Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ehsan

Don't fear

Recommended Posts

Yes I'm with you

At this time I don't want to fear and I don't want others to fear either.  Your poem gives some basis for not fearing.  I think there are some illusions in it which (as a non Muslim) I don't quite get.

I'll try and write a poem called Don't Fear and post it - hope we can chat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ehsan said:
This fire is holy, don't fear
Dunya and Akhira are mere garment, don't fear
Take off both sandals, don't fear
When the spark becomes a flame
Burn your clothes, don't fear

For some reason this reminded me of the famous incident where Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) asked his companion Haroon al Makki to go and sit in a furnace. 

https://www.al-islam.org/anecdotes-reflection-part-1-sayyid-ali-akbar-sadaaqat/8-examination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, Ehsan said:
This land is holy, don't fear
This fire is holy, don't fear
Dunya and Akhira are mere garment, don't fear
Take off both sandals, don't fear
When the spark becomes a flame
Burn your clothes, don't fear

That's interesting it made me think of two incidents

The first is Moses before the burning bush.  God said "Take off your sandals for the place where you are standing is holy"

God was in the fire - A holy and separate God yet he came close to Moses and spoke with him.  We too can come into God's presence with reverence and he calls us by name.

The second story is about three believers at the time of the prophet Daniel. They refused to worship the king's idol and were thrown into a furnace. (Daniel Chapter 3 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+3&version=NIV )

In the furnace the king saw an extra person walking with the three men - someone like the son of God - when he called the men, they came out but there was no sign or smell or burning on them.  Even iwhen we feel we are in a furnace, I believe God walks with us and protects us. - Don't fear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

The first is Moses before the burning bush.  God said "Take off your sandals for the place where you are standing is holy"

God was in the fire - A holy and separate God yet he came close to Moses and spoke with him.  We too can come into God's presence with reverence and he calls us by name.

Now that you mention it I definitely see a lot of potential references to this incident as revealed in Surah Taha 

 

9. Has the story of Moses reached you?

10. When he saw a fire, he said to his family, “Stay; I have noticed a fire; Perhaps I can bring you a torch therefrom, or find some guidance by the fire.”

11. Then, when he reached it, he was called, “O Moses.

12. I—I am your Lord. Take off your shoes. You are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.

13. I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed.

14. I—I am God. There is no God but I. So serve Me, and practice the prayer for My remembrance.

15. The Hour is coming—but I keep it almost hidden—so that each soul will be paid for what it endeavors.

16. And do not let him who denies it and follows his desire turn you away from it, lest you fall.

17. And what is that in your right-hand, O Moses?”

18. He said, “This is my staff. I lean on it, and herd my sheep with it, and I have other uses for it.”

19. He said, “Throw it, O Moses.”

20. So he threw it—thereupon it became a moving serpent.

21. He said, “Take hold of it, and do not fear. We will restore it to its original condition.

22. And press your hand to your side; it will come out white, without a blemish—another sign.

23. That We may show you some of Our greatest signs.

24. Go to Pharaoh; He has transgressed.”

25. He said, “My Lord, put my heart at peace for me.

26. And ease my task for me.

27. And untie the knot from my tongue.

28. So they can understand my speech.

29. And appoint an assistant for me, from my family.

30. Aaron, my brother.

31. Strengthen me with him.

32. And have him share in my mission.

33. That we may glorify You much.

34. And remember You much.

35. You are always watching over us.”

36. He said, “You are granted your request, O Moses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, Mahdavist said:

Surah Taha 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThdiekVbLcNyGZm9qAJjZ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLjNRCtfXMbDziZh42Qar

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPD-ao4Rq7-qjlKOPppV8

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxd7Ih9NyWniwp6LlCA84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 10:49 AM, Ehsan said:

What do you think "both sandals" symbolizes?

Maybe when we come into God's presence we need to take off two things: our human pride and recognise our shame and sin, and we also have to take off our spiritual pride and recognise that even our prayers and religious activities are not good enough to bring us into God's presence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 7:48 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

God was in the fire

Ahhh He wasn’t read Deuteronomy 4:15-19 rather God was creating sound waves through the fire to talk to Moses. That fire was a miracle hence why it is Holy and sacred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Friend
15 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

Ahhh He wasn’t read Deuteronomy 4:15-19

Hey Three1Three

This is a great poem about meeting God in our fear.

What are you doing nit picking?  I think you are off topic and no response to the question about sandals.  At least Follower of the way made an effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Friend said:

Hey Three1Three

This is a great poem about meeting God in our fear.

What are you doing nit picking?  I think you are off topic and no response to the question about sandals.  At least Follower of the way made an effort.

Lol, only if you had a half a brain you know the lies upon lies that desperate trinitarians says regarding the OT and the Gospel(s) they claim they have read them all and expose themselves right after. I explained why jesus took his slippers off it’s because the fire was a miracle (aya) from Allah hence why it is holy and sacred, it is a common teaching in the OT that you have to be in a pure state once you enter a sacred or holy place, the dust that was sorrounded by the fire was holy hence why God tells Moses to take his shoes off before getting close to the scared area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Maybe when we come into God's presence we need to take off two things: our human pride and recognise our shame and sin, and we also have to take off our spiritual pride and recognise that even our prayers and religious activities are not good enough to bring us into God's presence.

Salam,

That is one interesting meaning of what "both sandals" could represent. Another one could be This World and the Next. I.e in the presence of God, both this and the next world are nothing more than sandals, i.e means to reach Him, and in themselves they hold no other value than this. The one whose aim is only some rivers and forests in the next world, whose like can also be found in this world, will not be allowed to passed the threshold into "The Holy Valley of Tuwwa", i.e the Sacred Presence. 

This should also be a reminder when we stand in our daily Salat prayer, which is not allowed to be performed with shoes, that only should we take off our physical shoes, but also our Worldly and Other Worldly desires, since these are actually mere manifestations of God and grounds for us to reach Him, they are not the actual goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ehsan said:

Another one could be This World and the Next. I.e in the presence of God, both this and the next world are nothing more than sandals, i.e means to reach Him, and in themselves they hold no other value than this.

I like that idea too.  It is kind of saying we come to God "naked" we have nothing from this world or the next that we can rely on. 

I think taking sandals off to pray is a great reminder that we are on a journey and that journey ends (we take off our shoes) when we are in God's presence with nothing of our own.  I beleieve that at that point I'm clothed in God's righteousness through God's grace shown in Jesus the Messiah, otherwise I wouldn't be able to be found in his presence.  My "sandals" are dirty from my journey.

Can I say again how much I liked your poem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ehsan said:

Yes. It's nothing spectacular, just some mere feelings and thoughts that I could not express otherwise.

I disagree. Give yourself some credit and never stop writing.

Your words are beautiful and have depth.

"A wise person is silent and rarely wants to show his wisdom. A fool is always vocal and uses every opportunity to show his foolishness." – Debasish Mridha

Edited by Trumpet
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, THREE1THREE said:

Lol, only if you had a half a brain you know the lies upon lies that desperate trinitarians says regarding the OT and the Gospel(s) they claim they have read them all and expose themselves right after. I explained why jesus took his slippers off it’s because the fire was a miracle (aya) from Allah hence why it is holy and sacred, it is a common teaching in the OT that you have to be in a pure state once you enter a sacred or holy place, the dust that was sorrounded by the fire was holy hence why God tells Moses to take his shoes off before getting close to the scared area. 

THREE1THREE, 

Honestly, I really don't think what you said is showing respect to Guest Friend or to Christians.  This site allows for people of other faiths to be here and discuss ideas and beliefs with you and others.  I'm a firm believer in that Muslims and Christians should have discussions together, peacefully and with respect.  As far as I know, none of us have insulted you or Islam, but rather, are having discussions about our faiths which is something good.  You are accusing us of not having read our own book which isn't true and possibly a fellow Muslim of having half a brain.  Not cool...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tdawg626 said:

As far as I know, none of us have insulted you or Islam,

If I was allowed to discuss all the rubbish in Islam’s history after prophet Muhammad’s in this web I would criticise certain people. Both Christianity and Islam after their prophets went away so much rubbish came after them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I like that idea too.  It is kind of saying we come to God "naked" we have nothing from this world or the next that we can rely on. 

I think taking sandals off to pray is a great reminder that we are on a journey and that journey ends (we take off our shoes) when we are in God's presence with nothing of our own.  I beleieve that at that point I'm clothed in God's righteousness through God's grace shown in Jesus the Messiah, otherwise I wouldn't be able to be found in his presence.  My "sandals" are dirty from my journey.

Can I say again how much I liked your poem!

Yes, taking off the sandals can mean salvation.

I have written a story about such a journey from the earth (from nafs) to infinity (where God is). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...