Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

A Question for the Scholarly

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salam.

There is a saying by the infallibles (as); "Do not argue with the ignorant". I wish to apply it to myself and obey. Then could my dear brothers and sisters in faith be so kind and guide me with the identification and the definition of "juhalaa" / ignorant? Who are they? How do I know who is meant as a "jahil" in that hadith? Frankly, I consider myself a jahil. Please help me understand so I may apply the command to myself and obey the ma'sumeen (عليه السلام). How do I identify a Jahil? Is a Jahil like Abu Jehel? (This is a serious question and topic)

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

• Veteran Member
On 5/17/2020 at 4:33 PM, Moalfas said:

They tend to think they know it all (when the opposite is often true) and are unwilling to accept anything that goes against what they think to be true. 

By this standard, if we all follow it then there will be few discussions to be had on here. Brother are you sure this is from hadith?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, The Green Knight said:

By this standard, if we all follow it then there will be few discussions to be had on here. Brother are you sure this is from hadith?

I remember this from Nahjul Balagha 

One who imagines himself to be all-knowing will surely suffer on account of his ignorance.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, The Green Knight said:

Salam.

There is a saying by the infallibles (as); "Do not argue with the ignorant". I wish to apply it to myself and obey. Then could my dear brothers and sisters in faith be so kind and guide me with the identification and the definition of "juhalaa" / ignorant? Who are they? How do I know who is meant as a "jahil" in that hadith? Frankly, I consider myself a jahil. Please help me understand so I may apply the command to myself and obey the ma'sumeen (عليه السلام). How do I identify a Jahil? Is a Jahil like Abu Jehel? (This is a serious question and topic)

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

One who consider himself scholar is a jahil.  An scholar never acknowledges that he knows everything. If something good is uttered by him, he says to have learned it from Allah. If he commits a mistakes, he hold himself responsible and repents and is not obstinate about it. If he dont know, he learns. If he gets corrected he accepts. 

Opposite of him is jahil as said by Imam Ali (عليه السلام).

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, starlight said:

13 hours ago, The Green Knight said:

I remember this from Nahjul Balagha 

One who imagines himself to be all-knowing will surely suffer on account of his ignorance.

الامام علي عليه السلام

حسبُكَ من الجهل أن تُعجب بعِلمك

أمالي الطوسي: 56 / 78

Amaly AlTusi 65/78

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

الإمام علي (عليه السلام): إن الجاهل من عد نفسه بما جهل من معرفة العلم عالما، وبرأيه مكتفيا، فما يزال للعلماء مباعدا وعليهم زاريا، ولمن خالفه مخطئا، ولما لم يعرف من الأمور مضللا، فإذا ورد عليه من الأمور ما لم يعرفه أنكره وكذب به وقال بجهالته: ما أعرف هذا، وما أراه كان، وما أظن أن يكون، وأنى كان؟ وذلك لثقته برأيه وقلة معرفته بجهالته!.

فما ينفك بما يرى مما يلتبس عليه رأيه مما لا يعرف للجهل مستفيدا، وللحق منكرا، وفي الجهالة متحيرا، وعن طلب العلم مستكبرا.

تحف العقول: ٧٣.

Tuhaf ul-Uqool 73 

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) describes some traits of the Jahil that include:

- One who thinks of himself as knowledgeable in matters he has no knowldge of. 

- One who's unwilling to listen to others and thinks he knows best.

- He rejects everything that goes against what he thinks to be true and would say:

'I don't know it (the matter) to be like this, and I don't see it happened nor can happen and how could it happen?' 

This is due to his arrogance and his lack of knowledge of his own Jalaha/ignorance. 

(I've only paraphrased a part of the narration and will inshallah work on a full translation) 

Edited by Moalfas
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Moalfas said:

الإمام علي (عليه السلام): إن الجاهل من عد نفسه بما جهل من معرفة العلم عالما، وبرأيه مكتفيا، فما يزال للعلماء مباعدا وعليهم زاريا، ولمن خالفه مخطئا، ولما لم يعرف من الأمور مضللا، فإذا ورد عليه من الأمور ما لم يعرفه أنكره وكذب به وقال بجهالته: ما أعرف هذا، وما أراه كان، وما أظن أن يكون، وأنى كان؟ وذلك لثقته برأيه وقلة معرفته بجهالته!.

فما ينفك بما يرى مما يلتبس عليه رأيه مما لا يعرف للجهل مستفيدا، وللحق منكرا، وفي الجهالة متحيرا، وعن طلب العلم مستكبرا.

تحف العقول: ٧٣.

Tuhaf ul-Uqool 73 

Found it translated Tuhaf Al-Uqoul (published by Ansaryan) page 84/85:

'The actual ignorant is that who...

tuhaf ignorance low (2).jpg