Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Islam and OCD

Rate this topic

Guest SAB9

Salam Alaikum,

On Friday I wrote a thread explaining some issues that were happening to me.

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235066555-confused-about-life/

But Ive got another issue now. Im becoming extremely OCD about keeping my body free from najis. Let me give you a few examples

Today a little bit of water splashed on leather and onto my clothes (The leather product was made in Indonesia according to Sistani any country with a Muslim population above 2% you shouldnt worry). Still I didnt trust it and had to change my entire outfit and wash my legs

Whenever I’m in the toilet and I do my business it can take 20/30 minutes, this is because I need to make sure everything is clean. Thats not a problem, the issue for me is the doubts. I have a weird medical issue which in normal circumstances you may/may not have to do wudhu for (Sistani says dont worry but my mind does). This led me to doing ghusl 5x+ a week back during Ramadhan.

In prayer I cant focus straight and get so many distractions and some bad voices in my head, Ive learned the words of what Im praying to my language, but I still struggle to keep focused, sometimes I may mess up one word and, because of this I repeat the whole prayer. The issue got so bad I took nearly an hour to pray dhuhr today because I kept repeating it.

As you guys can probably appreciate this is getting very hard for me, I fear going out in public after lockdown touching najis things, using public restrooms etc. My OCD is driving me crazy and those around me are also becoming effected by it, what should I do? 

Guest SAB9

I just tried praying asr, 45 minutes in and my brain still cant think straight and try and not to think bad things during prayer. Thats 1 hr and 30 mins i have struggled to pray w required naamaz. Im on the point of a breakdown, it makes me not want to pray any additional prayers. 

please help me guys this is getting so hard

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Guest SAB9 said:

I just tried praying asr, 45 minutes in and my brain still cant think straight and try and not to think bad things during prayer. Thats 1 hr and 30 mins i have struggled to pray w required naamaz. Im on the point of a breakdown, it makes me not want to pray any additional prayers. 

please help me guys this is getting so hard

Salaam, 

I want to let you know I was in this position literally 2 years ago. And my doubts about najis were soooo bad like 3 years ago, they have kind of went down now, but still are kind of there. 

What I was doing for some time a few years ago was listening to (or you can recite) Surah Al-Ikhlas, Surah An-Nas, Surah Al-Falaq, Surah Al-Kafirun, and Ayatul Kursi before and every after prayer. I also tried to do this upon waking up and going to sleep. (For waking up, when I woke up for Fajr, I listened to those ayahs before praying, and then once more when I woke up the second time for my day). If you combine your prayers with Dhuhur/Asr and then Maghrib/Isha’ if you want you can read/listen to these ayahs just once before and after the pair). So once before/after Fajr. Once before/after Dhuhur/Asr and once before/after Maghrib Isha’. 

Also spend your time reading Qur’an in general, reciting du’a to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) asking for His help during this situation (I really stress this!!). Do not stop doing that. Never think, I think I’m not getting better so that means I have to stop reciting du’a for help. Keep doing so. It’s really important. Make other du’as to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in general. You can also learn more about Islam during your free time. 

When you are not doing those acts listed above, spend time with your family, talk to your friends, read a book, get some rest. Remember to be kind to yourself because you need to balance any anxiety that you are feeling in general. 

PLEASE NOTE: these are only suggestions and I am not a scholar. 

What also helped me is that I read that in Islam you have to be 100% sure that something is najis. Like 100%. Even if you’re like at 97% or 98% it’s not enough. If you’re doubtful as to whether or not something is najis you can’t put your mind under a feeling of stress and torment. 

You are not and are never alone. 

Edited by KnowledgeSeeker36
  • Unregistered
Posted (edited)

i think it's very common for muslims to have islamic ocd. where they are kinda afraid of wrong pronunciation or doing wudhu or or some other act of worhsip wrong.

i had it too when i was very young. I felt that if i did it wrong that my worship wouldn't be accepted or so.

I am pretty sure there are some specific rules when it comes to doubts of doing wudhu or ghusl or prayer wrong, and how one can correct them.

It hard for me to understand what the ocd is about. But as I said, islamic ocd is not uncommon. You can probably ask one of your family members or any lokal sheikh about the specific rulings during those circumstances.

lastly, dont forget that Allah is most merciful. And islam is not supposed to be cruel for ourselves. I believe when we practice islam correctly our body soul and mind is in close perfect nature.

Edited by AkhiraisReal
  • Unregistered
11 minutes ago, just_passing_by said:

Salam alikum,

you need medical help if your quality of life is being effected by your OCD. 
From medical standpoint: treatment is CBT and medication. Discuss it with professional psychiatrist. 

Is there anything medicine can't solve?

it seems like taking pills is the solution for everything................

Guest Kargilopa

I understand your problem well. 

If your mind presses you to it due fear of invalidity of your Tahara and Ibadah, and it has reached at a point you can't bear, just remember this verse from the holy book:

“Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear” (2:286)

6 hours ago, Guest SAB9 said:

Salam Alaikum,

On Friday I wrote a thread explaining some issues that were happening to me.

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235066555-confused-about-life/

But Ive got another issue now. Im becoming extremely OCD about keeping my body free from najis. Let me give you a few examples

Today a little bit of water splashed on leather and onto my clothes (The leather product was made in Indonesia according to Sistani any country with a Muslim population above 2% you shouldnt worry). Still I didnt trust it and had to change my entire outfit and wash my legs

Whenever I’m in the toilet and I do my business it can take 20/30 minutes, this is because I need to make sure everything is clean. Thats not a problem, the issue for me is the doubts. I have a weird medical issue which in normal circumstances you may/may not have to do wudhu for (Sistani says dont worry but my mind does). This led me to doing ghusl 5x+ a week back during Ramadhan.

In prayer I cant focus straight and get so many distractions and some bad voices in my head, Ive learned the words of what Im praying to my language, but I still struggle to keep focused, sometimes I may mess up one word and, because of this I repeat the whole prayer. The issue got so bad I took nearly an hour to pray dhuhr today because I kept repeating it.

As you guys can probably appreciate this is getting very hard for me, I fear going out in public after lockdown touching najis things, using public restrooms etc. My OCD is driving me crazy and those around me are also becoming effected by it, what should I do? 

Brother, learn from the verse of Quran where Allah (عزّ وجلّ) says referring to the mother of Hazrat Maryam (عليه السلام) when she said:"O! Allah (عزّ وجلّ), I have given birth to a girl". To which Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) replies: " I know that it is a girl". Bro, if you know that you had tried your best to concentrate in prayer and you did it, don't repeat because of voices". But if you missed Ruku or Sujood while you are sure, then prayer is void. If you have doubt then continue prayer finish it, and perform sajidah-e-sahw or if you have doubt regarding rakaats observe rakat-e-ahtiyt no need to repeat whole prayer. Allah (عزّ وجلّ) knows what you have prayed and if you forgot but you were sure, you didn't forget, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) accepts those prayers.

If you exercise something beyond your capacity then one day you may think to leave it. The solution is not to leave because that's what shaitan wants. You try you best, if doubts namaz-e-ahtiyat and sajida sahw. Doubt is wudu, wudu is fine. 

Repeat when you are likely 100% sure you didnt do wudu as taught by Islam.

Hadith:"Deeds are counted in accordance with intentions". 

• Advanced Member

iA the following will be helpful, read the whole post:

--

"The month of Ramadan that wherein the Qur'an was sent down to be a guidance for mankind, and as clear signs of guidance and a criterion (between right and wrong). Therefore, whoever of you is present (at his home) during the month, he shall fast therein and whoever is sick or on a journey, he shall then (fast) the same number of other days; Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire hardship for you; so you should complete the number (of days decreed), and exalt Allah for His having guided you, and that haply you might be grateful (to Him)."

--

The primary evidence is the hadith of Imam as-Sadiq, which is considered sahih and is narrated by Zurarah. He asked Imam as-Sadiq about whether or not a person who doubts if they have slept has to do wudhu again (since sleep invalidates wudhu):
‎لا حتى يستيقن انه قد نام حتى يجئ من ذلك أمر بين و إلا فإنّه على يقين من وضوئه و لا ينقض اليقين أبداً بالشك و لكن ينقضه بيقين آخر
No, not until he is absolutely certain that he has slept. This is because he was certain that he was on wudhu, and certainty is never broken by doubt. Certainty is only broken by another certainty.

https://www.iqraonline.net/principle-of-istishab-and-its-types/

--

You must watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2HGVepaC8

--

Extremely Useful Info (the whole book is extremely useful, not just this section):
-Read the “Our Outlook Towards Najasat” section! https://www.al-islam.org/ritual-and-spiritual-purity-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/i-najasat-taharat#e-our-outlook-towards-najasat

--

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235050864-regarding-ocd-in-religious-people/?tab=comments#comment-3207941

--

If you understand Urdu:
Watch from 37th min-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ37v_fXkp0
Watch from 32nd min - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyxrP0f7CXk

--

https://www.facebook.com/Mizan.Institute1/videos/712329195829459/

(they have other great videos which you may find useful)