Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night of power

Important question about ShiaChat Calendar - QADR

Rate this topic

Guest Night of power

Salamualykum,

On the calendar it states:

"Ramadan 21 is the day that Imam Ali AS was martyred. One of three days that could be Laylatul Qadr.  May Allah accept your mourning and remembering Imam Ali AS during the days and nights of the Holy Month of Ramadan. A book about him: "

Given the nights of Ramadhan come before the day, if tomorrow is the 21st day, then are we not in the 21st night? I normally have followed the mosque programmes, but given Covid-19 as i can't quite remember. 

Salam. Today is Ramadan 20 in the US and Canada.  It's the 20th day of fasting. Tonight (after Maghrib and Isha prayer) is the time of special prayers. 

9 minutes ago, Guest Night of power said:

Given the nights of Ramadhan come before the day, if tomorrow is the 21st day, then are we not in the 21st night? I normally have followed the mosque programmes, but given Covid-19 as i can't quite remember. 

If you use this terminology, then you can continue to do so, however, others do not call it that, so they will be confused. Today is Thursday in the US and Canada, but at sunset if someone calls it "the night of Friday" or "Friday night" it is confusing for people who do not know that the Arabic day starts at sunset. 

Guest quran and itrah
29 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

Salam. Today is Ramadan 20 in the US and Canada.  It's the 20th day of fasting. Tonight (after Maghrib and Isha prayer) is the time of special prayers. 

If you use this terminology, then you can continue to do so, however, others do not call it that, so they will be confused. Today is Thursday in the US and Canada, but at sunset if someone calls it "the night of Friday" or "Friday night" it is confusing for people who do not know that the Arabic day starts at sunset. 

Walaykum Salaam,

Barakallahufeek,

Just to clarify:

It's the 20th day in Europe as well, but, given it is now Maghrib here, it is the 21st Night. The Islamic days and nights work differently as you pointed out. The night is followed by the day it belongs to.

At Magrib time in the US and Canada soon, it will be the 21st Night. After Fajr (which will be past midnight naturally) it will become the 21st day. 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Ramadhan 21st (day) will be followed by Maghrib, which won't be the 21st night, but the 22nd night. If you want to commemorate the 21st Night of Ramadhan, would you not be doing it during Maghrib of the 20th day?

The dates given in the Calendar i.e. Ramadhan 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, are for the days. The nights precede the days so commemorating Laylatul Qadr on the 21st night should actually be today, no?

1 hour ago, Guest quran and itrah said:

If you want to commemorate the 21st Night of Ramadhan, would you not be doing it during Maghrib of the 20th day?

Salam. Yes, you clarified it well, even if new Muslims or new Reverts might misunderstand. At an Islamic venue, the time of commemorating the 21st Night of Ramadan and mourning the shahadat of Imam Ali AS will be after praying Maghrib and Isha, and breaking the fast (Iftar dinner). During this time of Covid-19, Islamic Centers are probably closed. Since you are commemorating at home, there are options in the time of praying 

1 After Maghrib and Isha prayers and Iftar dinner 

2 After Isha prayer (if you cannot stay up all night long)

3 After Shar'i Midnight (it is not 1200 AM or 2400 by your clock)

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/calendar/event/625-ramadan-20-ahya-tonight/

5 hours ago, Guest Night of power said:

I normally have followed the mosque programmes, but given Covid-19 as i can't quite remember. 

The schedule is likely up to date on the mosque's website and they may even be holding live programs over the internet.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy