Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam Alaykom,

I've been a Twitter user myself for a very long time and honestly i don't think that i have ever come across a more toxic platform. There is so much division amongst members of society and religious sects on it. There are countless arguments on a daily basis amongst sects and other groups. At first i thought it due to Twitter's young users however this isn't the case, you get many full grown adults arguing on a daily basis too. It's as if they feed off it. What's your take on this? Do you share the same opinion? 

Just now, notme said:

The thing about social media is you can choose who to read, who to interact with, who to ignore, who to block. 

That having been said, I enjoy Twitter, but I'm a nobody there, shouting into the void, reading cool science stuff and a little bit of political journalism and random silliness. I've avoided following toxic people, and, though I haven't had to yet, wouldn't hesitate to block them if they wanted to pester me. 

Like most things, what you get depends on how you use it. 

I agree, definitely. The problem that i'm facing is that i have this stubbornness of just not wanting to block individuals and it's proven to be a problem. I just feel like Twitter users just want to argue and create drama, i guess that's how entertainment works on that website but it really does get irritating at times.

Semirelated: Twitter is one of the most unusable interfaces there are and one of the most boring sites to browse, for anything. 

I still struggle to understand it's appeal or purpose. 

Edited by al-Muttaqin

On 5/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, OmarEl said:

Salam Alaykom,

I've been a Twitter user myself for a very long time and honestly i don't think that i have ever come across a more toxic platform. There is so much division amongst members of society and religious sects on it. There are countless arguments on a daily basis amongst sects and other groups. At first i thought it due to Twitter's young users however this isn't the case, you get many full grown adults arguing on a daily basis too. It's as if they feed off it. What's your take on this? Do you share the same opinion? 

If you are going to say that twitter is a toxic platform, then the same thing can be applied to other social medias. Even Shiachat sometimes has heated arguments amongst users that I have also seen bullying and derogatory comments.

It really depends on you. Who you follow and how often you spend time on it. It also relies on you ignoring other people's judgement and criticism directed at you. Many people can also use social media in a healthy way too. 

As you've likely seen from my various posts that are links to Twitter, I find it very useful indeed. As @notme said earlier, it all depends on how you set up your account.

Someone may well have a completely different experience to yours, simply on account of who they follow on Twitter.

And I am guessing, but if Twitter sees you serially liking/following certain types of people etc. it may well suggest more such material to you ...

Perhaps it is time to start unfollowing some account and start following others.

16 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

I find it very useful indeed. As @notme said earlier, it all depends on how you set up your account.

My little sister has FB, but her connections are with people she already knows. None of this new-chatter-class of open-to-anyone platform comments.

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

My little sister has FB, but her connections are with people she already knows. None of this new-chatter-class of open-to-anyone platform comments.

My FB is toxic and stressful because almost all of my contacts are family. :(

Twitter is much happier because I can pick and choose based on my interests and values. You don't get to pick your family. 

6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

None of this new-chatter-class of open-to-anyone platform comments.

That's part of the attraction to me. The focus becomes the conversation and the topic of the conversation rather than the individuals behind it. So you become alerted to controversies that you otherwise would not have done.

Also if you want you can also see other points of view - more easily. 

Trump threatens to 'close' down social media platforms after Twitter fact checks claims on mail-in voting fraud

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2020/05/27/626241/Trump-Social-Media-Platforms

Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi warns about dangers of the internet, propagation ‎of doubts by enemies

AhlulBayt News Agency (ABNA): The revered source of emulation warned about the dangers of the internet and propagation ‎of doubts by the enemies and emphasized the use of the capacities of the Islamic ‎Seminaries to deal with these suspicions.‎

During his meeting with the director-general of the Intelligence Office of Qom ‎Province, Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem-Shirazi offered his congratulations on the birth ‎anniversary of Lady Fatimah al-Ma’sumah and said, “I hope that with your long history in the ‎field of information and social pathology, you can be a source of good effects in this ‎province.”‎

Referring to the role of Qom as a base for the Shi’a world, the source of emulation said, ‎‎“This is why the enemies have increased the pressure on this city through cultural, moral and ‎intelligence damage and we must stand up to it.”‎

Ayatollah Makarem-Shirazi warned of the dangers of the internet and the propagation of ‎doubts by the enemies and stressed upon the need to prevent damage and destruction ‎through the internet.‎

His Eminence recommended the maximum use of the power of the Islamic Seminaries of ‎Qom concerning this matter and said, “I hope that by planning and using these capacities, ‎you will achieve this important goal.”‎

At the beginning of the meeting, Hujjat al-Islam Salimi presented a report on the Intelligence ‎Office’s proposed programs for Qom province in accordance with the actions of the enemies ‎in the field of anti-religion, influence and espionage, companionship, cooperation and ‎synergy with the Islamic Seminaries of Qom.‎

https://en.abna24.com/news//ayatollah-makarem-shirazi-warns-about-dangers-of-the-internet-propagation-‎of-doubts-by-enemies_1050126.html

The algorithms on twitter are a bit over the top, I have an account but I don't comment and have hardly liked a post, but I follow a few people. Recently I keep getting notifications about tweets I might like, it keeps recommending that I look at these tweets by some young girls. They are always of the same nature, girls with no hijab, pouting, talking non-stop rubbish about supposed 'fake Shias' who are against this or against that, or haven't read this or not understood that.

Seriously when did things get so absurd that girls who don't even cover up online feel they have the right to publicly spew their rubbish and get away with it?

What is worse is that in the comments there are often these super rafidhi type guys egging them on, liking and commenting.

Twitter must be trolling me to suggest such rubbish, woe to us as a community who cultivate this kind of audacity in our women.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

I don't use social media at all because it's all toxic & is a govt surveillance platform that people opt-in to. Making throwaway comments on YouTube about my hatred of their censorship and Qanon stuff is what led to me spending 18 days in jail; inshallah I will get off with probation and not have to go back.

There is no such thing as free speech in America anymore. Criticize the wrong ideology or company and you'll end up in a 7 x 10' cell & if they can't make a case, they'll frame you up as a domestic terrorist despite your not having actually done anything.