has been wounded by sin and shame.  But God has healing in store for my heart
  • Sin has captured and imprisoned me.  However, God has declared liberty and freedom! I'm no longer bound to those things.
  • I cry and grieve my shortcomings like one who mourns and wails, but instead, God has made me crowned and dressed me as royalty.
  • I will be called a tree of righteousness, full of strength and standing tall.  God is glorified and praised by how I've been changed.
  • The places in my heart that are run down and empty He helps build back up into being full of life and flourishing.

Question 1: What are your thoughts on these verses?

Question 2: How do you find encouragement when discouraged by human brokeness?